SHOULDER LENGTH 2011 CHALLENGE!

g.lo

hi Guys,

i am not sure if i can claim Sl yet, this are few of my pictures, ;
i am natural. i was neck lenght in January.

DSC00181.jpg

DSC00250.jpg

thanks

newnyer

I'm sorry that your hair was accidently cut, but the good news is after your trim you are nice and healthy now! and with protective styling and tlc you won't need another trim for a while.

In other Nape News: I'm excited because I'm going to doctor tomorrow for name. My hair is overall healthy, and I realize that my nape is very fine (you can hardly see some of the shed hair from back there) but it's soooo sparse! I know that this is not normal. I think I may have some kind of deficiency going on. My nape and I have had a on again off again relationship for some time now and I just need to find out for sure what's going on with it.

I feel you on the nape!! Please tell me if they gave you any enlightening news that may help me out too! I've had more bad moments than good ones with that area. I know it has the possibility to be fuller and healthier back there- I've had it before...but whenever I start suffering from breakage back there (at the drop of a hat, mind you) it takes FOOORRR-EEEEE-VVVEEERR to grow back.

faithVA

hi Guys,

i am not sure if i can claim Sl yet, this are few of my pictures, ;
i am natural. i was neck lenght in January.

thanks

You can definiely claim SL. You are probably half way if no more on your way to APL. :congrats:

Rossy2010

I will be a June graduate. Infact i think i will be full I would have claimed it in May but I think its too late so i will wait until end of june when I will be relaxing and I will be using heat....

NikkiQ

I'm going to attempt to install some mini twists this week and leave them in until the end of the month, take them out for a possibly length check on June 30th and probably put another set in for most of July.

Missjae09

Hi ladies! I wanted to quickly stop by to see how everyone was doing! I've actually been having fun with my hair, and I've been getting good responses from those around me.

Co washing and bobby pins have become my new best friends.. don't think I can live without either! lol

I certainly feel like my hair is fuller, whether or not that is translating into retention remains to be seen, but in the mean time, I'm just going with the flow!

iamtan

LMAO i'm delusional can I safely claim shoulder length?....ugh it feels so short...lol

iamtan

faithVA Thank you :D I guess it safe to say i have shoulder length hair stretched. I want to thank all the ladies in this forum for posting and updating with techniques and hair regimens. Yay! Good luck to everyone :D

ZeeontheGrow

I WILL be SL by the end of the summer dammit!

Shoot, I better be!

I'm actually supposed to be a June graduate... But not so sure I'll make it. :-(

Im thinking about getting a sew in (although these past 90+ degree days has me wondering if I really wanna put myself thru that).. and probably keep it in for 6-8 weeks.
The only thing is my hair is loving the 1-2x a week cowashing... & i don't think I'll have that option with a sew in :-/

Ah... Decisions, decisions...

I really need to just put this hair of mine away... Cause im running outta patience watching it grow !!

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

itsjusthair88

Chronically at BSL -_-
Re: SHOULDER LENGTH 2011 CHALLENGE! PICTURE SPAMMMMMMM!!!!!

Hey ladies :wavey: just a random length check, it's been exactly 9 months and 2 days since my BC (to bald!) and 2 months and 14 days since my last length check (I have no idea why my length checks are at such random intervals, after I reach SL, I will change to quarterly...or every 3 months) and I washed my hair and I am DC'ing now, so I decided to check my length; nothing exciting to report here, but hopefully, the pics show something, so on to the pics (the ones on the left are from March, the right ones from today):

So, as you can see I have had a little growth, no more length checks until my 1-year which is coming up in exactly 3 months!!! YAY!!! Have a good one

faithVA

Re: SHOULDER LENGTH 2011 CHALLENGE! PICTURE SPAMMMMMMM!!!!!

^^^I definitely see movement...some definite growth. And if you were to straighten now you may very well be SL. But by September I think you will see the results you want. keep growing. great progress. :yep:

itsjusthair88

Chronically at BSL -_-
faithVA thank you, I am actually afraid to straighten b/c my ends feel a little rough...I'm scared...I see some growth too, but I'm afraid to claim SL...lol, I just am.

faithVA

@faithVA thank you, I am actually afraid to straighten b/c my ends feel a little rough...I'm scared...I see some growth too, but I'm afraid to claim SL...lol, I just am.

I feel you on the heat. No need to straighten if you dont want to. I was just letting you know. Just take your time claiming SL until you are ready but you can celebrate that you are SL in your own personal space. If you know what I mean.

PaigeJessica

This was me last week. I straightened just the hair at my nape as kind of an experiment but it was a fail so I didn't do my whole head. My hair was light and fluffy and the ends hadn't straightened, they were still coily. That makes this length check a fail also lol.

I think next time I'll blow dry with a comb attachment instead of banding. Won't be straightening again till July 1st.

Missjae09

Hey girls! well, I went to the derm for my nape as I said I would... and well.... it was an #EPICFAIL!!!! lol! my nape is now recovering and filling in very nicely! that, I'm happy about, however my nape is considerably shorter than the rest of my hair. I didn't want the doc to be thrown off by this so I went in armed with pics. I showed her pics of what my nape looked like when I initially noticed the missing hair. She viewed the pics and viewed my hair and listened to what I had to say; which was my hair had broken off very close to the scalp, there was no folicle attached to the hair that had fallen. She went on to say that looking at the pattern in which the hair had fallen and listening to what I'd told her she knew that the breakage was due to external sources and nothing internal.

Basically she told me that there can be certain spots that are more fragile than others and that you just have to be very careful when dealing with those areas.... well, DUH! I paid a $45 co-pay for her to tell me what I already knew! I know that my nape hair is kinky and much finer than the hair in other areas on my head. So basically over the years my breakage has been due to over relaxing or using too high of a heat setting when straightening.. well, I think as far as the heat goes I went to stylist who used a hot comb on my nape I knew this was a no-no and i figured it had caused issues with my hair but the fact that it had happened years ago as well when i was relaxed made me wonder if there could be more to it than that. I do know that I was addicted to relaxer and I was relaxing my hair every 4 to 5 weeks and getting "partials" which was way too much.. especially for my nape.

So needless to say I will be keeping my nape super moisturized and when I do straighted it I will use a super low heat setting for that area only (because I like relaxer straight hair when I straighten).

Ladies, I'm sorry this turned into a short essay, I hope this helps someone else out there or at least saves you money.. I have spent $80 in copays to find out what I already knew.

HHG!

faithVA

Ladies, I'm sorry this turned into a short essay, I hope this helps someone else out there or at least saves you money.. I have spent $80 in copays to find out what I already knew.

HHG!

At least you have confirmed it. Now that you have ruled out an internal issue you can create a better strategy for growing and maintaining that section.

My nape would fall out every year until I started going to the salon regularly. It was still crazy though and it was the first to break. Now that I'm natural it still requires special care. This just seems to be a common problem.

But I am glad that you got some clarification. :yep:

Missjae09

The crazy thing is that I even when my nape was falling out, I was going to the salon weekly. Until the end of 2008 I was a rain, hail, sleet or snow client... my stylist could always count on my dollas! an overall my hair was healthy which is what threw me off.

anywho, like you said, at least now I know.. and I can treat my hair accordingly.
At least you have confirmed it. Now that you have ruled out an internal issue you can create a better strategy for growing and maintaining that section.

My nape would fall out every year until I started going to the salon regularly. It was still crazy though and it was the first to break. Now that I'm natural it still requires special care. This just seems to be a common problem.

But I am glad that you got some clarification. :yep: