2017 Bsl/mbl Challenge

tashboog

I'm on Instagram
Yesterday, I also trimmed my raggedy ends. I think I've lost between 1/2 in to 1 in but my ends were really bad but I was in denial. @faithVA told me my ends were raggedy but I 'd refused to listen to her :laugh:. Last night, I also started installing my puffy twist cuz I wanted to have them in before the new year. Hopefully I'll be finished before midnight :look:.

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
Today will be my first wash post bkt. I'm trying to decide if I want to straighten it or go back to my wig for another 2 months.

Eta I decided to wash, dc and blowdry. I did a set of celies and I will wear a wig for the next 6-7 weeks. I wash, dc and redo my braids once a week.

Last edited:

HappyAtLast

Simplicity & Peacefulness
I tried the Beautiful Textures Texture Manageability System today. So far I like it. I found it easy to apply and flat iron. Afterwards I pulled out my Split-Ender, which I haven't used in a few years. Afterwards I oiled my hair lightly in coconut oil. I'm revisiting coconut oil to see if my hair will really take to it. One of the reasons stated for our hair being dry and prone to and breakage much more than other races is that because of our texture, the sebum we produce doesn't travel down to our ends. I also think we don't produce as much sebum because Latinas have curly and kinky hair too, but their hair will grow and retain out the wazoo regardless of what they do while we struggle to get past SL for the first time in our lives! :( Since coconut oil is proven to penetrate the hair shaft, I figure I'd give it a try straight up before applying a leave in. So we'll see! Tomorrow I'm going to pick up Eden Bodyworks Coconut Shea leave-in to see how my hair likes it.

I'm 15 weeks post, and I'm starting to experiment with these amino acid and keratin treatments to forgo texlaxing. Humidity is my nemesis. When I was all natural, the tiniest hint of humidity would make my braidouts look like I got into a fight - and lost! When I'm stretching my relaxer, the new growth looks like an afro with strings attached when humidity reared its ugly head. A lot of reviews I read about the TMS said their hair held up very well in humidity, so we'll see!

(Sorry, no pics. I was tired!). Eta: I used temp 380 and did 2 passes on new growth and 1 pass on relaxed hair.

Last edited:

Caramel74

Continuing my usual regimen except for being more aware of product buildup as I use Infusium leave-in conditioner and seal w argan oil every time I take a shower. Sometimes I just rinse instead of cowash. Since I took that last inch off the ends, I'd like to retain more by doing my best to make sure my ends don't get ratty. I've noticed my detangling is better and I'm loosing way less hair because I parted with that inch. Three inches in total within 3 months, waited two months before I took another inch. I want to stop cutting now though....

It helps to keep a log of it w how much off and when (exact dates and inches or if it's less than 3/4 of an inch it can be a microtrim).

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
Continuing my usual regimen except for being more aware of product buildup as I use Infusium leave-in conditioner and seal w argan oil every time I take a shower. Sometimes I just rinse instead of cowash. Since I took that last inch off the ends, I'd like to retain more by doing my best to make sure my ends don't get ratty. I've noticed my detangling is better and I'm loosing way less hair because I parted with that inch. Three inches in total within 3 months, waited two months before I took another inch. I want to stop cutting now though....

It helps to keep a log of it w how much off and when.
I keep up with my trims in the trim/dust check in thread. Otherwise I would forget the details. I trimmed a total of 2.5 inches this year. That's a lot considering my less than average growth rate.

Caramel74

I keep up with my trims in the trim/dust check in thread. Otherwise I would forget the details. I trimmed a total of 2.5 inches this year. That's a lot considering my less than average growth rate.
I know it has to be done though or we end up retaining less. You're getting almost an inch though lately right because of a certain product? I thought I read that. :)

I just have a notepad document in my Billie's Docs w a folder called hair trims. I have to get my nerd on or I'm not happy, lol.

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
I know it has to be done though or we end up retaining less. You're getting almost an inch though lately right because of a certain product? I thought I read that. :)

I just have a notepad document in my Billie's Docs w a folder called hair trims. I have to get my nerd on or I'm not happy, lol.
Yes! I got a good growth spurt in November and the first part of this month. I took a break and wore my hair straight after I did the bkt.

I'm looking forward to my growth next year. I'm just going to take it 1 day at a time...1 week at a time and 1 month at a time.

Caramel74

Yes! I got a good growth spurt in November and the first part of this month. I took a break and wore my hair straight after I did the bkt.

I'm looking forward to my growth next year. I'm just going to take it 1 day at a time...1 week at a time and 1 month at a time.
Sounds like a perfect plan! Me too :) I just let my hair air dry around 60% then stretched it out with one braid in the back. less manipulation = less damage = less having to be cut off. Thankful for the variety of protective styles that I can juggle.
:rose:

bajandoc86

Lipstick Lover
I'm taking the plunge. I'm in.

Regimen:
Oil my scalp 2x a week, do LCO 2-3x per week and GHE 1x per week.
Keep my ends pinned up and take them down once a week to really focus on moisturising them.
Wear wigs >95% of the time.
Exercise 4x per week.
Drink at least 1L water per day.

Once every 2 weeks:
Prepoo my cornrows with sweet almond oil/vatika oil.
Cowash cornrows with APB Whipped Cleansing Cream/SSI Sugar Peach Conditioner.
Apply diluted moisturing shampoo to my scalp only and give it a good scrub then let the suds clean the cornrows themselves.
Apply Moisture DC to the cornrows directly, condition for 1/2 hr under my Hot Head Conditioning Cap.
Rinse with cool water.
Apply LI and airdry.

Once every 6 weeks:
Do a full detangle on dry hair with sweet almond oil/vatika oil/ST Knot Glide(new product I am trying out).
Prepoo detangled twists under Hot Head Conditioning Cap for 1/2 hr.
Cowash twists and detangle further with APB Whipped Cleansing Creme/SSI Sugar Peach Conditioner.
Apply diluted clarifying shampoo to my scalp only, allow the suds to run over my twists and squeeze to cleanse them.
Mild Protein DC for 1/2 hr with heat
Moisture DC for 1/2 hr with heat
Rinse with cool water
Apply LI and heat protectant
Blowdry on high flow, medium heat
Install cornrows on blowdried hair.

New to my regimen in 2017 is inverting for 4 mins/day for a 1 week per month.

Goal Month: Dec 31st, 2017 :look:

Starting Pic:
CL - Peach Line
APL - Purple Line
Dec 2016 LC (attempt#2)*.JPG

Last edited:

tashboog

I'm on Instagram
So I've done my first wash with my twist extensions today. I didn't sponge wash today but washed in the shower focusing on my scalp mainly. I diluted Sheamoisture hi porosity poo and added tea tree, rosemary, and peppermint eo's. Then I DC'd with the Sheamoisture hi porosity deep treatment masque. I rinsed that out applied my diluted kimmaytube leave in mix and sealed with my shea butter mix. Then I applied a wave cap to lay my hair down and applied a tshirt for 30 min then I removed the the cap and tshirt and air dried then styled for tonight. I'm hoping wearing these twist will help me get to full BSL next year :yep:.

Miss Kane

Joining! This will be my first challenge.

This year I will get my hair done weekly at the salon. My hair is bleached/color treated so I'm going to start being extra careful. I recently lost a few inches due to heat styling too often at home. I will get my hair washed, deep conditioned and straightened once a week and use flexi rods during the week.

I'm considering going back to a vegetarian lifestyle and I will be incorporating at least 30 minutes of cardio into my day. My former stylist told me the best way to achieve growth is to sweat! She works out religiously and her hair grows at the least a full inch a month. It's incredible how fast her hair grows.

victory777

Jumping right in!!!
Regimen:
Wash: Coastal Scents cocoa butter soap or Sea Moisture Retention Shampoo
Conditioners:
Keracare Humecto
Alter ego garlic
Mielle Babassu
Just ordered APB UCS
Prepoo: DIY coffee oil (using Grapeseed, sunflower, or rice bran oil
Leave-in:
OYin hair dew
APB hair creme
APB hair refreshers
Xcel 21

Styles: flat twists undo
Crochet braids
Starting pic
20161027_173049-1.jpg

beauti

Happy new year ladies! My hair is still straight and I've been wearing it in 2 French braids under my wig. I unraveled the braids and wore it wavy yesterday.
My regimen for the new year is to dc twice a week using heat, moisturize twice daily, and protective style in buns, celie braids, or twists. Minimal manipulation.
photoedit_1483294309029.jpg

Daina

View attachment 384163 Ok so here's my starter pic for the challenge. I will be happy with full BSL for the year but I think I can manage MBL (thanks Daina!). Currently nearly BSB...

Happy New Year!

@SweetestChick, your hair looks great and you can definitely get to MBL! You are starting with really healthy hair and have a good plan. I wouldn't be surprised if you make it before YE.

Daina

Happy new year ladies! My hair is still straight and I've been wearing it in 2 French braids under my wig. I unraveled the braids and wore it wavy yesterday.
My regimen for the new year is to dc twice a week using heat, moisturize twice daily, and protective style in buns, celie braids, or twists. Minimal manipulation.
View attachment 384205

@beauti, love the waves!

Daina

Really, really love the Qhemet Biologics line! Tonight I decided to redo my braids since it rained here and my braidout swelled and was massive! I did the LCOB method using Neutrogena Triple Moisture (L), QB Burdock Root Butter Cream(C), QB Castor and Moringa oil softening serum(O), and QB Aethiopika Butter(B) to seal and braid. I will see how my hair feels when I take out the braids and bun but it sure felt good while braiding! I also used Xcel 21 cream on the ends. Really trying to pay close attention to my ends this year to maximize retention.