2017 Bsl/mbl Challenge

YvetteWithJoy

On break
Excellent progress ladies!

I'd like to join for this last quarter of 2017.

The rules are PERFECT for me at the moment!

Rules:
1. Drink water:
I currently get at minimum 32 ounces plus a large cup of tea. I need to increase this by simply committing to finishing my portable filter water bottle ONCE before noon and then again before bed.

2. Eat clean (whole foods): I am currently following a vegan diet and feeling amazing. Will likely transition to pesco-vegan eventually.

3. Keep your ends moisturized: I am currently doing so using Jakeala's Shea Amla Parfait under EarthTones Naturals Gelly and LOVING it. :drool:

4. Wash or cowash/DC weekly: I wash every 5-7 days, just depending on how dry/shrunken my hair is. :yep:

The products and tools I use in my ayurvedic hair regimen are shown in my signature below.

Basic regimen is to every 5-7 days:
  1. Section hair with 6-10 Goody updo barrettes (recommended and sold by Kimmaytube at her website)
  2. Prepoo with DC (such as Pure O.N.E. Beauty's Red Palm Oil and Hibiscus Mud Prepoo Mask) and detangle with KareCo Tangle Buster brush
  3. Rinse or cleanse scalp and strands with Soultanicals Soulvedic Poo Bar or sometimes just water (chelate once a month)
  4. Deep condition with Soultanicals Afrotastic Curl Elastic (apply Colorful Neutral Protein Filler underneath when needed)
  5. Hydrate with aloe Vera juice
  6. Seal with Jakeala's Shea Amla Parfait :drool:
  7. Style with EarthTones Natural Gelly
  8. Apply Asha & Miel Edge Genesis to edges and massage in for 3 minutes or so
  9. Wear a ponytailed puff, elongated wash and go, twist out, or Conair Wave Clips set
5. Massage scalp > once a week: I am working my way up to using my scalp massager to massage in my DIY CurlyProverbz Ayurvedic Hair Growth oil on Sundays, Tuesdays, and Fridays. I also use Etsy's Asha and Miel's Edge Genesis on my edges and massage that in.

6. Post starting pic

August 28, 2017
Right: Currently is about 11 and 1/4 inches . . . December 31, 2017 goal is 12 and 1/4 inches, minimally. :smile:
Back: Currently is about 11 and 1/2 inches . . . December 31, 2017 goal is 12 and 1/2 inches, minimally. :smile:

WP_20170828_004 - Copy.jpg

WP_20170828_015 - Copy.jpg

NCHairDiva

WAIST LENGTH 2019
Im starting over a bit. Im doing a Challenge within a Challenge. My plan is to do 90 days of protective styling and using CP growth oil. Im gonna get the oil ready over the next cpl of days.
Here is a pic of where I am.... What length do you all think it is?

Attachments

• 20170901_232212.png
    20170901_232212.png
    415.3 KB · Views: 77

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
Im starting over a bit. Im doing a Challenge within a Challenge. My plan is to do 90 days of protective styling and using CP growth oil. Im gonna get the oil ready over the next cpl of days.
Mbl closing in on waist. Congrats!! I'm looking forward to everyone's end of year progress :clapping:

NCHairDiva

WAIST LENGTH 2019
Mbl closing in on waist. Congrats!! I'm looking forward to everyone's end of year progress :clapping:

I can wait to get to Waist Length. Its be a long journey and to be honest I dont even feel like Im Mbl. I dont get to do anything with my hair. Its been in protective styles from the start. I dont get to enjoy it. I do think I will start to wear my hair at least 1x a week once I reach my goals.
Thank you all for the amazing support. Please continue to encourage eachother!

I Am So Blessed

I'm easy going.
I can wait to get to Waist Length. Its be a long journey and to be honest I dont even feel like Im Mbl. I dont get to do anything with my hair. Its been in protective styles from the start. I dont get to enjoy it. I do think I will start to wear my hair at least 1x a week once I reach my goals.
Thank you all for the amazing support. Please continue to encourage eachother!
I don't feel like I'm MBL either lol. I don't think I'll feel truly MBL until I'm hip length. That's the coily/kinky life.

apple_natural

@Bunnyhaslonghair well... I had oil on it already so I thought that was going work. Don't laugh. I don't know what kind of heat protectant to use

Also, I did turn up the flat iron, so that I didn't have to do more passes and I think I forgot that I turned it up. I don't remember doing any less that I have before - 2 or 3.

Last edited:

Daina

@Bunnyhaslonghair well... I had oil on it already so I thought that was going work. Don't laugh. I don't know what kind of heat protectant to use

Also, I did turn up the flat iron, so that I didn't have to do more passes and I think I forgot that I turned it up. I don't remember doing any less that I have before - 2 or 3.

Do a couple of protein treatments and I would try an elasticizer. Personally I like Philip Kingsley elasticizer. It's pricey but very worth it. It may take some babying but all might not be lost. You have to be very careful flat ironing hair with oil on it. You are literally cooking the hair. I love IC Fantasia in the pinkish bottle, it's a great heat protectant and smells nice as well. Good luck and I pray your curls return.

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
I straightened just two pieces of hair a few days ago. Finally got around to washing my hair and guess what pieces didn't curl up:crybaby::crybaby:

I'm sad.
I just randomly did a prepoo with Aphogee 2 minute reconstructor and it seemed to reverse my bkt a bit. My hair was more coily and springy than usual. I applied it to dry hair in sections and I saturated every strand. I used about 2 oz. Protein and ceramides usually bring the curls back.

apple_natural

• A couple of protein treatments
  • An elasticizer - Philip Kingsley elasticizer
  • Some babying
  • IC Fantasia in the pinkish bottle
  • Aphogee 2 minute reconstructor applied it to dry hair in sections and I saturated every strand. I used about 2 oz.
  • Protein and ceramides usually bring the curls back.

THANK YOU LADIES! !!
Now, I have two prescriptions! I'll try to get all this stuff.

I completely forgot how to straighten hair because I haven't really straightened it but a few times in the past 5 years.. because when I do its some sort of disaster.

I did straighten the front perimeter this year and that part is missing Plus, I wore a wig. The comb of which I believe contributed to the front breakage.

I saved a video a million years ago of a girl's straightening method. I watched it today. I did none of the stuff on there

YvetteWithJoy

On break
My ends are in need of a very tiny trim. I don't wanna go to the salon. :cry: And I'm not ready to tackle learning self-trimming.

Normal thinning and SSKs need to be removed. My gut is telling me to find an old stylist of mine, Jenny.

In the meanwhile, I'm DCing with an old sample pack of a ceramide-heavy SM DC I've never tried--something grapeseed in purple packaging.

I'm in an asymmetrical wavy wig while my twists are DCing underneath.

WP_20170907_008.jpg

Last edited:

faithVA

My ends are in need of a very tiny trim. I don't wanna go to the salon. :cry: And I'm not ready to tackle learning self-trimming.

Normal thinning and SSKs need to be removed. My gut is telling me to find an old stylist of mine, Jenny.

In the meanwhile, I'm DCing with an old sample pack of a ceramide-heavy SM DC I've never tried--something grapeseed in purple packaging.

I'm in an asymmetrical wavy wig while my twists are DCing underneath.

View attachment 410023
Self trim. Its not that hard. Put your hair in twist as small as you feel ike being bothered with. Take the twist down after they set. Trim the bottom 8th, quarter or half inch as you see fit.

Since you wear your hair natural it will be even enough .

apple_natural

i did trim my hair within the last week. i'm not sure if i noted that here. i didn't straighten it first. It was sort of stretched from old twists. I just pulled each section and clipped as I deemed necessary.

i have just been wearing my hair in a nappy bun. i'll at least try to make it look neat tonight for tomorrow

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
It's finally wash day. I skipped my wash Friday, so it has been a whole week. My scalp didn't itch or anything, but that reversion was not cute. I looked like I was transitioning... I looked 99 weeks post :lachen::lachen::lachen:

My half fro was not a good look. I couldn't even cover my edges with a headband, because they were all packed up. Needless to say I am glad to wash and straighten my hair today. And I'm even happier that I bought more Thermasmooth conditioner.

shanelallyn30

How tall are you if you don't mind me asking?

Tefnut

Sorry that it happened to you.

I had this happen back in 2008/2009 when I had the flatiron too high and was impatient trying to see my BSL/MBL progress. Maybe after conditioning sessions with protein and some TLC it'll revert.

Stay away from the flatirons sis. You've come too far to risk a setback.

I straightened just two pieces of hair a few days ago. Finally got around to washing my hair and guess what pieces didn't curl up:crybaby::crybaby:

I'm sad.

Evolving78

Hey ladies!
I would like to join this challenge!
I'm knocking on APL's door,
So I'm ready to get on BSL train!
I wash and deep condition my hair 2 a week.
I use heat weekly
I may start working on twistout sets and roller setting.
I wear low manipulation styles
I want to be more consistent with taking vitamins.
I will come back with a current pic.
Here is one from earlier this month

Attachments

• IMG_8370.JPG
    IMG_8370.JPG
    954 KB · Views: 38

Evolving78

@shortdub78 our regimens are very similar. I wash and dc twice a week and I use heat too. Instead of relaxers I use keratin treatments though.

Your hair looks really thick and healthy. What products are you using?
I use Design Essentials
Oat Protein shampoo
Honey Moisture Retention shampoo
Avocado shampoo
Aguave And Lavender Shampoo
Stimulations conditioner
A&L conditioner

Silk Elements mega Moisture
Shampoo, conditioner, conditioning treatment, leave-in

Leave-ins Creme Of Nature Argan and Straight from Eden

Current oil mane choice growth oil
Avocado and sunflower oil
Mane choice split end serum on my ends

Wild growth only down my part and edges

Macadamia natural oil Line.

And Aphogee 2 min, deep moisture shampoo, balancing moisture conditioner, pro vitamin leave-in, and keratin green tea spray

I got other stuff here and there.

shanelallyn30

:cry3::cry3::cry3: Im 5'9. that means your length is shoulder length on my tall a@@. gave me hope and snatched it away. lmao . just kidding. im 3 inches from mbl or wsl I don't even know, I just know your hair seems hella long and I feel bald headed . once you meet that 15 mark your hair will be super bomb. hope to get my 3 inches by 1/1/18.

Im about 5'2" @shanelallyn30 Let me know what you think..

Tefnut

Girl, I'm 5'9 too and closing in on WL too. I'll know where I am when I take my hair down in a couple of weeks. I'm pulling out all of the stops to make sure I'm there before 12/31/2017. I know my hair has definitely been thickening up over the past few months, which is very good.

:cry3::cry3::cry3: Im 5'9. that means your length is shoulder length on my tall a@@. gave me hope and snatched it away. lmao . just kidding. im 3 inches from mbl or wsl I don't even know, I just know your hair seems hella long and I feel bald headed . once you meet that 15 mark your hair will be super bomb. hope to get my 3 inches by 1/1/18.