Transitioning without BC'ing Support Thread

DDTexlaxed

TRANSITION OVER! 11-22-14
I have to change my transition style.:sad: I will now be doing roller sets with my mesh rollers. This will be my first time attempting wet sets during my transition. I hope it ends up OK.:ohwell: It is becoming more apparent that I will be a strait haired natural. I am not going to BC at all if I do this.:nono:

sparklebh

Oh wow! Please let me in...although, I kind of am a cheater. I am only going from bone straight relaxed to texturized hair...its still a chemical process, but I am preserving more of my curl pattern...can I be in??

It would be a lot easier for me to just BC all of those relaxed ends, I just want to do it slowly...very, very slowly.

I'm also going from bone straight to texlax hair and I can say so far so good. I have about 3inches of texlax hair and try to go at lease 12 weeks before next texlaxer or longer, I do what my hair likes and fine that I keep more hair on my head than if I follow someone else hair care plan.

Cali*Rocks

I just got my Afroveda in and....OMG!!!!! It's so good!! I got the Pur jelly, the green set and the hemp seed butter. The curly custard is my favorite along with the pur jelly. The hemp seed is really good too, but I just don't like how it smells :perplexed The oil is good as well. It smells like peppermint :yep:

blksndrlla

blksndrlla, do you still wear buns now, because that is my favorite & easiest PS. :sad: I don't think I bun tight, but do you have any suggestions so my edges don't break?

TIA

I don't bun anymore. If you don't bun tight then no problem, but that is how I bun and I don't like it any other way. Be wary of elastic headbands. That was really more of my issue. I would double up a scuncii headband and slide it back on a bun (which was generally looser...to create a pompadour effect) and that did a number on me.

SouthernDimps

I am currently 13 months into my transition and I am running out of styles/patience. I recently moved to Florida so I don't have the urge to flat iron. I've been co-washing and bunning my hair most of the time but I also do bantu knot outs on occasion. The bantu knot out often leave my hair super tangled and I am also worried about continuously wearing a ponytail to make a bun.

Has anyone successfully used roller sets 12+ months into the transition without flatironing the roots? What about curlformers?

Oh yeah, I am currently MBL with about 8 inches of new growth

sparklebh

i think i'm in! i'm 7 weeks post now. anyone going the distance without using wigs, weaves, or heat?

no wigs, weaves, or heat for me, just wet bun with my phony pony because my hair is short. I have a clip on pony that I wear and it's so cute.

KBA

I'm in...just starting my journey 5weeks but not planning to BC.

My plan is to rollerset, braidouts, wigs, cornrows to get through.

I love reading posts from those farther out than me...keep the encouragement coming!

finickyone

Cantu lshea butter leave in & mane n' tail detangler are products that I never want to be without. I didn't find out about the mane & tail until a couple of months ago, and I highly recommend it.

Smiley79

Can I join this is right down my alley

Absolutely!!! This thread is open to everyone. All are welcome. It's a support thread and not a challenge becuase it is an on going process with its share of trials along the way. So we definately all need one another to get through it!!!! :)

Smiley79

Cantu lshea butter leave in & mane n' tail detangler are products that I never want to be without. I didn't find out about the mane & tail until a couple of months ago, and I highly recommend it.

Do tell me more about the Mane & Tale please...how are you using these products?

Last edited:

shtow

Well detangling was very easy when I did my hair tonight. I DC'd with Hollywood Beauty Olive Cholesterol with heat. I just knew my hair needed a good cholesterol treatment. My hair had loads of moisture and was the easiest it has been to comb after DCing in a long time. I also used my old faithful Just for Me Detangling Spray. Tonight was a breeze!

brownbean96

Great thread - I'm in. I'm 16 Months Post and I don't plan on BC'ing. Did it the last time I went natural (after 4 months of transitioning) and while I did enjoy the journey, it's not something I would want to do again. Mostly because now I not only want natural hair, I want length. I believe the rest of my transition will be smooth sailing.

The back of my hair is already completely natural. I have straight pieces in the middle and front.
The hardest part of the transition was around months 6-9. It was so hard to find the right products to get my NG moisturized...that's until I found LHCF.
I'm still developing my regimen but here are some of the products and routines I lean heavily on:

1. Pre-pooing is a MUST for me. Currently I uses Carrot oil Deep Conditioning by Hollywood for at least an hour. Totally decreased my shedding.
2. I'm not into co-washing so I wash with Dr. Bronner's peppermint shampoo in four sections (washing in 4 sections also helped with retaining hair during washing). Once a week or every two weeks. I follow each washed section with V05 moisturizing conditioner
3. Clarify at least every two weeks
4. Oil Rinses - just started this - I do it right after I shampoo. Absolutely love it. I usually use Coconut Oil and EVOO - warmed. The best
5. Deep condition with Alter Ego (using Lucky's mom home steaming remedy). Alter Ego is the bomb. I just tried it for the 1st time and it stopped my shedding immediately! I heard people say it and it is true. It's the truth! And I can't say enough about Lucky's mom home steam treatment. Those two together...forget about it
:angel::angel:Heaven.
6. Giovanni Leave In - mostly when wearing my hair straight. Kinky Curly Knot Today Leave In and Custard if wearing curly
7. Followed by another new love - a spritz that I mixed up which consists of jojoba oil, Aloe Vera Juice, Peppermint Oil, Lavender and a bit of Olive Oil. Love this stuff. I also use it if I'm re-doing my twists.
8. Using both JBCO, Aloe Vera Gel and ORS Fertilizing Serum on my edges (on the left side of my head). My hair has thinned there quite a bit so I'm hoping for good results based on things I've read here. This is my first week so I'll keep you posted.

Uhhh, I think that's it :scratchch.
My regimen has been a work in progress but I think I'm pretty happy with the results.

ETA: I also use a protein conditioner (currently Aphogee) at least every two weeks - very important

Last edited:

growinglong777

I am transitioning without the BC. I am one year post relaxer, and the results in my siggy are a rollerset with mesh rollers, no flat ironing the roots. Working like a charm for now.

ChrsLvsBks

Response to NaturallyGoldie

Is anybody, or does anybody know of a person that is/was bsl+ and transitioned without the bc??

I never knew about transitioning or how to care for my hair when I swore off relaxers about 10 years ago. My hair was BSL when flat ironed. I would wash my hair every week or two. I would wear twists, a french roll or buns. If I was going somewhere special or wanted to wear my hair out, I would blowdry and flat iron. I would get it trimmed at the salon once every year or two. I recently cut my hair (it was growing uneven in the back). My hair is now SL in its curly state and APL when stretched.

I think the key to my hair retaining its length while going from relaxed to natural was I didn't do fuss with it often.

tressajalen

Ok I am in! No more chemicals! I was told by my dr to stop 10 years ago for the sake of my scalp. Now I feel like I can actually be successful I hope I can use roller sets and braid/twist outs but I don't know how the roller set will work later. I am only 4 weeks post so I have time to build a plan. I do not do weaves and braids. What other options do I have? Is anyone planning to straighten new growth as it grows? How are you all keeping the new growth soft and preventing breakage?

Amerie123

I'm in. I do not plan to BC. Last relaxer was June 16 2009 (which currently puts me at 18 weeks post :yay:). I'm proud of myself. For the rest of this year I plan on finishing my wig and cornrow underneath style and then right before my christmas vacation, I'm going to do my first BKT.

DDTexlaxed

TRANSITION OVER! 11-22-14
I am transitioning without the BC. I am one year post relaxer, and the results in my siggy are a rollerset with mesh rollers, no flat ironing the roots. Working like a charm for now.
Thank you so much for this. Can you recommend products and tell me how to maintain a strait style? I have a lot of research to do.:yep:

Smiley79

Are any of you taking hair vitamins that you recommend or find to be helpful during the transition? I'm interested in Biotin but I fear headaches. :(

finickyone

Do tell me more about the Mane & Tale please...how are you using these products?

The directions are as follows:
Liberally spray Mane 'n Tail Detangler onto dry or damp hair. Work formula through, making sure it covers and reaches all of the hair. DO NOT RINSE OUT. Comb out hair with a large tooth comb or brush. Results are a super slip that allows hair to respond to styling effortlessly. Style as usual.

I use the detangler after I wash & condition. Even though I have detangled in the shower with conditioner, I lightly spray each section & the comb just glides through my hair. I started using after I read a review from Tracyee, creator of K.I.S.S & she has beautiful waist length hair. She stretched for 6 months & towards the end she said this helped to get her through that stretch. There are also other threads about it. The cantu, I use this twists, braids or just about anything. While I am wearing my half wig, I keep my hair twisted & I apply the cantu to get it moisturized. I use it on wet & dry hair.

Shay72

Natural, 4A
No bcing here. I hope to transition for 2 years. Honestly if I can get my natural hair in a ponytail before then I will be good to go.

Is anybody, or does anybody know of a person that is/was bsl+ and transitioned without the bc??
Eisani. She is still transitioning. She is 23 months post.

i think i'm in! i'm 7 weeks post now. anyone going the distance without using wigs, weaves, or heat?
No wigs or weaves for me. I recently started using indirect heat (hooded dryer).

BTW, are you all finding that you should cowash more often to deal with all the new growth?
Cowashing helped during my stretches ( 4months, 6 months) and it will continue to help during this transition.

Ladies what have been your favorite leave-ins so far?
I love Giovanni Direct, Darcy's Botanicals Leave In, and Alba Botanica Leave In. They are all similar in consistency with Darcy's being the lightest. For spray leave ins I like Oyin's Juices & Berries, Hairveda's Hydrasilica Spritz, and Nunulove Handmades Juju Hair Mist.

Bulletproof

tHicK hAIr dOn't CarE
I'm in. I do not plan to BC. Last relaxer was June 16 2009 (which currently puts me at 18 weeks post :yay:). I'm proud of myself. For the rest of this year I plan on finishing my wig and cornrow underneath style and then right before my christmas vacation, I'm going to do my first BKT.

Amazing you reminded me of how many weeks I must be. I am about 20 weeks yay! Also your transition plan was the same as I was doing until I realized I will always be lazy with my hair so BKT may be a while yet. These box braids under my half wig have made life too easy.

I'm in!

I just realized that the 17th, which was yesterday makes it one year since my last relaxer. I had thought I would bc this month, but things are moving along fine, so I will just continue with this transition. Last Saturday, I roller set, then flat ironed for the first time since my transition & I was pleased how full & thick my hair is. My husband thought I was wearing a straight wig. After attending my daughter's soccer game, I looked a hot mess. It was pretty humid, so all of that hard work down the drain. I have not even had the urge to wear my hair straight, so its no telling how long it will be before I flat iron again. I am now wearing a half curly afro type wig that blends wonderfully with my transitioning hair.

Do you have photo of your wig finickyone?

Mane_Attraction

I don't want to BC im 10 months post relaxer. I keep going back n forth between going all natural or getting a texlax havent fully made up my mind yet. Wish all you ladies luck and much success.

onejamifan

I think this is the 4th transitioning thread I've posted on over the past few months, but I'm in!! I'm about 24 weeks post and so far so good. My big problem right now is finding time to do my hair. I've been straightening and going 2 weeks without doing anything, but by the middle of the second week, I start looking a HAM :nono: I might have to start doing some WnG's here and there in order to look presentable between straightening. Even though I don't plan on doing the big chop per se, I do plan on getting one major hair cut next July. I have a promise not to cut my hair until then, so my hair should be somewhere between HL and TBL. I plan on cutting to BSL in order to make the rest of the transition easier.

Good luck to all of you on this journey!!

Smiley79

I know, I hope we can really stick it out as long as possible. Also, thanks to all that gave leave-in suggestions...i think I''ll give that Mane & Tail a try once I come out of these cornrows. My dream leave-in is one that I can run my fingers through my new growth after washing and it STAYS soft even afterwards. Ultimate slip=Hair Bliss for me. I've tried air-drying to see if that was a factor, but strange as it sounds, I actually like the way my hair feels when I blow dry rather than air dry.

Last edited: