2013 COWASH CHALLENGE THREAD (1/1/13-3/31/13)

Diva_Esq

Okay Ladies, let's start 2013 with a Cowashing BANG!
:woohoo: We're going for maximum length retention, lush, thick ends and healthy, moisturized tresses!!!​

Grow your hair and retain inches by joining the 2013 Cowash Challenge Part 4! This Challenge will run in segments as follows:
Part 1: January 1st –March 31st
Part 2: April 1st – June 30th
Part 3: July 1st – September 30th
Part 4: October 1st - December 31st

With that, let's grow, grow, grow!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:dance7:Part I of this challenge will begin on January 1, 2013 and ends on March 31, 2013!! :dance7:The entire challenge will be complete on December 31, 2013! Kudos to those who will rejoin us from last year! Welcome to our newer challengers!​

RULES:
Cowash at least 1x/wkly. More if you'd like!
Report what conditioners you used and how your hair is responding.​

MUST:
Post a starting pic and ending pic.​

MUST ANSWER THE FOLLOWING:
State of hair (relaxed, natural, etc.)?
Current hair length:
Hair goal?
How many times per week will you cowash?
What conditioners are you planning to use?
What do you hope to achieve by cowashing?
How often (if ever) will you use shampoo?​

You can join by answering the questions in a post and posting a starting pic & tagging me in the thread or by PMing me. :grin::yep: I will acknowledge by tagging you in the initial post on this thread in the challengers list and thanking your post.​

Feel free to ask questions, share videos, recommend products and discuss all other things helpful regarding cowashing!​

Last edited:

Diva_Esq

State of hair (relaxed, natural, etc.)? Natural since 2010
Current hair length: WL
Hair goal? HL
How many times per week will you cowash? 5-7x/ week
What conditioners are you planning to use? Aussie Moist 3 Minute Miracle, Paul Mitchell The Conditioner
What do you hope to achieve by cowashing? retention, moisture, healthy hair, shine, manageability
How often (if ever) will you use shampoo? No more than once a month...most likely less

Starting pic

Babygrowth

I'm in!

State of hair (relaxed, natural, etc.)? Texlaxed/relaxed
Current hair length: EL/NL
Hair goal? APL
How many times per week will you cowash? 1-2x
What conditioners are you planning to use? Shescentit Avocado and honey rinse conditioners, Hydroquench systems Coco lime and strawberry lime, a lil Hello Hydration, as I am coconut cowash, and more to come as I buy them
What do you hope to achieve by cowashing? Growth, moisture, length retention
How often (if ever) will you use shampoo? 1x per week

Will post pic later from phone app...

APrayer4Hair

MUST ANSWER THE FOLLOWING:
State of hair (relaxed, natural, etc.)? NATURAL

Current hair length: TWA 4-5 inches

Hair goal? 2013 goal full shoulder length stretched; ultimate goal full shoulder length unstretched.

How many times per week will you cowash? 5-7x per week

What conditioners are you planning to use? I think I'll be switching to only Giovanni conditioners because I have best results from these. Will also co cleanse with as I am coco cowash and Shea moisture purification masque

What do you hope to achieve by better moisture retention, growth, overall healthy hair.

How often (if ever) will you use shampoo? Probably never

Starting Pics:

image-2061129196.jpg

image-537378193.jpg

Last edited:

alanaturelle

State of hair (relaxed, natural, etc.)? Natural
Current hair length: SL
Hair goal? APL/BSL
How many times per week will you cowash? Most definitely once and maybe twice
What conditioners are you planning to use? Suave Naturals Coconut
What do you hope to achieve by cowashing? Retention
How often (if ever) will you use shampoo? Currently, I shampoo with every wash which is every week but during winter I limit my washes to every two weeks.
I'm using the Dec 2012 pic in my siggy as my starting pic.

BGT

State of hair (relaxed, natural, etc.)? Relaxed
Current hair length: BSB, almost BSL
Hair goal? MBL by year end; I'm dusting away my thin, fine ends
How many times per week will you cowash? 2-3x per week
What conditioners are you planning to use? WEN, VO5 moisture milks
What do you hope to achieve by cowashing? More moisturized and healthy ends
How often (if ever) will you use shampoo? I clarify weekly. I have a naturally oil scalp that gets gunky.

Attachments

• image-2134382500.jpg
    image-2134382500.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 34

TheVioletVee

Stats:

Relaxed, NL
Ultimate Hair Goal: HL
Goal for this Year: APL
I will co-wash at least 2x a week.
Conditioners: TIGI Bed Head Moisture Maniac, Suave Almond & Shea Butter, L'Oreal EverCreme Intense Nourishing
I hope to increase moisture and reduce breakage.
I will shampoo every 2 weeks.

IMG_20121114_224252.jpg

Sent from my MOTWX435KT using LHCF

Diva_Esq

I deep conditioned overnight with AM3MM due to having just washed a 10 day old flat iron out. I will begin cowashing again tomorrow! EXCITEMENT! :)

TopShelf

Sewing & Growing Gamma Gal
State of hair (relaxed, natural, etc.)? Natural
Current hair length: between shoulder and APL
Hair goal? Short term goal: Full Apl/ Long term goal: Full BSL
How many times per week will you cowash? Atleast once a week but most likley 5x per week
What conditioners are you planning to use? Giovanni, Joico, Nature's Choice and whatever else I can find in my house.
What do you hope to achieve by cowashing? Moisture, retention, less split ends
How often (if ever) will you use shampoo? maybe once a month but I I am trying to only do the betonite clay masks

My hair as of 12/31/12:

Today:
cowashed todaywith joico conditioner in the brown bottle and the giovanni in the green bottle (sorry I can't remember the names). Applied some leave to the braid shaft then sealed with safflower oil. Massaged my scalp with Jojoba, avocado, and peppermint oil.

I will most likely be doing this all week.

Blessed&higlyflavoured

State of hair Natural With slight damage to the ends
Current hair length: shoulder length
Hair goal? Short term Arm pit length, Long term mid back length
How many times per week will you cowash? Every day 'cept Sunday
What conditioners are you planning to use? Herbal Essences Breakage Defender
What do you hope to achieve by cowashing? More Balanced hair,
How often (if ever) will you use shampoo? Once a week on Sundays with elasta qp creme conditioning shampoo ( I love this stuff with a passion) deep condition with aphogee 2 min + ors replenishing pak for moisture

Babygrowth

State of hair Natural With slight damage to the ends
Current hair length: shoulder length
Hair goal? Short term Arm pit length, Long term mid back length
How many times per week will you cowash? Every day 'cept Sunday
What conditioners are you planning to use? Herbal Essences Breakage Defender
What do you hope to achieve by cowashing? More Balanced hair,
How often (if ever) will you use shampoo? Once a week on Sundays with elasta qp creme conditioning shampoo ( I love this stuff with a passion) deep condition with aphogee 2 min + ors replenishing pak for moisture

Elasta QP creme shampoo is the only reason I wash my hair weekly! I share your passion! Idk what I was doing before I found this shampoo!

alanaturelle

I had my first cowash of 2013 this morning. I used Suave Naturals Coconut and my scalp felt awesome. I was concerned that it might not have time to dry before I can put my wig but no it was dry by the time I had to put my wig on. That was one concern that I had with cowashing but now I can totally do more than once a week, :yep:

Honeytips

Please add me to this challenge :yep:

State of hair (relaxed, natural, etc.)? natural
Current hair length: Shoulder length
Hair goal? APL
How many times per week will you cowash? 2x on the weeks when I have in twists and 1x when I'm wearing twist outs
What conditioners are you planning to use? Tresemme Naturals, Vo5 Moisture Elixer and whatever else I currently have in my stash that needs to used up (Mane and Tail conditioner, Aussie 3 mins conditioner and Pantene Naturals)
What do you hope to achieve by cowashing? Growth, moisture, length retention and hopefully thickness
How often (if ever) will you use shampoo? Not planning on using shampoo at all if I can help it :grin:

I've attached my starting pic

Attachments

• hair 17.12.12.jpg
    hair 17.12.12.jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:

Aggie

I cowash daily so I'm in. I am currnetly using vo5 Moisture Milks conditioners. I think they can no longer be found in the Bahamas so I may have to look for another brand to use, like Tressemme and Suave. I really liked vo5 too.

Redken Smooth Down is awesome as a cowash but cost a lttle more than I am willing to pay for a daily conditioner. Plus it has cones in it and I don't want to use cones daily on my hair. Hmmm, I may have to make a conditioner of aloe vera juice, evco/evoo and glycerine:scratchch.

Aggie

By the way, I am very lightly texlaxed, CBL, and I cowash daily for thickness and moisture retention. Length is actually not that important to me at this time.

I shampoo my hair about once a week and clarify it every 2-3 weeks. Oh I almost forgot, another conditioner I am considering using is Herbal Essences as long as it is a moisturizing one:yep:.

Nix08

Relaxed, 4B
State of hair (relaxed, natural, etc.)? Relaxed
Current hair length:BSL-ish..I don't really care until I reach WL
Hair goal?WL or HL
How many times per week will you cowash? up to 7 (often skip a day due to fatigue)
What conditioners are you planning to use?AOHSR (0-5 weeks post) AORM (5+) weeks post
What do you hope to achieve by cowashing? consistent hair...moisture/protein/elasticity/growth/overall health
How often (if ever) will you use shampoo? as desired down to about once every 3 weeks to a month now.

Honeytips

Last night I cowashed with my Vo5 Moisture Elixir because I thought that my smelt a bit off (mixture of sweat from the gym that day and a batch of aloe vera juice that I think went off)
Thinking that I might up my co-washes to 3x a week when I'm in twists :yep:

nemi95

I got the most growth from co-washing, but I've noticed it gives me back acne. I can't switch up my soap to a blemish fighting one because I have sensitive skin. Does anyone else get this?

NJoy

Here I grow again!
Diva_Esq

State of hair (relaxed, natural, etc.)? Natural since 9/18/12

Current hair length: BSL

Hair goal? HL

How many times per week will you cowash? 5-7x/ week

What conditioners are you planning to use? Aussie Moist, Tresemme Naturals, V05 Tea Therapy, MillCreek Biotin condish

What do you hope to achieve by cowashing? retention, moisture, healthy hair, shine, manageability, healthy scalp

How often (if ever) will you use shampoo? Non sls, scalp-only weekly; clarify every 6-8wks

Starting pic:

Attachments

• 2013start.jpg
    2013start.jpg
    15.5 KB · Views: 41

jesusislove1526

Back in again! Here are my stats:

State of hair (relaxed, natural, etc.)? natural!
Current hair length: grazing MBL
Hair goals? 2013: WL/grazing WHIP---2014: HL
How many times per week will you cowash? 2x per week during the colder months, 3x per week during the warmer months
What conditioners are you planning to use? VO5 Moisture Milks, White Rain Hydrating, Suave Naturals, VO5 Clarifying, Suave Daily Clarifying
What do you hope to achieve by cowashing? moisture, retention, healthy ends, growth
How often (if ever) will you use shampoo? Once every 6 weeks in between mini braid sets

I will use the clarifying conditioners once every 2 weeks while my mini braids are in.
My starting pics are in my signature. They were taken on 12-29-12.

Last edited:

jessicarabbit

I'm definitely in :)

THE FOLLOWING:
State of hair (relaxed, natural, etc.)?
RELAXED

Current hair length:
BSB

Hair goal?
MY FINAL GOAL IS WSL. END OF YEAR GOAL IS MBL

How many times per week will you cowash?

What conditioners are you planning to use?
SHEA MOISTURE RESTORATIVE CONDITIONER

What do you hope to achieve by cowashing?
ACCELERATED GROWTH, RETENTION AND LESS BREAKAGE

How often (if ever) will you use shampoo?
1x PER WEEK (ORS CREAMY ALOE)

Starting pic:

image-1471439304.jpg

And yes I know I need a trim lol. I'll get one at next relaxer (march 1)

jessicarabbit

I got the most growth from co-washing, but I've noticed it gives me back acne. I can't switch up my soap to a blemish fighting one because I have sensitive skin. Does anyone else get this?

Have u tried using a natural conditioner like Shea moisture or other? They don't contain the ingredients that irritate your skin. (I have the same problem). Also, maybe try exfoliating your back at every shower.

jessicarabbit

Cowashed this morning (and every morning since 1-1-13) with Shea moisture restorative conditioner. Did LOC method, oiled scalp with castor/rosemary, wet bunned, and tied my edges down with scarf.

I lovvvvveeee cowashing!! (Just thought I'd say that lol)