~*~*The Newly Natural Thread*~*~

SherylsTresses

So I tried KCKT because I was out of my beloved Giovanni leave-in and styled my hair into a slick bun. My bun looked horrible and DH talked about it. :perplexed I quickly cowashed and used my newly purchased GDLI. :gorgeous: Not sure if I'll ever try KCNT or Qhemet AOHC anymore. :nono:

Foxglove

A drop of golden sun
It's been a busy month and I haven't had time to reply to everybody individually. Just popped in to say thanks everybody for all the hair love!

fivetimestwo

So I did the BC a little more than a week ago and since this is my second time going natural (not counting being born natural :lachen:) I've noticed that my hair is not "behaving" like it did when I was natural from 04-08. My hair is IMO, much thinner. I think the curl pattern is roughly the same so I don't think I've had a change in hair type. I am I am 3C at the nape and 4a everywhere else but my hair will not make a fro, I can't seem to get a decent twist out (this was my staple style before as a natural) and my WNGs just don't "hang" right.

Has anyone gone natural again and noticed that their hair is much different than before? I really don't know what to do with it at this point. I have been wearing it up because that's the only style that doesn't look absolutely ridiculous and anorexic. I was so happy to chop because I thought it meant I could enjoy my hair again (hid my transitioning hair under half-wigs and lacefronts) but I'm not having much fun right now. :sad:

Alta Angel

OK, so it's not just me. I used this as the base for the infamous Kimmaytube Leave in after my wash yesterday and I hated it . I also attempted a wash-n-go using this and the Curling Custard and it was a complete failure. I will stick to using Giovanni Direct Leave in for my leave in base and a conditioner and Ecostyler if I ever attempt a WNG again.

So I tried KCKT because I was out of my beloved Giovanni leave-in and styled my hair into a slick bun. My bun looked horrible and DH talked about it. :perplexed I quickly cowashed and used my newly purchased GDLI. :gorgeous: Not sure if I'll ever try KCNT or Qhemet AOHC anymore. :nono:

Cheekychica

I've got pitchas!!!!!!! I'm getting closer to my 1 year BC anniversary (May) and I'm finally starting to see some growth. I have some pics from this wknd.

I started out with my sides pulled back

But then I decided to go with a big fro instead

For comparison, here's a pic from last July

:yay:

cch24

I finally found the perfect product combination to give me smooth, shiny, and sleek braidouts. I love the fluffy look on others, but it's just not for me. I used Mixed Chicks as leave-in and Tigi Curlesque Curl Amplifier as a styler. I put in eight braids and used my satin covered foam rollers to curl the ends. Now if only I had the perfect dryer... After one hour under the dryer and one hour napping my ends were still wet. I ordered a stand up dryer from Sally's and I'm hoping that will make my hair dry in less time. Until then, I'm rocking two pigtail braids.

Zaz

Anyone using Curls brand product? I tried doing a search but the word curls is so common on hair boards that I can't really find much :ohwell: I vaguely recall reading good things about Curls milkshake but I'm not sure.

I bought some Curl creme brulee from Bed bath and beyond while I was in NYC and I really like the smell. I went on their website and it's not sold there because apparently they split the line into high and low end. So if I want to repurchase I'd have to order from Target instead of directly from them. The website stuff is high end, and the products sold at Target... is the lower end line (I'm not sure why though the prices seem about the same to me)

Anyhow, has anyone used either sides of this line? Also would the Curls souffle be the equivalent of the Creme brulee?

Last edited:

Zaz

How often are you ladies cowashing? Totally random I know, but just curious.

I've been cowashing daily and trying out new products for my wash n gos. I find that I prefer styling cremes to gels so I'm using up all my gels right now to phase out all but one tub that I'll keep to pull my hair back.

Stepiphanie

Um, excuse me Stepiphanie...

You are going to have to describe, in great detail, how you created that style! I love it!

Alta Angel , it was actually pretty simple, I had taken my twists out and instead of wearing it down I pinned up high. Started in the back, then the L side, pinned it slightly to the R to create a swoopy bang effect, than I pinned the right, I fluffed the top a bit for volume and voila!!

HTH

Ltown

Greyland
I finally found the perfect product combination to give me smooth, shiny, and sleek braidouts. I love the fluffy look on others, but it's just not for me. I used Mixed Chicks as leave-in and Tigi Curlesque Curl Amplifier as a styler. I put in eight braids and used my satin covered foam rollers to curl the ends. Now if only I had the perfect dryer... After one hour under the dryer and one hour napping my ends were still wet. I ordered a stand up dryer from Sally's and I'm hoping that will make my hair dry in less time. Until then, I'm rocking two pigtail braids.
Cc24' this sound good I have the same problems with my braidouts. I tried jane carter curl define and uncle funky in the last two days and nothing.

Ltown

Greyland
So I did the BC a little more than a week ago and since this is my second time going natural (not counting being born natural :lachen:) I've noticed that my hair is not "behaving" like it did when I was natural from 04-08. My hair is IMO, much thinner. I think the curl pattern is roughly the same so I don't think I've had a change in hair type. I am I am 3C at the nape and 4a everywhere else but my hair will not make a fro, I can't seem to get a decent twist out (this was my staple style before as a natural) and my WNGs just don't "hang" right.

Has anyone gone natural again and noticed that their hair is much different than before? I really don't know what to do with it at this point. I have been wearing it up because that's the only style that doesn't look absolutely ridiculous and anorexic. I was so happy to chop because I thought it meant I could enjoy my hair again (hid my transitioning hair under half-wigs and

lacefronts) but I'm not having much fun right now. :sad:

Congratulations on being natural! I have been natural for a year and still learning what products and techinque will work, it takes time to learn how to manage your hair. Try to get sample products, so you don't get caught up in PJ like me. I thought i knew my hair too from the past but last time i was natural i wore it twa so thst was simple. Good luck and enjoy!

Sequoia

I don't co-wash, it causes build up on my scalp and makes it itchy. I wash with diluted JASON shampoo, which is SLS free.

Anyone using Curls brand product? I tried doing a search but the word curls is so common on hair boards that I can't really find much :ohwell: I vaguely recall reading good things about Curls milkshake but I'm not sure.

I bought some Curl creme brulee from Bed bath and beyond while I was in NYC and I really like the smell. I went on their website and it's not sold there because apparently they split the line into high and low end. So if I want to repurchase I'd have to order from Target instead of directly from them. The website stuff is high end, and the products sold at Target... is the lower end line (I'm not sure why though the prices seem about the same to me)

Anyhow, has anyone used either sides of this line? Also would the Curls souffle be the equivalent of the Creme brulee?

I've only tried Curls Milkshake and Curls whipped cream and to be honest I had no idea why I bought them (a moment of weakness, i guess).

The milkshake was like water, didn't moisturise, define or do anything for my hair. I don't think it was made for my type 4b hair, would probably work better for other hair types. (I really, really don't know why I got this :nono:)

The whipped cream is a bit better- i use it to twist and it gives me a decent, defined twistout. I can't use too much though or my hair feels greasy.

2sweetnsugarland

Right now I'm cowashing every day and loving the effect!!! I don't know what I'll do when it gets longer.:perplexed I use Pantene with grapeseed oil mixed in, put a head band on and let it air dry. Almost every day I tell my DH how much I love my natural hair. BTW he loves it too!!:yep:

cch24

Ltown I just started experimenting with braidouts and I happened upon a good regimen fairly quickly. Since I like my hair to be sleek and defined with less volume I've found that using a creamy leave-in that spreads well (or even plain old conditioner) with a styler on top works very well. When my braids look smooth and shiny I know my braidout is going to look good. I also only use my hands to smooth the products because my hair straightens very easily from the weight. What products have you tried?

Ltown

Greyland
@Ltown I just started experimenting with braidouts and I happened upon a good regimen fairly quickly. Since I like my hair to be sleek and defined with less volume I've found that using a creamy leave-in that spreads well (or even plain old conditioner) with a styler on top works very well. When my braids look smooth and shiny I know my braidout is going to look good. I also only use my hands to smooth the products because my hair straightens very easily from the weight. What products have you tried?

CCh24, you are my hair twin:grin: This is my issue too, I don't like all the volume although lately folks have been giving comments. I have tried kccc with kckt(yuck), ecostyler, miss jessie. Monday tried Jane carter curl fine nope, yesterday uncle funky gel (no) I had samples of JC/UF so good thing. I don't like wax or anything with glycerin. I have gotten my best braidout with just using gvp paul mitchell detangler using the curly girl methods. So I need to stick to that which seems to be the same for you. I use kckt as my leave in. Since I don't like volume either I been bunning but my edges are starting to get thin and I didn't go natural to stay in buns forever.

twatombl

I recently began posting and have a lot of catching up to do, I lurked the board for a short time and am so thankful for all of the tips shared. As a new natural one frustration I'm having is all the money spent on trying products!

Ltown I see you didn't like kccc at all or uncle funky and had samples for Uncle Funky and Jane, did you also try samples for the other brands, or is there a thread that provides brands that offer sample sizes? I haven't been on the board long but I already know I am a PJ lol!

Ltown

Greyland
I recently began posting and have a lot of catching up to do, I lurked the board for a short time and am so thankful for all of the tips shared. As a new natural one frustration I'm having is all the money spent on trying products!

Ltown I see you didn't like kccc at all or uncle funky and had samples for Uncle Funky and Jane, did you also try samples for the other brands, or is there a thread that provides brands that offer sample sizes? I haven't been on the board long but I already know I am a PJ lol!
twatombl
In Maryland there is a natural hair store that stock a lot of products and they offer sample, rare opportunity with that one, most pf the products i brought. There is a thread you can search for in the exchange forum, it call hate it dump on me, or just start a thread wanted and name it. There is alot of friendly ladies that will share.

Last edited:

NikkiQ

^^^I'm the same way. I PS everyday with full and half wigs so I cowash daily at the moment. Trying to get my ridiculous collection of conditioners down in the process while finding out which is better for me. 2 birds with one stone. I do find that my hair can be a bit dry by the end of the day. When I get home from work and take the wig off prior to hopping in the shower and cowashing, it seems like it sucked up all the moisture throughout the day. What do you do to combat this if you have the same problem?

nestlequik

^^^I'm the same way. I PS everyday with full and half wigs so I cowash daily at the moment. Trying to get my ridiculous collection of conditioners down in the process while finding out which is better for me. 2 birds with one stone. I do find that my hair can be a bit dry by the end of the day. When I get home from work and take the wig off prior to hopping in the shower and cowashing, it seems like it sucked up all the moisture throughout the day. What do you do to combat this if you have the same problem?

What are you using NikkiQ? It could be a few things- too much protein, not using a leave-in, etc.

So I decided to bring in my humidifier. I wear my hair in a twist out and even though I moisturize in the morning and at night my ends are still dry. I realized my little heater I like to keep on since it's so cold in my office may be the culprit. With all that dry air from the hvac and my little heater, no wonder my hair tends to be dry. So we'll see if this humidifier works.

NikkiQ

I cowash with whatever cheapie conditioner I have available. I use KCKT, Mixed Silk, or Silk Elements leave in after every cowash. I used an Aphogee 2-step treatment about 2 weeks ago. To moisturize, I have Cantu, Profectiv,or CFCG, and seal with Hot 6 Oil. Any help for me? :(

andromeda

^^Just my regular wig cap
If it's a stocking wig cap, that's sucking the moisture from your hair. You should wear a satin/silk scarf/bonnet as a wigcap to lock in your moisture. If you want something with a tighter fit and less fabric, you should be able to find satin scull caps at your local bss or online.

eta: Also, maybe you can try whole-head baggying to keep moisture intact during the day.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Who's taking advantage of the Hairveda sale?

I ordered Hairveda Sitrinillah. I was considering ordering the Vatika Frosting but aside from the delectable name, it seems like glorified coconut oil. I'm sure it's a great product, but I already have all the ingredients (coconut oil, amla, henna, lemon) in my posession, so...

Last edited:

Ltown

Greyland
If it's a stocking wig cap, that's sucking the moisture from your hair. You should wear a satin/silk scarf/bonnet as a wigcap to lock in your moisture. If you want something with a tighter fit and less fabric, you should be able to find satin scull caps at your local bss or online.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Who's taking advantage of the Hairveda sale?

I ordered Hairveda Sitrinillah. I was considering ordering the Vatika Frosting but aside from the delectable name, it seems like glorified coconut oil. I'm sure it's a great product, but I already have all the ingredients (coconut oil, amla, henna, lemon) in my posession, so...

I tried to get some sitrinillah but it out of order? how is that when the orders are suppose to be hand made to order:rolleyes: I like the frosting especially the smell and ordered and do have coconut oil but it does have some herbal in it. Maybe I can added something next time to my infusion:lol: just got to get that frosting or vanilla smell.