Transitioning without BC'ing Support Thread

Welp. So ladies last Saturday, I took out my crochet braids and grabbed the relaxer.........

....moved it aside took my conditioner, slathered it on and chopped off my relaxed ends:grin::grin:. SO I'M NATCHAL NOW!!!! :yay: :yay:

I can only show one picture since I'm in the HYH challenge. This was a big journey for me cos I never thought it would happen, but thanks to you beautiful ladies I completed 18 months of transition.

Attachments

• 103_0245.jpg
    103_0245.jpg
    112 KB · Views: 101
jerseygurl LOL, you scared me! Congrats on your BC!

Ladies, I'm so glad that my hair is still long enough to wear up. I think I will be wearing updos for the summer. My braidouts are looking too anemic with these thin-*** ends. :lol:

I washed and put my hair in 8 ponytails to stretch the new growth. I have about two inches now. Thanks to Newbie2Beauty, spraying my new growth with aloe vera juice helped with the detangling process.

I put two curlformers on each of my 8 ponytails and then air dried. This morning just scooped my hair up to top of my head and secured with one STRONG barette in the back and one in the front so it's not too tight on my edges. Use some Giovanni Direct Leave in and water to help smooth the edges (wrapped with a scarf for about 20 minutes).

Here are some pics!

Summer2011_Updo_Front.jpg

Summer2011_Updo_Back.jpg

@jerseygurl LOL, you scared me! Congrats on your BC!

Ladies, I'm so glad that my hair is still long enough to wear up. I think I will be wearing updos for the summer. My braidouts are looking too anemic with these thin-*** ends. :lol:

I washed and put my hair in 8 ponytails to stretch the new growth. I have about two inches now. Thanks to @Newbie2Beauty, spraying my new growth with aloe vera juice helped with the detangling process.

I put two curlformers on each of my 8 ponytails and then air dried. This morning just scooped my hair up to top of my head and secured with one STRONG barette in the back and one in the front so it's not too tight on my edges. Use some Giovanni Direct Leave in and water to help smooth the edges (wrapped with a scarf for about 20 minutes).

Here are some pics!

Summer2011_Updo_Front.jpg

Summer2011_Updo_Back.jpg

:grin:Thanks WriterGirl but I did have to move the relaxer out of the way! Nice hairstyle.

Congrats @jerseygurl! I cant wait 2 b natural! Wont happen until 2013 or when i'm SL! i am 34wks post!

You go destine2grow! By 2013 you will be definitely longer than SL if you're already 34 weeks.:yep:

Congrats Jersey Girl :). I am sooo looking at scissors lately it is insane. I am 15 months post and wanted to transition until I come back from my visit to africa in January 2012... I guess I wanted to show off my long hair before i cut it but this transition is kiiiiiiiiiiiling me. Well not the transition but the fact that I cannot do twists with my own hair or all those nice cute hairstyles i keep seeing ( finger coils, twists on natural, puffs,...)

I was going to BC for my birthday in November. I'm going to move it up to September. I'll be a year and a half post.

Hey girls. I haven't been to LHCF in a LOOONG while and I haven't ventured to this side even longer. I'm 21 weeks post and decided a few weeks ago that this was no longer a stretch. So I'm back for selfish reasons. I'm gonna need help and ideas from my LHCF family so if you don't see me you can bet I'm lurking.

Whew... it's been FOREVER since I logged in to LHCF (well really about 6 months). I got super busy w/ school and such, but now that I've matriculated out of the system I have lots of free time to research and study on my hair... I've been wigging/weaving/braiding for about a year now and so I'm just over my 1 yr anniversary (This is actually my 2nd time going natural... I was chemical free from 2002-2007 as well). I don't have any plans to BC anytime soon or ever really... I probably will once I reach a length I deem suitable to wear my natural tresses. I'm not a short hair person so learning how to stretch my length and stretching styles is first on my agenda behind establishing a good regi. I was weaving more than wigging at first so a regi was hard to maintain but now that I've grown comfortable w/ wigs hopefully I can dedicate more time to my hair.

*whew* I'll start a fotoki and update my pic sometime soon...

Hi, May I join you all?

I am new to LHCF, but have been following this thread for a lil while.

Well, I am about 9 months post and I plan to transition until... I can't take the madeness anymore. :spinning: We'll see...

I did it. :yay: It was inevitable. I got my hair cut about 4 weeks ago and it was quite a drastic cut, but I still had relaxed ends when she was done. I'm getting my hair braided on Thursday and made the determination that if I got an appointment this week I would go ahead and finish the job and I did. :clapping: I've been transitioning with a slight set back since 2009! I continued to get it cut in "straight hair" styles so whatever length I might have gained I continuously chopped off. . . so why do a long transition if I didn't even want the length I was "holding on" to??:nono:

I appreciate you LHCF-divas for the continued support you all have given, without me ever speaking up and actually asking a question. I wish the rest of you the best on your HHJ as you transition, but I'm moving on over to the All Natural board :)

I flat ironed my hair last night and it's a lil below APL. But my ends do look raggedy. I'm gonna have to do a slight trim. At this rate my tranisition may be over quicker than it begain. Oh well...

My DH actually wants me to BC. He's really feeling the natural-ness. His main point is that I shouldn't be afraid to BC just because I think it won't look right. But, in that conversation I did finally conclude that I just don't want short hair right now. I'm not in short hair mode. The last time I transitioned I was somewhere around BSL and MBL. In three trims I was SL--relaxed! This was not of my choosing, so it took another 3 years to grow it back out. I'm just not sure I'm ready for three years of shortness--and with shrinkage, could we be talking 5 or more? Eh, we'll see. Of course, I can always rollerset for a straight look once the hair grows out in a year or two, but nahhh...not ready!

I cut a lot off Sunday.. I still have some relaxed ends left its like I keep seeing them each time I style my hair or wash my hair so after I finish cutting this off I will be 100% nautral after 18 months and 1 week..

My DH actually wants me to BC. He's really feeling the natural-ness. His main point is that I shouldn't be afraid to BC just because I think it won't look right. But, in that conversation I did finally conclude that I just don't want short hair right now. I'm not in short hair mode. The last time I transitioned I was somewhere around BSL and MBL. In three trims I was SL--relaxed! This was not of my choosing, so it took another 3 years to grow it back out. I'm just not sure I'm ready for three years of shortness--and with shrinkage, could we be talking 5 or more? Eh, we'll see. Of course, I can always rollerset for a straight look once the hair grows out in a year or two, but nahhh...not ready!

It's like you're in my head...:spinning:

I BC'ed last week. I haven't been in the forum for MONTHS, but I just wanted to let you ladies know what I did. I will upload the pictures sometime this week. I was transitioning for two years, but my hair was breaking off tremendously from a color job I did in 2010. I started hacking away at the color in April 2011, and decided to just do away with all of it last week. No use of holding on to straight pieces, they weren't doing me any good....

I can't do it. I'm getting ssk's on my natural hair. How?! I only have abt three inches of it nearer to my scalp and abt five inches of texlaxed/relaxed hair. How did it knot way up there?! It's been very low manipulation for days. Back to texlaxing

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

HI ladies just popped my head in here to see how y'all are doing. So it's been almost 2 weeks since my BC and I tell ya I'm still getting used to it. The shrinkage is outta this world and it's so dry. I had to do a hot oil treatment and DC for about 6 hours before it started feeling moisturized.

Keep going ladies, it will be worth it in the end I promise. HHJ

My hair is so thick! I have about half new growth, half relaxed so I'm halfway there. My hair is SL and I plan to straighten in December so hopefully by then I'll be full SL pushing APL.

Hello ladies! I've finally decided to make the transition WITHOUT the BC. I just can't do it...just yet. I've never had short hair ever, I've always been associated by my hair, it would not only shock me but everyone else that knows me.
I'm currently mid back length and 20wks post, and things are ok.
I got my first dominican blow out, and I loved it. I'm gonna use those to help with the transition along with braid outs. I've come to the conclusion that my braid outs will look even better with my narutal hair. Right now they start off lovely in the morning and by the end of the day the ends are just flat. I still get compliments but it's not the look I'm looking for, I want curls.
I imagine just from what I've read so far that I'm gonna have to cut eventually, but I'd like to at least cut and be at shoulder length, that's a looong time from now.

This thread is pages long I'm currently on 23 of 67 LOL! so I'm going back to reading and taking notes on how to get thru this journey.

I'll be in touch!

kupenda I'm sorry to hear that you are finding SSKs. I'd like to encourage you to find what works for you and not give up yet. But if it is what you want to do I wish you well and continued HHG.

Last edited:
I'm still going strong, but was wondering if anyone else is using octopus clips during their transition? I had been bunning faithfully and using hairsticks, but sometimes would see strands on the hair-sticks when I slid them out of my hair. I will not use elastics (only use cut-up pantyhose), since my hair is often wet or damp from frequent CW'S.

So far, the clips have been working as a good way to keep my ends protected, and I just wondered if anyone else was using them.

I need some more transitioning hairstyles. I'm doing a pony now, I'd like to switch it up. I think my last set of braids thinned my edges so I don't want to do that :sad:. Twist/bantu knot outs don't hold that great on my hair now. I might look up some buns on YouTube. Not sock buns though, I already did those for a while.

Back