Relaxer Stretchers Support Thread

Aggie

I've actually been using yogurt mixed with an egg and either olive oil or castor oil as my weekly protein treatment. My hair seems to like it.

It's weird but yogurt, whole eggs and milks are a :nono: for my hair as well but it sure loves aloe vera gel with a reconstructor as a prepoo. This combination really makes my hair super soft and very strong - little to no breakage even though I am so deep into my relaxer stretch.

baddison

natural for good
Baddison, I agree with Terri. Using a mild weekly reconstructor past 8 or 9 weeks really helps and makes a difference in the amount of breakage you may or may not experience throughout a long relaxer stretch.

I am 32 weeks post today and have been using a mild protein /reconstructor every week to every 2 weeks for the last 6 months or so and it really did help a lot. Even while I wore my braids, I would dilute and still use it.

My hair is a lot softer and more manageable overall, much easier than the last long stretch of 5 months.

Thanks much, Aggie :drunk:

Reecie

I'm checking in! I'm currently 8 weeks post. I did a protein conditioner wash yesterday with Joico KPak Reconstructing Shampoo :lick: followed by a DC with Keracare Humecto. My hair feels amazing and my NG is very strong, soft, and managable.

I am planning on stretching this relaxer until the 12 week point (end of Sep). Then I am going for a 17-18 week stretch after than into the New Year.

Happy New Growth ladies!!!:lachen:

Khaiya

That's where i've been falling short: the weekly mild protein, i need to pick up hte slack on that or i'm not gonna make it to 24 weeks.

ellehair

Just finished week 13 of a 16 week stretch.. I have the urge to relax every 10 minutes, lol.. But I am not giving in.. I took down my corn rows and did a protein treatment wit AO GBP and then washed with con and dc'd with pantene mask mixed with EVOO and honey and hair was just okay.. I bunned overnight and did the scarf method and hair was flat and nice and soft this morning.. if i could just get rid of these craving, lol!

Oh I lost a bit of hair in the detangling but I figue alot was shed hair, most of it was anyway.. But how do you know when its too much! I always think anything over 20 hairs is crazy and I NEED to relax immediately.. so the question is about how much hair is everyone losing at a detangling session after about 13 weeks??

aquajoyice

Well i'm officially 21 weeks post!!!! And I just recieved my order of Mega Tek and started using it last night. I mixed it with EVOO and coconut oil... not sure if it was the right thing to do but I did it. The bad thing is the EVOO seperated from the MT and I had to constantly stir it in between applications. It was somewhat of a challenge to part with all of the new growth but I added water to help separate. I'm hoping to gain as much growth and thickness as possible before my texlax on Oct 15th.. which will be just in time for the Maxwell concert on the 17nth!!!!! I love me some Maxwell! So we will see, but so far so good i'm trucking along with not too much of a struggle like I initially expected.

Platinum

I'm 19 weeks post and rocking Senegalese Twists. I use Surge 14 and Worlds of Curls moisturizing spray every other day and baggy at night.

ellehair

Well i'm officially 21 weeks post!!!! And I just recieved my order of Mega Tek and started using it last night. I mixed it with EVOO and coconut oil... not sure if it was the right thing to do but I did it. The bad thing is the EVOO seperated from the MT and I had to constantly stir it in between applications. It was somewhat of a challenge to part with all of the new growth but I added water to help separate. I'm hoping to gain as much growth and thickness as possible before my texlax on Oct 15th.. which will be just in time for the Maxwell concert on the 17nth!!!!! I love me some Maxwell! So we will see, but so far so good i'm trucking along with not too much of a struggle like I initially expected.

omg ME too, lOL
Make sure you share after the concert:yep:

Khaiya

I'll be 10 weeks post on Friday and so far its been a breeze (aside from some tangling issues i had as a result of straying from my reggie, WONT be doing that again!!) I bought Suave Daily Moisture Conditioner and i loved how it made my hair feel when i cowashed with it but i've had so much trouble finding a moisturizer and i just decided to test it out one day and man i am so glad i did!!

Its AMAZING, my hair looks like i'm maybe just 2 weeks post or so, its so flat and smooth and tangle free! It stays soft and the moisture is insane! Even without oil if i rub my hair there's still a light sheen on my hands. Trust me, this has been my lifesaver. If i had to choose 1 thing that has been the most significant for my stretch, this would be it. I just use it on dry hair as a moisturizer now, i dont even need to use it everyday cause it leaves my hair so moisturized for days after, especially if i seal with EVOO, its INSANE!!

Ok, thats enough ranting for one day, catch you guys later.

aquajoyice

Yes girl!! I am soo excited it's like a month away but I can't wait and my birthday is right around the corner after that so it's going to be double the fun ;) I'll post some pics on my Fotki for all my Maxwell lovers :D

beans4reezy

Question for you long term stretchers...is it more accurate to go by number of weeks (24wks=6 months) or to go by the calendar ( 1 month = March 28 - April 28)?

Nice Lady

I am stretching for 12 weeks or longer. I am going to be 10 weeks post and I have a tremedous amount of new growth. My strategy since I am stretching without weaves or braids or twists, is to decrease manipulation and slap a wig on it.

My bestfriends have been Sta-SoFro spray, castor oil on the scalp and using deep moisturizing treatments.

lovenharmony

ET / OT Bonafide Member
Forgot to add my reggie. I shampoo with pantene clarifying shampoo once a week, use Roux Porosity control to make sure moisture gets in and condition with Pantene full & volumous conditioner. I use unrefined shea Butter as my leave in and protective style in a bun every day. My last stretch lasted 7 months (28 weeks) and hopefully I can make it to a full year since my last relaxer in May.

baddison

natural for good
Question for you long term stretchers...is it more accurate to go by number of weeks (24wks=6 months) or to go by the calendar ( 1 month = March 28 - April 28)?

I can only relax on Saturdays. So its important that every relaxer day falls on a Saturday for me. I usually count by weeks. As soon as my relaxer process is done, and the hair treated, dried, and styled, I go to the calendar and start counting my 13 or 17 weeks from today. I put a big red X on that Saturday.....and then I start my countdown again.:grin:

Khaiya

Forgot to add my reggie. I shampoo with pantene clarifying shampoo once a week, use Roux Porosity control to make sure moisture gets in and condition with Pantene full & volumous conditioner. I use unrefined shea Butter as my leave in and protective style in a bun every day. My last stretch lasted 7 months (28 weeks) and hopefully I can make it to a full year since my last relaxer in May.

Wow, you use a clarifying shampoo weekly without it drying your hair out?

ellehair

Baddison - How did the relaxer go!! I broker down at 15 weeks when I should've been over here getting some support, lol I am back to square one, this time stretching for 14-16 weeks again.

@beans - I count by weeks, I think its more accurate.

baddison

natural for good
Baddison - How did the relaxer go!! I broker down at 15 weeks when I should've been over here getting some support, lol I am back to square one, this time stretching for 14-16 weeks again.

@beans - I count by weeks, I think its more accurate.

Relaxer went quite well. Thanks for asking. Its like second nature to me now. The more you do it, the better at it you're gonna get! My updates are posted in my fotki, password in profile.

Take a look-see. I was a bit disappointed at my progress, but all the love I got from my LHCF made me see that my hair is actually doing quite well. I fully expect to be APL by Dec. 31st of this year. This is really great, 'cause I can then dedicate 2010 to achieveing my final goal of BSL.

:yep:

Nayeli

13 weeks post today - the ng is starting to get to me. I want to stretch till December but I'm not sure how much longer I can hang on.

Nayeli

Nayeli - how have you been! Just wanted to shout you out, you know you are one of my hair inspirations!:grin::grin:

Come on.. commit to it. I am planning to relax on December 18th. I'll be 22 weeks post on that date which will put me at 5 and 1/2 months too.

I am even planning to splurge on the entire Mizani Butter Blends system to do my home relaxer.

Although, now that I have figured out that my hair HATES hard proteins with a passion, this stretch is going much better than the last 14 week stretch so I am considering not relaxing until April 30th. That would give me a 41 week or 10 month stretch. I have to relax then because I have a HUGE event the following week.

Hey ljamie! I'm good. Thanks so much for the compliment! I'm trying to thicken my hair now as well as hold on to this stretch for dear life lol.

Smartypants - I'm trying....I'm really really trying. Some days are easier than others. I'm hanging in there because I know my hair needs it.

Aggie

Hey ljamie! I'm good. Thanks so much for the compliment! I'm trying to thicken my hair now as well as hold on to this stretch for dear life lol.

Smartypants - I'm trying....I'm really really trying. Some days are easier than others. I'm hanging in there because I know my hair needs it.

You can do it Nayeli. Just keep your eyes on the prize and that is your ultimate end results. Know that holding on a little longer will get you at the desired finish line honey.

hurricane

Oh thank God I found this thread. I am 12 weeks post. I can just run my hand down the length of my hair and there are some broken off strands. Not ready to relax but my hair is going through withdrawls for the " creamy crack".

Should I do an egg and mayo hair treatment. Did a henna treatment and a tea rinse and still experiencing some strand loss. HELP!!!!!

aquajoyice

I'll be 25 weeks post tomorrow!! And I can't wait to texlax!!! It's so bad ya'll i'm dreaming about my hair, LOL! Yeah I know i'm twisted. I can no longer detangle my hair at this point, I finger comb and just let it be. I needed some added support so I watched Sylver's videos.. again for the millionth time for reassurance that it's okay not to be totally detangled. I think I have like 2 more weeks to go til Oct 16th. I will create a thread and post pics and I will be doing vids, becuase only by the grace of God himself is what got me through this. It is a double edged sword though just becuase i've gone so long without relaxing i've gotten use to not relaxing. And my newgrowth looks thick and healthy and even shiny when it's not rebelling. Hmm may consider going natural soon.. just a thought.

Khaiya

Ya'll make my 13 weeks seem measly, LOL but its all good, i'm still super proud of myself, this is my longest stretch ever so far and its going surprisingly easy. I learn new things everyday that helps me tame it even more easily, i even had somebody ask me if i just relaxed! I was over the moon cause for me thats the sign that i have the control down pat. Still aiming for 26 weeks and i'm confident i can make it, this stretch has been really good cause the low manipulation makes me retain more of my length so my hair seems to be growing faster than ever before just cause i'm not breaking it off. Happy Stretching to all.