2 inches in 4 months Challenge (March - June 2013)

faithVA

[USER=371995 said:
laylaaa[/USER];18143225]I hope so. I just can't work out if I need more moisture or more protein because I've been doing both! If my hair is fairly stretchy, does that mean I'm overmoisturised?

Definitely going to dust these ends though, I keep procrastinating. :nono:

Is your hair breaking more when it's dry or when it's wet?

When you pull it when it's wet does it break almost immediately or do you have to pull it a bit before it breaks?

laylaaa

Is your hair breaking more when it's dry or when it's wet?

When you pull it when it's wet does it break almost immediately or do you have to pull it a bit before it breaks?

I think it breaks more when it is wet but I'm unsure... I'll keep an eye on it. What does it mean either way?

As for the other question, I checked in the shower. I pulled on the hair and it stretched a fair bit and then slipped out of my finger. Did it again and same happened. Third time, it snapped. Over-moisturised, I'm guessing?

HanaKuroi

laylaaa said:
I think it breaks more when it is wet but I'm unsure... I'll keep an eye on it. What does it mean either way?

As for the other question, I checked in the shower. I pulled on the hair and it stretched a fair bit and then slipped out of my finger. Did it again and same happened. Third time, it snapped. Over-moisturised, I'm guessing?

Do you mean one strand?

I can't see any mentions on my IPhone. PM me if it is a must see. Allons y

faithVA

[USER=371995 said:
laylaaa[/USER];18143399]I think it breaks more when it is wet but I'm unsure... I'll keep an eye on it. What does it mean either way?

When it overstretches, I don't know how to explain it, it needs protein. If you can't stretch it to its full length moisture.

For example if when dry you can stretch your hair to your collarbone, then when wet you should be able to stretch it to that same point and a little bit further with no issue. If it breaks before or just beyond that point the hair probably needs more moisture. If it goes beyond that point and keeps stretching, you need more protein.

When the hair has enough protein, and you pull on it when wet, you should feel some resistance of the hair pulling back. When it doesn't pull back it needs more protein.

What I am noticing is when my hair needs protein, the breakage just sort of wraps around my fingers and it's hard to get off.

laylaaa

faithVA

When it overstretches, I don't know how to explain it, it needs protein. If you can't stretch it to its full length moisture.

For example if when dry you can stretch your hair to your collarbone, then when wet you should be able to stretch it to that same point and a little bit further with no issue. If it breaks before or just beyond that point the hair probably needs more moisture. If it goes beyond that point and keeps stretching, you need more protein.

When the hair has enough protein, and you pull on it when wet, you should feel some resistance of the hair pulling back. When it doesn't pull back it needs more protein.

What I am noticing is when my hair needs protein, the breakage just sort of wraps around my fingers and it's hard to get off.

Yes! That's exactly it! It feels so weak and insubstantial when it breaks and, when my hair is dry, it feels super soft but frizzy. My hair has not felt hard or crunchy once. I've moisturised quite a bit with 24hr baggying and oils but I've also done a henna + mild overnight protein treatment (Aubrey's Organics GBP - does that count as semi-moisture because it says balancing?) which is why I'm so confused. :sad:

Last edited:

faithVA

[USER=371995 said:
laylaaa[/USER];18143805]faithVA

Yes! That's exactly it! It feels so weak and insubstantial when it breaks and, when my hair is dry, it feels super soft but frizzy. My hair has not felt hard or crunchy once. I've moisturised quite a bit with 24hr baggying and oils but I've also done a henna + mild overnight protein treatment (Aubrey's Organics GBP - does that count as semi-moisture because it says balancing?) which is why I'm so confused. :sad:

Neither the henna nor the GBP are protein treatments. You may be out of balancing since you are doing a lot of moisturizing but not really any real protein. Do you have any protein treatments in your stash?

I like the ION products but currently using the 4 Naturals Reconstructor which I like. Hana Kuroi is using the Millcreek. ShescentIt Okra is supposed to be good. Others: Giovanni NutraFix, Aphogee 2 min

laylaaa

faithVA

Neither the henna nor the GBP are protein treatments. You may be out of balancing since you are doing a lot of moisturizing but not really any real protein. Do you have any protein treatments in your stash?

I like the ION products but currently using the 4 Naturals Reconstructor which I like. Hana Kuroi is using the Millcreek. ShescentIt Okra is supposed to be good. Others: Giovanni NutraFix, Aphogee 2 min

Oh dear.

It just dawned on me that I actually haven't been doing protein treatments, just ones that are kinda sorta but not really protein. No wonder! :wallbash:

I don't have access to most of the ones you mentioned because they don't sell them here but I do have Aphogee 2-step, Aphogee 2 min (has mineral oil, not too keen) and SM Anti-Breakage. This is a serious lightbulb moment for me haha, thank you so much!! :)

LivingDoll

I just checked a stray hair on my blouse to see if it was a shed hair or a broken hair...I had to do a double take. The bulb on the end was sooooo small I almost missed it! I wonder how many shed hairs I've seen before and thought were breakage because I didn't see the bulb.

faithVA

[USER=371995 said:
laylaaa[/USER];18143965]faithVA

Oh dear.

It just dawned on me that I actually haven't been doing protein treatments, just ones that are kinda sorta but not really protein. No wonder! :wallbash:

I don't have access to most of the ones you mentioned because they don't sell them here but I do have Aphogee 2-step, Aphogee 2 min (has mineral oil, not too keen) and SM Anti-Breakage. This is a serious lightbulb moment for me haha, thank you so much!! :)

Do you have a Sally's? I wouldn't consider any Shea Moisture product a true protein treatment but I haven't used it.

Do you think you need the Aphogee 2-step? Is that something you have used before? It is a serious protein treatment where the others are milder. I would think more of a reconstructor vs. a hard protein.

laylaaa

faithVA

Do you have a Sally's? I wouldn't consider any Shea Moisture product a true protein treatment but I haven't used it.

Do you think you need the Aphogee 2-step? Is that something you have used before? It is a serious protein treatment where the others are milder. I would think more of a reconstructor vs. a hard protein.

Sadly, no. There aren't any Sally's in London!

Yeah, I think I do. I've used it twice before. Around Christmas, then again in early February and now it's basically April so I am probably due. Would you recommend a reconstructor instead?

faithVA

faithVA

Sadly, no. There aren't any Sally's in London!

Yeah, I think I do. I've used it twice before. Around Christmas, then again in early February and now it's basically April so I am probably due. Would you recommend a reconstructor instead?

If your hair works fine with the two step go for it. It is usually too harsh for a lot of heads. You may just want to put yourself on a protein treatment schedule. You may need a hard protein treatment and maybe a lighter protein in between or cut down on the baggying.

laylaaa

faithVA

If your hair works fine with the two step go for it. It is usually too harsh for a lot of heads. You may just want to put yourself on a protein treatment schedule. You may need a hard protein treatment and maybe a lighter protein in between or cut down on the baggying.

Just to update you. :) I did the Aphogee 2 step last night and the breakage really came to a stand still. Lately, my hair has been very very wavy (moving into type 2) but, since doing the A2S, I've got defined, strong curls. DC'ing right now because it's definitely a hardcore treatment but it feels so good to be balanced again! Thank you! <3

faithVA

faithVA

Just to update you. :) I did the Aphogee 2 step last night and the breakage really came to a stand still. Lately, my hair has been very very wavy (moving into type 2) but, since doing the A2S, I've got defined, strong curls. DC'ing right now because it's definitely a hardcore treatment but it feels so good to be balanced again! Thank you! <3

You are welcome. I've just started using protein so I'm sort of on protein bandwagon right now :lol:

Glad it is working for you.

faithVA

So happy haha. :grin:

What do you mean by protein treatment schedule? Is that just a weekly reconstructor?

Yeah I just mean decide how often you are going to use protein and what kind. Everyone does something different. Some people do every other week, some once a month, some only after they relax, etc. Some people only do it when they think their hair feels a certain way.

It just means to decide when you are going to do it so you don't forget and you keep your hair balanced.

hnntrr

Just flat ironed my hair. A lot of little broken pieces/shedding (probably cause I havnt used a brush or done a tea rinse in awhile) Looks like some bit broke off on my relaxed ends...but thats kinda okay? Cause my hair is much thicker and my ends don't look so scraggly. Not sure if its complete breakage or not when I take down tomorrow we will see.

I blow dried flat ironed and my hair still felt soft and cool to the touch so I dont think there will be any major heat damage. M/Sed with shea moisture creme and jojoba oil. Kinda sat on my hair weird but hoping that my hair has a chance to soak the oil and moisture in and still be nice and wispy in the morning. Probably going to pony and bun the rest of the week.

Planning on washing again next saturday, and doing another protein treatment before going into twists for hopefully 2 months. Ill do a length check tomorrow but I dont think I have much to show for the month.

abcd09

I'm still hoping to do this challenge, but I don't think I can be official because I'm very very hesitant on posting my pic. If I actually do get two inches, ill post for a few, but I'm a little paranoid lately. :ohwell:

I'm planning on burning five days a week, prepoo, shampoo with conditioning poo, dc, roller set. Taking down the bun on weekends to have sexy hair for my fella. I may try njoy's hair growth concoction and do that challenge till December, which will really keep me out of my hair. I also won't trim till beginning of June.

Channy31

More and more convinced my hair grows 3/4 - an inch a month.

I just wonder if this has always happened?
But since Jan my hair has grown 3-4 inches and I've trimmed a little too.

faithVA

No progress pics for me. Pulled the front and it was still in the same spot so didn't want to go through all the effort of taking pictures for no progress.

Will just hold out until June.

charmtreese

Wrong thread! Sorry I can't remove pic with my iPad.

Attachments

• image-4046268833.jpg
    image-4046268833.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:

HanaKuroi

I can tell I have had growth. I don't know how much.

I never did add my starting picture. The protein has really made a difference.

faithVA

I can tell I have had growth. I don't know how much.

I never did add my starting picture. The protein has really made a difference.

:spank: You need a starting picture. Talking about how long your hair is in June is not enough :nono: