2016 Hair Growth & Weight Loss (july-dec)

Beany

*whispers* I fit into a size 4 pair of jeans this week.
I still want to tighten up my midsection/waist though.

I'm gonna stick with phase one of the 17 day diet until Christmas (I will cheat for Thanksgiving because I'm making gumbo lol). I WILL make time to work out for the next 6 weeks. Amen. I'm trying to be svelte when I visit family for Christmas.

assiyrabomb

Just checking in. I've done really well taking care of my hair. I have been in a sew in since Oct 1. I try to moisturize my hair often. I washed it yesterday making sure to clean my scalp and hair underneath. I'll prob keep this in for another month or so since the weave is in excellent condition. I have also been taking biotin but I'm going to lower the dose since I started noticing bumps on my face. Either way I can't wait to see how much my hair has grown once I take it out.

As for my weight, that's a while other beast... I'm going to get back on eating right starting today.

trclemons

Just checking in. I've done really well taking care of my hair. I have been in a sew in since Oct 1. I try to moisturize my hair often. I washed it yesterday making sure to clean my scalp and hair underneath. I'll prob keep this in for another month or so since the weave is in excellent condition. I have also been taking biotin but I'm going to lower the dose since I started noticing bumps on my face. Either way I can't wait to see how much my hair has grown once I take it out.

As for my weight, that's a while other beast... I'm going to get back on eating right starting today.
I feel you. It is a breeze for me to stick with my haircare routine, but maintaining an exercise and weight loss routine is quite a challenge.

assiyrabomb

I made a hibiscus and coconut DC tonight (I pretty much make all of my own haircare products now). It has hibiscus flower powder (hence the reddish color), coconut oil and smells just like coconuts. I plan on using it on my daughters hair tomorrow since I'm still in a weave.

Just wanted to share.

Attachments

• IMG_3337.JPG
    IMG_3337.JPG
    171.3 KB · Views: 6

W04andia

HAIR
My hair is growing well in my crochet braids. It's been about two weeks in this set and I want to go till the end of 2016 with these. It's very convenient for working out, also.
After these braids, I'd like to baby my hair and bun for about a month. I'll probably let my hair out to play for my birthday, then go right back into protective styling (might do crochet twists).

WEIGHT

I've decided I want to slow my weight loss right down. I'm finding myself obsessing over my weight loss, and it's not healthy. As a student I have a lot of other things to do than stress over my weight.
Other reasons are that I like eating closer to maintenance and I also don't want my skin to loosen too much (not that I think it would in any case, but let's not tempt fate!), nor do I want to lose too much lean mass.
I also want my weight loss to be through a permanent lifestyle change.
So....I'm giving myself a year to lose these 35 pounds.
Yes, that works out to less than a pound a week (it's actually about two thirds of a pound a week) ...but I'd rather be satisfied and see the scale go down slowly than ravenous and binge-y and not actually see the scale go down at all despite frantic efforts.

I'm focusing on lifting to shape my body, as well as a clean diet with a lot less sugar.
Sugar is my downfall, but nobody is putting it in my mouth but me lol!

Anyways, I hope you ladies (and gents?) are doing well,

w04andia

Last edited:

W04andia

I made a hibiscus and coconut DC tonight (I pretty much make all of my own haircare products now). It has hibiscus flower powder (hence the reddish color), coconut oil and smells just like coconuts. I plan on using it on my daughters hair tomorrow since I'm still in a weave.

Just wanted to share.

That looks great!

BellaRose

@assiyrabomb What does the hibiscus do in the conditioner?

UPDATE: I got the cold this week and i didn't have an appetite. I only ate fruits, soup and drank water so far. I ate bbq today to try to break the phase. Bad idea. Stomach burned after eating it and couldn't even eat all. So yeah... shall continue with my fruits and water til Sunday and incorporate some vegetables and fish. I saw I weighed 68.4kg on my scale, a few ounces less. Is this a bad idea with the fruits and water? Hair wise in two strand twists for the second week. To get new style this Sunday too.

assiyrabomb

@assiyrabomb What does the hibiscus do in the conditioner?

UPDATE: I got the cold this week and i didn't have an appetite. I only ate fruits, soup and drank water so far. I ate bbq today to try to break the phase. Bad idea. Stomach burned after eating it and couldn't even eat all. So yeah... shall continue with my fruits and water til Sunday and incorporate some vegetables and fish. I saw I weighed 68.4kg on my scale, a few ounces less. Is this a bad idea with the fruits and water? Hair wise in two strand twists for the second week. To get new style this Sunday too.

Hibiscus helps to prevent hair loss and encourages a healthy scalp. Some other benefits (taken from CurlyNikki):
  • prevents hair loss
  • prevents premature graying
  • lessens frizz
  • promotes hair growth
  • gives hair a boost of shine and bounce
  • helps balance the pH of the scalp
  • reduces redness, scalping and itching of the scalp
  • works like an astringent to reduce the oiliness of hair
  • discourages split ends

YvetteWithJoy

On break
Hair update:
Regimen is finally NAILED, as discussed here at the Nail Your Regimen thread. Hair is doing well. Feeling BLESSED! I'm in love with my hair and it is so manageable. Yay!!!!!!! :smile:

In a few days I'm going into the salon to get a length check. Since I don't plan to post at LHCF until December (I'm on a social media hiatus to focus on fitness and family, and this is a quick break), I'll post pictures and details at my blog (link shared below).

Fitness update:
Because my hair regimen is on lock, I have been able now to GO IN on health and fitness. Thank you, Father!
I have detoxed with Essence of Vitality (that went SWIMMINGLY and I feel amazing). I'm exercising 6 days a week. I'm doing a healthy, clean eating plan. Inches already lost. Pounds already lost. :smile: I am stronger and have greater flexibility, too, already! :smile: Flexibility is the third leg of fitness that sometimes gets forgotten, so I'm trying to make sure to give it its proper time/priority.

I am chronicling my personal body/spirit/hair challenge here: https://blossomingfitnatural.wordpress.com

It's on!

Godspeed with your hair and weight goals, ladies! Let's keep each other encouraged and focused on health along with our hair. I'm hoping I can stay balanced now that I've figured out my hair: Hair is important. Body and health are very important.

Many blessings. Until December, when I log back in again. Take care!

Last edited:

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
I still have an issue with binge eating occasionally, but my weight has gone down a bit more. I weighed in at 160 yesterday

BellaRose

I'm doing Jackie Warner's 30 day Fast Start now. Doing one day upper body next day lower body and abs then rest the following day. So doing this for 30 sessions which will take me to 2nd January. I am no longer looking at weight loss but just want to be active. I think by taking my mind off losing weight and focusing on being active will be more successful for me. Will be walking more during my lunch time also. Trimmed my ends last week so im good for now.

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
There are 6 weeks remaining in this year. My plan from today until NYE is to alternate upper body (odd days) and lower body (even days) exercises. My goal is to lose 6 more lbs by the end of the year and lose an inch from my thighs and waist.

strenght81

Update: I joined weight watchers and scheduled an appointment with a nutritionist. I lost 10 pounds a few months a go and put the weight back on due to inconsistency. I will get it right. I'm definitely not discouraged. I'm motivated to do better. I'm so excited about this journey.

My hair is flourishing with the exception of my crown breakage. Many years ago an african stylist did my braids and I have had problems since then. I need tips on how to grow my crown and prevent breakage. 2017 is my year. I'm elated for my future.

BellaRose

Ok, so in the end I failed the weight loss. My work schedule and school projects really messed up my workout schedule. So i stopped exercise. My hair was in crochet braids for the month of December after getting a trim. I believe i grew half inch. The back is touching BSL and the front is APL. The new year will be much better for me.

YvetteWithJoy

On break
Hi, all! Until we get a 2017 thread, I'll post here.

Weight
Thanksgiving was problematic for my weight: I gained back the 7 or so pounds I'd worked so hard to lose. By talking about it with my main supporters (husband and mom), I was able to keep from getting discouraged by it. They were very praising of my efforts and helped me see it could have been worse.

I was determined to avoid this during Christmas and New Years. To prep, I did a modified version of The 7-Day Cabbage Soup Diet as discussed at the DivasCanCook website. I chronicled my experiences at the Hip-Tailbone 2017 thread. I lost weight, ate extremely healthy, drank lots of water, and exercised.

I decided upon Paleo eating for 2017. I just can't manage the eating schedule of The Abs Diet. Though I violated Paleo eating plan while on vacation and during the holidays, prepping via the cabbage diet along with eating lots of salads is keeping everything in check. Everything is still pretty small!

Hair
Had to get a major trim. I can no longer wear my low-hanging ponytail puff that, oddly, performed like a protective style for me and made haircare soooooo easy. So now I wash my hair, wear a heavily gelled twist out for a few days, transform it into a high puff, then repeat. I'm still doing the Max Hydration Method. I have been settling into Jakeala products. I am looking forward to trialing The Mane Choice Ancient Egyptian line to see if I can reduce online ordering. As of 2016, Komaza Care's Protein, Shea Moisture's hipo masque, and Soultanicals's Hair Glide feel like must buys. Jakeala's Beer Conditioner, DevaCurl's Ultra Defining Gel, and NetWurks spray and custard perform very well. I'm excited to see how healthy I can keep my hair in 2017.

BellaRose

Hi guys! All the best for 2017!!!

To start off the year, I am taking some free self defense classes for January up to Carnival (Trinidad) in February. I am also combining that with walking the 14 flights of stairs to get to my office. Major leg and lung burn. lol. Will be doing that for the time being. Drinking more water, eating less snacks.

BellaRose

Oh and my hair is braided at the root and twisted the length and styled in a canerow/cornrow down the back of my head. Will try to keep this in for the month. Moisturise and seal every other day and wash once a week.

**Will weigh myself this morning to see where I'm starting.

YvetteWithJoy

On break
Oh and my hair is braided at the root and twisted the length and styled in a canerow/cornrow down the back of my head. Will try to keep this in for the month. Moisturise and seal every other day and wash once a week.

**Will weigh myself this morning to see where I'm starting.

Do you want to check with the original poster about making a new, 2017 thread? Either she or you could do it. :smile:

Aggie

Ok, so in the end I failed the weight loss. My work schedule and school projects really messed up my workout schedule. So i stopped exercise. My hair was in crochet braids for the month of December after getting a trim. I believe i grew half inch. The back is touching BSL and the front is APL. The new year will be much better for me.
@BellaRose

I had the same problem except mine was over working and now that I have some semblance of normalcy, I can get back to my exercise routines and weight loss goals. I believe I have time to prepare my own meals instead of ordering take out all the time

HappyAtLast

Simplicity & Peacefulness
Yep, me too. Sorry, I actually see I should have tagged @BellaRose about hosting. I misread the post! I'm in, just can't host.

I will (try to make sure to) participate heavily if someone else hosts. I'm participating in 3 personal/financial challenges and 3 hair challenges, and that's got me a little LHCF-full, if you know what I mean.

I love this thread's focus and would post to a 2017 one for sure. :smile:

Aggie

If no one wants to start a new thread, I'm quite happy hanging right in here. I certainly don't mind. I don't want to host a thread either.

Aggie

Day 7 of my inversions is complete, no oil, no massage, inverted for 4 minutes. Plus I moisturized my ends with APB Ayurvedic Hair Cream.