“setting To Success” 2016

Smiley79

It depends on the product. What do you normally use for your twist outs? I know that if I use a creamy leave in under the DE gel then I can do a twist out without my hair being super crunchy and stiff. If I use a liquid leave in then I can set with it, but a creamy leave in is too heavy for the set because the sections are smaller. I'm not sure how the almond jai would work for a perm rod set but I'm willing to test it out Sunday when I redo my hair. I would never use SM curl enhancing smoothie for a perm rod set although I've seen some people on YouTube use it with great results. My curls would be weighed down but it works well for my twist outs. Maybe if I dilute it with my liquid leave in...I'll add that to my list of things to try. So this long post was to say it's trial and error. I've found some of my best combos through experimenting.

The only products i have on hand now for twists are the ORS curl pudding and eco styler gels. For my perm rods i used the ORS pudding and one night i used foam.
Tonight i tried doing flat twist with perm rods....i havent tried twists since last year, so Im super nervous about the outcome. We'll see how it goes.

L.Brown1114

Hey guys! So I haven't cut my hair yet. Letting it grow out a bit so I have at least an inch of NG. So in the mean time inbetween time I just got done with a flexi rod set. Problem is they keep slipping from the root. Any ideas why? I'm putting them at the root and taking my hair and rolling it on while twisting. I'm doing it this way because my hair is too many lengths due to breakage and it won't roll well when I start at the tips. So many pieces of hair slip out

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    158.1 KB · Views: 28

KinksAndInk

Professional Napper
I got new rollers and I want to roller set my hair tomorrow but I'll wait until Sunday so I can start May with a fresh set and fresh ends. Hopefully I won't get sick of straight hair and will be able to keep it straight for a while. I also plan on rereading this entire thread and binge watching roller setting videos tomorrow.

Janet'

@Napp @toaster :gorgeous: :gorgeous: :gorgeous:

@bluenvy @Smiley79 @halfindian @lulu97 :thankyou::thankyou:

This is how I'm wearing my hair right now since I cannot deal with it (I can't be on my feet for 6 weeks). My friend comes over and re-braids for me every week and a half. She's trying to figure out how she can wash my hair and deep condition it for me but I'm looking at her like :badidea:, I know that you have a license (cosmetology and such) but :catfight: I don't trust you with my hair :nono:...But, "I do love you and I appreciate everything that you have done for me..." I just can't!!!:nono::nono::nono:

OAN: I'm in my mid-30s and do you see ALL the grey????? This is why I color/dye ladies!!! I'm dying over here!!! :angry2::angry2:

Last edited:

toaster

Hey everyone! I set my hair again on Monday night. I did the Mohawk method but a few sections were only 98% dry after 90 minutes. I didn't want to get back under so I took my rollers down and slept in my usual Bantu knots.

I think I need to turn the heat up on my dryer, but I get so freaking hot!

My hair is super soft throughout the week using my entwine butter hydrator to moisturize at night

Otherwise, there's nothing new to report

MileHighDiva

A+ Hair Care Queen
Hello Ladies!
I finally did my hair today. I cleansed with Keracare 1st Lather and Hydrating Detangling poo. DC'd with CRN Algae DC. I used CRN Curl Love, Aloe Whipped Butter Gel, GSO, and MHC Buttery Soy to LCOB my hair.

Initially, I was going to do a set on 1.2" perm rods, but I can't get the rods taut at the root. They dangle. If anyone has any tips or tricks to install them tightly, please let me know. :help:

I shifted gears :driver: and set by doing a twist & curl following this video:

I'm not getting under the dryer tonight. It'll have to air dry under a bonnet. I'll post pix when I take it down.

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
Hey guys! So I haven't cut my hair yet. Letting it grow out a bit so I have at least an inch of NG. So in the mean time inbetween time I just got done with a flexi rod set. Problem is they keep slipping from the root. Any ideas why? I'm putting them at the root and taking my hair and rolling it on while twisting. I'm doing it this way because my hair is too many lengths due to breakage and it won't roll well when I start at the tips. So many pieces of hair slip out

I could never get it to work that way. I like to start at the ends and roll my way up. Then sometimes I have to play around with the direction I fold the flexi rod at the root. Sometimes bending backwards work best, sometimes forward. I try each direction and stick with the most secure one. HTH

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
@lulu97

Thanks for responding to me. It was crickets in here, so of course it turned out horribly lol. I'll try again next wash day and try it the other way plus add some end papers

Oh no! Hopefully next time it turns out better. I'm always in the Health & Fitness forum these days. I never have anything new to report except maybe once a week on the hair side, so I hardly come around these days. I try to catch up as much as possible when I do though. If you ever have flexi rod or magnetic or french roller questions, I'm just a tag away....I'll come back in running :cowgirl::bighug:

AgeinATL

Problem is they keep slipping from the root. Any ideas why? I'm putting them at the root and taking my hair and rolling it on while twisting. I'm doing it this way because my hair is too many lengths due to breakage and it won't roll well when I start at the tips. So many pieces of hair slip out

I had the same issue. I had better luck doing this method:

Around the 2:10

Sorry to keep posting these videos but I am a visual learner. Hope it helps!

toaster

Hi ladies!

I was supposed to be on (yet another) weekend trip but my flight was cancelled due to (non-existent) weather. I'm kind of bummed but trying to make the best of it!

I need to wash and set my hair later this afternoon. Planning on DCing for 40 minutes and then applying my Mizani Thermasmooth conditioner on top for 20 minutes for a protein kick. I'll even sit under the dryer for 1 hour and 45 minutes this time, or I may turn the heat up. Either or.

angelmilk

*sigh* Flat twistouts and braidouts kinda ruined my ends..I'm relaxed but I still have some texture. Even when I was natural having my hair stretched greatly helped me with length retention smh. :cry3:Just three weeks of that constant manipulation messed me up. I trimmed today and put in a protective style (crochet senegalese twists) that I'll leave in for a month. Not straying from my rollersets anymore:dazed:

toaster

@angelmilk Experimentation is key, but it's nice to know you have something that works for your hair. Enjoy your protective style!!

I had a really good hair day, but why did I start so late? I'll be under the dryer for another hour and a half at least. Parting my hair for the Mohawk method in the shower while I still have conditioner in my hair makes it so much easier.