Transitioning without BC'ing Support Thread

mzhotniz86

Hey yall! Im going to be starting my natural hair journey. I texlaxed this past weekend & it was bad. I suffered major damage. My last 3 re touches have been breaking & thinning my hair, so its time for a change. I had 6 months worth of new growth before i texlaxed, so i was able to see what my texture would look like. Im a 4b / 4c. I will be letting this relaxed hair grow out & transitioning. Thanks so much for this thread because i will need all the inspiration& advice i can get.

Attachments

• 20161217_200620.jpg
    20161217_200620.jpg
    832.7 KB · Views: 41

mzhotniz86

Welcome!! @mzhotniz86
How long do you think you'll transition for? I'm trying to make it to June, but every wash day the temptation to cut of these last ~4 inches gets stronger.

Cut them ! Lol nah just playing you'll probably be just fine waiting til june.
I want to transition for a year at least & clip my ends. Im about to cut my relaxed hair into a shorter bob tonight so i can start fresh.

GettingKinky

@GettingKinky, maybe that's a sign that it's time. j/k...not really. :drunk: My husband's health was the reason I cut mine. I just couldn't be bothered with one more stressor. Best decision ever. I haven't looked back. You have wonderful length so you won't be style challenged.

I think I am getting tired of the relaxed ends. The strange thing is I have more straight ends on the left side than on the right. I think my texlaxes must not have been that uniform.

But I'm still going to try and hold out until June

divachyk

Instagram: adaybyjay
@GettingKinky, I could see that my hair wasn't uniformed either during my transition. One side had a bunch of straight strands and the other had wavy strands.

I've also learned a lot about my hair since being natural. My back has a looser curl pattern than the sides. My back is like arm pit length and my sides range from chin to shoulder length.

Saludable84

Better Late Than Ugly
I think I am getting tired of the relaxed ends. The strange thing is I have more straight ends on the left side than on the right. I think my texlaxes must not have been that uniform.

But I'm still going to try and hold out until June

How long has it been now? I remember I tried to wait for 3 years to cut and I didn't make it :lachen:

I couldn't deal with the hair and a 2yr old. Something had to go and it wasn't the 2yr old.

divachyk

I have a consultation with a Ouidad trained stylist and a Deva Chan trained stylist. I wish I could find a stylist that's trained to do both so that s/he could make the best decision about my hair. I'll just gather the facts from both and decide from there.

I know someone that did the Ouidad and love it. Her curl pattern looked tight in person but her photos post Ouidad tell a different story. Seems like the Deva cut is preferred by those with tighter curls.

Anyone know much about these cuts?

DST1913

Im new to this thread. In February it will be 1 yr since my last relaxer. ( why did typing that make me feel like I was at an AA meeting) lol

My plan is to transition for 3 years. I don't have the heart to cut off my straight ends. Maintaining the two textures doesn't bother me at all it's been easy for me. I think what is going to be hard is that I'm anxious to see what it looks like when it's fully natural. But I know I will never do a BC. Have a hard enough time with trims. Right now it's between collar bone and armpit length

Daina

@Judgement1, I never BC'd either going all in was just never for me. I transitioned over 4 years and trimmed only 2/3 times per year. Now I lived in Colorado at the time I transitioned which made it a lot easier as there is no humidity there. It's definitely doable but will require patience and being gentle as you manipulate the 2 textures.

DST1913

@Judgement1, I never BC'd either going all in was just never for me. I transitioned over 4 years and trimmed only 2/3 times per year. Now I lived in Colorado at the time I transitioned which made it a lot easier as there is no humidity there. It's definitely doable but will require patience and being gentle as you manipulate the 2 textures.

Wow 4 yrs. That will probably be me I'm sure of it. the transition is so easy to me. Like I said the 2 textures don't bother me at all. In the summer I wore braids so I never had to deal with humidity and now I mostly wear bantu knot outs or goddess braids. I just need to get some versatility with my styles as my bf hates the knot outs because it makes my hair look short. lol but other than that I think I can do this for the long haul

GettingKinky

@Judgement1 I'm 2.5 yeas into a 3 year transition. Right now my hair is about BSL and I have around 4 inches of straight ends. I haven't had much trouble managing the 2 textures probably because I texlaxed for years before deciding to go natural. I am getting really anxious to see my hair fully natural, butI'm pretty sure I can make it until June.

Happy transitioning!

divachyk

I loved this! I hope to get this courage one day. Thanks for sharing

You will know when it's time. I envisioned transitioning by growing, cutting, growing and cutting some more. I didn't have a time period in mind. I just wanted to long term transition and not cut my hair until I had enough hair to style. I was so happy to remove the relaxed hair. Wash days are so much easier.

reallynow

I'm really considering transitioning. I've only been relaxed again for 3 years but I'm over it. My transition was so easy last time but for some reason I feel like this time around it may be more difficult. Decisions, decisions! Let me go back and read to get some inspiration. LOL

divachyk

I'm really considering transitioning. I've only been relaxed again for 3 years but I'm over it. My transition was so easy last time but for some reason I feel like this time around it may be more difficult. Decisions, decisions! Let me go back and read to get some inspiration. LOL

Why so?