Wash And Go, To Grow And To Dazzle 2020 Challenge

Britt

What do you mean it doesn't age well. What happens after day 2 or 3?

I did try the Aunt Jackie's this past week and it works OK for a cheap substitute. I'm actually still sporting it today now that I think about it. I need to try it again and get the ratio's right. I need more AJ than ICH. It is a firmer hold the first 2 days and definitely more crunchy. But for $6 :ohwell:

TGIN also had a stiff gel I want to try but I haven't been to Sally's in months. And the last time I checked it was hard to come by. But I think it is a possibility for a topper.

I want to get more length to before I try the Trepadora.
It gets old looking really quickly... my day 2 and 3 hair on ICH look awesome (my hair looks a bit lived in, the wash n go has fluffed out some it's not stiff) and the following day it's just bushier and frizzier. Idk, I'd have to post pics to really show what I mean. I can clearly see the contrast between using it and using the Trepadora gel. My hair even feels different, it feels bushier and looses the shape in the way it falls. Over the summer I was able to get a decent 5 day wash n go using Trepadora and on day 5 my hair clearly looked lived in, but it still aged nicely. On day 4 with ICH I'd be ready to absolutely wash n style again. With ICH my hair frizzes up faster. It applies beautifully when wet but it gives me best results for only a few days. I also find Trepadora gives my hair more shine and smoothness on my wash n go. But being that I wash about 2x/week, I will easily blow through those bottles of Trepadora smh.

faithVA

I’m a lazy natural too and diffusing is the only way I dry my hair. Although I would air dry if I could get good results that way. One gel sounds just about right.

It gets old looking really quickly... my day 2 and 3 hair on ICH look awesome (my hair looks a bit lived in, the wash n go has fluffed out some it's not stiff) and the following day it's just bushier and frizzier. Idk, I'd have to post pics to really show what I mean. I can clearly see the contrast between using it and using the Trepadora gel. My hair even feels different, it feels bushier and looses the shape in the way it falls. Over the summer I was able to get a decent 5 day wash n go using Trepadora and on day 5 my hair clearly looked lived in, but it still aged nicely. On day 4 with ICH I'd be ready to absolutely wash n style again. With ICH my hair frizzes up faster. It applies beautifully when wet but it gives me best results for only a few days. I also find Trepadora gives my hair more shine and smoothness on my wash n go. But being that I wash about 2x/week, I will easily blow through those bottles of Trepadora smh.
OK I understand. Have you tried doing a light layer of ICH followed by a light layer of Trepadora? I know the A's mentioned that for a few people? Could also make everything last longer.

Bette Davis Eyes

The "OG" Product Junkie
Woot!! Count me in too! My hair really likes their products. I wanted to pick up their BigPoppa gel but can never get it from Target.

I really want to wash my hair again but time is not on my side :( Hubs’ work schedule is working against me.
I’m getting the whole set. The big poppa gel is fiyah. Only con for me is it’s high in glycerin. Hard hair in NJ during winter. @LavenderMint

toaster

What exactly is a topper gel? I keep seeing it mentioned, but I don't quite get the difference between them and botanical gels
Someone else correct me if I’m wrong, but the botanical base gel is an aloe based gel that holds onto water and keeps your hair moisturized. Topper gels “do” something, like provide more hold, have humidity blocking ingredients, or something that only the botanical gel won’t do.

toaster

Ordered a dyson tonight. Finally gave in after watching curl mix founder style her washngo. I can’t wait to get it.
The dyson is a game changer in my opinion! When I’m home, I sit under my bonnet dryer, but on vacation or anytime I’m not in my apartment, the dyson is bae. So easy to travel with and dries my hair much faster than the bonnet dryer.

I’d use it every wash but my arms are not that strong and I’m lazy and get tired. I just prefer sitting down and scrolling through my phone while it dries.

colorful_coils

Someone else correct me if I’m wrong, but the botanical base gel is an aloe based gel that holds onto water and keeps your hair moisturized. Topper gels “do” something, like provide more hold, have humidity blocking ingredients, or something that only the botanical gel won’t do.
Ah, that makes sense! So it's meant to be an extra layer on top of a botanical gel. Thank you!

LavenderMint

I’m getting the whole set. The big poppa gel is fiyah. Only con for me is it’s high in glycerin. Hard hair in NJ during winter. @LavenderMint
Ordered a dyson tonight. Finally gave in after watching curl mix founder style her washngo. I can’t wait to get it.

...I need to stay out of here AND off Instagram :lachen:
I already have the cowash, the conditioner, mousse & leave-in. Thanks for the heads up regarding the glycerin content; I’m in MD so I need to keep that in mind, especially as I’m in the dry house air all day now.

Ever since I decided I need a new dryer, I’ve been looking at the Dyson too but now I’m conflicted between that and a rolling/standing one because I like to sit & scroll too....

(Honestly, I’ll probably end up with both since they serve different purposes :scratchchin:)

Bette Davis Eyes

The "OG" Product Junkie
...I need to stay out of here AND off Instagram :lachen:
I already have the cowash, the conditioner, mousse & leave-in. Thanks for the heads up regarding the glycerin content; I’m in MD so I need to keep that in mind, especially as I’m in the dry house air all day now.

Ever since I decided I need a new dryer, I’ve been looking at the Dyson too but now I’m conflicted between that and a rolling/standing one because I like to sit & scroll too....

(Honestly, I’ll probably end up with both since they serve different purposes :scratchchin:)

My rolling dryer gets the top of my hair dry quick. The bottom and sides, not so much. Also the air flow is up, so sometimes the hair lifts which I dont like, so I dont use the rolling dryer for my washngo. The cast is harder as well.

Watching the founder of Curlmix, the dyson is blowing the hair down which helps with elongation WHICH I think I would love. I bought a handheld dryer a few months back for the diffuser which was a disaster as it always is but the concentrator was the business because it worked blowing it down, its just the air flow didnt do what I want it to do, hence the dyson @LavenderMint

LavenderMint

What exactly is a topper gel? I keep seeing it mentioned, but I don't quite get the difference between them and botanical gels
Could also be some kind of botanical infusion (specifically looking at Kinky Curly) but it seems that aloe is usually there. I had to go grab my gels to look. But @toaster is right: in the ingredients you’ll see things like water first and then all kinds of botanicals.
I checked 9 different gels :abducted: , 3 of which I know aren’t strictly botanical (clear eco, gorilla snot, & original Wetline) and all I can say for sure is that I wish it was easier to decode these ingredient lists.

Last edited:

Bette Davis Eyes

The "OG" Product Junkie
@LavenderMint

Look at the bottom for some botanical gels. Also look around at the top, it will show you some of the ingredients to avoid

Britt

Exactly...
If you try out UFD you'll notice how it's slippery and reacts well with water. The toppers will vary depending on your needs. Some use mousse if they want a fluffier outcome on day 1.

faithVA

Ah, that makes sense! So it's meant to be an extra layer on top of a botanical gel. Thank you!
I'm late to the party. To add to what toaster said the botanical gel is anything that is natural or plant based. It has been recommended to put a botanical gel directly on the hair for health reasons but also because they can be removed with gentler products. The botanical gel will help with the foundation of your curl set.

The toppers contain synthetic ingredients, typically some type of plastic. As others have said they can help block moisture and humidity and reduce frizz. They can reduce drying time. They also can increase elongation and how long your set lasts. Toppers are meant to solve problems that occur after your botanical gel. You can have multiple toppers to solve different types of problems. And you may change your toppers based on the weather, climate, etc.

toaster

Heading to South Carolina tomorrow for a few weeks! Very excited to be able to walk around outside and enjoy warmer weather for a bit.

Very nervous about my hair... going to grab some satin scrunchies in case my hair grows so much I need to pull it back. Will certainly test out my kinky curly products and how they handle humidity.

faithVA

Heading to South Carolina tomorrow for a few weeks! Very excited to be able to walk around outside and enjoy warmer weather for a bit.

Very nervous about my hair... going to grab some satin scrunchies in case my hair grows so much I need to pull it back. Will certainly test out my kinky curly products and how they handle humidity.
Wave to my family for me :smile:

Bette Davis Eyes

The "OG" Product Junkie
The Innersense I Create Hold gel reminds me a lot of wetline in terms of consistency and the way it smooths the hair. But I don’t think I ever used the original wetline. Only the reformulated one.
I was on Ulta looking at them and they are oos. I’ll get around to trying some.

I ordered a Brazilian gel by Salon Line. It just arrived and there is no glycerin in it. I think it will go well over my lighter gels. I’ll try it out soon.
Thanks @GettingKinky

bzb1990

3b/3c. henna/cassia.
@LavenderMint

Look at the bottom for some botanical gels. Also look around at the top, it will show you some of the ingredients to avoid

wow. S-Curl has glycerin and prop. glycol high up, at least in the current incarnation.
I looked up the ingredient, and in addition to what is written there, which also goes for glycerin,
this may be of importance (but unsure as to whether amino acids structure being weakened is the same as our hair's keratin being weakened):
"This shows that propylene glycol molecule could induce weakening of the tertiary structure by hydrophobic bonding and subsequent (or simultaneous) promotion of the helix formation."
and "The corresponding volume change of transfer of the protein is positive, mainly due to dehydration of the protein accompanying the conformational change."

Basically, keratin is rich in amino acids (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2736122/) and that combined with above info:

"In humans, type I keratins have a pI of 4.9–5.4, whereas type II keratins have a pI of 6.5–8.5 (Bowden et al. 1984). In bovines, type I keratins have a pI < 5.6 and type II keratins have a pI > 6.0 (Cooper & Sun, 1986). Keratins that are specific to hair, nail or wool have a pI of 4.7–5.4 (Marshall, 1983). The pI of keratins can be changed due to post-translational modifications (ETA: this may be before the filament is actually formed, actually, on reading properly) of their amino acids (Bowden et al. 1984"

(they do follow this noting that "30% of the amino acid types and sequences are the same in acidic and basic types of keratin (etc)" but surely that still makes a difference if you already have fine hair? Am no scientist though so this is a (very) uneducated layperson's understanding.
As I noticed breakage (small hairs) after applying SCurl during those days --
even when it was diluted or mixed in other things, and that combo used without Scurl was fine..unusual for me as hair was detangled + braided prior. Haven't ever had breakage issues with the other items I use that have glycerin (mainly ic Fantasia HP) so I wonder if the ratio of p.g. is off in Scurl for my hair. anyway, i'll err on the side of caution after this.

Last edited: