Wash And Go, To Grow And To Dazzle 2020 Challenge

Britt

@LavenderMint yes, she said it’s a product she’s trying to make. But she knew I didn’t like it. She said I’d redo it again lol. She asked me what’s the consistency of UFD and said maybe the gel she made is better for a different texture. I was explaining to her my hair needs a heavy gel that’s almost gonna spackle to smooth and weigh the hair down some. I feel that’s what ICH does, it’s that extra weight that smoothes the hair after the UFD is applied.

bubbles12345

Have y'all see myhaircandothat on YouTube? She's more of a student of LouLou. She does more daily water refreshing and air drying for her wash and gos. I will probably try this method for awhile as Faith suggested. Her hair is tightly coiled like mine so she gives me hope. I think my hair is too dehydrated for the A's method of heat drying and water only 1x-2x week and they won't address dry type 4 hair. @faithVA, is her method similar to do you did for the first 6 months?

Her 6 month of wash and go review:
Her results seem great to me despite going against the A's rules of diffuser/hood dryer heat only and not refreshing daily.

faithVA

Have y'all see myhaircandothat on YouTube? She's more of a student of LouLou. She does more daily water refreshing and air drying for her wash and gos. I will probably try this method for awhile as Faith suggested. Her hair is tightly coiled like mine so she gives me hope. I think my hair is too dehydrated for the A's method of heat drying and water only 1x-2x week and they won't address dry type 4 hair. @faithVA, is her method similar to do you did for the first 6 months?

Her results seem great to me despite going against the A's rules of diffuser/hood dryer heat only and not refreshing daily.

OK. I watched the first 4 minutes. I'm way too impatient for all of that repeating. I love and hate yt at the same time.

There are some similarities but I say keep it simple. To me she did too much too long.

I agree with the every other day and see how that works for you. If that works good. If not you may have to do every day, but try every other day first. You will know based on how your hair is in the morning.

If you do every other day keep it simple. Either just rinse and gel or apply conditioner and gel. Do complete CCS once a week.

Since you are doing it every other day, the focus is getting the hair hydrated and not trying to get it to last for 3+ days.

As far as drying, I say let it air dry if you can for several hours. And then if you diffuse or use the dryer try drying it as much as possible on cool. And then dry it for a short time on low-heat if needed.

Keep it simple. If you keep it simple, you can do this every other day for 5 to 10 minutes and not take a lot of time. And you should start to see the difference in the first month and maybe be finished with hydrating in 6 weeks.

What the A's do recommend is learning to listen to your hair. You have to listen to your hair and do what is necessary even if other's have had great results doing something else.

GettingKinky

Ok. I tried the ecoslay jello shot today. This gel is extremely thick.

I applied to my soaking wet hair in four sections (ends, then mid shaft, then roots) Then I divided each section into 3-4 sections to make sure I got the interior well. I smoothed and raked thoroughly.

y hair has a strong cast, but I feel like my hair isn’t holding enough water.

Either I didn’t use enough gel or maybe I needed to clarify (it’s been about a month), or maybe it needs UFD underneath. It’s not love at first attempt, but I will try again next week.

0C2D6AFA-9ABF-45ED-AE31-5407F0661A41.jpeg

faithVA

Ok. I tried the ecoslay jello shot today. This gel is extremely thick.

I applied to my soaking wet hair in four sections (ends, then mid shaft, then roots) Then I divided each section into 3-4 sections to make sure I got the interior well. I smoothed and raked thoroughly.

y hair has a strong cast, but I feel like my hair isn’t holding enough water.

Either I didn’t use enough gel or maybe I needed to clarify (it’s been about a month), or maybe it needs UFD underneath. It’s not love at first attempt, but I will try again next week.

View attachment 468965
Maybe it needed more water after the gel.

faithVA

Of course I waited until late afternoon to start my hair. Why do I torture myself :lol:

I kept it simple today. I rinsed, conditioned and applied UFD. I think I applied less than usual, added a round of water and then 2 to 3 more pumps. I used less Aunt Jackie's as well. I blow dried on high cool to knock off some of the water so it can start to air dry for bed.

With less gel I have more movement but I can tell it won't last as long. When I use less gel, I can tell my hair dries out at the ends because it turns red versus a darker brown when it holds water. :ohwell: When I use more gel, it last longer but has less movement and elongation.

It's cold here and I will be wearing a slap cap so it doesn't really matter. She got some water and that is good for today.

GettingKinky

Of course I waited until late afternoon to start my hair. Why do I torture myself :lol:

I kept it simple today. I rinsed, conditioned and applied UFD. I think I applied less than usual, added a round of water and then 2 to 3 more pumps. I used less Aunt Jackie's as well. I blow dried on high cool to knock off some of the water so it can start to air dry for bed.

With less gel I have more movement but I can tell it won't last as long. When I use less gel, I can tell my hair dries out at the ends because it turns red versus a darker brown when it holds water. :ohwell: When I use more gel, it last longer but has less movement and elongation.

It's cold here and I will be wearing a slap cap so it doesn't really matter. She got some water and that is good for today.
Wash n gos are all about trade offs. I think I would be better off if I accepted that I can’t have everything I want and just be happy with what I’ve achieved.

LavenderMint

Wash n gos are all about trade offs. I think I would be better off if I accepted that I can’t have everything I want and just be happy with what I’ve achieved.
This. So so so much this. More so than finding a product combo or techniques that work, a change in my attitude towards my hair has been the most beneficial thing in my wng journey. Definitely the healthiest.

Sometimes being happy with what we’ve achieved so far is good; we can still continue to strive further.

faithVA

I’m pulling a @faithVA and waiting forever to wash my hair. Just now waking up. Need to have breakfast, ride my peloton and eat some lunch. Then I’ll wash my hair.

Still using and loving the pop lock glaze. My earthtones gel should be here in time for my Wednesday wash.
It's still too early to say you are following in my shoes. But if it hits 4 pm and you haven't done your hair and then you let it air dry for a few hours and only dry it by the end of the day, then you can join my club :lol: :yep:

toaster

It's still too early to say you are following in my shoes. But if it hits 4 pm and you haven't done your hair and then you let it air dry for a few hours and only dry it by the end of the day, then you can join my club :lol: :yep:
:lachen::lachen:

You know I refuse to air dry! But it might be 4pm before I get in the shower. I have to make some queso for the super bowl first.

GettingKinky

I’m pulling a @faithVA and waiting forever to wash my hair. Just now waking up. Need to have breakfast, ride my peloton and eat some lunch. Then I’ll wash my hair.

Still using and loving the pop lock glaze. My earthtones gel should be here in time for my Wednesday wash.

I think for now I’m putting pop lock on hold. I want to try and stick to botanical gels. And every new gel has its own learning curve. For now jello shot and Earthtones max are the only ones I want to try.

Bette Davis Eyes

The "OG" Product Junkie
I’m supposed to be doing my hair but it’s not happening. Got off work at 3. Drove home in the wonderful new snow and now I’m catching up on LHCF.

I feel like mixing up some henna and steaming it in. Not sure if that is what is going to happen.

I can’t wait until spring.

HappyAtLast

Simplicity & Peacefulness
I might have found a winning combo.

I used Cantu Coconut Curling Cream first, then smoothed on Wetline Extreme. I do the smooth and shake method.

Picture 1 - 2/5 around 7:30 am after applying both products and shaking.
Picture 2 - 4:30 pm same day after airdrying all day and working out at lunch time. It felt moisturized with a moveable cast, and it has shine/sheen.
Picture 3 - Today, 2/7 This is where I'm really impressed. My hair still feels moisturized and intact, and this is after working out twice 2/5 & 2/7. This pic was taken about 1 hour after I took a shower without my shower cap (my ultimate humidity test). My hair barely looks different than day 1 after all of that!

Coconut curling cream.jpg

toaster

I think for now I’m putting pop lock on hold. I want to try and stick to botanical gels. And every new gel has its own learning curve. For now jello shot and Earthtones max are the only ones I want to try.
I think earthtones max will be the last styler I try for a while. I already hate stylers in jars because it’s difficult to apply in the shower and make sure you don’t get water in the jar and contaminate the product.

Kinky curly combo and pop lock on its own give me great wash and go’s for 4/5 days, which is really all I’m asking for.

I’m going to try earthtones and then sit down for a while on products.

toaster

Two thoughts:

I got 7 uses out of the pop lock bottle. That’s not bad considering it’s fairly inexpensive.

My hair is starting to dry with my ends stick out because they are hitting my shoulders and aren’t long enough to dry downwards behind my shoulders. I’ll take looking like Lord Farquaad for a while if it means my hair is growing.

sunshinebeautiful

Two thoughts:

I got 7 uses out of the pop lock bottle. That’s not bad considering it’s fairly inexpensive.

My hair is starting to dry with my ends stick out because they are hitting my shoulders and aren’t long enough to dry downwards behind my shoulders. I’ll take looking like Lord Farquaad for a while if it means my hair is growing.

Not Lord Farquaad! :lol:

faithVA

I might have found a winning combo.

I used Cantu Coconut Curling Cream first, then smoothed on Wetline Extreme. I do the smooth and shake method.

Picture 1 - 2/5 around 7:30 am after applying both products and shaking.
Picture 2 - 4:30 pm same day after airdrying all day and working out at lunch time. It felt moisturized with a moveable cast, and it has shine/sheen.
Picture 3 - Today, 2/7 This is where I'm really impressed. My hair still feels moisturized and intact, and this is after working out twice 2/5 & 2/7. This pic was taken about 1 hour after I took a shower without my shower cap (my ultimate humidity test). My hair barely looks different than day 1 after all of that!

View attachment 469005
Really cute curls. Glad you found a winning combination.

Britt

Yeppp! That's one thing I've realized about this wash n go life. I don't fluff my wash n go's b/c I want to minimize frizz and maximize longevity. So the first few days look a little stiff and flat like. Idc, I'm home. If I over stretch it, I won't be able to get 5-7 days out of it.

naturalagain2

Yes, I follow her on IG and Youtube. She was the first person I've seen that has hair exactly like mine. I've been tempted to try the daily water thing but I don't like airdrying my hair because it acts & looks better going under the dryer. I just lightly spritz with water to wake my hair up in the morning and put a tiny drop of light oil on my hands to wake up and shape my hair.
A lot of curly stylist are against airdrying, some of their reasons are: it results in dryer frizzy hair. Another curly stylist on IG stated that airdrying causes the cuticle of the hair to stay open which can compromise the hair over time. I don't know which to believe because Loulou's clients hair seem to thrive under her method. I will say myhaircandothat hair only seems to look good though through daily watering. When she tried to use a dryer and followed 7 days of no watering her hair didn't move or look as good.