Wash And Go, To Grow And To Dazzle 2020 Challenge

GettingKinky

My hair does so well when I clairify. I’m on day 6 today and my hair is still so well defined. And my niece could t stop playing with and scrunching my curls all during the thanksgiving weekend.

I also think there is something about the air on a plane. Whenever I fly the same day I do my hair it seems to turn out really well.

DVAntDany

My hair does so well when I clairify. I’m on day 6 today and my hair is still so well defined. And my niece could t stop playing with and scrunching my curls all during the thanksgiving weekend.

I also think there is something about the air on a plane. Whenever I fly the same day I do my hair it seems to turn out really well.
I totally agree about hair behaving so well on clarified hair.

It could also be the altitude. It still affects the air. I know my hair (among many other things) responded way different at a mile high above sea level in Denver than it does anywhere in Alabama or just down south.

DVAntDany

Do you all have any plans for the new year? I mean it’s right around the corner. For me, I want to try the Mizani AirCut and maybe even some color.

Y’all already know I’m not the happiest with my current hair cut. It’s like going through the awkward stage of growing out locs except I’m paying someone to do it to me. It can look awesome from the profile and the back. In the front, where it counts the most, it is just lacking. I love the look of my curls. So that is not the issue.

I need a shape that looks good no matter what I put on it. I struggle even wearing an undefined afro. I’m tempted to give up some length just so it can look like my hair is stylish.

AlsoIn my pursuit for SHINY, defined, soft and voluminous hair, I’m having a hard time achieving shine (not sheen) and softness at the same time. I’m almost considering working with a cosmetic chemist to create a custom product for myself. I hear it doesn’t cost too too much.

Now this isn’t even anything necessary. It’s just something I personally want but don’t need. The haircut is definitely a need though.

FYI: Mizani True Textures Twist and Coil Jelly is really close. It has a very flexible cast that is bouncy and has lots of shine. I’m thinking about thinly glazing it over Curls Blueberry Bliss Jelly. I have yet to find a super thin gel that has very little hold but lots of shine. All those touchable soft hold gels turn out to only be crispy and light weight on my texture.

faithVA

Do you all have any plans for the new year? I mean it’s right around the corner. For me, I want to try the Mizani AirCut and maybe even some color.

Y’all already know I’m not the happiest with my current hair cut. It’s like going through the awkward stage of growing out locs except I’m paying someone to do it to me. It can look awesome from the profile and the back. In the front, where it counts the most, it is just lacking. I love the look of my curls. So that is not the issue.

I need a shape that looks good no matter what I put on it. I struggle even wearing an undefined afro. I’m tempted to give up some length just so it can look like my hair is stylish.

AlsoIn my pursuit for SHINY, defined, soft and voluminous hair, I’m having a hard time achieving shine (not sheen) and softness at the same time. I’m almost considering working with a cosmetic chemist to create a custom product for myself. I hear it doesn’t cost too too much.

Now this isn’t even anything necessary. It’s just something I personally want but don’t need. The haircut is definitely a need though.

FYI: Mizani True Textures Twist and Coil Jelly is really close. It has a very flexible cast that is bouncy and has lots of shine. I’m thinking about thinly glazing it over Curls Blueberry Bliss Jelly. I have yet to find a super thin gel that has very little hold but lots of shine. All those touchable soft hold gels turn out to only be crispy and light weight on my texture.
I'm still debating on whether I am going to the stylist in January or whether I am going to go in February. And I'm leaning towards just getting my ends clipped and not getting a shape.

I'm like you, I need a shape but I'm not sure I want to forgo the length right now. I'm thinking if I can just hold out until the Spring I will end up with a shape I like and that is more versatile. That may be just wishful thinking. But because I don't have a shape, I'm not doing wash and goes. I don't feel like spending an hour or so getting it to look right, then I sleep on it and its a fro and then it just looks crazier day by day :nono:

Not trying any new products until I can get at least 4 days out my current wash and go with what I have. And its too cold for me to be doing a lot of playing around in my head.

I will just hangout and watch you ladies try stuff :yep: And in the Spring I will try some Trepadora stuff. Maybe it will be fully in stock by then.

oneastrocurlie

I bought a blow dry brush and plan to maybe do more blow out styles next year. Getting a teeny bit bored of just a wash and go as a style. I bought a bunch more headwraps and headbands to wear too. I'd love some color but I'm so wishy washy. I'll love it the first 6 months and then will dye it back to all black. My stylist charging two arms and half a leg for it is a good deterrent.

GettingKinky

I’ve never heard of the Mizani AirCut. I’ll have to Google it.

I though you got the results you wanted with the blueberry bliss products from curls? Are they it giving you shine?

Is your surface texture coarse? If so it may be really hard to get shiny hair. I used to want shiny hair, but over time my preferences changes and I’m happy with my level of sheen.

My plan for next year is to keep getting trims every 16 weeks and keep growing out my hair.

If my stash of UFD starts running low I’m planning to try Orange Marmalade.

If my Elucence moisture shampoo runs low I’m planning to try Bekura shampoo.

Other than that I plan to stay the course

Last edited:

DVAntDany

@faithVA and @toaster I might try to get a "trim" too with my current stylist in January. I haven't found anyone with an Aircut certification yet. I already know she is going to nip away at the length in the back and sides.

@oneastrocurlie I'll join you in changing up my style when I finally figure this thing all out. I'm not sure how my hair current cut translates to straight hair. It looks oddly shaped when wet.
If I color my hair, I want Leysa Carrillo forever curl technique since it grows out nicely. The prices are scary out there and I don't want to need touchups too often. If I wore my hair straight for at least 50% of the time, I'd love for Rachel Redd to color my hair.

@GettingKinky My stylist told me I had a silky surface texture, but my mom scoffed when I told her the stylist stated that. I wouldn't call my hair silky per se. If I were to stretch out a curl in a taught manner, it will look and feel shiny and silky. Most of my hair has a slick texture if I run my fingers down the shaft. The small sections that feel spongy/cottony are dependent on how clean and clarified my hair is. There is a very small portion in the back of my head that is the traditional idea of silky but will rarely if ever be seen. Otherwise, I wouldn't say my hair is silky.

If I do the BGC method in technique and products, I will get shiny hair with great definition. Surprisingly, there are quite a few products that give my hair shine. Those products are just too heavy for the hair above my ears and up. Plus I don't like how firm they feel. Curls Blueberry Bliss leave-in + jelly gives a healthy looking satin charmeuse like sheen. I want the lame fabric shine that I know my hair is capable of, but with softness. I'm just being persnickety.

DVAntDany

I’ve never heard of the Mizani AirCut. I’ll have to Google it.

I though you got the results you wanted with the blueberry bliss products from curls? Are they it giving you shine?

Is your surface texture coarse? If so it may be really hard to get shiny hair. I used to want shiny hair, but over time my preferences changes and I’m happy with my level of sheen.

My plan for next year is to keep getting trims every 16 weeks and keep growing out my hair.

If my stash of UFD starts running low I’m planning to try Orange Marmalade.

If my Elucence moisture shampoo runs low I’m planning to try Bekura shampoo.

Other than that I plan to stay the course
I cant wait to see what you think of the Orange Marmalade. Also, how on earth did you get ahold of anything Bekura? They seem like they are always out of stock.

DVAntDany

I bought a blow dry brush and plan to maybe do more blow out styles next year. Getting a teeny bit bored of just a wash and go as a style. I bought a bunch more headwraps and headbands to wear too. I'd love some color but I'm so wishy washy. I'll love it the first 6 months and then will dye it back to all black. My stylist charging two arms and half a leg for it is a good deterrent.
What type of headbands do you get? I tried one of my mom's the other day and it really changed up my look. Im cautious about using headbands because in the past my hair in the front has been very fragile. Thats also why I don't really bother with slicking my edges.

Napp

Ms. Nobody

I am planning on wearing wigs and wraps until May/June and then getting a shaping cut. I want to retain length so its a bit longer before I cut my hair so I'm in a super protective style mode. I plan on getting my hair professionally braided every 2 months under the wigs/wraps too to make sure I have a stable foundation. I noticed breakage from me braiding my own hair.

Napp

Ms. Nobody
The longer my hair gets the more weighed down the “s” shaped strands look.

I appreciate all hair types, but I preferred my tighter waves/curls.

I wonder what my hair will look this this time next year.

Maybe its also the way you're styling your hair? I notice when I rake and smooth I get S shaped curls and when I use a Denman brush or shingle I get more defined curls

faithVA

The longer my hair gets the more weighed down the “s” shaped strands look.

I appreciate all hair types, but I preferred my tighter waves/curls.

I wonder what my hair will look this this time next year.
Have you tried the Deva Curl idea of taking a non-absorbent tile and sort of scrunchie the curls up? Don't know how to describe it but I can find an article on it if you want.

faithVA

The local stylist sent out an email about when her schedule opens up for January. Her new girlfriend experience service went from 2 hours to 3 hours. I don't have a problem with that or the price. But I sent her an email to ask her if she realistically every has a 3 hour window in her schedule. And if she doesn't have one for January can I just get a hydrate and define. I don't want all of that other stuff anyway.

We shall see what she says.

GettingKinky

The local stylist sent out an email about when her schedule opens up for January. Her new girlfriend experience service went from 2 hours to 3 hours. I don't have a problem with that or the price. But I sent her an email to ask her if she realistically every has a 3 hour window in her schedule. And if she doesn't have one for January can I just get a hydrate and define. I don't want all of that other stuff anyway.

We shall see what she says.
What’s a girlfriend experience?

Nightingale

On the Grow and Keeping it Simple

I'm focusing on my weight loss next year, so the plan is to keep it super simple with my hair. Trims as needed, letting it grow, and being consistent with my regimen. That's it.

I like my WnG, but my nape gets super tangly, especially when I sweat. That is not good when I plan to be working out 5-6 days a week and want to retain length. So the plan is to protective style during weekdays and WnG on the weekends. The "protective styles" will be bunned jumbo twists (no more than 10 twists on my entire head) or two pig tailed braids.

GettingKinky

I normally wash my hair on Saturday, but I have a massage scheduled for Saturday afternoon and if I wash my hair before my massage I’m sure it will get messed up when I’m laying on my back. Maybe I’ll just wash and bun this week