Wash And Go, To Grow And To Dazzle 2020 Challenge

ckisland

I watched this video before washing my hair, and I found her technique very helpful!!

I made sure that my hair was super saturated during the washing process. So I cowashed with No More Suds, and conditioned with Soften Me Up. I finger detangled since I'm only using my brush every other wash. I squeezed the water out of my hair because Miss Jessie products specifically say to use on damp, not wet, hair. I smoothed on Leave-in Condish and Coily Custard in 2 sections instead of my usual 4. I made sure I used a handful for each side. Then I diffused actually using the diffuser attachment of my blowdryer, and I used warm heat instead of hot.

My hair is buttery soft and has so much movement, and I love how it looks! From washing to styling took 22 mins!!

20230122_145604.jpg20230122_145553.jpg

ckisland

I'm so glad that Fo Adunni posted videos discussing the hair tangling with botanical gels. I only get that with UFD. Without the toppers, I'd rarely use it as a single styler. For me, the toppers help give it more slip. I've used UFD on top of leave-ins and it has perfect slip. So the problem comes from using the product directly on top of my naked hair. Its sort of like how KKCC can feel (not sound) squeaky and resistant if the hair isn't wet enough.

I rarely have the knots that she gets, but it has happened before. This is one of the countless reasons why I don't use it for a midweek rewash. Luckily the wash and go can last for many days.

What helps is keeping the bathroom warm and steamy. Also, rewetting my hands with warm/hot water helps them slide through to rake. I don't dip my head back under water because my hair will get very heavy and flat. It also increases the dry time.

I use to do it the same way she describes as a solution in this video. My hair was way too flat and limp when I did it this way. This is also what brought out my inner product junky. I was trying to find a product that didn't weigh my hair down so much.
Thank you for posting these videos!! I don't use a botanical gel, but I've had the most success using custards. Watching her go through her hair in the first video made me realize (again) how kinky the texture of my hair is. I get so much more webbing than that, but I'm not as gentle with my hair :laugh: . That's why I moved from raking to purely smoothing, so that I would stop breaking off my hair.

I'm curious to see if I can mix my Coily Custard with an Eco Style Gel or Wetline on top to get a smoother result since they weigh my hair down more (from what I recall) :scratchchin: .

DVAntDany

I watched this video before washing my hair, and I found her technique very helpful!!

I made sure that my hair was super saturated during the washing process. So I cowashed with No More Suds, and conditioned with Soften Me Up. I finger detangled since I'm only using my brush every other wash. I squeezed the water out of my hair because Miss Jessie products specifically say to use on damp, not wet, hair. I smoothed on Leave-in Condish and Coily Custard in 2 sections instead of my usual 4. I made sure I used a handful for each side. Then I diffused actually using the diffuser attachment of my blowdryer, and I used warm heat instead of hot.

My hair is buttery soft and has so much movement, and I love how it looks! From washing to styling took 22 mins!!

View attachment 486523View attachment 486525
May I ask why you use conditioner after cowashing?

DVAntDany

Thank you for posting these videos!! I don't use a botanical gel, but I've had the most success using custards. Watching her go through her hair in the first video made me realize (again) how kinky the texture of my hair is. I get so much more webbing than that, but I'm not as gentle with my hair :laugh: . That's why I moved from raking to purely smoothing, so that I would stop breaking off my hair.

I'm curious to see if I can mix my Coily Custard with an Eco Style Gel or Wetline on top to get a smoother result since they weigh my hair down more (from what I recall) :scratchchin: .
I’m just glad to know that I’m not the only one with webbing and tangles. Well, your smoothing comes out way better than mine.

Earlier today, I was just thinking about what I’d use if I had known what I know now. I was thinking of curl activator gel as a base gel and the pink or krystal eco as a topper. I’m pretty sure I’d get comparable results.

I say go for it. Curly Custard feels exactly like curl activator gel. However, I’m not sure how it will wash out with a co-wash.

ckisland

I’m just glad to know that I’m not the only one with webbing and tangles. Well, your smoothing comes out way better than mine.

Earlier today, I was just thinking about what I’d use if I had known what I know now. I was thinking of curl activator gel as a base gel and the pink or krystal eco as a topper. I’m pretty sure I’d get comparable results.

I say go for it. Curly Custard feels exactly like curl activator gel. However, I’m not sure how it will wash out with a co-wash.
You are definitely not alone LOL!!! My hair webs together but luckily not at the ends.

I'm thinking the same thing about it not washing out well with cowash. I might save that combo for my last wash n'go before my reset day when I shampoo.

DVAntDany

I like that I get good day 1/2 hair and I like how KCKT makes my hair so easy to rake. But the hold just doesn’t last long enough for me.
I mainly asked because I have a bottle of KCKT that's been staring at me from months. It took just as long to dry as UFD. So I've been hesitant of using it, but I'm ready to use some stuff up. Umm, not long lasting doesn't sound so great paired with the long dry time. That's another one I'll have to play around with on the weekend.

DVAntDany

1. I finally tested out the Miss Jessie's Curly Meringue thanks to @Bette Davis Eyes. Its just the front section of my hair. It has nice definition, feels lightweight and doesn't dry white. I didn't see much shine though. I listened to a video by Abena discussing how creams don't provide as much shine as gels due to the nature of the products. I'm going to throw in the towel on trying anymore new creams and lotions for the moment. I'll use up what I got.

2. I joined BGC free 30 day detox. I came in on a live a couple weeks ago where Aishia stated Mya from the Doux did not create Mousse Def to be use regularly such as weekly. However, I listened to Mya on her Sucka Free Sunday live yesterday. A person I know who was on See Some Curls (I'm not a member right now) asked if Mousse Def could be used each week. Mya emphatically stated the whole history of why she created it. She says it is a product that can be used on the regular. In fact, she said the hair can be shampooed daily and use the mousse daily. Before that question was answered, BGC (i'm assuming Aishia) commented that the people wanted them to go on live together. I don't know what would have happened if they were together answering that question. I really wish Aishia didn't state her opinions as if they were die hard facts. Nothing is wrong with her having a professional opinion, but make it clear that it is just her opinion based on her expertise. I think this is why Aeleise handles the professional side and Aishia handles the consumer side. You can't just talk out the side of your neck to people who eat, sleep and breathe this profession. Editing to say Aishia was well behaved and quite informative when I watched and read her comments on SSC. I think she likes riling up people for IG. It irks my ever-loving nerves.

3. I listened to Aeleise say that she is going to refrain from bleaching and doing dramatic cuts to prove that hair can grow long with strictly doing wash n goes. I think this will be perfect their brand. Besides not having enough hair real estate, I personally think BGC have been pushing the bobs to keep up with the trends. In the past year or so, I've seen many relaxed and straight hair naturals sporting bobs and even some 90 short hair styles. I think Aishia called it the Anita Berry saying both Anita Baker and Halle Berry had the same short hair cut. We are a select few who want long hair down to our butt and beyond. Fairy-tale length hair is not on trend no matter how many people may admire it.

4. I also listened to Aeleise go over her trying out Curl Mix's new line of gels. She said she always tests out a single gel as a one product wash n go. She said that the first day doesn't count. She has to see how it works long term before she adds anything else to it or gives her opinion on it. I need to start looking at products I like that don't last long and see where I can improve their wear. Not being an experimenter of layering may be my current downfall.

5. Curl Mix disappointed me. Both my dad and I contributed to investing in stock with their company. I'm hoping they will one day reach their dream of being the black P&G. I'm upset that they email him and not me with all of their great deals and stuff. I only get the basic ad ish. He was sent an email stating 40% off their old line of products. This is not the first time they have done this either. I've actually bought from them and this is how they treat me. They obviously don't want my business. I get more emails on 4C Only products (a company under CurlMix) and I've never bought from them once.

Last edited:

Evolving78

1. I finally tested out the Miss Jessie's Curly Meringue thanks to @Bette Davis Eyes. Its just the front section of my hair. It has nice definition, feels lightweight and doesn't dry white. I didn't see much shine though. I listened to a video by Abena discussing how creams don't provide as much shine as gels due to the nature of the products. I'm going to throw in the towel on trying anymore new creams and lotions for the moment. I'll use up what I got.

2. I joined BGC free 30 day detox. I came in on a live a couple weeks ago where Aishia stated Mya from the Doux did not create Mousse Def to be use regularly such as weekly. However, I listened to Mya on her Sucka Free Sunday live yesterday. A person I know who was on See Some Curls (I'm not a member right now) asked if Mousse Def could be used each week. Mya emphatically stated the whole history of why she created it. She says it is a product that can be used on the regular. In fact, she said the hair can be shampooed daily and use the mousse daily. Before that question was answered, BGC (i'm assuming Aishia) commented that the people wanted them to go on live together. I don't know what would have happened if they were together answering that question. I really wish Aishia didn't state her opinions as if they were die hard facts. Nothing is wrong with her having a professional opinion, but make it clear that it is just her opinion based on her expertise. I think this is why Aeleise handles the professional side and Aishia handles the consumer side. You can't just talk out the side of your neck to people who eat, sleep and breathe this profession. Editing to say Aishia was well behaved and quite informative when I watched and read her comments on SSC. I think she likes riling up people for IG. It irks my ever-loving nerves.

3. I listened to Aeleise say that she is going to refrain from bleaching and doing dramatic cuts to prove that hair can grow long with strictly doing wash n goes. I think this will be perfect their brand. Besides not having enough hair real estate, I personally think BGC have been pushing the bobs to keep up with the trends. In the past year or so, I've seen many relaxed and straight hair naturals sporting bobs and even some 90 short hair styles. I think Aishia called it the Anita Berry saying both Anita Baker and Halle Berry had the same short hair cut. We are a select few who want long hair down to our butt and beyond. Fairy-tale length hair is not on trend no matter how many people may admire it.

4. I also listened to Aeleise go over her trying out Curl Mix's new line of gels. She said she always tests out a single gel as a one product wash n go. She said that the first day doesn't count. She has to see how it works long term before she adds anything else to it or gives her opinion on it. I need to start looking at products I like that don't last long and see where I can improve their wear. Not being an experimenter of layering may be my current downfall.

5. Curl Mix disappointed me. Both my dad and I contributed to investing in stock with their company. I'm hoping they will one day reach their dream of being the black P&G. I'm upset that they email him and not me with all of their great deals and stuff. I only get the basic ad ish. He was sent an email stating 40% off their old line of products. This is not the first time they have done this either. I've actually bought from them and this is how they treat me. They obviously don't want my business. I get more emails on 4C Only products (a company under CurlMix) and I've never bought from them once.
Those bobs are ok. I don’t think it was a trend, it was just a way to get you back in the chair and charge you money.

oneastrocurlie

Saying a mousse wasn't designed to be used weekly doesn't even sound right lol. She wasn't doing the doux any favors with that one. Maya was probably like "Now wait a minute, you're telling people to use my products less often? No ma'am".

I loathe those hard edged trapezoid cuts they do. It's funny because they are bobs but I didn't see them as bobs, just unflattering curly cuts.

Bette Davis Eyes

The "OG" Product Junkie
Saying a mousse wasn't designed to be used weekly doesn't even sound right lol. She wasn't doing the doux any favors with that one. Maya was probably like "Now wait a minute, you're telling people to use my products less often? No ma'am".

I loathe those hard edged trapezoid cuts they do. It's funny because they are bobs but I didn't see them as bobs, just unflattering curly cuts.
Me too. Ugh. They look so unflattering.

GettingKinky

I mainly asked because I have a bottle of KCKT that's been staring at me from months. It took just as long to dry as UFD. So I've been hesitant of using it, but I'm ready to use some stuff up. Umm, not long lasting doesn't sound so great paired with the long dry time. That's another one I'll have to play around with on the weekend.
Yeah. I’m only using this combo because I’ve had a jar of KCCC under my sink for years and I just want to use it up.
A few more weeks and it’ll be gone. :)

DVAntDany

@Evolving78, @oneastrocurlie and @Bette Davis Eyes I am not a fan either. They always remind me of a Salt n Pepa 80s revival. I probably should have said they are associating it with bobs to legitimize the style. What bugs me is the lack of hair in the front with the style. Having a longer bang area would look so much better. They are improving by not pushing everyone to go so short right now. I just know that neither of the As are willing to go through that indoctrination haircut.

Evolving78

I wish these companies would make sample sizes or small sizes of their products. Like I would love to try the African pride moisture miracle gel, but 18oz? Of something I ain't never used before?? Baaabyyy. I struggle to finish 8oz containers of my favourite products sometimes.
The price point is nice for that amount! I don’t understand the complaint. Do you feel you would be wasteful?

oneastrocurlie

I wish these companies would make sample sizes or small sizes of their products. Like I would love to try the African pride moisture miracle gel, but 18oz? Of something I ain't never used before?? Baaabyyy. I struggle to finish 8oz containers of my favourite products sometimes.

It feels like only luxury/higher price point brands seem to offer smaller sizes. I wish more brands did it too.

GGsKin

That’s impressive!!
It doesn't even look like the rain affected you.
Thank you. I don't mind my hair getting wet but the way it started pelting down, I had to put my furry-lined hood up after a while. I thought it was going to be a mess. I really don't like rain on my face/ body lol. I'm traveling soon and my hair always looks a mess to me when I'm on holiday. It's like my hair just decides to frizz and rebel product, so I'll make the most of these good hair days.

GettingKinky

I finished my kinky curly custard today. I’m looking forward to going back to my staple UFD/jello shot.

When I styled this morning, I did a lot less raking and mostly just smoothed. I noticed a few things

1- this is much quicker than raking
2 - I get much bigger clumps so after my standard 10 minutes of diffusing my hair was much wetter than when I rake.

I’m going to keep doing this for a few weeks and see how I like it.