The high bun now a popular look

Dposh167

kandake said:
That's cute. How long is your hair?

I'm very uneven. The longest is approaching apl. The rest is all different lengths. Normally I would add hair to that bun but didn't have time

Country gal

I am jelly. So many of you have long hair. My hair is short length when stretched. I just started doing the bun because it feels nice and cool.

BadMamaJama

These have always been in. In my neck of the woods, you'd see more hood chicks or younger high school girls wearing em. I used to love them when I was younger using a phony pony or braids. It just seems now they're being worn by other races as well.

NappyNelle

Kinky Coily 4A, Fine Strands, WSL
This thread made me count...

I traveled from BK to Harlem, then back to BK. I saw 47 high buns on black, latina, asian, and white women. :lol: Most of the black women added hair to make their bun juicy; the others seemed to be wearing their own hair.

missbugg21

@Loving - No, I don't have bangs. :nono: The front of my hair is below chin-length, so I usually put a big curl in it and swoop it to the side to give the illusion. I'll take a pic after I style it again today. :yep:

Here's how I wore mine today... I pin-curled my "bang" because my swoop ended up being too long. I guess that's a good problem to have, right? :lol:

Attachments

• 391365_3671557742181_1783501622_n - Copy.jpg
    391365_3671557742181_1783501622_n - Copy.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 201

DominicanBrazilian82

BrownEyez22 said:
I love high buns and I have noticed people are wearing them more as well. I went to a house party and 2 of my other natural friends all had high buns.

I can't wait for my hair to get longer, so it can be big and juicy.

Big and juicy high buns are kayute! Yes Mama!

halocj

Although high buns have always been in style, they most definitely have become more popular recently. I travel a lot and see them way more now.

Last edited:

TheNDofUO

My prom! braided high bun

ManeStreet

nia-long-cover-240x340.jpeg

this style is so cute. i think its a bun with a head band to make that bump. i'm thinking about trying it but with the bun part a lil higher.

what do u think?

wow she is so gorgeous. she is glowing

lol, I'm glad that I've been stalking this thread....all the buns look lovely. I'm still working on mine, but I think this will be the perfct ps for my hair right now. Currently, I'm wigging it, but it is 105 out here and I'm in the desert....literally, so I"m kind of tired of having the extra hair hang past my shoulders. I'm terrified of exposing my hair to the elements out here so bunning it is!!!

Keep the pictures coming ladies!

Hairroots

Lately, I've been rocking my high bun from my braidout to give it the full effect. It's definitely a protective style I use to help me through my stretch.

belletropjolie

I love this thread! I love buns and in fact spent most of last year in buns as my ps.
wanted to share a pic of mine...not very high but you get the idea

Last edited:

FoxxyLocs

I love high buns. I think they look best on me (vs. other buns). Nine times out of ten if I'm wearing a bun it's high. I've been doing them since middle school. I'm always careful about not making them tight so I don't get breakage. Occasionally I change the position so I don't stress my hair but I really don't like other buns on me.

Sent from my HTC Evo

laurend

I love high buns. I think they look best on me (vs. other buns). Nine times out of ten if I'm wearing a bun it's high. I've been doing them since middle school. I'm always careful about not making them tight so I don't get breakage. Occasionally I change the position so I don't stress my hair but I really don't like other buns on me.

Sent from my HTC Evo

FoxxyLocs
I never wear low buns, they don't complement my face.

Southernbella.

I've definitely noticed the trend, at least for black women. I started rocking them a few weeks ago once I figured out I could get all my hair on top of my head without having to fool with bands or ponytail holders. I take a panyhose leg and wrap it around and around and then tuck it under.

Here's a bun I did right out of the shower (it's probably 80% dry here)

And here's a bun I did on blowdried hair

I absolutely love this style, especially now that we're in triple digit heat. I've always been a fan of wearing my hair out and down, but this is a protective style I can get with.:yep:

Bublin

For the last 4-5 months, high buns (braid-out) have been the ONLY way I wear my hair.

It is so much more flattering to my face that the low one which makes me look too young and bald from the front. My hair is also substantially shorter at the front so again, this is a great style for me.

I always change it up at the front though. I rarely have it slicked straight up (back). Sometimes a pompadour, sometimes a roll fringe (pin-up girl style)....etc.

-PYT

Southernbella. Love your bun. You are dispelling the myth in my head that my edges must be slicked for the gods in order to wear this style :lol: how did you tuck your ends?

Southernbella.

-PYT said:
Southernbella. Love your bun. You are dispelling the myth in my head that my edges must be slicked for the gods in order to wear this style :lol: how did you tuck your ends?

Thank you! Yeah I let me edges do they thing.:lol: I know some people find it unsightly but I like it.

I take the hair, separate it into two sections, then do one big loose twist. I tuck it over the front and bobby pin it underneath. Anything that comes loose gets tucked under or twisted under.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using LHCF

sweetypoo705

I have been bunning every day since March as my protective style while I am stretching for 25 weeks- it has been about 16 weeks so far and the less manipulation, the better it looks. My hair is close to APL, so I am able to have a knot:) and I use one of those Revlon synthetic hair scrunchies without any damage to my ends. Here are a couple of pictures. I love the big ones, but I am enjoying this style. I can remember when my mom would wear her wig let bun when she wasn't wearing her wig or natural Afro- loved the look:)! It reminds of the fun 50's60's look my sister wore. Good to see this classic style given a new breath of fresh air by those sporting this look.

Last edited: