Transitioning without BC'ing Support Thread

shasha8685

8 months post and I am making it

I see that my new growth requires more moisture than my relaxed hair ever did.

My new growth also responds positively to Oyin products. They may become my staple products as I progress in my transition.

Since I'm not trying to maintain straight hair, I'm finding that this go 'round with transitioning is pretty easy. However, I am finding that my wash days take more time. I have to set aside time to apply conditioners, detangle and moisturize my hair. I'm finding that I have to do everything in sections too. I'm guessing that this will be par for the course the further I get into this transition.

I'm still trying to figure out when to get my first trim though.....

MysTori

This is my third time transitioning. The first two times I did the big chop within 12-18 months. This time, I'm doing to do a long transition, somewhere between 2-3 years while slowly trimming my ends. Currently, I'm 6.5 months along.

Last edited:

PlainJane

Just checking in at 20 months post!

I'm still cowashing instead of shampooing and my hair loves it. I'm soo mad it took me so long to do this.

I'm throwing out my grease! My pomades and butters work just fine now and I would rather use those since I haven't been using shampoo.

I'm trying to DC overnight at least twice a month but I've been slacking.

I've been doing twist outs but they are mostly fails lol. So my hair just ends up in a bun. I probably won't feel comfortable with them until my hair is longer and completely natural.

SO still doesn't understand what transitioning to natural means and I've given up explaining it to him.

I planned to chop at 24 months post but I'll just do a mini chop instead. My hair isn't as long as I thought it would be by now and I'm okay with that.

Finally comfortable saying I will never relax again.

I'm pretty set on all the products for my regimen but I still need a daily moisturizer!!! Help!

CICI24

I'm flirting with the idea of transitioning. I will be 7 months post next weekend. I currently have 2.5 -3 inches of natural hair. My hair grows a half an inch per month but I believe the first inch or two grew out straighter because of relaxing. My hair texture is coming in curlier the longer I transition/stretch. If I decide to transition this will be my 4th time going natural. The longest I've ever transitioned in the past was about 8 months. I want to at least have 6 inches of hair before I cut the relaxed ends off.

H0tPinkButtafly

I big chopped last night! I made it over 21 months post relaxer. I was going for 24 months but I guess I was just ready. Even when I would wear my hair straight I could tell the difference between the natural and relaxed sections and I was tired of it. My longest layer in the back is about apl now. Now I'm on the hair growth journey and learning styles for my hair :)

Guinan

Re-Branding
@EnExitStageLeft , your fro is growing! How are you normally wearing your hair?

My hair is coming along. I made APL. I hoping to get to grazing BSL by the end of this yr. The front of my hair still needs to catch up. My front is alttle pass SL. I'm still struggling with fairy notes but only on my nape but I think it has something to do with my WnG's.

kellistarr

I big chopped last night! I made it over 21 months post relaxer. I was going for 24 months but I guess I was just ready. Even when I would wear my hair straight I could tell the difference between the natural and relaxed sections and I was tired of it. My longest layer in the back is about apl now. Now I'm on the hair growth journey and learning styles for my hair :)

Congratulations! Now the fun starts. I like to put my hair in a pony on top of my head but I'm not big on combing it out to do that and finally, I can do it! It's taken 8 months. You did good waiting almost 24 mos. before chopping, you got something to work with.

divachyk

Instagram: adaybyjay
Hi ladies, I'm 60 weeks post (I think). I am tired of stretching but I don't want to relax. Did you all get to that point and how do you deal? I seem to get annoyed around wash day. Once wash day is behind me, I get back ok again and push forward.

GettingKinky

@divachyk I'm 63 weeks. I'm so ready to be fully natural, but not even close to being ready to chop. I don't mind wash day but that's probably because I don't worry about fully detangling. Until I'm ready to chop I'll just keep on keeping on in my braidout ponytail.

Guinan

Re-Branding
Hi ladies, I'm 60 weeks post (I think). I am tired of stretching but I don't want to relax. Did you all get to that point and how do you deal? I seem to get annoyed around wash day. Once wash day is behind me, I get back ok again and push forward.

I got to that point when I was transitioning; especially around the time that I did set to cut off the relaxed ends. Whenever I felt like that I would keep my reggie simple by wearing wigs. I would do my reg wash reggie and but my hair in 8 braids and just wig it. Sometimes, it also helped when I switched things up. Like I had cut off a small section of hair; so it was natural, and I would experiment with different products.

GettingKinky

@divachyk I'm not 100% sure I want to be natural either. I was texlaxed for 2 years and for the most part I really liked it. But everyone once in awhile I would get over processed and so I have parts of my length that are straight and I hate them. But I do like that my texlaxed hair stays straight when I have it flatironed. I figure that after I have a full head of natural hair, I can always go back to texlaxing if I don't like it.

Last edited:

greenandchic

20 weeks post and I'm officially transitioning! Since I started washing my hair 3 times a week (shampoo 2x, cowash 1x) my new growth is not nearly as hard to manage as it was in the past. 20 flew by and I hardly noticed.