Transitioning without BC'ing Support Thread

RockCreak

I'm back again! Decided to BC back in December and approaching 7 months post. I'm getting good results just struggling with all in between stages. Too short for some styles not long enough for others... smh the struggle is real! I'm just happy that we're in these summer months now because this is the season that my hair really thrives. :rolleyes:

okange76

Well, I'm on month number 8 and I'm finally confident that I will go through with the transition. I've been undecided for the last few months and even scheduled relaxer dates. As the time goes by, the urge to relax diminishes. I don't have a set regimen other than a weekly deep condition and set at my neighborhood salon. I also use Mizani Nighttime Treatment before I go to bed. I find myself staring at natural hair all the time whether IRL or on the web. I think I am mentally ready for this. Will be installing crochet braids in the next few weeks and will continue doing so till all the perm falls out. I hope I don't change my mind halfway.

Nightingale

On the Grow and Keeping it Simple
Another one bites the dust...

Yesterday I let my mom talk me into to big chopping. It seemed reasonable and I only had a few inches of texturized hair left in most areas, so why not? Well even though I'm happy to be natural, I'm unhappy with the length. I should have held out longer. Hubby swears I look cute and that it isn't as short as it feels to me. He's probably right.

I braided my hair as I chopped so I haven't seen my hair loose yet. Dry the plaits stretch to about APL in the back and bottom of chin in the front. I plan on taking the braids down today to play with my hair. Hopefully, I'll feel better about everything after that.

Last edited:

Coilystep

@imperial_acquisitions
Another one bites the dust...

Yesterday I let my mom talk me into to big chopping. It seemed reasonable and I only had a few inches of texturized hair left in most areas, so why not? Well even though I'm happy to be natural, I'm unhappy with the length. I should have held out longer. Hubby swears I look cute and that it isn't as short as it feels to me. He's probably right.

I braided my hair as I chopped so I haven't seen my hair loose yet. Dry the plaits stretch to about APL in the back and bottom of chin in the front. I plan on taking the braids down today to play with my hair. Hopefully, I'll feel better about everything after that.
Congratulations on your BC. It will be ok. Especially if you have supportive people in your life. I definitely wasn't happy about my length when I chopped but I was more sick of my relaxed ends. It will grow much faster now. Have fun with it and use this time to get to know your natural hair. Please post pics when you feel comfortable. Would love to see it.

Nightingale

Congratulations on your BC. It will be ok. Especially if you have supportive people in your life. I definitely wasn't happy about my length when I chopped but I was more sick of my relaxed ends. It will grow much faster now. Have fun with it and use this time to get to know your natural hair. Please post pics when you feel comfortable. Would love to see it.

Thanks stephanie!

IMG_20150627_091326a.jpg

Braid out.

I actually like it more now that I took the braids out. I can work with this.

You can see I have to trim a little more in a few areas, but I'll wait until after I wash to do that. Some spots seemed more wavy than curly or coil and I couldn't tell where the line of demarcation was.

I'll post more pics in better lighting when I wash my hair next.

ClassyJSP

I need to take my time and read through this entire thread I haven't had a perm at all this year and I'm debating on if I'm going to continue my stretch or actually put this perm in that I brought

Nightingale

I'm back ladies!

After a few hours with that braid out, I really started feeling myself. I was flipping my hair, tossing it, swinging it, and all sorts of other annoying things because I felt so sassy.

Today, I washed my hair and tried a WnG. Results below.

FirstWnGdamp.jpg FirstWnGdry.jpg
The first pic is damp hair, the second is dry hair. I don't think I did that bad a job for a first try.

Overall, I love my hair and no longer feel regretful about cutting earlier than I planned.

halfindian

Lovely locs @Nightingale.

I am joining the group. My last relaxer was in March and I am not sure when I will BC. This is my second time transitioning the first time I stopped at 10 months cause my hairdresser said I had enough growth. I was natural for 4 years then relaxed 3 years lol. Round 2 baby!!!

greenandchic

After dealing with diagnosed hair loss related to health issues, medication side effects and the like, I'm thinking of transitioning to get my hair and a scalp a break from the chemicals while I treat the issue.

I haven't made the decision yet but I'm leaning towards it. I had such a difficult time with my natural hair, I'm afraid of going through that again though.

PlainJane

Checkin in... @Nightingale your hair looks amazing!!!
I used a hair spray and I'm pretty sure it's what gave me heat damage. It also caused some breakage and dryness but miracle 7 brought it back quick. Oh well, I'm still holding out at 19 months post. I've been getting lots of compliments on my hair's thickness but I'm pretty sure it's only because of the transition. That's the main reason I'm sticking with this because my hair just looks fuller and healthier without trying and it's not really dense. SO thinks I should stick to braid outs because every time we go somewhere after I straighten my hair, it poofs up in about two hours. I think I'll take his advice lol

okange76

It's been 9 months and the growth is so thick and I have no way of making my hair look cute. I'm tired of the pony tails and barrettes. Can't wear any braidouts or wash n gos because tangles will ruin my life. Don't want to sit for hours getting braids and don't want to big chop. This is much harder than it looks.

Coilystep

@imperial_acquisitions
It's been 9 months and the growth is so thick and I have no way of making my hair look cute. I'm tired of the pony tails and barrettes. Can't wear any braidouts or wash n gos because tangles will ruin my life. Don't want to sit for hours getting braids and don't want to big chop. This is much harder than it looks.
Month 9 was one of my hardest. That's when I started cutting random pieces to see what my natural hair looked like.

GettingKinky

I live in buns and ponytails. I don't know what I would do if I decided I didn't want to wear them anymore.

rileypak

Wash Week™ Queen
Just realized I'll be 21 months post in a few days. Nape is almost natural (well one side still has quite a few relaxed ends on it) but the ends on the front are still hanging on by a lot. Haven't decided if I'm going to BC in November on my 2 year anniversary or not.
The right side of my head seems looser and thinner/less bulky than the left side. Can't tell if it's just like that or if I'm unknowingly rougher on that side of my head and I'm damaging it (I'm right-handed too). I'm not alarmed by it since it's not like I can see scalp or anything but it's an observation.
I've been terrible about taking pics throughout this journey too. I need to do better.

shasha8685

I took my braids out and it seems like I have much more hair than before lawd. I am currently 8 months post and I see myself just doing a lot of twist outs and maybe a bantu knot out here and there. As I was washing my hair last night, I could tell that my new growth responds very well to the products made for natural haired folks. I found my hair was moisturized and easy to detangle (with my k cutter comb). The relaxed part gave me the most grief.

I'm deciding on when I want to start wigging but right out it is much too hot to even think about that.