relaxer stretchers support thread 2010

grow

My butter use depends mostly on the kind of butter I'm using, and as far as I know, there is no water in any of them. I don't use shea butter on my hair at all, unless I'm smoothing my nape and edges with it. I use avocado butter straight, because for my hair, it is quite moisturizing on its own. For sunflower butter, I lightly mist my hair with a mixture of water and a small amount of conditioner. Then I apply the sunflower butter to seal in the stuff. With relaxed hair and natural butters, I just think that the most important thing is to go easy on the stuff.

As for the perfect mix, I don't know what that is. Everyone's hair is different, so the only way for you to know is to try out different mixes and see what your hair likes best. But I would tell you to try layering the items on your hair, instead of pre-mixing them. So instead of trying to mix oil and water, put some water or moisturizer on your hair and then follow up with the oil or butter. This will take some experimentation, because you have to figure out how much of each will give you good results without weighing down your hair, but ultimately, I think you'll be more satisfied doing it that way.

And I don't try to keep the oil from my relaxed hair. I rub it on allll overr.
I do try lighten my hand when I get to my relaxed ends though, so there's less oil on them than on my new growth.
hth!

Dear Chaosbutterfly,

THANK YOU!!!
i really appreciate all of your very useful tips and will apply them asap!
also your insight into the butters really helps alot!
you have been extrememly helpful and i'm grateful!!!

baddison

natural for good
I ordered the liquid. I used it for the first time yesterday and man does that stuff stink. How often do you use yours? I was thinking about using it everyday, hopefully I can get used to the scent.

I apply the balm to my clean scalp 2x's per week on wash days only. That's the only time I comb/detangle my hair, so I have the opportunity to part to my scalp and apply the balm. I don't find the smell to be that bad at all. I actually like the peppermint undertones...:yep:

i'm 9 weeks post right now... i plan on stretching for a total of 35 weeks :perplexed i'm in a sew in right now and my plan is to get back to back sew ins (with 1 week breaks in between) until my relaxer... hopefully, i'll be able to do this... we shall see... i wish you all much success on your stretching!

taj

I'm currently 16 weeks post and I intend on relaxing in May or June. My longest stretch was for a year. I'll come back to post my regimen.

Vanity1

I just relaxed this past Saturday; I stretched for 3 months. That is average for me. I would like to stretch a little longer this time. I think I will experiment a little with this. If I can hold out until May, I think that will be good.

Tamrin

unapologetic
Im 6 months post and I decided to transition. As I type Im putting my hair in kinky twists. I have too much new growth to try to manage right now. Protective styling is my only saving grace.

jahzyira

YAY! I finally got a digicam! Current hair is in my siggy... Didnt know my hair was so shiny, then again maybe its the flash. Since I gotta rebraid and my megatek comes today, im so tempted to press and do a length check.

YAY! I finally got a digicam! Current hair is in my siggy... Didnt know my hair was so shiny, then again maybe its the flash. Since I gotta rebraid and my megatek comes today, im so tempted to press and do a length check.
your hair looks beautiful jahzyira! I doubt it's the flash it looks shiny and healthy from all angles :grin:

4evershika

27 weeks post and starting to get the relaxer itch.... only three more weeks to make it to my goal of 30 wks...

grow

i have a question for you ladies who are beyond shoulder length:

once your hair had more weight, as in going down your back, did any of you notice that it was easier to stretch relaxers?

my theory is that maybe the longer our hair gets, the easier it is to stretch relaxers (of course, always depending on hair texture), but i'd be really curious to know what differences you longer haired ladies have noticed.

thanks alot!

Last edited:

VirGoViXxEn

im relaxing on Saturday after 22 weeks! My Longest stretch ever. I am going to see how beneficial this is for my hair. If i notice improvement i plan to stretch longer next time probably 8 months.

brucebettye

I texlaxed my hair in December (don't remember the date). I will texlax again sometime in the summer or fall. It depends on how fast my hair grows.

NJoy

Here I grow again!
I gotta crawl before I can walk. I thought I could hang with the big dawgs. I can usually go 10-12 weeks before absolutely having to get a touch up. And even then, I can't comb down to the roots.

I'm at 4.5 weeks and I'm looking a hot mess. My roots are crazy. I'm not using heat so, I'm washing and bunning or putting in two buns. Here's a pic I just took sitting here. It looks wet but it's not. I slid a section of my hair over so that you can see underneath. *sigh* I am not going to make it. I'm not going to make it. I'm already at the point of not being able to show this madness in public. Somebody talk me down before I....before I...arrrgggghhh!!!!

(If I didn't know that this was my head, I'd be totally grossed out)

I'm happy to have NG but, wow. How long can I go looking like this? And this was smoothed into a bun while wet. Started out harmless but the NG started to rebel as it dried. Sort of like the Hulk. *sigh* Where IS my scarf? And how will I be able to go out on date night tomorrow? I'm going to have to learn how to do the decorative wraps with scarves to cover my hair and still look fabulous. What are you all doing while you're stretching? I don't know WHAT I'm going to do tomorrow night. :nono:

ETA: I'm amazed at those of you holding out for more than 12 weeks. WOW!!!

Last edited:

Chaosbutterfly

Transition Over
I gotta crawl before I can walk. I thought I could hang with the big dawgs. I can usually go 10-12 weeks before absolutely having to get a touch up. And even then, I can't comb down to the roots.

I'm at 4.5 weeks and I'm looking a hot mess. My roots are crazy. I'm not using heat so, I'm washing and bunning or putting in two buns. Here's a pic I just took sitting here. It looks wet but it's not. I slid a section of my hair over so that you can see underneath. *sigh* I am not going to make it. I'm not going to make it. I'm already at the point of not being able to show this madness in public. Somebody talk me down before I....before I...arrrgggghhh!!!!

(If I didn't know that this was my head, I'd be totally grossed out)

I'm happy to have NG but, wow. How long can I go looking like this? And this was smoothed into a bun while wet. Started out harmless but the NG started to rebel as it dried. Sort of like the Hulk. *sigh* Where IS my scarf? And how will I be able to go out on date night tomorrow? I'm going to have to learn how to do the decorative wraps with scarves to cover my hair and still look fabulous. What are you all doing while you're stretching? I don't know WHAT I'm going to do tomorrow night. :nono:

ETA: I'm amazed at those of you holding out for more than 12 weeks. WOW!!!

It really doesn't look bad. Not at alll. And it shouldn't feel that unmanageable already...what products are you using?
And when you air dry, then do you do the scarf method? I don't use it, but I've seen pictures, and it really flattens out new growth.
Or if you can, or are willing to learn how, maybe try rollersetting. My hair is 4a/4b, and a good, tight (not too tight) rollerset will sufficiently stretch out my roots until about 10 weeks post.

Don't give up! :hug2:

TamedTresses

I am trying to stretch for 14 weeks. I was planning to stretch for 12 weeks, but I have an event the last weekend in March so I will stretch it an additional 2 weeks. Bring on the braids :blush: because I have no intention to deal with my unruly hair for 14 weeks.

I also realized that I stretched my last relaxer for 12 weeks, because I waited 5 weeks before putting in kinky twists and I wore it for 7 weeks. It was not an intentional stretch BUT I am taking the credit for it anyway! :lachen: I hope to get down to relaxing no more than 4 times a year.

NJoy

Here I grow again!
It really doesn't look bad. Not at alll. And it shouldn't feel that unmanageable already...what products are you using?
And when you air dry, then do you do the scarf method? I don't use it, but I've seen pictures, and it really flattens out new growth.
Or if you can, or are willing to learn how, maybe try rollersetting. My hair is 4a/4b, and a good, tight (not too tight) rollerset will sufficiently stretch out my roots until about 10 weeks post.

Don't give up! :hug2:

Does the scarf method mean wrapping my hair really tight while it's wet? I usually just pull it into a bun or buns so that it can air dry that way. I started out wrapping my hair tightly with a scarf at night but someone on a thread said that keeps your edges and nape from growing. So, I don't smoosh to flatten. But, the smoothing and bunning starts out well. Then it turns to something I'd call someone out on. :blush:

This is my first month and I started with a recent relaxing and have just always felt crazy whenever I can't comb out my roots. (I get that from my mom who would die if she saw my hair today). I want to hold out but I really need suggestions on how to look decent while stretching or I won't feel good about myself.

I have no styling skills and would have to get a hairdresser to do a roller set. :blush: Even my two french braids look isn't working. I feel like a hot mess.

I tried a braid out but, it only looked cute from a distance. Wish I had a hat head but hats look ridiculous on me. :sad: I feel jacked. Thanks for that hug.

Wish I could get that cool wave pattern that some of you get in the front with new growth. Mine just looks like a weave on top of a rug. *sniff*

Last edited:

Chaosbutterfly

Transition Over
That's the long and short of it.
It's true that tying hair tightly overnight will kill your edges and nape, but it takes a while to actually happen. Just tying your hair down tightly until it dries up shouldn't hurt anything. Just move the location of the knot from time to time, and you should be fine. Here's sylver2's fotki album that shows pictures of how to do it and what the end results are. I think if you stretch with your hair loose (not braided or weaved up) and don't use heat, then the scarf method will be your best bet for going outside not looking a HAM :

http://public.fotki.com/sylver2/relaxer-stretching-/post_relaxer_journe/

ETA: found a video! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aj73YI8vBUA
The only thing is that I don't recommend really...pulling the scarf back like that. I really think that it'll eat up your edges. I think just tying it down nice and firm will be enough to press everything down.

As for the two french braids, I think you might have to put that look away the further you get into the stretch. I find that it's not hard to smooth down the growth around the edges and top, but once you part that hair....POOF. It'll all come out to play.
And I feel you on the combing thing...my mom taught me to comb my hair every single day (even though she like never combs hers, she just puts it in a bun or ponytail with her fingers). So the whole no combing the roots thing was hard for me too. Eventually, you just get used to it, and as you learn more about how to style your hair, you probably won't even feel the need to do it. :yep:

:lachen: :lachen: :lachen: @ weave on top of a rug!! Lord, I shed a tear. I promise, from the picture you showed, it really doesn't look like that!

Last edited:

MimiC

Hi ladies! My first post...I'm at 12 wks today and so far so good. Trying to stretch to 21 wks and i think I can make it. I just DC'd with lekair cholesterol and co-washed with megatek and MT and my hair is feelin and lookin good. Woo-hooo! So thanks to all you ladies for all your tips. I even started a regime for my 6 yr old daughter. I box-braided her hair and hoping it will last another 3 wks. Wish you could see what she's doing now - she's moisturing her hair and ends with Kids Organ. Shea butter. She even has her scarf and cap ready - you go girl. So here's to all you great ladies for sharing:clapping:. Will keep you posted of our progress.. :blush:photos to come when I figure how to do it.

NJoy

Here I grow again!
That's the long and short of it.
It's true that tying hair tightly overnight will kill your edges and nape, but it takes a while to actually happen. Just tying your hair down tightly until it dries up shouldn't hurt anything. Just move the location of the knot from time to time, and you should be fine. Here's sylver2's fotki album that shows pictures of how to do it and what the end results are. I think if you stretch with your hair loose (not braided or weaved up) and don't use heat, then the scarf method will be your best bet for going outside not looking a HAM :

http://public.fotki.com/sylver2/relaxer-stretching-/post_relaxer_journe/

ETA: found a video! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aj73YI8vBUA
The only thing is that I don't recommend really...pulling the scarf back like that. I really think that it'll eat up your edges. I think just tying it down nice and firm will be enough to press everything down.

As for the two french braids, I think you might have to put that look away the further you get into the stretch. I find that it's not hard to smooth down the growth around the edges and top, but once you part that hair....POOF. It'll all come out to play.
And I feel you on the combing thing...my mom taught me to comb my hair every single day (even though she like never combs hers, she just puts it in a bun or ponytail with her fingers). So the whole no combing the roots thing was hard for me too. Eventually, you just get used to it, and as you learn more about how to style your hair, you probably won't even feel the need to do it. :yep:

:lachen: :lachen: :lachen: @ weave on top of a rug!! Lord, I shed a tear. I promise, from the picture you showed, it really doesn't look like that!

Thank you, thank you so much for the hand holding. Headed over to check out the links you gave. :bighug:

baddison

natural for good
7 weeks into my 17week stretch.
*sigh*....April 17th seems like such a lllooonnnngggg way off:ohwell:

Miss Monae

Checking in @ 10 weeks....boy do I have some NG! I need to scope the forum for some tips on getting it soft and manageable!