~*~*The Newly Natural Thread*~*~

SimJam

Platinum ... I dont do my own hair ... shoot I wish I could though.
the most I can do properly is some 2 strand twists.

Platinum

I decided not to try banana clips to make a 'fro-hawk. My hair is so thick and the banana clips look like they are suitable for hair that's not as thick as mine. I may try to purchase a few side coms to see if that will help. I found 3 bottles of Surge 14 at a BSS in SC the other day. They were the last on the shelf (only $5 a bottle). It worked great while I was transitioning so hopefully it will give the same results (or even better) now that I'm natural.

cch24

I'm about to jump in the shower and cowash. My hair seems to be growing at a steady pace. I'm going to wait a couple more months before I bold the apl in my siggy though. In my mind that will shorten the time it takes to get to bsl.

Anew

I bought the curly pudding, now what lol

Well since I have my mini's in I'll just have to wait or just experiment on the hair that's not braided up

Anyone use this stuff before? I saw the tutorial on MJ's site but my hair needs more than that in some areas. Guess I'll youtube it tonight

FlawedBeauty

I picked up my JBCO from the post office yesterday and I really like it. I alternate between using KCKT and condish for a leave in after cowashing. I took some of the JBCO and mixed it with my condish in a bowl and applied as normal after my cowash. My hair feels very soft, almost like silky. I think this combo is a definite keeper. I bought the Sunny Isle Extra dark...

cch24

I love black castor oil! I use it mixed 50/50 with olive oil to seal in my moisture at night before I baggy.

LoveCraze

Naturalista
I have a bottle of Wheat Germ Oil at home. Does anyone had any idea of what I can use it for?

You can add it to your hair as a prepoo and DC with it. I used to take it orally in a egg mixture a little while back. But I don't do that anymore. It does have an aquired taste.:lachen: But I do hear it is really good on the hair so try it out and let us know how it turns out.

Platinum

You can add it to your hair as a prepoo and DC with it. I used to take it orally in a egg mixture a little while back. But I don't do that anymore. It does have an aquired taste.:lachen: But I do hear it is really good on the hair so try it out and let us know how it turns out.

Thanks Steph! I was using it in that egg cocktail a while back as well. :yep: The taste really didn't bother me, I just wasn't consistent with it.:look: I might try to do a homemade DC with it this weekend (I'm thinking about doing a henna treatment as well).

cch24

Washing my hair tomorrow!! I get so excited because it's different than my daily cowash, but halfway through the process I'm always lamenting the time it takes to deep condition.

Grand Prix

I had the most interesting trip ever.

First, I'm sooo glad I BC'd! I feel all special and different :look:, and I now laugh at all the doubts I had about my natural hair.

As I said, I went to Istanbul and the warm weather allowed me to cowash every morning and just wash and go. I was with 3 friends, they all said it was cute (I need reassurance :lol:).
But then we got out on the streets and I am telling you, people were acting like I was some kind of movie star! Tapping their friends on their shoulders and pointing at me, trying to take my picture, kissing my hand if I came near enough and saying that girl must be from paradise.
My friends (2 white, 1 Indian) are really attractive, but they were pushed aside to get a better look at me. :look:
Whether they spoke English or not, they just had to string "hair" and "beautiful" together to get their awe off their chests.

Ladies, if you're suffering from cutter's remorse after your BC or need to hear some marriage proposals, Turkey's the place to be! My ego is going to be big and shiny for weeks.

Now that I'm back home I think I'll prefer my hair to be less big for now so I'll be putting aside the S Curl. Today I cowashed with Yes to Cucumbers, smoothed my hair down with it and then rinsed with cold water, trying to leave about half of what I applied in my hair.
The result was soft shiny hair with a lot less bulk, but more shrinkage.

I don't feel like uploading so I'll attach the pics if you don't mind.. In the first photo you can see the front of my hair really likes this method, it got all curly and clumpy. The crown just laughs at me and frizzes and the back is so shrunken! The third pic of my nape is 19,5 months of hair darn it!

Attachments

• IMG_6415.jpg
    IMG_6415.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_6413.jpg
    IMG_6413.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_6423.jpg
    IMG_6423.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 76
Last edited:

Aggie

I don't feel like uploading so I'll attach the pics if you don't mind.. In the first photo you can see the front of my hair really likes this method, it got all curly and clumpy. The crown just laughs at me and frizzes and the back is so shrunken! The third pic of my nape is 19,5 months of hair darn it!

Very pretty curls Grand Prix. I love your hair.

NicBenny

Hi ladies,

I'm at the very beginning of my transitioning phase (last relaxer 3/2010). I've been relaxed for the last 9 years and I've experienced a lot of shedding and thinning from the relaxer AND I simply miss my natural tresses.

Since I'm new to the transition ... is a BC really necessary for transitioning? I met a woman who has natural hair and she transitioned w/o a BC and she's been natural for about 3 years. Her hair looks great and she said she doesn't think a BC is necessary for a transition. Do you agree?

Zaz

I guess it's time I made my way to this thread :hiya:

I think I cut it a lil too early to wear it down :sad:
I tried a wet twistout and it looked the same as my regular hair.
I tried Miss Jessie's curly pudding, Ecostyler, and KCCC and the all pretty much looked the same but the KCCC felt best (wasn't as crunchy) and none of them elongated curls, if anything it shrinks them.
I tried a dry twistout and it turned into a big fro which was cute enough to wear out.

Everything else ended up in a puff :ohwell:

vainღ♥♡jane

ღ♥♡honey chile♡♥ღ
avaya, i work out everyday. i shampoo and dc my hair on sundays, and cowash on thursdays. i can't seem to go a whole week without some water cleansing my scalp, because it will start to itch. ♥

Grand Prix

I tried Miss Jessie's curly pudding, Ecostyler, and KCCC and the all pretty much looked the same but the KCCC felt best (wasn't as crunchy) and none of them elongated curls, if anything it shrinks them.
I tried a dry twistout and it turned into a big fro which was cute enough to wear out.

Have you tried to use less heavy products?
For me, gels and puddings do make my hair very coily, but it shrinks more..
S curl made my hair bigger and appear longer.
I think conditioner might just be in between these two.

If I remember your BC thread, you have a rather tight, but pretty defined curl. Maybe you don't need those heavy gels, just moisture.

Platinum

Hi ladies,

I'm at the very beginning of my transitioning phase (last relaxer 3/2010). I've been relaxed for the last 9 years and I've experienced a lot of shedding and thinning from the relaxer AND I simply miss my natural tresses.

Since I'm new to the transition ... is a BC really necessary for transitioning? I met a woman who has natural hair and she transitioned w/o a BC and she's been natural for about 3 years. Her hair looks great and she said she doesn't think a BC is necessary for a transition. Do you agree?

Hi NicBenny. A BC isn't really necessary. There are several members of the site that transitioned without a BC. One that comes to mind is Ediese. She transitioned with sew-in weaves.

Don't feel bad Zaz. I usually just wear a puff as well. My braidouts usually end up looking like a regular fro.

Platinum

I'm thinking about doing a henna treatment this weekend. I haven't had one since February. I'm not really concerned with color, I like the strengthening and conditioning effects of it.

Zaz

Have you tried to use less heavy products?
For me, gels and puddings do make my hair very coily, but it shrinks more..
S curl made my hair bigger and appear longer.
I think conditioner might just be in between these two.

If I remember your BC thread, you have a rather tight, but pretty defined curl. Maybe you don't need those heavy gels, just moisture.

Maybe you're right, I'm doing this stuff to my hair because I read on here it's what you're supposed to do, lol. All the manipulation and gels just make my hair look the same as it did when I got out of the shower more or less. I'll try adding just a bit of conditioner/moisturiser to it and see what happens.

LoveCraze

Naturalista
Hi ladies,

Hi and congrats on your decision to go natural. As Platinum stated, you do not have to have a BC to go natural. Transitioning is exactly that. You are not only transitioning your hair from one state to the next, but you are also transitioning your mind to a new form of beauty that is not necessarily accepted by the masses. Take your time to get to know your hair as you transition and try to have fun with it. Also check out the transitioners thread http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=419744 and transitioning without bcing http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=410134.
HHG!!

Grand Prix

I'm calling in sick Monday. I have to. They'll understand. :hair:

This bunning thing, is not working.

So I cowashed and wet bunned yesterday. It felt a little weird (short/small) but then I grabbed a mirror and :whyme:

But well, you never know. So I go to sleep and airdry overnight and..

And it wouldn't fit into a bun. :violin:

I see these pictures and laugh now, but I know I won't find this funny on Monday morning and I have to get to work.
I'm the receptionist at a bank, but people generally know that I'm a student so I don't have to look super polished. Do you think it would be okay to wear a wash and go?
Any suggestions what else I could try? I still have tomorrow!

cch24

Oh no!! Did you try bunning on hair that was about 80% wet? I make a ponytail, and then twist that hair and pin. Once it dries it expands a little, so it always looks bigger than it does initially.

What was your method?! I'd love to help.

cch24

Or maybe if you airdry overnight you can dampen the hair in the ponytail just enough to get it to pin down.