When will you be able to let your hair down?

I'll ease up on the protective styles when I'm.....

• SL

Votes: 11 4.5%
  • APL

Votes: 44 18.0%
  • BSL/BSB

Votes: 77 31.6%
  • MBL

Votes: 44 18.0%
  • WL

Votes: 19 7.8%
  • TBL

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I don't think I'll ever be satisfied enough to wear it down often :ohwell:

Votes: 10 4.1%
  • I already wear my hair down often. It's healthy, I'm flaunting it! :grin:

Votes: 38 15.6%

• Total voters

Puddles

On Cloud 9
I'm going to stop when I'm back at armpit. I have 6 more months or 3in. to go. Then I'm wearing my hair out more often.

Soliel185

My hair looks and feels so healthy and thick right now that I really don't mind wearing it down unless it's above neck length - which has only happened to me once - other than that I think it looks good regardless. The only thing that would throw me off is a bad cut, or if it doesn't lay right b/c it has no shape. The healthiness of it is a more important factor to me than the length.

I wear it down pretty rarely though anyway, b/c if any little thing is off I'll put it up in a heartbeat. I'd rather look cute with an updo than look like Í'm trying to be cute with a giant cowlick sticking out of my head.

LunadeMiel

I currently wear my hair "out" because it's too short for a ponytail. Once I am able to do a ponytail, I won't wear it out until I reach my first goal length of Waist length streched.

JustKiya

i dont mean to be rude or anything but for those of you who said MBL (or longer) why so long? i mean is it paranoia, for lack of a better word (except those of you who used that word) or what? i know that cichelle actually came out and said that it is just easier for her to keep it up but i dont think that is the case for all of you. frankly...some of you just seem like major hair anorexics.

thank you for your responses :drunk:

:lol: Not rude at all!

Yeah, a little of it is paranoia, for me. I know (from years of experience) how my ends get when they are exposed - they get dried out, they get rough, they get tangly. And then, they start knotting up, and I start getting frustrated, and I start yanking, and that leads to breakage - and - then I start 'maintaining' my length & it's just a nasty cycle, for me.
So - I for one, know that my hair needs to be long enough that I can pull it over my shoulders and SEE all of my ends to detangle before I'll be able to manage it 'out & down' successfully on a regular basis.

Also - and I've picked this mindset up from TLHC - just because it's uber long, doesn't mean that there isn't still just as much potential mechanical damage going on - yeah, it's not rubbing on your shoulders, but now it's trapped between your back and the back of your chair. It's getting caught under purse straps and in zippers and around necklaces and under the seatbelt. It's blowing into food and out the car window and all over the place. The more hair you have, the more hair you have to protect - and - esp. for those of us who are trying to go VERY long (or to terminal) - the only way to insure our hair 'lasts' that long, is to keep our same mindset on protecting the hair that got us that far, ya know?

Arcadian

I'm working on letting it down more, though I have to say its very convenient to put it in a ponytail or bun.

I am much more self conscious when its down because it can be crazy getting caught up in car doors and stuff. Once I got it caught in the window. My hair isn't particularly long (APL or so) but I have to say I don't have a lot of experience wearing it down.

-A

lilsparkle825

:lol: Not rude at all!

Yeah, a little of it is paranoia, for me. I know (from years of experience) how my ends get when they are exposed - they get dried out, they get rough, they get tangly. And then, they start knotting up, and I start getting frustrated, and I start yanking, and that leads to breakage - and - then I start 'maintaining' my length & it's just a nasty cycle, for me.
So - I for one, know that my hair needs to be long enough that I can pull it over my shoulders and SEE all of my ends to detangle before I'll be able to manage it 'out & down' successfully on a regular basis.

Also - and I've picked this mindset up from TLHC - just because it's uber long, doesn't mean that there isn't still just as much potential mechanical damage going on - yeah, it's not rubbing on your shoulders, but now it's trapped between your back and the back of your chair. It's getting caught under purse straps and in zippers and around necklaces and under the seatbelt. It's blowing into food and out the car window and all over the place. The more hair you have, the more hair you have to protect - and - esp. for those of us who are trying to go VERY long (or to terminal) - the only way to insure our hair 'lasts' that long, is to keep our same mindset on protecting the hair that got us that far, ya know?
grrrrreat answer.

prospurr4

I wear my hair down occasionally, now, but only in twistouts and spiral sets...does that count? My ends are uneven and these styles hide them.:sekret: However, I plan to wear it down in straight styles after I reach WL (in December) and get a blunt cut. I must admit though that I like my updos and will continue to rock them too.

iasade

My hair is short and coily so I really wear it "down" often, people just can't tell the length because it is sooooooooooooo short. Maybe in a year I will actually be able to flaunt some length without having to straighten it.:yep:

BioGeekChic

I think I'll be able to wear my hair down more often when I have reached somewhere between bsl and mbl. Right now my hair doesn't feel and look long to me when I wear it down. Also I feel more comfortable with my hair up anyways.

africa

I don't know what's wrong with me. I'm actually more paranoid now than when my hair was shorter. Even when I do wear it down as soon as I get in the house, it's right back up.

I'll relax about it one of these days I guess.:ohwell:

I'm like this too. I've never had healthy hair this length, so Im afraid that any little thing will = loss of length:nono:

chebaby

im apl and i dont think that long at all. its hot anyways so im in protective style mode right now but when the weather gets cooler i will wear it down all the time 'cause i just cant get with the ponytail thing...ewwww just the thought of it:lachen:

laketta

I voted: I don't think I'll ever be satisfied enough to wear it down often

I am paranoid. I am convinced the moment I wear it down all the time it will start splitting.

plastic

i dont mean to be rude or anything but for those of you who said MBL (or longer) why so long? i mean is it paranoia, for lack of a better word (except those of you who used that word) or what? i know that cichelle actually came out and said that it is just easier for her to keep it up but i dont think that is the case for all of you. frankly...some of you just seem like major hair anorexics.

thank you for your responses :drunk:

I voted MBL, but i may not even wear it down then, it has to do with ease/laziness, i comb my hair only to detangle it maybe once every two months. Can you imagine detangling MBL hair more than that ? I never even used to comb my NL hair. So i would most likely only wear it down after a fresh touchup and when i have my hair in cornrows ... plus i live in the Caribbean and its so ****** hot here , i would sweat like a mutha even with SL hair down

GoldenBreeze

ok, i can agree with that most definitely - a simple routine works wonders.

but why is protecting your ends still a concern? i guess dryness is always a concern, huh...but breakage as well? i can understand that at SL, but...i know, i know, i got a lot to learn.

Sorry I took so long, but I'm not in the forum as often as I used to be.:blush:

Protecting my ends is still a concern because, end damage is one of the biggest factors in retaining hair length no matter what your goal length is. Another reason is that my hair does not grow evenly. If I wear it down a lot, then the ends of my faster growing areas will be damaged before the slower growing areas can catch up and I would need to trim them off more frequently causing me to take much longer to reach my goal.

Brees_hair

When I reach MBL and even then I don't see myself wearing it down everyday. I like my buns, very comfortable and classy. You can never go wrong with a nice bun. Besides, I would be paranoid that my hair will start catching on to everything and begin breaking off.

moonglowdiva

I don't think I'll ever be able to wear it down because it is just too hot and sticky where I live. I can't stand for hair to touch my shoulders so I keep my hair pinned up. Its easier now that I am a full NL :grin:

RosesBlack

I replied to this earlier but I decided today I am going to make myself wear my hair down once a week.

I am styling challenged so this will be good for me to learn I think.

First time in um...wow a long time I am going to wear my hair down on Friday.

Nuelle

I've been wearing my hair down more often these past few months since I've reached BSL. I'm not as paranoid anymore. Usually when I get my hair done, I'll wear it down 3-4 times a week, for the first few weeks at least. Since I'm contemplating transitioning, I might as well enjoy my hair! :yep:

Sunshine0801

I am natural and won't start straightening my hair and wearing it down until I'm waist length. I'm MBL right now. Once I hit waist length, I will still usually wear it in protective styles though, since they are easier to maintain.

Blu217

It's hair. I wear it like an accessory and wear it down whenever I want to, weather permitting. Wearing my hair down never impeded the retention of length. I wear it pulled back when it's dirty, it's unruly or it's humid or rainy out. I wear it down whenever it's looking good and I'm feeling cute--and I don't really think anything of it. The majority of my hair problems have not come from wearing my hair down; they're's usually from something I put in it or some failed technique I tried.

MA2010

When I get my relaxer in August this hair is showing out :grin:!!!!

I'm only SL but I love the "swang" my hair gets after a fresh relaxer!

After about 2 days my hair is going into protective custody....umm hmmm...I mean pretective styling!!! :yep:

HighlyFavored1

Sorry I took so long, but I'm not in the forum as often as I used to be.:blush:

Protecting my ends is still a concern because, end damage is one of the biggest factors in retaining hair length no matter what your goal length is. Another reason is that my hair does not grow evenly. If I wear it down a lot, then the ends of my faster growing areas will be damaged before the slower growing areas can catch up and I would need to trim them off more frequently causing me to take much longer to reach my goal.

I really agree with this. I noticed that this is the biggest advantage for wearing my hair up. I had a big problem with this recently and had to cut a lot of progress.