The Holy Grail Thread

afrofaithful

I was thinking a thread like this would be a good idea! Just copy and paste and add your answers. I think this is a good idea for people looking for products, ideas, etc. You can add pictures too (we all love pics!). Anyways...

Relaxed/Natural/Transitioning: Natural

Hair ID: 3c/4a, coarse, porous, medium density, thick-fine strands (I have both, and everything in between)

Shampoo: Terressentials Mud Wash

Condtioner: Everyday Shea (for cowashing)

Leave-In: Shea Moisture curl milk, sometimes I just leave some conditioner in my hair after cowashing, so the everyday shea.

Deep Conditioner: Aubrey GPB/HSR

Sealant: Castor, Olive, Grapeseed, Apricot, Tea tree (for my scalp when in long term PS) oils, shea butter

Styles: My Ms. Celie 'do (two cornrows on the sides with pinned up ends, it looks like a halo kind of), buns, mini (for me) twists. I'm trying a PS stretch until the summer. I've got one more inch until APL :grin:!

Other/Special Tools: Henna once a month

Issues/Problems: None at the moment

I've just recently gotten my regimen down pat, and have been seeing major improvements! HHG ladies and thanks for all the help! :)

If you have suggestions for people that may have similar hair or issues let them know! Be nice though...:lol:

MsLauren

Good idea OP! I love reading threads like these! :yep:

Hair ID: Transitioning 4A/4B. My hair is a little past SL right now with about 4 inches of new growth at the roots and the rest relaxed ends. It's medium texture but has definitely became thinner in the last year because of the damage from the relaxers.

Shampoo: Redken Extreme and Wen Fig

Condtioner: All Redken conditioners especially Redken Extreme and Redken Real Control. Also Aussie 3 minute moist!

Leave-In: Redken Anti Snap and whatever else I can find! (I love me some Redken :lachen: :lachen:)

Deep Conditioner: Paul Mitchell Keratriplex Treatment (protein) and Aussie 3 Minute Moist (moisture)

Sealant: Grapeseed, Avocado, Vitamin E, Olive, and Castor.

Styles: Buns and Wigs....Simple as that!

Other/Special Tools: I loooooooove to steam my hair! I bought a steamer from LCL beauty and all my treatments have been working so much better. My hair used to be so dry but not anymore. It's soft and supple and the comb just slides right through!

Issues/Problems: Just trying to grow out these relaxed ends so I can be all natural!!!!!! :lol:

Poranges

Positive Vibrations
Relaxed/Natural/Transitioning: Texlaxed

Hair ID: 3c I think? Not sure and don't care.

Shampoo: Keracare Shampoos

Condtioner:
N/A (I really only DC)

Leave-In: KeraCare Natural Textures Leave In

Deep Conditioner: Dabur Deep Conditioners

Sealant: Grapeseed Oil

Styles: Blowouts & Braidouts.

Other/Special Tools: Clear Rinse 1x Monthly

Issues/Problems:
Dryness. My hair is moisturized, but dry? :s

afrofaithful

Good idea OP! I love reading threads like these! :yep:

Hair ID: Transitioning 4A/4B. My hair is a little past SL right now with about 4 inches of new growth at the roots and the rest relaxed ends. It's medium texture but has definitely became thinner in the last year because of the damage from the relaxers.

Shampoo: Redken Extreme and Wen Fig

Condtioner: All Redken conditioners especially Redken Extreme and Redken Real Control. Also Aussie 3 minute moist!

Leave-In: Redken Anti Snap and whatever else I can find! (I love me some Redken :lachen: :lachen:)

Deep Conditioner: Paul Mitchell Keratriplex Treatment (protein) and Aussie 3 Minute Moist (moisture)

Sealant: Grapeseed, Avocado, Vitamin E, Olive, and Castor.

Styles: Buns and Wigs....Simple as that!

Other/Special Tools: I loooooooove to steam my hair! I bought a steamer from LCL beauty and all my treatments have been working so much better. My hair used to be so dry but not anymore. It's soft and supple and the comb just slides right through!

Issues/Problems: Just trying to grow out these relaxed ends so I can be all natural!!!!!! :lol:

O! I've been wanting to try a steamer! Now I just put on the conditioner and stand in the shower awhile before I wash it out...lol. It's just so expensive! And I used to lurve that Aussie 3 minute miracle! It was heavenly probably the best "unnatural" DC ever!

whiteoleander91

stay at your best ♥

Hair ID: a little bit of everything lol seriously. Mostly...3c/4a? I have a patch of really loose hair at my crown and nape (3a/b mix?) and two really tight sections at the front (4a/b mix?). I have fine, medium, and coarse strands. Average thickness to maybe borderline thin. Silky (more like satiny) and cottony textures.

Shampoo: For clarifying, currently, I'm loving Garnier Fructis Pure Clean. For chelating I like ORS Creamy Aloe Shampoo. For just regular ol' cleaning I like Infusium 23 Moisture Replenisher Shampoo. I flip flop from cones to no cones and usually by now I would have gone back to being cone-free. But, idk, my hair reeeeally likes Infusium 23.

Condtioner: (cowashing) Infusium 23 Moisture Replenisher (smells soooooo friggin good and I add safflower oil to it), Organix Moroccan Argan Oil, V05 Passion Fruit Smoothie, Pomegranate and Grapeseed Extract, and the Kiwi Lime Squeeze one (love!).

Leave-In: Nowadays, Infusium 23 Moisture Replenisher (not the actual leave-in, just the regular conditioner...the leave-in smells different from the condish and shampoo for some reason...it stinks lol) or the Herbal Essences Touchably Smooth Split-End Protector (which is basically LTR leave-in but the order of ingredients is switched around). Sometimes, I don't leave anything on my hair and just put on an oil.

Deep Conditioner: For protein treatments/reconstructors I like Giovanni Nutrafix Reconstructor, Renpure Amazing Miracle Penetrating Reconstrutor. For moisture I like to use Infusium 23 with lots of safflower oil mixed with Organix Moroccan and maybe some of the Giovanni Nutrafix. Idk, when I add a reconstructor to my moisturizing conditioners, it comes out amazing.

Sealant: Safflower oil!!

Styles: Lately my go-to style has been a some up/some down wash and go. I used to just wear my hair down all the time in a wash and go, but now I pin the upper half up and let the rest hang down. Sometimes I'll do a bun/pony. Pretty rare for me.

Other/Special Tools: Urm...well, I really like to add safflower oil to my conditioners. Infusium 23 is super thick, so the oil helps with the consistency.

Issues/Problems: I'm finding that my hair doesn't like DCs that much...unless it's been a long time since I've done one or if I add a reconstructor to it. They just make my hair waaay too elastic and stretchy. Light protein on a weekly basis helps me a lot.

silenttullip

natural
hair Id - 4a / 3c cottony, fine hair, thick strands, wiry curls
shampoo - everyday Shea or Giovanni triple treat
deep conditioner - elucence moisture balance, bear fruit hair aloe coconut Shea something like that I love it
rinse out - vo5 pomegranate (great for light protein its my ao bga alternative)
vo5 free me freesia
cowash - vo5 kiwi lime
vo5 chamomile
leave in - watered down vo5 chamomile
moisturizer - he 14 in 1 or coconut oil
sealant - wheat germ oil, olive oil
tools - hana pro, claw clamps
issues - seborrheic dermatitis (controlled thanks to coconut oil but occasional flares)
styled - my honey child type 4, deva set it free
styles - braided root twists, plaits under wig, 2 strand
supplements - msm source naturals, country life maxi hair

longhairdreaming

Hair ID: 4b/c

Shampoo: Kinky Curly Come Clean, PM Shampoo Three

Condtioner: AO HSR & AO GPB

Leave-In: AVJ, Kimmaytube Leave-In

Deep Conditioner: Aubrey GPB/HSR

Sealant: Castor Oil, Coconut Oil

Styles: Cornrows under my wig, Yarn Braids, Twists

Other/Special Tools: Henna once/twice a month

Issues/Problems: None at the moment, finally got my splits under control

Supplements: MSM, Silica, B-Complete, Vit. C, Vit. E

MsLauren

O! I've been wanting to try a steamer! Now I just put on the conditioner and stand in the shower awhile before I wash it out...lol.

The steamer was worth it! My hair was SO dry and no matter how much I would moisturize, deep condtioning, and seal I would have these dry spots in my hair. After I bought my steamer and started using it the dryness went away! :yep:

kinkycurlygurl

Hair ID: 4a/b

Shampoo: Water

Condtioner: Water+ACV

Leave-In: Sebum, Wheat Germ Oil

Deep Conditioner: N/A

Sealant: N/A

Styles: Braids, Twists, Curls, Updos, Buns

Other/Special Tools: Wide Toothed Comb

Issues/Problems: Growing Out a color mistake

sweetypoo705

Relaxed/Natural/Transitioning: Relaxed

Shampoo: Organic's Olive Oil

Condtioner: Cantu Shea conditioning repair cream (for cowashing)

Leave-In: Herbal Essence Long term Relationship, BeeMine Moistue Balancing Cream

Deep Conditioner: Cantu Shea ( same as co- wash condish )

Sealant: EVOO,EVCO, OLIVE MIRACLE ( African Pride), rosemary essential oil

Styles: PS, flexi sets, soft pillow roller sets- use ORS Smooth&Hold Pudding

Other/Special Tools: MT (creme form), MSM & Biotin mixed in oils and black& green tea

It will be one year tomorrow that i started my HHJ and I have went from neck length to collarbone( past) in a year! I am grateful for the wealth of information gained:yep:

CurlsBazillion

Hair ID: 4a

Shampoo: Elucence moisture benefits, and Elucence clarifying

Conditioner: Elucence MB (cowash and DC with it)

Leave-In: Elucence MB mixed with Jane Carter Revitalizing leave in and argan oil

Deep Conditioner: (alternating not mixing) Biolage Ultra Hydrating Balm and My Honey CHild Olive You, Joico K-Pak occasionally if I see breakage.

Sealant: Castor, Grapeseed, wheat germ, and argan oils. Shea, Avocado, Monoi, hemp seed (stinky, barely use it), and Murumuru butters.

Styles: Cornrowns under wigs, for the summer I'll be in buns and WnG

Other/Special Tools: Scalp massage oil combo; Neem, Castor, Emu, Rosemary, and Manuka EO.

Issues/Problems: Thin/Bald crown (using the oil mixture for that and its helping alot) other than that I'm good right this second...always an up hill battle with keeping healthy ends.

Last edited:
Transitioning

Hair ID: a bit of 3c here, mostly 4a I believe

Shampoo: Giovanni 50-50

Condtioner: Suave Almond and Shea Butter

Leave-In: Herbal Essences' Long Term Relationship Leave-in Protector; Oyin Handmade Hair Dew (moisturizer)

Deep Conditioner: Silk Elements Mega Silk Moisturizing Treatment

Sealant: Coconut oil, EVOO, Oyin Handmade Sugar & Berries Pomade

Styles: Twists, Celie Braids, Buns

Other/Special Tools: Jamila Henna (once every other month); Satin Bonnet; Eco Styler Hair Gel (Argan oil); Wide-toothed comb; Butterfly clips; Rosemary and peppermint essential oils (to mix into my sealing oils)

Issues/Problems: Breaking/Shedding (Typical considering I'm transitioning)

Last edited:

iri9109

Hair ID: curly/wavy/coily, extremely fine but dense, silky/satiny &cottony mix

Shampoo: CON Argan oil poo, Aussie moist diluted w/ aloe vera juice
Conditioner: Tressemme Naturals, Aussie Moist
Leave-In: Aloe Vera Spritz mixed with Infusium 23, Shea Moisture Curl & Style Milk, Curls Creme Brulee, or when i did WnGs just leave in regular conditioner after washing

Deep Conditioner: Mixed Silk DC, ORS Replenishing Pak..i also like Aussie 3 Min Miracle (haven't really been DCing lately smh)

Sealant: dont seal often, but when i do it's usually coconut oil or crisco

Styles: Puffs/Pony's, Buns, Flat Twistout or Bantu Knot out on blown out hair

Other/Special Tools: n/a...wanna try henna soon though

Issues/Problems: breakage/splits/SSKs, shrinkage=tangles

beautyaddict1913

Hair ID: 4a, thick density, fine strands

Shampoo: Yes to Carrots for clarifying, SheaMoisture Moisture Retention, Curl Junkie Daily Fix for co-cleansing

Condtioner: Curl Junkie Argan & Olive, Darcy's pumpkinseed, BearFruitHair conditioners

Leave-In: Darcy's transitioning creme, Saravun castor cream, Qhemet ohhb, Qhemet BRBC

Deep Conditioner: Curl Junkie deep fix, Claudies protein treatment

Sealant: Jbco, Claudies garden oil, Kbb heavenly jojoba

Styles: twistouts, buns, ponytails, hair zings

Other/Special Tools: Henna, steamer, shower filter

Issues/Problems: Breakage in my crown from stress, ssk's

BeautifulRoots

Hair ID: 4a/4b

Shampoo: ORS Aloe Shampoo

Condtioner: Silicon Mix

Leave-In: Kinky Curly Knot Today

Deep Conditioner: Silicon Mix

Sealant: Castor oil, Naptural85 shea butter mix

Styles: Braidouts

Other/Special Tools: Vatika oil pre poo, Denman brush, la looks sport gel

Last edited:

Americka

Hair ID: 4a/b

Shampoo: ORS Creamy Aloe or VO5 Clarifying Kiwi

Conditioner: (anything I have on hand)

Leave-In: NTM Silk Touch

Deep Conditioner: Aussi 3 Minute Miracle or Alter Ego Hot Oil Treatment

Sealant: Sunflower or Safflower oil

Styles: Ponytails or braidouts

Other/Special Tools: Palmer’s protein treatment with egg 2x monthly, Carefree Curl Gold (for ponytails)

Issues/Problems: Dryness below the crown

Supplements: Biotin, HNS, Pantothenic Acid, B12

FoxxyLocs

Hair ID: 3c/4a - I think

Shampoo: Chagrin Valley shampoo bars

Conditioner: Suave Naturals Coconut

Leave-In: Water + AO HSR

Deep Conditioner: AO WC

Sealant: Crisco

Styles: Buns, twists, flexi-rod sets

Other/Special Tools: Steam once a month

Issues/Problems:
none really

Victorian

old head
My "holy grails"--I added some categories

Relaxed/Natural/Transitioning: Natural, heat straightened

Hair ID: 4a, fine strands, medium/thin density

Shampoo: Skala Ceramide G3 Shampoo, Organix Coconut Milk shampoo

Conditioner: Skala Ceramide G3 conditioner or mask, Organix Coconut Milk conditioner

Leave-In: Skala Ceramide G3 leave in (noticing a theme ? :lol:)

Deep Conditioner: Aubrey GPB (bi-weekly)

Sealant: Jojoba oil (also for hot oil treatments)

Nighttime Treatments: Frederic Fekkai Protein RX PM Repair Treatment (bi-weekly), L'Oreal Everstrong Overnight Repair Treatment (nightly)

Serums: Organix Coconut Milk Anti-Breakage Serum, Giovanni Frizz Be Gone

Styles: Bun (or ponytail) in various locations (up high, mid-height, low, low to the side), with the front parted or not parted. If not parted, I like to make a little "bump" with the bangs/fringe in front. Ponytail made w/banana clip, regular hair tie, or barrette. Down with a side part, usually with a headband.

Other/Special Tools: Sedu flat irons, Carel soft bonnet dryer for DC or pre-poos when I feel like it, Denman small paddle brush (perfect brush).

Issues/Problems: My hair is very fine and prone to overconditioning, static, and having the style completely obliterated by wind--but I deal :lol:

Barbara

Princess
Verifen Complex products don't need to be doctored up. You just use them as they are, and there's no need to add oils, butters, or do a prepoo, hot oil treatment, conditioner wash, etc.

Ogoma

Hair ID: low porosity, medium density, coarse/medium-coarse/medium-fine texture, 4a/4b/3c

Shampoo
: Clarify - Terressentials Mud Wash; Cleanse - currently loving the performance, price, and availability of the L'Oreal EverCréme Cleansing Conditioner.

Conditioner: This is the category I exercise my inner PJ. I love a lot in this category, but my recent faves are: Oyin Honey Hemp, DevaCurl One Condition, KBN Creamy Shealoe, Camille Rose Jansyn's Moisture Max, TJ Nourish Spa/Tea Tree Tingle/Refresh, Live Clean Argan Mask, TRESemmé Naturals Aloe & Avocado/Coconut & Jojoba, Desert Essence Coconut/Ginger & Green Apple Conditioners, Curl Junkie Beauticurls Strengthening, Carol's Daughter Chocolat Conditioner, L'Oreal EverCremé Nourishing Conditioner, L'Oreal EverSleek Reparative and Intense Smoothing Conditioners, ..... you get the picture :lachen:

Leave-In: Curl Junkie Beauticurls Argan & Olive Oil Conditioner - it plays well with everything and has never done me wrong. I :love::love::love: it.

Deep Conditioner: For a combination of performance, versatility, and how quickly I get it: Curl Junkie Curl Rehab and L'Oreal EverCremé Deep Nourishing Mask (for moisture) and Curl Junkie Repair Me (for protein)

Sealant: Meadowfoam Seed oil or my combination of Meadowfoam Seed/Grapeseed/Walnut oil.

Stylers: Uncle Funky's Daughter Curly Magic

Styles: Wash and go, puff/ponytail, and tried some pinned up looks.

Other/Special Tools: Steamer, fingers, Magic Star Jumbo Rake, coconut oil pre-poos

Issues/Problems: None at the moment :crossfingers:

Last edited:

Ann0804

Shampoo: As I Am Cleansing Pudding

Conditioner: AO HSR

Leave-In: CJ Smoothing Lotion Mixed with Matrix serum and Chi Infusium (detangles like a dream)

Deep Conditioner: AO HSR, CJ Deep Fix, Jessicurl DC tx

Sealant: Oil mixture of ( hemp, castor, grapeseed, avocado, almond, apricot, argan, shea, macadamia oils) in an applicator bottle.

Styling product:Oyin Burnt Sugar Pomade.

Styles: Twists, wigs

Other/Special Tools: Multivitamin- daily; MSM- 3 times per week.

Issues/Problems: Frizz, prone to dryness

Last edited:

alove15

Hair ID: mostly 4a, some 3c

Shampoo: N/A currently KC come clean

Cowash: Giovanni 50/50, smooth as silk, tresemme natural nourish moisture

Leave-In: Oyin Hair Dew, Knot Today

Deep Conditioner: Aubrey Organics HSR or GPB

Sealant:
Oyin Burnt Sugar Pomade, Coconut oil

Styles: Twist and curl, braidouts, buns, twistouts

Other/Special Tools: Magic star rake comb, modified Denman, finger detangling, cowashing, tweezerman spirit 2000 shears

Issues/Problems: Been doing good lately. Ssk's and some matting are annoying but come with the territory. I trim of ssk's as I see them and detangle matted areas immediately before they get worse.

ETA: Tresemme naturals

Last edited:

melissa-bee

Hair ID: 4b/a

Shampoo: Lush Jumping Juniper Shampoo bar

Conditioner: Herbal Essences hello hydration

Leave-In: Shea butter

Deep Conditioner: AO HSR and GPB

Sealant: shea butter, hemp seed oil

Styles: A bun

Other/Special Tools: fingers

Issues/Problems: Itchy scalp

PinkSunshine77

New York's Finest

Hair ID: 4B

Shampoo: Any HE shampoo. My preference atm is Color Me Happy, Body Envy or Hello Hydration

Conditioner: any HE conditioner

Leave-In: Neutrogena Triple Moisture
Deep Conditioner: Fantasia IC Reconstructive Treatment

Sealant: JBCO, EVOO, EVCO, Grapeseed Oil, Hemp Oil

Styles: Loose Buns as a Protective Style, Straightened every 3 or 4 mths

Other/Special Tools: Herbal Hair dye every 4-6 mths

Issues/Problems: None anymore. I just trimmed :D

Last edited:

PJaye

Hair ID: Fine, Porous, Low Density, Protein Sensitive

Shampoo: Elucence Moisture Acidifying Shampoo (chelating) and Elucence Moisture Benefits Shampoo (moisturizing & detangling)

Co-washing Conditioner: Elasta QP Intense Fortifying Conditioner and Yes to Carrots Pampering Conditioner

Leave-In: DB Daily Leave-in Conditioner and DB Peach Kernel Hydrating Milk

Refresher: DB Transitioning Hair Creme

Deep Conditioner: Shescentit Avocado Conditioner, Shescentit Banana Brulee Moisturizing Conditioner, ORS Olive Oil Replenishing Conditioner, and Hairveda SitriNillah Deep Hair Masque (until my current stores are depleted)

Protein Treatment: Aphogee Keratin 2-Minute Reconstructor and Colorful Neutral Protein Filler

Sealant: Oil Mixture (Castor, JBCO, Almond, Hemp Seed, Macadamia, Argan, Pumpkin)

Styles: Air-dried ponytail (which is then flipped up and tucked away in an octopus clip)

Other/Special Tools: Adore Semi-Permanent Hair Color, Sabino Moisture Block (original version), Magic Star Jumbo Rake, Sesame Oil and Rosemary, Thyme, Clary Sage and Bergamot essential oils

Supplements: None

Moisturizer: Qhemet’s BRBC mixed with OHHB (as needed and until my current stores are depleted)

Issues/Problems: Thankfully, none at the moment

fasika

Relaxed/Natural/Transitioning: Transitioning (I think) - hair is barely relaxed; I think its called texlaxed around here?

Hair ID: I don't know. I have parts that are definitely 3C (back 1/3 of hair, i.e. nape), then others that are probably 4B (the first 0.5 inch of hair around my hairline on my forehead). Everything else is weird - it's just wavy, no curls at all, but definitely kinky. Very confusing. Other than that, I have thick hair, and the strands are thick too (which makes them coarse).

Shampoo: I've used HE and Pantene over the years. I'm currently in love with John Frieda's shampoos (I'm using the "blonde'' one even though I'm dyed red. Long story :lol:)

Conditioner: currently using Suave Naturals coconut something. The only cheap conditioner that works. I love HE Hello Hydration as well.

Leave-In: Argan oil - recently bought BioInfusion's Olive oil Moisturizing Lotion, and I'll probably switch to that. I love the results so far.

Deep Conditioner: Hollywood Beauty's Olive Cholesterol, the only cholesterol that works for me - it's a staple. I've used the Aussie 3 minute miracle one as well and I like it, but I prefer the Olive Cholesterol.

Sealant: Argan oil - I love it.

Styles: buns and more buns. Too lazy for anything else. I straighten 3-4 times a year. I occasionally do braidouts.

Other/Special Tools: n/a

Issues/Problems: breakage on my hairline along the forehead - the hair texture there is dramatically different than the rest of my hair (hairdressers have made comments about it), so no matter what I do, it always snaps. The wildly different textures in general makes it hard to find a product that does everything I need it to do for every texture. I shed like crazy as well, but I know that's due to a chronic health condition.

Last edited:

MrsJaiDiva

Embracing the Light
Relaxed/Natural/Transitioning: Texturized

Hair ID: 3a/3b/3c, coarse, medium density, clumping curls and frizzy curls, fluffy and thick.

Shampoo: Cleansing conditioners Only! Ren, Wen, and Deva-Curl No Poo :cloud9:

Conditioner: Tresseme Naturals Moisturizing condish, AO WC

Leave-In: Oidad Moisture Lock, AO WC, Tresseme Naturals

Deep Conditioner: Mega Tek :heart2:

Sealant: Red Palm Oil :infatuated:, Coconut & Castor Oil mix

Styles: Wash & Go's, Twist outs, and Curlformer sets

Other/Special Tools: A/G re:Coil Curl Activator, Donna Marie's Super Buttercream, Hydroquench Greaseless Moisture, Homemade curly pudding, Satin caps, Bohn Combs, Neem Oil :heart2:, Magic Star Jumbo Rake, Satin pillow rollers.

Issues/Problems: Itchy scalp, which has decreased dramatically thanks to Neem. Crazy frizz which I fixed by texturizing.

Last edited: