Straight Hair Natural's Support Thread

MizAvalon

I am too! It's been 2 1/2 years. I'm trying out a new place. It's an Aveda concept salon. I had a really nice visit with the hairstylist last week, so fingers crossed. :nervous2:

We just got a winter storm warning calling for 4-8 inches tomorrow! The salon just emailed me and said that we will just have to wait and see, so I may not be going after all. :cry:

I hope you love your hair, I know it will be gorgeous. :)

MsSanz92

We just got a winter storm warning calling for 4-8 inches tomorrow! The salon just emailed me and said that we will just have to wait and see, so I may not be going after all. :cry:

The same thing happened to me I was planning on getting my hair blown out two weeks ago but I had to push it back because the day I planned on getting my hair done (Jan 23) was the day of the massive snowstorm in the Northeast!

Dposh167

So I complained in this thread in Jan about my hair going poofy within 20 mins to important events. I really didn't want to go to the bss and pick up heavy press products since they are so heavy with mineral oil / petroletum. It weighs my fine hair down but now I'm like fluck it. I picked up old school ultra sheen.

I think its the only one without mineral oil/petroletum. But it does have lanolin and beeswax. I used a very little on each section and flat ironed with my HAI. Ooooohhh don't u know. I went out to Dave and busters. Then came out and it was raining. Fell asleep without a scarf on too. Could u believe how straight my hair stayed!!! Now it wasn't silk press straight after all of that...But it was a HECK OF a difference from what it normally look like. I hate to give up on silicones and oils but my poor hair just laughs at it. It's not heavy enough for my strands. Unfortunately I didn't have that BODY that I would have if I only used oils but if I can avoid looking like miss poofy sue I'll take the loss

Evolving78

So I complained in this thread in Jan about my hair going poofy within 20 mins to important events. I really didn't want to go to the bss and pick up heavy press products since they are so heavy with mineral oil / petroletum. It weighs my fine hair down but now I'm like fluck it. I picked up old school ultra sheen.

I think its the only one without mineral oil/petroletum. But it does have lanolin and beeswax. I used a very little on each section and flat ironed with my HAI. Ooooohhh don't u know. I went out to Dave and busters. Then came out and it was raining. Fell asleep without a scarf on too. Could u believe how straight my hair stayed!!! Now it wasn't silk press straight after all of that...But it was a HECK OF a difference from what it normally look like. I hate to give up on silicones and oils but my poor hair just laughs at it. It's not heavy enough for my strands. Unfortunately I didn't have that BODY that I would have if I only used oils but if I can avoid looking like miss poofy sue I'll take the loss
I'm straightening my hair now. I will see if I can pick that up tomorrow. I'm gonna straighten it, wrap it, then I will curl with that tomorrow. Do they carry that at Walgreens?

Dposh167

I'm straightening my hair now. I will see if I can pick that up tomorrow. I'm gonna straighten it, wrap it, then I will curl with that tomorrow. Do they carry that at Walgreens?
some walgreens may have the ultra sheen brand. but i don't think i've seen the yellow one there.

Britt

It was my intention to join this thread .... until I realized that I have major issues with keeping my hair straight since I've been natural. I've tried a few times at home and I experience serious reversion in a way I've never seen before on anyone. I've tried cranking up the iron to the highest degree, using different products, etc etc. I went to my stylist recently and explained this to her and I also sent her pics as evidence of the reversion and swelling right away. She was in awe. She recently gave me an Olaplex treatment and thinks that might help out some. I ordered some and I hope it helps with keeping my hair straight. I think it might be a porosity issue I have going on, idk. I've flat ironed my hair and literally watch it swell right in front of my eyes... and it's laden with cone products. My hair frizzes out very easily, both curly and straight.

Evolving78

It was my intention to join this thread .... until I realized that I have major issues with keeping my hair straight since I've been natural. I've tried a few times at home and I experience serious reversion in a way I've never seen before on anyone. I've tried cranking up the iron to the highest degree, using different products, etc etc. I went to my stylist recently and explained this to her and I also sent her pics as evidence of the reversion and swelling right away. She was in awe. She recently gave me an Olaplex treatment and thinks that might help out some. I ordered some and I hope it helps with keeping my hair straight. I think it might be a porosity issue I have going on, idk. I've flat ironed my hair and literally watch it swell right in front of my eyes... and it's laden with cone products. My hair frizzes out very easily, both curly and straight.
Yeah I'm going to get that Creme press. It's snowing out here.

Evolving78

I put some avocado and jojoba oil in my hair. Hopefully I can remember to get that Creme press and some pins to pin curl my hair after I curl it. I got my hair pretty straight and was able to trim my ends. My hair is very healthy, even with the color. I won't be straightening my hair all of the time. I will straighten to trim, so I straighten it again in April. I will lay off of the wash and go's and start doing two strand twists. I will use a straightening system next time around. My hair is extremely coily. My roots got straight with no problem, but my ends were still kinky during the blow drying process.

MizAvalon

Well, I went and got my hair flatironed yesterday for the first time in years. It's pretty but boring. Reminds me of why I went natural in the first place.

Now I have to actually do my own hair before I get it braided up again in 3 weeks. BOOOO!!!!

Evolving78

What flat iron are you all using?
Also heat protectant/ serum?
I used a mini flat iron and I used the croc nano. I used that argan oil and it's a 10 during the blow drying process. I will be using Fantasia ic serum today. My hair is definitely in the grow out phase. The back and sides are an inch or so long. So my front and crown is three inches long. I would have never dreamed of straightening hair this short as a natural. It makes me hopeful! But I gotta find a system that works for when my hair gets longer.

LdyKamz

Will be straightening my hair this weekend and I'm going to try something different. Normally I just blow it out then flat iron. I'm going to do a roller set this time and then blow out and then flat iron. I've tried the roller set before but not the blow out because I thought it would be too much heat. But my roller sets don't get smooth enough to skip blow drying before flat ironing so I want to try again with this extra step. I think I might get decent bounce with this method although it sounds like a lot of work. Fingers crossed.

Adiatasha

That's Dickey's salon right? Did he do your hair? It looks great.

No he didn't do my hair.. It costs double the price for that. But his staff is on point!

Things I learned:

I don't use enough product when I wash/condition.

I should use a cream based shampoo

De tangling with your fingers is possible in the shower when you have enough product.

They never combed my hair out. Not necessary.

The only styling tools used was a blowdryer with a comb attachment and a flat iron. No combs or brushes.

My hair is in good shape.

I needed a hair cut.

And I was a walk in