~*~*The Newly Natural Thread*~*~

Dominicanatural

Hey all i have a question! I just BC'd a couple weeks ago (although i keep finding relaxed ends UGH) and i have been daily cowashing and rocking a WNG puff. my hair hasnt really been tangled, im able to get my hand through. Very little snags with the shower comb. My hair wasnt breaking very litte shed hair. But i have SOOOOO SOOOOOO SOOOOO many SSK's there like everywhere. I know they are probably from the WNG's but realistically that is the only style that i can do right now. i tried the bantu knot out and i looked like Bozo the clown. And im not sure how you ladies are stretching out your hair without the blow dryer. I used the blow dryer for the first time yesterday. half way through i was having a panic attack. I would really perfer not to do that any more, especially since parts of my hair REQUIRE gel that i would need to wash out at least every two days.
any suggestions?

Hi Indarican! Have you experimented with twists? Of course this depends on the length, but I definitely look crazy with bantu knot outs, but love twist outs. Also, I've found that a bit of castor oil thinned out with extra virgin olive oil is perfect for applying at my end after my leave in to prevent SSK's. The oil provides lubrication so my strands just glide along side one another vs getting tangled. Hope this helps!

SmilingElephant

I haven't posted in here in forever!

You guys...my hair has grown so much and so fast I feel like a veteran already!:lol: I can now smoothe my hair back into a ponytail without a headband to hold down the canopy!

I seriously LOVE being natural!

queenbree

Last night was the first time I styled my hair since going natural, and it didn't go so well. I washed my hair with Donna Marie Superlatherlicious shampoo, DC'd w/ AOHSR, used KCKT as a leave in, and applied KCCC. I didn't get white balls on my hair or anything, but my hair ended up being dry as a bone today. I even misted my hair and added oil to it this morning & it still ended up dry. I must admit I'm feeling a bit discouraged right now....

Foxglove

A drop of golden sun
Last night was the first time I styled my hair since going natural, and it didn't go so well. I washed my hair with Donna Marie Superlatherlicious shampoo, DC'd w/ AOHSR, used KCKT as a leave in, and applied KCCC. I didn't get white balls on my hair or anything, but my hair ended up being dry as a bone today. I even misted my hair and added oil to it this morning & it still ended up dry. I must admit I'm feeling a bit discouraged right now....

You may need to add another step of sealing with an oil/butter after using your leave in. This will help seal in your moisture
Also, the amount of KCCC you used may have something to do with how dry your hair feels today
In addition, make sure you're sleeping with a sleep bonnet/scarf

indarican

Almost a full year relaxer free!!! My style for the next couple of months.. The puff!!!

KurlyNinja

Can I get a drumroll please?

I would like to announce after 20 months of no relaxer I can finally not only put my hair in a ponytail, but I can also bun my natural unstretched hair! :weird::weird::weird:

I feel like I've been waiting for this day forever! Even though my hair still feels short to me, it makes me happy to know I'm making goals. :grin:

CaliiSwagg

I am officially one week natural lol:yay:

I am definitely style challenged:look:.

My hair is a lot more curlier than I expected, and also looser in some areas than I expected.

I did buy like 3 beanie hats yesterday from H&M.:yep:
I will definitely be rocking them during this winter weather.

destine2grow

I am 13 months post relaxer and 4 months natural. I feel like my hair has grown very little but I do have some breakage. I think it is due to dryness. I got lazy and was not moisturizing my hair like I should.

I also can't find a shampoo that is not stripping and doesn't make my hair hard. I guess i should go back to cowashing like everyday. I only did that the first month. I love how my twist out turned out.

I have like 2 in of hair on the side and 2.5 on top and about1.5-2 in in the back. However one hair in the back is shorter. I am babying that area and trying to keep my hands out of that area.

I really want to do something to my hair so that I am not constantly playing with it. This is the biggest problem for me. How are you ladies wearing your hair? I can't wait til I can put my hair in a ponytail!!!

-PYT

destine2grow How about Shea Moisture's Moisture Retention Shampoo? It leaves my hair feeling so good I don't feel the urge to even condition afterward...even though I do out of habit anyway :) Elasta QP Creme Conditioning Shampoo is sulfate free as well and feels great.

destine2grow

PYT I haven't tried either one but I will. I have also heard good things about creme of nature argan oil shampoo. Have your tried it? Its also sulfate free.

-PYT

Sure haven't. I'm trying to stick to what I know after skipping around for two years trying out different products to find out what I liked :)

gvin89

Wow! It's been 6 months since I BC'd. I love being natural and am so thankful for all the tips given through this forum!!!

VictoriousBrownFlower

I cant believe how fast my hair is growing. Ive been fully natural for 7 months and its growing like a weed.

When I first bc'd it looked like this

Now

The puff is now my go to style

indarican

just picked up my Half wig... gotta get this moisture on point without doing all these cowashes, i love to cowash but the SSK are ridiculous im kinda scared im going to get to APL then have to chop it all off... so not what i want. So im going to try my hand at this baggying thing and see if this works for a bit. plus im getting really frustrated with my puff so the half wig will help me stay the heck out my head.

ZkittyKurls

I'm going to b getting temporary locs in feb for 2.5 months. My goal is to b full apl by may! Fingers crossed! Happy new year!

Sent from my SPH-D700 using SPH-D700

lucy

Hi ladies, I just found this thread. I am finally natural. Well...almost. I have a little texturized hair around the perimeter. I had planned to transition and trim, but apparently I was off the mark. Long story short, I BC'd yesterday, at 3mos post. I have some really short sections and I don't want to cut down to a Caesar, so I'm getting some synthetic box braids to grow out a little bit. My texture seems to be about a 4z and I have alot of shrinkage. I don't know which products will give me a little moisture, and I have soo much to learn. I am going to read this whole thread seeking advice. please feel free to share any advice u may have for me. :)

Hi again ladies... I posted here a few months back when I first bc, and I am finally rocking my twa. Today is my first day wearing it to work, and just wanted to share with you ladies. I am soo happy so far on this journey.

Attachments

• IMG_6386.jpg
    IMG_6386.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 58

Cherokee-n-Black

oooh oooh, me! I'm 21 months post and 1 week natchall! Lovin' it. Got a lot of issues with moisture retention, though. Using the Curly Girl method for fractal curls. According to "the experts" (people at Devachan and MahoganyCurls LOL) you have to keep doing it for a while for your hair to reach the "Optimal moisture level" I hope that's not like the golden fleece or the lost ark...

missjones

I flat ironed my hair for the first time since I BCed :grin:. Pics in fotki, see Curly Girl.

I'm about to trim my ends, they need it :perplexed