1st Year (13 mos.) Update - [Pic Heavy]

Miamori

Okay, this is my THIRD TIME writing this out! I did it the first TWO TIMES on Friday, and deleted it (accidently, of course) the first time after I was completely done. I was too through. If I delete it again, it just isn't meant to be.

Okay, so my hair is VERY PROCESSED. :grin: When I first joined the forum, I'd just had foil highlights done over highlights I'd maintained for 2 years (done through a cap). I am also relaxed, and often relaxed at home, leaving it in for 30-45 minutes, and allowing it to be pulled halfway down my length at home and in the salon.

Right before I had the foiling done, I went to my childhood stylist when I got back from college for a touch up and trim. My hair had grown tremendously during the year at college (with only a single salon visit during the time), so I was excited to see my length, which was the longest it had been since I first started caring for my own hair... and then she cut my hair to the shortest it had EVER BEEN, the bottom of my neck. So I was upset, and I haven't been back since. She was/is offended and unhappy, but I'm not.

Then I went to a new stylist (haven't been back to her either) and had my highlights done.

So I started here in June 2008:

(air dried w/ coconut oil)

And now I am here (July 2009):​

My roller sets went from this (July 2008):

To this (June 2009):

The thickness and length of my plaits and twist outs went from this:

(June 2008 plait - 5)

(July 2008 twists -6)
To this (July 2009):

My nape was broken off (for about 2 inches towards my crown) from overprocessing and a bad chemical burn on the left side. I was completely bald there and the spot was red for some time. The skin there constantly hardened and peeled (for about a year), and each time it did, the fine baby hairs trying to grow in would come out with it.

Now, my nape looks like this:

(July 2009)

The spot on the left is still thin, and the hair that grows from there is shorter and fine, but it's no longer bald. :)
I was soooooooooooooo happy in October when my hair was here a few months after I started:

And now it's here!!!

(My reggie: I just supply what my hair needs as I feel my hair needs it. I try to relax when I have around 2 inches in spring and summer, and 3-4 in fall and winter, which varies in the number of weeks. My products vary, but I'm a fan of natural products and ayurveda. I use natural oils in my hair and sometimes mix them. Right now, I don't use a leave in, and haven't since last fall. I use oils instead. I do ACV rinses as needed, and used Roux Porosity Control a few times in April/May. Over the past year I've used HV, Shesccentit, Cantu, and Joico products to name a few. I roller set, air dry, do braid outs, bun, straighten, etc. whe nI feel like it and/or believe my hair either needs it (for health) or is able to handle it (without it causing too much damage). I wash and do everything as needed, instead of on a set schedule. My products, very, because I like to try new things. The only constants are the oils and Alter Ego Linange relaxer.)

And thus ends perhaps the most comprehensive update thread ever. :wave:

Last edited:

msa

Look at you! Get it girl!

Beautiful hair. Love the pics.

Ot: are you studying abroad this year?

Miamori

Great job. You're hair is so shiny.

Girl, that's the flash coming off the mirror! :lachen:

Look at you! Get it girl!

Beautiful hair. Love the pics.

Ot: are you studying abroad this year?

Thanks. Going back through my albums, I realized I excessively take pictures of my hair.

Nope, I'm staying put. I debated Santiago because I really like it there (I studied abroad there and in Mexico in high school) and Spain, but I decided to stay on campus for personal reasons. I think I will do better and because of that enjoy myself more overall, and I'm looking at law school and want to take LSAT classes soon if I can.

I'm co-teaching/leading an Explorations class (Power Structures and Sexual Structure in America) and co-editing Onyx. I also didn't want to give those up, for better or worse. :grin:

msa

Girl, that's the flash coming off the mirror! :lachen:

Thanks. Going back through my albums, I realized I excessively take pictures of my hair.

Nope, I'm staying put. I debated Santiago because I really like it there (I studied abroad there and in Mexico in high school) and Spain, but I decided to stay on campus for personal reasons. I think I will do better and because of that enjoy myself more overall, and I'm looking at law school and want to take LSAT classes soon if I can.

I'm co-teaching/leading an Explorations class (Power Structures and Sexual Structure in America) and co-editing Onyx. I also didn't want to give those up, for better or worse. :grin:

I only went away for fall my junior year (DC) but I was on campus every 2 weeks. You think it's going to be bad because all your friends are away, but it's actually great. I miss onyx, is it online? I think I still have an old onyx calendar LOL. And my explorations class sucked, so make sure you guys have interesting ways to fill the 3 hours. Your topic sounds great though, so I'm sure you'll be fine.

I took the LSAT last fall and did ok. Then I decided I didn't want to go to law school. Oh well.

Miamori

I only went away for fall my junior year (DC) but I was on campus every 2 weeks. You think it's going to be bad because all your friends are away, but it's actually great. I miss onyx, is it online? I think I still have an old onyx calendar LOL. And my explorations class sucked, so make sure you guys have interesting ways to fill the 3 hours. Your topic sounds great though, so I'm sure you'll be fine.

I took the LSAT last fall and did ok. Then I decided I didn't want to go to law school. Oh well.

No, I'm going to have a ball. I was mad because I was so incognegro freshman year, then a couple dudes swarmed, and suddenly everyone knew me. Now I can enjoy my anonymity again for another year.

The only thing I'm apprehensive about is that most of the juniors staying are coupled, and i don't know how I'll feel about being around boo loving and cupcaking half of the time.

Thanks for the tip. I don't want to torture them. We plan on doing a lot with movies and media to keep it from being too boring.

I'm almost hoping I will decide law school is not for me, but right now I really want it.

BostonMaria

Great progress!! Your hair looks beautiful!!
My hair thrives when I do it myself, too. One question for you though, why the heck is your ex-stylist mad at you for? She's the one that messed up your hair! Some people make no sense.

Miamori

Great progress!! Your hair looks beautiful!!
My hair thrives when I do it myself, too. One question for you though, why the heck is your ex-stylist mad at you for? She's the one that messed up your hair! Some people make no sense.

Well, she has a rep for being the ish and once her clients go to her, they don't leave unless they die or relocate. And she does keep hair wonderfully healthy in addition to having fabulous styling skills. The main issue is that her thing is kind of precision cuts, and she does not like even a single strand to be uneven, so she is constantly trimming your hair. On top of that she considers herself to be kind of an "auntie" to me, so she feels slighted on a deeper level.

If I didn't mind keeping my hair at the same length, it wouldn't have been an issue.

But, it's my hair, and I'm keeping it on my head. :lachen:

countrychickd

Gorgeous hair girl! You've made such great progress! This is so inspirational! Thanks for sharing! Congrats on your first year!

Miamori

Wonderful progress, I'm glad all your efforts have resulted in this! :D :D Well done you!

Thank you. I definitely feel like I remember your hair! But I think I am confusing you with a German, as crazy as that sounds...

I suppose that this is my cue that it's time for me to try to go to sleep again. :lachen: