Transitioning without BC'ing Support Thread

Saludable84

Better Late Than Ugly
@Saludable84, I don't have that issue. My hair gobbles that stuff up. Which did you use? How did you use it? Maybe we can brainstorm something.
I'm doing a whole post on it but I've used a few things.

JBCO is cool, but I need to implement the 2-day drying rule.

The pink one for thick hair is thick, but not creamy. Too heavy for thick hair. Hair was still wet for a week.

I haven't used the original one in years but the masque never worked and the shampoo was too harsh.

The Black Soap line I love.

I can't remember the rest.

halfindian

OK so last week I tried finger detangling. Umm my hair was dry and tangled. Had to smooth the top with gel all week. Matters worse I ran out of leave in and conditioner mid week. Uh uh. Disaster. Had to wait till wash day to sort out that mess. Shampoo, DC with Henna Placenta, conditioned with motions moisture plus for slip left it in and styled into a side bunned. Slathered on some organics hair mayo leave in. Ooooo my hair feels better. Tie for bed.

halfindian

A photo of the puffs I've been rocking.
Chime Edward has a similar style on her YouTube channel but she uses little metal clips to spice it up.

halfindian

Ladies who are 1+ year(s) transitioning please post hairstyle pics and tips you use to deal with the two textures.

I've been wearing mainly updos ( Buns, French twist, ponytails) Can't seem to get those braid or twist outs or sets right. Always an epic fail.

What I'd say has helped me deal with the two textures is detangling on wash days with a conditioner with lots of slip and keeping styling at a minimum (low manipulation).

rileypak

Wash Week™ Queen
Thanks @halfindian!

I don't do any hairstyles. Like nothing at all :lachen:
When I twist or braid my hair up and pull it into a bun on wash day, it remains that way until the next wash day. I just vary whether its a high or low bun every other week but I don't touch my hair at all during the week unless I'm putting my scarf on. I'm pretty much no manipulation right now and it's been serving my hair well I think.

For me, detangling prior to wetting my hair helps me the most. 95% of my detangling on wash day is done during pre-poo time on super oily or damp hair. That may change in the future but for now this works for me and I'm good. And combs are my friend. Just finger detangling is not enough for me.

Saludable84

Better Late Than Ugly
Ladies who are 1+ year(s) transitioning please post hairstyle pics and tips you use to deal with the two textures.

I've been wearing mainly updos ( Buns, French twist, ponytails) Can't seem to get those braid or twist outs or sets right. Always an epic fail.

What I'd say has helped me deal with the two textures is detangling on wash days with a conditioner with lots of slip and keeping styling at a minimum (low manipulation).

I hope the file uploaded. Im bunning now because it's a tad easier, but this is how my twist out normally looks. Twist out results depend on products used. I try to stick with moisturizing leave ins and lately, I have been sealing with a curling custard. I've noticed better results with the curling custard but you may have to shop around for a brand which, I will be honest, is tedious.

I've tried:
-Eden Bodyworks and I felt it was too watery and left my hair residue-dooey
-As I Am which I initially liked, but was actually leaving my hair too dry and residue-dooey. The definition was great.
-Shea Moisture Curling Gel Soufflé which for me, was too heavy and left my hair wet. When I use it for bunning, it's great, but it left me with residue too.
-Design Essentials Natural Honey is my HG. No sticky, no residue, lots of moisture and great texture definition. My only complain is it doesn't leave me with shine. But I'm ok with that. Why? Because it works for me.

Hope This Helped

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    466.8 KB · Views: 115

Jas123

The Star of a Story
Your hair grows like weeds!
I think it does... I was really surprised when my mom pulled my hair down in the back and it was in the middle of my back... my back grow the quickest, always has... But what is really, really surprising is my crown which never retained length whilst relaxed, it was a constant battle between breaking & cutting- and now when I pull it down it goes a lil' past my neck, that's like a freakin' miracle!

divachyk

Instagram: adaybyjay
@halfindian, thank you for the encouragement! Ok so for your question....

I've been wearing wigs and haven't really had the desire to fool with my hair. I wore my hair in a bun all last week and will repeat that this week. I might return to wigs in a few weeks but I wanted to give my edges some rest since I've been in wigs non-stop (except weekends) for this entire transition. I pretty sure my hairstyle will be a bun because much like @rileypak, I leave my hair in that bun for days before touching it again.

Tips:
Use a detangler when / where possible
Detangle the relaxed hair while it's in a dry state (before spray natural hair with water)
Detangle natural hair after dampening it with water.
Wash hair in braids
Unravel braids to apply deep conditioner to get to inner areas
Find a hairstyle that you can keep in for multiple days or wear wigs

GettingKinky

@halfindian my go to style for the past year has been a braidout ponytail. Every night I put 2 braids in my hair (while my hair is still in a ponytail) and curl the ends on perm rods.
Every other night before I braid, I moisturize using the LOC method. Every morning I smooth the front of my hair,remake the ponytail and tie my hair down with a scarf.

rileypak

Wash Week™ Queen
I should add I totally agree with @divachyk about detanglers. Use them! Whether it's a product marketed as a detangler, a super slippy conditioner, oil, or a homemade concoction you make, by all means use an aid to help.

I've been enjoying using a distilled water/glycerin spray lately. I just unravel my twists/braids, spray my section of hair a little bit and let it soak in for a few minutes to "reactivate" the butters on my hair then grab my Conair Double Wavy Comb and get to it.

On a completely random note- I love how my hair looks when I unravel it and fluff it momentarily to get a taste of a twist out or braid out before I start detangling it.
It's almost enough to make me chop off the remainders of straight pieces right then sometimes :lol:

Attachments

• IMG_20160226_165209.jpg
    IMG_20160226_165209.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 102

greenandchic

I don't do many styles other than buns and braid outs. The buns are pretty much what you see in my photo. For my braid outs, I do the LOC method to set my hair. I don't use gels at this point, only moisturizing products...

Attachments

• IMG_2443.JPG
    IMG_2443.JPG
    75.1 KB · Views: 100

greenandchic

@halfindian my go to style for the past year has been a braidout ponytail. Every night I put 2 braids in my hair (while my hair is still in a ponytail) and curl the ends on perm rods.
Every other night before I braid, I moisturize using the LOC method. Every morning I smooth the front of my hair,remake the ponytail and tie my hair down with a scarf.

That's pretty much what I do though I wash every 3-4 days due to gym, sweat, dryness, etc.

halfindian

Thanks @greenandchic

@rileypak your hair looks to die for.

I shower detangle or detangle wet in sections with conditioner or leave-in conditioners. Many of you use low manipulation hairstyles. Mine keep causing breakage around the hairline. I think I may be pulling them too tight or maybe not moisturising them enough. Planning on trying the LOC method as well as adding a pre poo to my routine. I shampoo and DC weekly. Use leave in conditioner to moisturize. Oh that dreaded breakage is frustrating.

halfindian

Omg ladies keep the tips coming!!! @divachyk pulls out my list and adds moisturizing mist. Lol.

*thinking out loud* tonight I styled my little angel for school tomorrow and put little braids around the hairline that sparked an ah ha moment. Braiding around the hairline gives the hair a neat look without tension. Will take a pic in 3.. 2.. 1...

Attachments

• IMG_20160322_203054.jpg
    IMG_20160322_203054.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 95
  • IMG_20160322_203030.jpg
    IMG_20160322_203030.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 95

halfindian

Tried a braid out yesterday.
Sprayed with water, then a little conditioner and eco styler argon oil gel. Tried to style the braid out.

Attachments

• 1458690532606.jpg
    1458690532606.jpg
    429.4 KB · Views: 96

halfindian

I have been trying LOC again. Liquid - water, oil - coconut oil, cream - organics hair mayo liquid leave in. my hair feels moisturised but after it dries it feels oily. Pros I've been experiencing less breakage, easy detangling, hair feels soft despite oiliness.

Also I've been playing with my hair. Manipulating it very much trying styles. Lol. Yesterday I had a French twist. Today I tried a French twist with a twist. They look so sophisticated. I can see them being my go to style once I am fully natural. Absotlutly no tension on edges or scalp. Hoping to try a cornrow braid out soon.

So far styles I'm loving are buns, ponytails, banana clip ponytails (although these pull at my edges and leave them sore), French twists. Not liking any out styles or sets for now. I have not had any successful results with them.

Products I'm loving are good old ORS replenishing pak and the other ORS with the banana and bamboo, organics hair mayonnaise liquid leave in.

Attachments

• IMG_20160326_103000.jpg
    IMG_20160326_103000.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 79
  • IMG_20160328_072108.jpg
    IMG_20160328_072108.jpg
    760.2 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_20160328_072209.jpg
    IMG_20160328_072209.jpg
    774.7 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_20160328_072258.jpg
    IMG_20160328_072258.jpg
    706.8 KB · Views: 79

FriscoGirl

I have been trying LOC again. Liquid - water, oil - coconut oil, cream - organics hair mayo liquid leave in. my hair feels moisturised but after it dries it feels oily. Pros I've been experiencing less breakage, easy detangling, hair feels soft despite oiliness.

Also I've been playing with my hair. Manipulating it very much trying styles. Lol. Yesterday I had a French twist. Today I tried a French twist with a twist. They look so sophisticated. I can see them being my go to style once I am fully natural. Absotlutly no tension on edges or scalp. Hoping to try a cornrow braid out soon.

So far styles I'm loving are buns, ponytails, banana clip ponytails (although these pull at my edges and leave them sore), French twists. Not liking any out styles or sets for now. I have not had any successful results with them.

Products I'm loving are good old ORS replenishing pak and the other ORS with the banana and bamboo, organics hair mayonnaise liquid leave in.

GORGEOUS!!! You are my natural hair inspiration. I love the thickness and length you are maintaining.

divachyk

Does the hair stall at some point? I'm 21 months post and feel like I'm at a standstill. I'm not measuring, just eyeballing it and things have seem quite the same for a while.

halfindian

It may just look that way. Something about the way curly hair grows outward then down blah blah blah I read that when I first transitioned. This also has to do with length when curly vs length when straight. If only I could remember where I saw this. Hope this helps chica. You'll have to take pics or pull down. You could also estimate how long it should be at a growth rate of .5 inches per month and do a little ruler check.

halfindian

LOC is affecting my skin. The coconut oil is causing my face to break out. It is also leaving my hair oily and stringy. I'll have to settle for a leave in with oils and water as the main ingredient.

My edges have been growing out but I keep styling my hair tight with the banana clip. It has been a lifesaver on those days when I have no idea what to do with my hair but those days I pull it tight to make it look neat. I need to rethink my regimen and see if cowashing mid week might help with styling.

Also I pulled out my stocking tie. Started using it again to put my hair in ponytails. It is gentle on the strands and helps with the tension on the hairline too.

divachyk

I took a break from wigs and initially thought it would only be for a few weeks. I've been without wigs now going on a month or more. I'm actually enjoying having my hair out. Sure, I get more breakage with manipulating my hair more and I'm having to wash my hair more....but I think I needed the break from wigs.