~*~*The Newly Natural Thread*~*~

cch24

DON'T CUT THE STRAIGHT PIECES!!!

I made that mistake and now the front of my hair is soooo short! How was I supposed to know that when my hair is wet with conditioner in it (which is how I BC'd to see the demarcation line) the hair is straight?!

I still have a few pieces here and there that are obviously relaxed (much thinner, although the same texture) and I will cut them in August or so, after I'm absolutely positive that they are indeed relaxed.

nestlequik

I posted some pictures of my hair yesterday. They're in my profile. It's been almost a month since my BC and I'm still getting compliments. :)

I also posted a pic of some of the products I've been using. I got 2 sample packs a few weeks ago, one from Oyin and the other from Qhemet. I'm really loving the Qhemet Detangling Ghee, so much so I bought a regular sized container. The smell of cocoa in the morning makes me smile, and it really softens my hair (the smell doesn't linger). From Oyin I really like their Shine and Define and Whipped Pudding. I was sort of put off by the smell (it's not bad at all, I just like neutral smells and it reminds me of chocolate and fruit) but it works well in conjunction with the Whipped pudding.

I still like the Burdock root from Qhemet and I like to mix that with my Giovanni Leave In Direct. They're both great- Oyin and Qhemet, and I forgot, the Honey Hemp Conditioner from Oyin is fantastic! No cones so I don't have that feeling like my hair is coated, and it really detangles. Oh, that stuff is FABULOUS. So, I'm torn. I like both lines for different reasons.

Love the Qhemet Burdock root for moisture, softness, and smell but it doesn't define. (But works well with Giovanni leave in direct- it provides the softness while Giovanni provides the definition) And they don't have much of a smell.
Love the Oyin Shine and Define for moisture, definition, and softness but not a fan of the smell.
Like the Oyin Whipped Pudding for softness and it works well with the shine and define, but not sure if I need it.
Love both of their conditioners...don't ask me to choose b/t them.

1Aleeesha

I've learned more about my hair since my Big Chop on May 1, 2010 than I have learned in I want to say all of my life Lol. I think some pieces of my sides are 4A/B, they don't curl without adding product to it. The rest are curls that are a little smaller than a big pencil lol. I'm so excited to be on this journey :grin:

Trini_Chutney

Peeing in my shower
DON'T CUT THE STRAIGHT PIECES!!!

I made that mistake and now the front of my hair is soooo short! How was I supposed to know that when my hair is wet with conditioner in it (which is how I BC'd to see the demarcation line) the hair is straight?!

I still have a few pieces here and there that are obviously relaxed (much thinner, although the same texture) and I will cut them in August or so, after I'm absolutely positive that they are indeed relaxed.

Same thing happened to me. I cut way too much in the front because I thought it was relaxed hair. Turns out my hair is just kinky straight in that spot:wallbash:

cch24

How is everyone's hair doing??

I'm trying a new method of DCing tonight. I did my usual protein prepoo and then I cowashed. I tried DCing with Lustrasilk cholesterol but it did nothing for my hair. I had a little bit of my favorite Shea Moisture DC left, so I put it on my hair and bunned as usual. After I got home I took my bun down and put my hair in the 4 twists that I wear at night, spritzed with water to reactivate the product, and baggied as usual. Hopefully when I rinse tomorrow my hair will be soft. If this works I can use way less product and still get the effect that I want.

*fingers crossed*

Trini_Chutney

Peeing in my shower
cch24 let me know how that turns out. I just ordered some shea moisture products online last week, do you like them? MY hair is in a wng with TJ nourish spa right now. I was supposed to do a henna last night but I've been too lazy. I plan on DCing and twisting on Sunday night.

cch24

The only Shea Moisture product I've tried is the deep moisturizing mask (that's so not what it's called, but I can't remember the exact name). I LOVE it, but when I was drenching my hair with it the jar only lasted for two uses, and I can't justify spending that much on a DC every month. If this works one jar should last at least 6 uses, which would be wonderful.

Take pics of your twists! I still haven't tried any sort of style other than a bun.

Avaya

How is everyone's hair doing??

Moisturizing nightly with Taliah Waajid's Bodifier and sealing with Global Goddess oil and whole head baggying has been working well for me. My her is soft and moist all day everyday.

I stopped combing daily. I just throw on my headband or scarf in the AM and go. My hair is too short for tangling and matting so no combing is working well for me at the moment.

Platinum

I haven't been online in a few days. My hair feels so strong since I henna'd. I'm thinking about doing it more often. My hair loves cowashing but I haven't found a staple. My scalp has been itching alot lately so I may start back on MN.

Keep up the good work Everyone!

cch24

My deep conditioning method worked wonderfully!!! Now I can save time, money, and product, but not compromise the health of my hair!!

lady djm

I just want to say that right now I feel great about my hair and it's nice to just put my head under the shower without worry. Still trying different products but I will also have braids in a few days.

cch24

I bolded APL in my siggy!!! I was moisturizing my hair for the night and decided to pull a piece from the back. I ran down the stairs awkwardly holding that piece of hair for my mom to confirm. She agreed, and followed me up the stairs demanding to know what I was doing to my hair. (Mom has a beautiful head of 3c curls that she's growing out) I was planning on waiting until July to see if my transitioning regimen would still work with my natural hair but since I'm growing and retaining length I won't change what's working. My goal is to be close enough to BSL by December that I don't feel the need to join the BSL 2011 challenge. I would like to join the MBL 2011 and possibly push myself into the WSL 2011 challenge.

If I make WSL by October 2011 than I will have gone from nothing to WSL in 3 years. I've seen it done many times on this board, and even if I don't make it, I know that I will be close, and ecstatic about my hair journey.

Happy hair growing!!

Anew

Okay I've read the threads on here and have seen few youtube vids abou the subject of scab hair. Before going natural I never paid attention to the threads because it didn't really interest me, now that it does I want to ask the ladies in THIS thread, have you experienced having scab hair?

I straightened the front part of my hair just to see what it looks like and I noticed while most of it starting from the roots were really straight, the ends were all tough and didn't respond to heat at all. It felt like my ends were a totally different texture. Well I ran across a youtube video and the young lady who made the video also has a blog and she posted pictures of her hair after cutting off the scab hair straightened and of the scab hair itself. It looks just like my hair, the scab hair that is. So all the talk of it being a myth vs reality blah blah blah, I believe its real. Now if it isn't real to me that just means its called something else and not scab hair, all I know is its definitely something I need to cut off.

I just ran my fingers through different sections of my hair and can clearly feel the difference. So I'm sorry for the long post, but I just wanted to know if anyone has dealt with this and if so what methods did you use to get rid of it? I don't want to straighten my hair but I want to be sure to get the scab hair off and nothing else. Eh, not sure what to do. Or if I should grow it out some more and wait, but length isn't a concern right now, I just want it to be healthy. So please if you read through all of this please chime in, lol

cch24

Okay I've read the threads on here and have seen few youtube vids abou the subject of scab hair. Before going natural I never paid attention to the threads because it didn't really interest me, now that it does I want to ask the ladies in THIS thread, have you experienced having scab hair?

I straightened the front part of my hair just to see what it looks like and I noticed while most of it starting from the roots were really straight, the ends were all tough and didn't respond to heat at all. It felt like my ends were a totally different texture. Well I ran across a youtube video and the young lady who made the video also has a blog and she posted pictures of her hair after cutting off the scab hair straightened and of the scab hair itself. It looks just like my hair, the scab hair that is. So all the talk of it being a myth vs reality blah blah blah, I believe its real. Now if it isn't real to me that just means its called something else and not scab hair, all I know is its definitely something I need to cut off.

I just ran my fingers through different sections of my hair and can clearly feel the difference. So I'm sorry for the long post, but I just wanted to know if anyone has dealt with this and if so what methods did you use to get rid of it? I don't want to straighten my hair but I want to be sure to get the scab hair off and nothing else. Eh, not sure what to do. Or if I should grow it out some more and wait, but length isn't a concern right now, I just want it to be healthy. So please if you read through all of this please chime in, lol

Hi Anew! I read all of your post and wanted to share my thoughts. I hope they help! I haven't experienced any scab hair but if you feel a distinct difference in the texture of your hair, then it must exist. My question is do you feel like this is hindering your progress? Would you feel better cutting the scab hair off now, or waiting until you've reached a length goal and then trimming? If you want to trim now (which is what I would suggest because even if it's not hindering your progress it can't be helping) I would just cut off the sections that feel more rough, since you said you can feel the distinct difference.

HTH!

pookaloo83

I would like to see the youtube video you speak of. :yep:

Foxglove

A drop of golden sun
Hi all, I've been overseas (sometimes with no internet) so I haven't been able to log in as much. Congratulations to all the new BC'ers!! I still have my hair hidden away. I'm hoping to last at least 3 months but I'm already anxious to play in my hair. The only thing stopping me from taking this out is how much I paid for it

Foxglove

A drop of golden sun

I've noticed this in my hair too. I had to straighten it to get it braided and it felt just like you described. I'm still hungry for length so I really don't want to cut it. I'll see how I feel at 2 years post. I may trim it either then or at my 1 year nappiversary

Nali1987

I BC'ed! Dealing with two textures just got too insane for me to deal with. I like how it looks, feels, everything! I keep playing with the little kinks. I've received a lot of compliments on my twa. I have a question, are there any naturals out there that co-wash on a daily basis? How is your hair handling it? Thanks for the replies!

cch24

I BC'ed! Dealing with two textures just got too insane for me to deal with. I like how it looks, feels, everything! I keep playing with the little kinks. I've received a lot of compliments on my twa. I have a question, are there any naturals out there that co-wash on a daily basis? How is your hair handling it? Thanks for the replies!

Congratulations Nali! I cowash and detangle with a seamless comb every day and my hair is thriving. I know some people consider daily detangling too much manipulation but I only comb in the shower with my hair full of conditioner. I bun daily, but I just use my hands to smooth my hair back.

I would say give it a try, and see if your hair likes it.

Grand Prix

Funny, I never believed it either until the day I BC'd. It seriously felt like I needed a trim. :ohwell:
I started snipping bits off a couple of days after, but then you suddenly realize how short your hair already is since you just big chopped it all off, lol, so I'm leaving it for now.
It feels kind of better the longer it's been since my BC. I wonder if it has more to do with those ends being so near that fragile line of demarcation than the relaxer crawling up your roots. I mean, how come relaxed heads don't have this problem all down the length of their hair?

Yay! :congrats:

I do cowash on a daily basis, but I kind of wish I wouldn't have to.
I've been wearing wash and goes every day (even to work, everybody loved it!) and I think I will until I have enough length to make a decent bun (thanks for the tips ladies, but I think I just need a little more hair).
So far it's been okay, but I have to find my new protein/moisture balance for cowashing every day, plus I'm worried about build up.

So now I'm looking for a good conditioner without too much silicones, defines my curl, is cheap (or at least lasts), and smells nice since I'm leaving it in. :look:
Any suggestions?

Nali1987

Yay! :congrats:

I do cowash on a daily basis, but I kind of wish I wouldn't have to.
I've been wearing wash and goes every day (even to work, everybody loved it!) and I think I will until I have enough length to make a decent bun (thanks for the tips ladies, but I think I just need a little more hair).
So far it's been okay, but I have to find my new protein/moisture balance for cowashing every day, plus I'm worried about build up.

So now I'm looking for a good conditioner without too much silicones, defines my curl, is cheap (or at least lasts), and smells nice since I'm leaving it in. :look:
Any suggestions?

Thank you! So friday I woke up and my afro felt so dry and brittle. So I'm in the bus going to school, reading a magazine and I see that Corinne Bailey Rae uses the Honey Moisturizing Conditioner by The Body Shop. Product Junkie that I am I went to the bodyshop yesterday and bought it. My hair loves it. It's 9 euro for a 250ml bottle and it smells soo delicious, like honey, vanilla and banana. Like cake! :grin:

Nali1987

Oh and Andrelon has a cheap conditioner called "Perfect krul" with aloe as well. 300 ml bottle for like 3 euro's in C1000, if I remember correctly.

Grand Prix

Oh and Andrelon has a cheap conditioner called "Perfect krul" with aloe as well. 300 ml bottle for like 3 euro's in C1000, if I remember correctly.

Yes I've been eyeing that conditioner for a while, but whenever I pick it up I look at the ingredients and go :ohwell:..
A lot of Dutch girls I know are succesful with this brand so I guess I could give it a try for that price. I got a little too used to spending my money on luxury conditioners that now that I'm broke I don't want to use any of the regular stuff. :lachen:

I just happen to have that honey moisturizing conditioner too. :yawn:

ETA: Cch, if you're co-washing daily, what do you use?

cch24

Hey Grand Prix! I use Tresemme Naturals Moisturizing Conditioner every day. I love it soo much! It's cheap and effective. Once a week I do a light protein treatment with Mane N Tail and coconut oil.

I noticed you mentioned build up, have you considered being cone-free?

Ms.Christ3n

My hair is growing ridiculously fast since the big chop. I cut off an inch ( two in some areas) and I'm making great progress. My pics are in my siggy!

Originally Posted by Nali1987
I BC'ed! Dealing with two textures just got too insane for me to deal with. I like how it looks, feels, everything! I keep playing with the little kinks. I've received a lot of compliments on my twa. I have a question, are there any naturals out there that co-wash on a daily basis? How is your hair handling it? Thanks for the replies! [\quote]

I cowash my hair on a daily basis, sometimes twice a day! I just do a light protein treatment once a week to equal out with the moisture.

Last edited:

Anew

Hi Anew! I read all of your post and wanted to share my thoughts. I hope they help! I haven't experienced any scab hair but if you feel a distinct difference in the texture of your hair, then it must exist. My question is do you feel like this is hindering your progress? Would you feel better cutting the scab hair off now, or waiting until you've reached a length goal and then trimming? If you want to trim now (which is what I would suggest because even if it's not hindering your progress it can't be helping) I would just cut off the sections that feel more rough, since you said you can feel the distinct difference.

HTH!
Hi cch, thanks! I don't think its hindering progress yet, I've only been natural for 8 weeks give or take a few days. But I guess I'd rather just get rid of it now than later. Well also b/c I'm scared that it would hinder my progress in the future, I'm just not sure. I think I'll go ahead and just cut them off while my hair is still super short.

Last edited:

andromeda

Welcome to all the new naturals and glad to see how everyone's doing with their hair.

Boy, oh boy, I'm just loving my hair too much. I still have yet to back under a wig and with the temperature spike that we got the week before last, I certainly had even more of a reason to be au naturale. I've been co-washing every day or every day and doing a puff, a fro or taking a piece from each temple and pulling it back, like in this pic:

I've also used ecostyler in my puffs and afro's on several occasions, like in this pic

Last week, I put in some mini twists are wore them for a few days and then did a twist out. Todays I'm wearing a twist out from 10 large twists.

I need to set up a game plan for attractive protective styles and stick to it. It's sort of a catch 22 bc I feel I would be more inclined to wear twists and braids if my hair was denser and yet, by not keeping it in such styles, I'm drifting further away from a decent amount of density. I actually styled my twists really nicely the other day, sort of into victory rolls, but I much prefer the big, nappy look of a puff or pinned-back fro. And contrary to what I anticipated, I like being able to do wash-n-go's often and in the process of doing so, I even discovered a divine-smelling cheapie conditioner in my stash - v05 tea therapy vanilla mint chamomille cleansing conditioner:love:.

Anyways, those are my ramblings:yawn:...