What do other races (white, asian, spanish ect) do to their hair to keep it healthy?

The Girl

Re: What do other races (white, asian, spanish ect) do to their hair to keep it healt

My Dominicas do it a lot. It's like a clear temporary color treatment, but it doesn't have ammonia or any of that other bad stuff. It may last anywhere from one month to 2 months. They often comes in diff colors, but I prefer clear which leaves a shiny finish.

- Sebastian Colourshines is one (discontinued)
- Clairol Jazzing (in clear)
- Colorshowers (read about it here and here) Buy them here
oh ok I have done the Jazzings before it was nice nothing spectacular. I need to try the Colorshowers. Thank you

Serenity_Peace

Genius never dies!
Re: What do other races (white, asian, spanish ect) do to their hair to keep it healt

The other day I went to get my nails done and it's a nail salon/hair salon mainly for Asian and Hispanic women/men. I was amazed at the number of women who came in to get their hair colored, blow dried, flat ironed and curled. I gawked at the fact that they did all these so-called damaging techniques: color, blow dried, flat ironed, curled with direct heat and yet their hair was shiny and healthy-looking from root to tip. These were Asian and Hispanic women, mainly, each coming into the salon for BLONDE highlights, damaging heat services. I tell ya: if I had gotten all that done to my hair, not to mention the pulling and tugging, I wouldn't have any hair at all...

I just wanted to share that. I think it's simply amazing that non-black women can do that to their hair and still have long, shiny, healthy-looking hair. :blush:

Sui Topi

In the Philipines, Mane n Tail is a hot commodityused by celebrities and the rich..people even send over boxes of it from here to sell down there. (Its true, 2 out of the 3 walmarts I went into were sold out clean of the shampoo and conditioner) My father in law swears by it...he even let me in on a secret...you can buy a 1litre bottle at walmart in the pet section for the same amount as the tiny bottle in the ethnic hair care section. I just copped a conditioner today, it really revived my hair, I love a little as a leave in

sunshinelady

My connect at the BSS told me his Eritrean mom used Butter as a conditioner. I was like :spinning:, but hell what do I know?

Sui Topi

lol you called him your 'connect' aaaahahaha

Energist

My husband (Asian) does very little to his hair. He washes it every other day or every 2 days and just uses pantene conditioning shampoo and lets it air dry. He doesn't put other gunk in his hair and he has some of the most beautiful hair I've ever seen. Also, Asian hair tends to be the strongest and healthiest of all the races, so I don't believe that they need to do much to keep it that way.

Sui Topi

Yeah, girl I'm just so glad that there is a black-owned BSS in my area.

It's true. Theres one a little ways from me but I have a feeling he just opened it so he could meet girls. He was a little too friendly when I asked if they had any regular strength perm. I swear he even doesn't put prices on things so you haaaaave to talk to him.

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made

Hey!
Thanks for the welcome!!!
( I'm not a real newbie though because i've been on hair boards for about 2 years, i just never payed the $5 to post on LHCF :look:, so i know that each person has different regimens and hair needs:yep:)

But anyway...

I wasnt trying to lump all black or white people (and other races) into one category about what they do to their hair

I dont think black people take extreme measure to take care of their hair, but do you agree that black hair is one of the driest out of all hair types?
So, i was just saying since our hair is different in that since that its one of the most dry types, than maybe our regimen and daily upkeep is different from other races since they dont have that aspect to worry about, and i was just wondering what alot of them normally do
You can say that alot of black people normally deepconditon their hair and moisturize it, so i was wondering what you can say other races "normally do"
Oh okay. ;) You've been lurking for a long time!

To answer your question, I cannot say that Black hair is one of the driest. There are Black women who do not have moisture problems with their hair. Any hair type can be dry due to several different factors (climate, weather, products, hair care, etc).

pistachio

I think that the fact that their hair is naturally straight for the most part they can get away with less heat or no at all, whereas those of us who relax our hair have to have at least ONE type of heat application in order to achieve the same straightness, or anything close to it.

Artemis

I think that the fact that their hair is naturally straight for the most part they can get away with less heat or no at all, whereas those of us who relax our hair have to have at least ONE type of heat application in order to achieve the same straightness, or anything close to it.

I have to disagree here. Yes their hair is naturally straighter, but not all the way straight. You'd be surprised at how many non-blacks straighten their hair with heat every morning b/c they hate the waves/curls they have naturally. There is a straight hair epidemic and it's not just w/blacks. That's why flat irons are so much more popular than curling irons :ohwell:

pistachio

Yes, which is why I said "for the most part", and not all White people, and even if thier hair isn't perfectly straight it's a hell of a lot straighter naturally than most of us who relax, so they still don't have to use as much heat for the most part to get it straight. My ex, who was Irish was a fine example of that...

Artemis

My Polish friend fried her hair up just like I did before I got serious a/b haircare. We BOTH had to stop the madness. She deep conditions and wears protective styles (phony ponies) and stopped coloring. But her growth rate is ridiculous, and I had to cut stuff off, so her hair is way longer than mine now (no fair :nono:)

ETA: Nothing but Biolage and Chi can touch her hair. She's never set foot in a Walmart or Target in her life so I doubt she's ever heard of Suave or Garnier, etc. :blush:

Is all they have to do is wash it everyday so the oil wont buildup?

They dont have to moisturize their ends or their entire hair, do deepconditiong treatments?.....They can just use a cheap Suave shampoo and conditoner and be good to go?

I have a caucasian friend, her hair is healthy and thick as it wants to be, and she blowdrys and roundbrushes her hair everyday.....whats up with this kind of stuff?

Do other races hair really take care of themselves basically?

Last edited:

zzirvingj

It's true. Theres one a little ways from me but I have a feeling he just opened it so he could meet girls. He was a little too friendly when I asked if they had any regular strength perm. I swear he even doesn't put prices on things so you haaaaave to talk to him.

OT: Who is that in your siggy??

Artemis

Yes, which is why I said "for the most part", and not all White people, and even if thier hair isn't perfectly straight it's a hell of a lot straighter naturally than most of us who relax, so they still don't have to use as much heat for the most part to get it straight. My ex, who was Irish was a fine example of that...

I got ya. I'm just thinking a/b a relaxed black who flat irons once/week v. a wavy-haired non-black who may flat iron every day or every other day...Your thoughts?

crazydaze911

My Polish friend fried her hair up just like I did before I got serious a/b haircare. We BOTH had to stop the madness. She deep conditions and wears protective styles (phony ponies) and stopped coloring. But her growth rate is ridiculous, and I had to cut stuff off, so her hair is way longer than mine now (no fair :nono:)
ETA: Nothing but Biolage and Chi can touch her hair. She's never set foot in a Walmart or Target in her life so I doubt she's ever heard of Suave or Garnier, etc. :blush:

This is what i usually see. I know growth rate can be hereditary, but I think that their hair bounces back faster from damage and retains more length b/c its less dry (even if they wear it out EVERYDAY). Just laying low on the color can make a huge improvement in their hair (as opposed to the 10 steps i have to do to get my hair in better shape).
It takes my bestfriend like a whole year b/f she says 'my ends are alittle dry, i need a little trim' - and she actually IRONS her hair with a REAL CLOTHING IRON:nono:
BTW - sorry if i'm not politically correct by lumping the whole list of races into one category - lol.

Misseyl

CurleeDST;2686477[B said:
]I see so many non-black women with unhealthy fried hair it is ridiculous. Not sure why no one else sees this. I do not think they have it "easier" simply b/c their hair is not as kinky as ours.[/B] For those with healthy hair the ones I know and see tend not to do much to it. I work with non-black women who have thin hair b/c that is just how they were born. My natural hair is easy to me when I wet it and go. Not sure how much easier it can be. Not sure they are all using those cheap hair products like Suave. I hate that stuff and not sure it is really good in the long run for healthy hair.

The Indian women I see with long hair typically have it bunned up most of the time.

Bolded -- You took the words right out of my mouth -- yep, hair that has been damaged due to improper use of blow dryers, dyes and perms. Yep, they have their issues too.

Thank God for the internet because if it wasn't for it, we probably wouldn't have set up a Tupperware party/hair party to discuss ways how to grow healthy natural/relaxed hair. Madam C Walker was the pioneer, now we are trying to pick up where she left off..

gymfreak336

Many different cultures pride themselves in their hair and have their own cultural traditions in caring for it. Asians do creme baths and use alot of camellia oil, Indians use alot of herbal infused oils to promote shiny black long hair, Italian women use alot of olive oil treatments etc....

I do believe that in some ways, certain hair types do respond differently to damaging practices but every culture in their own way is fascinated and obsessed with beauty, hair being a main aspect of that.

Artemis

This is what i usually see. I know growth rate can be hereditary, but I think that their hair bounces back faster from damage and retains more length b/c its less dry (even if they wear it out EVERYDAY). Just laying low on the color can make a huge improvement in their hair (as opposed to the 10 steps i have to do to get my hair in better shape).
It takes my bestfriend like a whole year b/f she says 'my ends are alittle dry, i need a little trim' - and she actually IRONS her hair with a REAL CLOTHING IRON :nono:
BTW - sorry if i'm not politically correct by lumping the whole list of races into one category - lol.

When I was natural, I was on naturallycurly.com and I read that ladies did that when they were kids!! WTF? I don't get it.

But their sebum can't be like magical, and its way more protective than ours...:nono: I mean, can't we just apply some jojoba or coconut oil and call it a day?

The Girl

When I was natural, I was on naturallycurly.com and I read that ladies did that when they were kids!! WTF? I don't get it.

But their sebum can't be like magical, and its way more protective than ours...:nono: I mean, can't we just apply some jojoba or coconut oil and call it a day?

Oh how I wish it was that easy.

Candy_C

black hair is easy to looki after too!

we make it harder for ourselves

all u need is a decent oil, water and some herbal powder

thats even more simpler than other races have it

hair doesnt have 2 be hard work. just KEEP IT SIMPLE!

deep conditioning and hot oils are hair treats

esp if yur hair is damaged

healthy hair doesnt need extra goodies

this gets me mad cos i know hair is easy to tend to, we just makeit difficult

we havent drawn the short end of the stick just cos were black

Candy_C

=artemis_e.;3115395]When I was natural, I was on naturallycurly.com and I read that ladies did that when they were kids!! WTF? I don't get it.

corse we can....thats what i do! :perplexed

Candy_C

the best thing i ever did was adopt indian haircare into my life

hair teas made from 1 part shikakhai and 2 parts amla will do wonders for strength and growth...try it with some hot water between shampooing (or oil cleansing) and conditioning.

The Girl

the best thing i ever did was adopt indian haircare into my life

hair teas made from 1 part shikakhai and 2 parts amla will do wonders for strength and growth...try it with some hot water between shampooing (or oil cleansing) and conditioning.

hmm I have those powders too.

Candy_C

My Dominicas do it a lot. It's like a clear temporary color treatment, but it doesn't have ammonia or any of that other bad stuff. It may last anywhere from one month to 2 months. They often comes in diff colors, but I prefer clear which leaves a shiny finish.

- Sebastian Colourshines is one (discontinued)
- Clairol Jazzing (in clear)
- Colorshowers (read about it here and here) Buy them here

the ayurvedic type of gloss would be cassia

i personally use adore in clear, once a year...

if not, i dye it semi black (adore)

Artemis

Thank you so much Candy! Really...this is a good post :)

Artemis

corse we can....thats what i do! :perplexed

Me too! Granted my growth rate isn't quite like my Polish BFF (she says it's b/c I don't each porkchops :lol: ) but that doesn't mean that in other aspects I don't blow her out of the water. My hair retains moisture like 5x better than hers! She hates me for it, too, lol. Honestly the only real differences between her hair and mine is that that 1) her hair grows at least 1" per month to my 1/2" and 2) Her hair is less naturally curly than mine. We both have fine hair that can be easily damaged and come from a scissor-happy upbringing. Shoot, she relaxes her hair too!:rolleyes: I didn't believe her at first but she stuck my hand in her head one night at the bar and I could feel the difference (natural silkiness v. chemically altered silkiness). It was quite a surprise...

AvaSpeaks

Me too! Granted my growth rate isn't quite like my Polish BFF (she says it's b/c I don't each porkchops :lol: ) but that doesn't mean that in other aspects I don't blow her out of the water. My hair retains moisture like 5x better than hers! She hates me for it, too, lol. Honestly the only real differences between her hair and mine is that that 1) her hair grows at least 1" per month to my 1/2" and 2) Her hair is less naturally curly than mine. We both have fine hair that can be easily damaged and come from a scissor-happy upbringing. Shoot, she relaxes her hair too!:rolleyes: I didn't believe her at first but she stuck my hand in her head one night at the bar and I could feel the difference (natural silkiness v. chemically altered silkiness). It was quite a surprise...

But I think that's why the question was originally raised. I mean "they" pretty much can do anything to their hair, and either it's long or still gets longer. And I don't necessarily mean WL but most of "them" can get SL or BSL length easy.

And look at all the things we are doing to even get from SL to BSL! I mean I am beginning to accept that our hair is completely different and may even grow slower. This is not to say that we can't ever have long hair, but let's be honest, we have to do a helluva lot more to acheive what they can achieve without little to no work.

It's a hard reality that I think some of us on this board may not realize. I mean some of us are popping like 5 or 6 vitamins a day!

They don't do that, so why do we?

tallnomad

I see so many non-black women with unhealthy fried hair it is ridiculous. Not sure why no one else sees this. I do not think they have it "easier" simply b/c their hair is not as kinky as ours. For those with healthy hair the ones I know and see tend not to do much to it. I work with non-black women who have thin hair b/c that is just how they were born. My natural hair is easy to me when I wet it and go. Not sure how much easier it can be. Not sure they are all using those cheap hair products like Suave. I hate that stuff and not sure it is really good in the long run for healthy hair.

The Indian women I see with long hair typically have it bunned up most of the time.

I agree with this for the most part. Since I've been doing the oil rinse, I also want to suggest it for some non-blacks I see. I have an Asian friend with some dry, wispy hair. I told her to put oil in her hair and she looked at me like I was crazy. When I explained to her that Indian women did that she said she could understand that now because their hair looks so healthy. Since doing the oil rinse in my hair, my eyes are really keen on who else might need to be doing this, and I see a lot of whites and Latinas who should be adding this to their regimen also.!:look:

Last edited:

fluffylocks

Thats true :yep:--But alot of black hair is naturally porus, naturally more weak because of all the bends and turns, naturally has less oil and water content in each strand, sometimes has less sulfur----
Alot of other race's hair doesnt have any oil, porosity, or water retention issues.

I wasnt trying to say that any hair is better than the other, so i hope no-one got that idea, just wodering what common regimens other people have, because our hair is slightly different, thats all.