relaxer stretchers support thread 2010

sharifeh

Nooo...I don't have it. Thanks for the rec! I'm a PJ in recovery, so I can't use it right away, but I'll definitely keep it in mind when the detox process is over. :lol:

I am too girl! I'm a PJ too! What moisturizers/leave ins do you have in your stash? Let's see what can be good for your ng besides s-curl.

NikkiGirl

I relaxed last on Decemeber 31st. So I am three weeks post tomorrow. I was never a frequent relaxer, so it should be cool. The last time I stretched for four months. Didn't count weeks, just from the first day of September to the last day of December. I am thinking about relaxing the first week of May, but last time I gave myself four months to reach a goal, I did reach it. But I felt I should have had more growth. So I don't know. I guess I will see what happens. I might relax at five months. That would put me at the beginning of June. What do you ladies think?

grow

great idea, Blacksapphire!!

i see all of those double digit pages and go...another day, another time and they just don't get read.

thanks for starting us off fresh!

grow

LOL!

And sorry about the underprocessing...that's such an important tip to remember, like to make sure that your newgrowth is clean enough to process fully. But then, it's so hard, because it gets all dry and crunchy...like, how do you just put nothing on your new growth for a week? :perplexed

one thing i learned on here that might be helpful w/the underprocessing is to clean the hair w/ a clarifying shampoo only 3-5 days before relaxing. (i used to wait a week till i had too much junk on my hair)

another thing this board has taught me for the dry crunchies while waiting for the relaxer is coconut oil or castor oil on the scalp.

i drenched my scalp in coconut oil the night before the relaxer, plus relaxed only 4 days after my clarifying wash, and i've NEVER had hair this straight AND soft!

(p.s. i also put oil in my relaxer and in the protein pack i used before the neutralizing shampoo)

hth&hhg!

jahzyira

Thanks OP for starting a new thread! Im 6 months post for the first time in my relaxer journey and its been quite intriguing.... ive finally found a good regimen, found my staple products, and ive finally found some good moisturizers. As of lately, im still in large individual braids tucked away under a wig. Ceramide conditioners, S-curl, Wave Nouveau, and wheat germ oil have been my dearest friends. Ive recently started baggying my whole head 2-3 times a week to keep the dryness at bay. As of now im on a mission... im seriously thinking of taking this opportunity to stretch till the summer or stretch till the end of the year making it 18 months.:drunk: But, im really very tempted to relax at 30 weeks post for my birthday.:look:

Ms. Feliz

I'm stretching my relaxer too.
I'm 4 weeks post, going for 12 weeks. I want to stretch longer, but my last relaxer was a little underprocessed. I usually leave some texture to my hair, but this is too much.
So I'm going to shorten the stretch this time around to make it easier for the stylist to correct the underprocessed bits.

I actually think that this stretch will be easy...12 weeks isn't long at all.

And OT, but Ms. Feliz your mom has gorgeous hair!
What's her regimen?

She has no regimen lol. No really, she doesn't. She doesn't wash her hair often (she says it grows better) and she flat irons sometimes. She protective styles a lot but she doesn't realize that's what she's doing. Her hair is relaxed but it always reverts so she sleeps in a bun and usually wears a bun to work.

great idea, Blacksapphire!!

i see all of those double digit pages and go...another day, another time and they just don't get read.

thanks for starting us off fresh!

:lachen: that sounds exactly like me, and then there might be a question I need to ask but feel like it's been asked already and I don't want to repeat the question...but I don't feel like reading all those pages to look for the question and the answer :ohwell: ....... so I just thought eh new thread :drunk:

Thanks OP for starting a new thread! Im 6 months post for the first time in my relaxer journey and its been quite intriguing.... ive finally found a good regimen, found my staple products, and ive finally found some good moisturizers. As of lately, im still in large individual braids tucked away under a wig. Ceramide conditioners, S-curl, Wave Nouveau, and wheat germ oil have been my dearest friends. Ive recently started baggying my whole head 2-3 times a week to keep the dryness at bay. As of now im on a mission... im seriously thinking of taking this opportunity to stretch till the summer or stretch till the end of the year making it 18 months.:drunk: But, im really very tempted to relax at 30 weeks post for my birthday.:look:

your welcome jahzyira! @ the bolded I've tried the wave nouveau and wheat germ oil in a spray bottle with water and applied to my new growth it was so moisturized for a good couple of days:lick: I kept touching my ng I was so impressed.

LifeCoach

Last relaxer: Aug. 26th, 2010
Next relaxer: July 17th, 2010....approximately 48weeks (11 months)
Longest Stretch: 59 weeks

Miss Monae

I am in...I am currently 8 weeks post and will go to 19 weeks. My BDay is in April and I am going to Vegas. Otherwise, I would go the full 6 months :yep::yep:

SHEANITPRO

My last perm was Jan 1, 2010 after a 21 week stretch..my next perm will be July 1, 2010!

I'm praying for good progress over the next six months.

Chaosbutterfly

Transition Over
LOL exactly @ the bolded!!!!
I really didn't know how to stretch properly either, just a bad situation altogether.

I should read the threads on Mizani butter blends. what do you use?

I've used so many relaxers on this crazy hair of mine.
For a long time, I used Precise, which I actually loved. Got my hair bone straight with no burns...my mom made me stop using it, but I don't remember why. :perplexed
Then I used Motions for a while. I liked that too, until my stylist started charging extra for it. She wanted like 60 dollars to relax with it, so I told her nah son. :look:
Then, I used Creme of Nature and ORS No Lye alternately. Creme of Nature burned the holy hell from my scalp every time I used it and ORS No Lye left me really underprocessed.
The last time I relaxed, I tried Design Essentials Lo-Lye Shea Butter. Like I said, it was slightly underprocessed, but I noticed that my hair felt the strongest and most moisturized its ever felt after a relaxer. And no burns.
My first thought is to stay with DE, because my hair really felt great with it, but I do want to try out Linange Shea Butter. So I may try that, and if it's not a improvement over Design Essentials, then I'll be sticking with DE forever, amen.

I am too girl! I'm a PJ too! What moisturizers/leave ins do you have in your stash? Let's see what can be good for your ng besides s-curl.

LOL, PJs unite! :grin:
Let's see..in my stash I have Care Free Curl Moisturizer, Hawaiian Silky 14 in 1, Wave Nouveau Finishing Lotion, Hollywood Beauty Carrot Creme, Avocado Butter, Sunflower Butter, Qhemet Biologics Amla and Olive Heavy Cream, Qhemet Biologics Olive and Honey Hydrating Balm, Mizani H20 Intense Nighttime, Elasta QP Mango Butter, Shea Butter, Cantu Oil Moisturizer, Taliah Waajid Protective Bodifier Mist, SheScentIt CocoCreme Leave-In, Aussie Hair Insurance Leave-In, and Herbal Essence's LTR Leave-In. And water. :look:

I'm hoping that my new growth will like the Amla and Olive Heavy Cream...the site said that it was good for dry, thirsty 4a-4b hair, which is EXACTLY what my new growth is. :lol:

sharifeh

oh wow! That is one impressive stash!
the qhemet amla and olive heavy cream should be great! let me know how it works!!

Let's see..in my stash I have Care Free Curl Moisturizer, Hawaiian Silky 14 in 1, Wave Nouveau Finishing Lotion, Hollywood Beauty Carrot Creme, Avocado Butter, Sunflower Butter, Qhemet Biologics Amla and Olive Heavy Cream, Qhemet Biologics Olive and Honey Hydrating Balm, Mizani H20 Intense Nighttime, Elasta QP Mango Butter, Shea Butter, Cantu Oil Moisturizer, Taliah Waajid Protective Bodifier Mist, SheScentIt CocoCreme Leave-In, Aussie Hair Insurance Leave-In, and Herbal Essence's LTR Leave-In. And water. :look:

I'm hoping that my new growth will like the Amla and Olive Heavy Cream...the site said that it was good for dry, thirsty 4a-4b hair, which is EXACTLY what my new growth is. :lol:

grow

Thank you, Chaosbutterfly for the news!

i have alot of butters, too, but am not quite sure how to use them without that heavy feeling.

how do you use yours?

do you know if they are already made with alot of water in them?

i've read that oil DOES NOT moisturize hair and that it is the mix of oil AND water that really does moisturize hair, but how does one get that perfect mix?
i've tried one part oil to three parts water, but it seems to slide off my hair and when changing the amounts it just doesn't feel creamy enough.

also, how do you keep that oil from getting on the relaxed part cuz the last thing i'd want would be oily, greasy hair....lol.

thanks!

jahzyira

your welcome jahzyira! @ the bolded I've tried the wave nouveau and wheat germ oil in a spray bottle with water and applied to my new growth it was so moisturized for a good couple of days:lick: I kept touching my ng I was so impressed.

Oh yes I have almost 3 inches of new growth and it feels so moist and delicious. Its the only reason im able to stretch so long.........

growinstrong

currently 11 weeks post and trying to go as long as possible. Planned on relaxing at 14 weeks post, but will assess the condition of my hair before doing so. Hair is currently dry and plan on doing a moisture treatment this weekend with conditoner and oils overnight and co-wash afterwards :yep:.

janeemat

For 2010 I'm only stretching 12 wks. That will be 4 relaxers a year. My last stretch was 20 wks and I did not see any difference in my hair from a 12 wk stretch. It was a whole lot of detangling and fighting with my hair for nothing. My 2 textures do not like each other. Hats off 2 all of the long stretchers.

Ms. Feliz

Well I got my boundless tresses in the mail today. If I experience growth like people say it gives I might have to rethink going on a 6 month stretch.

baddison

natural for good
Well I got my boundless tresses in the mail today. If I experience growth like people say it gives I might have to rethink going on a 6 month stretch.

Which product did you order - the liquid? or the hair balm?

Personally, I like the hair balm...and with consistent use, you WILL see increased growth/thickness in your hair!!:yep::yep: I sure did.

TamedTresses

I hope to stretch for 12 weeks (3/12/10). I am 5 weeks post. My last relaxer was on 12/18/09. I always do my own hair, but after taking 2 days to take out my kinky twist I was feeling lazy so I went to the salon and the stylist overprocessed my hair. :wallbash: That's what I get for being lazy. Luckily, my hair is doing just fine. I just don't like my hair bone-straight. :nono: It's so overprocessed my new growth is coming in straight. :lachen: Just kidding :grin:

I normally relax every month and 6 weeks used to be a stretch, but what the heck... I think I can do this! I plan to put my hair in some cornrows for part of this stretch, but I am staying far away from single braids...takes too long to get them done, they are always too tight, takes too long to take them out *sighs* just not for me.

Chaosbutterfly

Transition Over
Thank you, Chaosbutterfly for the news!

i have alot of butters, too, but am not quite sure how to use them without that heavy feeling.

how do you use yours?

do you know if they are already made with alot of water in them?

i've read that oil DOES NOT moisturize hair and that it is the mix of oil AND water that really does moisturize hair, but how does one get that perfect mix?
i've tried one part oil to three parts water, but it seems to slide off my hair and when changing the amounts it just doesn't feel creamy enough.

also, how do you keep that oil from getting on the relaxed part cuz the last thing i'd want would be oily, greasy hair....lol.

thanks!

My butter use depends mostly on the kind of butter I'm using, and as far as I know, there is no water in any of them. I don't use shea butter on my hair at all, unless I'm smoothing my nape and edges with it. I use avocado butter straight, because for my hair, it is quite moisturizing on its own. For sunflower butter, I lightly mist my hair with a mixture of water and a small amount of conditioner. Then I apply the sunflower butter to seal in the stuff. With relaxed hair and natural butters, I just think that the most important thing is to go easy on the stuff.

As for the perfect mix, I don't know what that is. Everyone's hair is different, so the only way for you to know is to try out different mixes and see what your hair likes best. But I would tell you to try layering the items on your hair, instead of pre-mixing them. So instead of trying to mix oil and water, put some water or moisturizer on your hair and then follow up with the oil or butter. This will take some experimentation, because you have to figure out how much of each will give you good results without weighing down your hair, but ultimately, I think you'll be more satisfied doing it that way.

And I don't try to keep the oil from my relaxed hair. I rub it on allll overr.
I do try lighten my hand when I get to my relaxed ends though, so there's less oil on them than on my new growth.
hth!

Ms. Feliz

Which product did you order - the liquid? or the hair balm?

Personally, I like the hair balm...and with consistent use, you WILL see increased growth/thickness in your hair!!:yep::yep: I sure did.

I ordered the liquid. I used it for the first time yesterday and man does that stuff stink. How often do you use yours? I was thinking about using it everyday, hopefully I can get used to the scent.

My last relaxer/touch-up was Dec 5th 09....soo i am about 6 weeks in. I usually would get a touch put every 2-3 months but I am going to try to transition. something new. and i am finding my way to making a regimen also. i have started putting a lot of protein APHOGEE in my hair so the middle back is broken off severely but the new growth is blossoming in. so its trial and error for now.