2017 Share, Discuss, Design, And/or Improve Your Hair Care Regimen

faithVA

Haven't figured out my regimen yet but I think I have figured out my color application regimen. I realized after the last application, which didn't take well, that I was probably not using enough color with my conditioner. I think I need to use 1 tbsp of color for every 4 tbsp of conditioner. So this time I used 1.5 tbsp of color with 5 tbsp of conditioner and it worked well. Right now I'm on a 2 to 4 week color schedule depending on how often I color and how well it takes.

Now I want to see if I can color on dry hair. That will save me a lot of time.

YvetteWithJoy

On break
Haven't figured out my regimen yet but I think I have figured out my color application regimen. I realized after the last application, which didn't take well, that I was probably not using enough color with my conditioner. I think I need to use 1 tbsp of color for every 4 tbsp of conditioner. So this time I used 1.5 tbsp of color with 5 tbsp of conditioner and it worked well. Right now I'm on a 2 to 4 week color schedule depending on how often I color and how well it takes.

Now I want to see if I can color on dry hair. That will save me a lot of time.

Do you color to cover greys?

If so, the GreenBeauty Channel lady says it's possible to reverse and eliminate them. I don't know how true that all is (I just let mine grow in), but it might be worth a gander.

YvetteWithJoy

On break
Today I'm going to try two regimen tweaks: I will tweak the products I use and I will tweak my styling.

Products I'll try:
  1. Prepoo: Soultanicals Power to the Prepoo
  2. Detangle: Soultanicals Hair Glide
  3. Cleanse: 22nd Century Natural Woman shampoo bar
  4. DC: None . . . had one recently and I'm not using a poo that strips . . . AND I will have prepoo'd
  5. LLG . . . Ends . . . Edges & Scalp:
    • Liquid: This mixture described here, a version of which Chime (YouTuber with very healthy long hair) recommends.
    • Leave-in: Soultanicals Cotton Candy Hair-fluff Leave-in Softerizer (bought this for the boys but trying it on my hair, too)
    • Gel: Uncle Funky's Daughter's Curly Magic (I gave my HGs -- Camille Rose Naturals Curl Maker and DevaCurl Ultra Defining Gel -- away to my niecy while visiting them on our vacation)
    • Ends: Mixture of NetWurks Custard and jojoba oil
    • Edges and scalp (scalp via color application bottle): NetWurks spray
Styling I'll try:
Heavily-gelled wash-and-go via SHINGLING. (I do know: Wngo's aren't great for hipo, fine, dense hair. I have a rationale/reason, though, for giving it at least one try).

I never tried shingling when I did my wash-and-go's. My reason/excuse was that I have a lot of strands and "Aintnobodygottimefordat." HOWEVER, I have been spending TONS of time styling ANYWAY, in the attempts of keeping my hair stretched and untangled. Might as well give shingling a wash-and-go a go: What if shingling keeps my tiny sections separate, thus keeping my ends from tangling, and thus allowing my hair to thrive with wash-and-go's like some ladies' manes do? And what if were able to shingle my hair faster then threading it, twisting it, etc.? THAT would be an improvement in quality of life, as silly as that may seem: The more freed up time I have, and the less manipulation of my hair that I do, the better! :smile: I'm excited about this experiment. Whether I get more hydration/moisture from the change in products, less time-consuming styling, or both, I would be EXTREMELY grateful/happy.

I did the shingling method the other day. I liked everything about the process, especially washing my hair in twists and then gelling each untwisted section while the other hair is out of the way (either still in a neighboring twist or gelled but moved into the processing cap on my head). It made shingling so easy to only have one untwisted section at a time accessible and no other hair in the way.

In terms of the results, I think I would have loved it if I'd had my Camille Rose Naturals Curl Maker, which I gave away to someone who needed it. The UFD Curly Magic gel is GREAT on my hair when my stylist uses it, and just okay when I do. :look: :smile: After wearing it for an afternoon, I ended up throwing my hair into a puff, using the black nylon-y / cloth-y baby headbands I ordered from Amazon. I like my puff! I hope the gel is preventing tangling! I'll see!

Last edited:

faithVA

Do you color to cover greys?

If so, the GreenBeauty Channel lady says it's possible to reverse and eliminate them. I don't know how true that all is (I just let mine grow in), but it might be worth a gander.

Thanks. Yes, I'm coloring my grays. I have tried a lot of different things and just decided to dye it for now.

It was a nice video. I hate wheat grass :lol: I may try the doo whoo ho do or whatever it was. But I've tried most of the others.

I also have a looooot more gray hair than she does.

GeorginaSparks

1. Tell us about your hair!
Natural, Healthy, Fine, sparsely dispersed strands and past APL...(honestly havent done a length check in ~1 year),

2. What do you feel your hair's needs are?
Need a little bit more moisture, DCing and anything to prevent SSKs which are the bane of my existence.

3. Tell us about your current regimen. (Products, steps/actions/activities, etc.)
Co-Wash weekly, Shampoo maybe once a month, wear in buns then wigs for special occasions. Recently got a phony puff so im going back to baggying my ends. Use the LOC after wash. I also take hairburst, drink bamboo tea and when i remember, i use the new Surge spray.

What's working in your current regimen?

Everything is working but i need to add more beneficial steps.

4. What are your regimen-improvement goals, if any?
I need to manipulate less, DC with heat more, improve detangling method and protective styling

5. Anything else you would like to share? (Tips? Questions? Links?) N/A

Curls&Justice417

I revamped my products and reggie for 2017, but never posted it on here. Let's get it goin!
Natural, 3b with more 3c I think. Fine to medium strands. My hair isn't thin, but not what I would consider thick either. My hair isn't at its healthiest, but she's getting there day by day with all the TLC I give her lol :2inlove:

Regular washing (once a week usually, sometimes twice) with shampoo. I still need a sulfate poo occasionally.
A little bit of daily fingercombing
A good moisture/protein balance

3. Tell us about your current regimen.(Products, steps/actions/activities, etc.)What's working in your current regimen?
  • Prepoo weekly with a evoo, evco, and avocado mix. Once this is done I think I'm going to stick with avocado.
  • Shampoo weekly with sulfate free or a gentle shampoo
  • I will clarify as needed with ORS Creamy Aloe
  • Deep Condition weekly with heat for 30 min
  • I do a protein treatments on a need be basis. My last hardcore treatment was beginning of January so I'll probably do another in April.
  • T-shirt dry for a bit or in two chunky twists. Then apply a liquid leave in then a creamy leave in then style into twists for twist out.
  • I don't do wash and gos, haven't mastered a roller set, and have been laying off the flat iron so twist outs have been my go to. I'm still tweaking my routine but lately I've been doing about 15 two strand twists on wash day. Then the rest of the week I'll retwist in about 5 chunky flat twists on dry hair reapplying products every few days or so. It's been working for me.
  • As for styles I like to wear my twist out "out" a lot. But I love putting it up in a banana clip, a bun, or wrapped in a cute scarf.
  • I just bought some curlformers so I plan to do more sets.
Consistency for sure! I'm a product junkie and I want to try every.single.good sounding.product. OUT THERE:blush::nono2::pullhair: my wallet is not fit for that. As much as I'm dying to buy every single conditioner by Silk Dreams and Naturelle grow I will have some self control and wait until I've used up my stash.

I also want to get better at flexirods, perm rods, etc. I don't like to wear my hair straight much anymore.

Lastly, just stay diligent. My ultimate goal is luscious and healthy MBL hair. So I'll do my routine habitually. Luckily my hair doesn't need too much to be happy and healthy. Back in the day when I did my first journey in 2009-2010 I thought I needed clay rinses, henna, tea rinses, overnight avocado masks, daily m&s. Now we just do our thing lol

5. Anything else you would like to share?
I think that's it for now......:spinning:

Last edited:

Saludable84

Better Late Than Ugly
Natural, I hope its healthy, Type 4A (tight nape, normal crown, loose front), medium-thick strands, high density, low porosity hair. Just left BSL, but I am a full BSL.

Needs to be kept clean and balanced.

3. Tell us about your current regimen. (Products, steps/actions/activities, etc.)
-Exfoliate my scalp weekly.
-Weekly wash or clarify (as needed). I have to wash weekly, regardless, but depending on build-up, sometimes, I have to mildly clarify, which does not strip my hair. I have figured out how to do this without stripping.
-Deep condition directly after washing on wet hair. I separate my hair into 12 sections and apply conditioner from ends to roots accordingly, in a smooth down motion. I deep condition as I sit in the bath with a plastic cap for at least 30 minutes.
-Finger detangle as I rinse out conditioner under running water. I finger detangle in sections , then re-twist the sections back.
-Apply leave in, moisturizer, oil and butter to 90% damp hair. I keep the twists in from rinsing out conditioner and apply to those sections. I never let my hair dry.
-Twists my hair and let dry for my weekly bun.
*Protein every couple months or as needed.

What's working in your current regimen?
Im pretty boring with my hair, but I feel like that works. The more I do, the more I lose, which is why I eliminated heat, never wear WNG and limit styles like T/O and faux hawks. Since eliminating combs and the like, Ive been able to limit breakage. I dont mind styling my hair, but the less I actually do it, the more I have been able to retain and I am seeing the difference. Because my hair is LP, I take advantage of the moisture retention and never let my hair dry until Im done with everything. I attribute this to the main reason why I can get away with washing weekly and not have my hair dry out.

None really. Just trying to get to WL without looking like Im trying :laugh:

5. Anything else you would like to share? (Tips? Questions? Links?)
Set a goal, set a time for your goal, work with your hair until the goal is reached. Make your goal feasible in every way.

KiWiStyle

Realtor & Foodie
Natural, 1" of damaged ends, course strands, medium density, chin/neck length, tightly coiled, no color with grays coming in rapidly.

My hair needs moisture, to be kept stretched, protein 2-3 times a year and low manipulation styles.

3. Tell us about your current regimen. I cleanse (sulfate free) & DC with a processing cap weekly and style (2-strand twist). I clarify monthly. I clarify with Malibu un do goo, moisture cleanse with with tgin moisture rich shampoo, DC with tgin honey miracle hair mask, tgin green tea leave in, style with uncle Funky's Daughter Curly Magic, Soultanicals Fluff-a-licious curl nutritious or entwine The Manipulator Creme Jelle and Curls passion fruit curl control paste for my edges. I use Mielle Moisturizing Avocado Hair Milk in between IF necessary. What's working in you regimen? Everything. This is my holy grail regimen after many, many TRIALS AND ERRORS.

4. What are your regimen-improvement goals, if any? NONE, it's pretty solid.

5. Anything else you would like to share? If you can afford it, purchase the Komaza Hair Analysis with phone consultation, it saved my hair!

mayoo

Natural and healthy. Fin strands. BSL. Mixed 4a and 4b strands
Not coloured.

My hair likes to be left alone. But it also likes to stay moisturised and clean. Which is why in the past I would always find myself over manipulating or under moisturising

3. Tell us about your current regimen. What's working in your current regimen?
My goal for this journey is to keep everything as simple as possible.

Products: Oil, 22nd Century shampoo bar, Shea butter, deep conditioner
Twist-out/braid-out routine: Shampoo hair once or twice a week. Seal with oil on length and Shea butter on the ends. Twist/braid
Wash-and-go routine: Shampoo about once a week. Seal with oil lightly or nothing. Put hair up into two ponytails

My regimen is soooo much simpler than it once was. I used to have so many unnecessary steps. I used to spend a few hours on my hair every week. Wash day was an all day thing. But now, I spend about 45 minutes on my hair every week. I can detangle my hair in about 10 minutes.

I used to spend so much money on chemicals galore. Not anymore. My shampoo bar costs like $6 and lasts about 30 washes.

Over the last couple of months I've learned that my hair doesn't really like protein so no coconut oil for me. It was making my hair hard and causing breakage.

2 high ponytails have become my signature hairstyle which is great. It keeps my hair from rubbing on anything while it looks super cute as is pretty low manipulation.

Keep it simple.

Use less chemicals.

And last but not least, our hair grows. We don't need to have 28-step regimens in order to achieve our length goals :)

prettywhitty

I have natural hair 3c in the back, 4a/4b throughout the rest of my hair. My hair is very thick and dense, but the strands are fine. I added highlights in 2015, which i now cover over with off black semi permanent color. I also use the color to cover any gray hairs.
I feel like the color I added, while pretty, added dryness and that it loosened my curl pattern in a way I don't like. It made it more frizzy and as my hair has grown out, I can tell a noticeable difference between my new growth and colored hair. So I'm working on adding moisture and also growth with more protective styling.
3. Tell us about your current regimen. I wash and deep condition weekly, and then follow the LOC method. I airdry in twists to stretch the hair and then I bun.
What's working in your current regimen? I think that the deep conditioning weekly has been helpful, and I like the airdry method. I just revamped my routine over the past few weeks, and the less manipulation the better.

I would like to remain consistent with my deep conditioning weekly and involve less manipulation. My hair also like coconut oil for moisture. I really want to even out my length and slowly get rid of dry ends this year. I'm hoping to get to MBL.
I think we should be open to changing our regimen as needed. I found that once my hair got to a certain length I got lazy. And then when I got unlazy about my regimen, none of the things I used to do worked. It took a minute for me to realize that my color treated hair acts differently. It needs way more moisturizing and protein to help with frizz. I'm hoping what I do now will help it, but I'm not afraid to go back to the drawing board if it doesn't.

Nightingale

On the Grow and Keeping it Simple
Natural, healthy, coarse strands, low po, medium density, demi permanent color, MBL, 3c/4a

My scalp needs twice weekly exfoliation and shampooing. My hair needs twice weekly DCing, and low manipulation styling.

3. Tell us about your current regimen. (Products, steps/actions/activities, etc.) What's working in your current regimen?
In my years here I've tried a lot of things, but have streamlined and fine tuned my regimen in the last 2 years or so.

This is what I do twice weekly:
  • Scalp Exfoliation- great for my seborrheic dermatitis because it removes scalp build up.
  • Diluted Sulfate Free Shampoo- 1 oz of poo to 6-8oz of water. Strong enough to remove silicones and gentle enough to not dry my hair out. Shampooing every wash is necessary for my seborrheic dermatitis.
  • Heat DCing (apply to towel dried or near dry, hair)- I need steam/heat for my conditioners to be effective. Since I regularly shampoo, I DC just as frequently and don't waste my time or money on regular conditioners anymore. My DC mixes aren't anything labeled "deep conditioner" because the ingredients in them are usually to heavy and leave build up on my low po hair. I use conditioners with silicones, cetrimonium chloride, and add my fav oils to it. I detangle and section my hair into 6 twists after applying the DC and don't remove them until I style my hair.
  • Apply my leave ins (translucent, liquid or gel formulas, to prevent white buildup) followed by a heavy gel. No lotions, butters, or creams because they never absorb and always leave flakes or white spots.
  • Style. I had great growth with braidouts and two strand twists. But, I prefer protective, low manipulation, quick styles, that can accomodate my frequent washing. Bunning led to more tangles then I liked, so I started doing banded ponytails which works beautifully for me.

• Stop trying to improve my routine. My hair looks great and is growing great, there is no need to experiment or try new products. Why can't I stop?
  • Consistency, particularly not skipping steps. Sometimes I skip shampooing or exfoliating since my scalp feels great and testing if I can improve my moisture levels even more. It never works. I need to quit.
  • Length (duh!). I thought my goal was waist length stretched, but I really want BSL-MBL braid and curls. Lord knows how many inches I'd need for that.

Nope, that's everything.

prettywhitty

Just wanted to swing by with an update:
I have had a few realizations. First, I have low porosity hair, not high porosity like I previously thought. Second, I have heat damage from flat ironing every 6-7 weeks for the majority of 2016 on top of the issues I've been struggling with concerning my hair color (dryness, frizziness, weird straightening). Because I'm low porosity, I'm a little more protein sensitive than I realized, so I have to reduce how much SM JBCO hair mask I use. My hair, while BSL, has no shape when I wear a WNG and I'm seeing so many splits.
So I found 3 ladies on youtube with hair like mine : pagingdr.dre, naturallyquinn, and embracenaturalbeauty. They all have hair texture and pattern similar to mine- a mix of 3c, 4a/b. After watching numerous videos and reading blogs I've changed my routine and tried it out for the first time today. Goes like this:
1. Pre poo with a mix of castor, sesame, peppermint, and rosemary oils. Add to my hair and then go under hood dryer 30 min.
2. Shampoo with diluted SM. Added peppermint, tea tree, and rosemary oil to diluted shampoo. This was amazing! Scalp was all tingly and happy afterwards.
3. DC with a mix of SM conditioners, adding a little bit of the mix I used to prepoo. Sat under dryer 30 minutes. Rinsed and it was like new hair!
4. I detangled and then added SM Sascha Inchi curling smoothie and Eco styler, dried my hair, and then gave it a DIY Deva Cut. I watched a ton of videos and I was nervous, but i cut each curl and shaped it up. My hair was uneven before I did this, so I needed to do something anyway. The cut rid me of a lot of split ends and color damage, and while I'm probably not BSL anymore, my hair and ends thank me. My plan now is to weekly shampoo/DC/Style/Bun, and moisturize my ends daily.

Natural, tightly curly (when it's wet I see pin sized coils), I'm not sure about the stands, they just seem average to me. A little past armpit. Been graying slowly since 16, so I keep it dyed.

It needs to be moisturized, but loves some protein.

3. Tell us about your current regimen. (Products, steps/actions/activities, etc.) What's working in your current regimen?

Until two weeks ago, I was shampooing once per month with a conditioner rinse the weeks between. Cantu Leave-In (the only product that never changes in my routine) with my whipped coconut oil. I recently discovered sweet almond oil (I love it). Aloe Vera juice makes an appearance every so often, I have a bottle I'm using right now. I always deep condition after a shampoo. I just tried rice water for the first time. I'm still seeing how it goes.

I air dry, but have been thinking about an occasional blow dry just to see length (maybe it will help with the knots too).

I normally leave my hair in twists which I re-style each day. That works well, but I'm experimenting with wearing it out more often. I want my hair to be out more often, but without getting knots.

I would love to have faster growth (I barely get 3 inches a year). I'd love to wear my hair out more, but the tangles...well, I need to figure out how to keep them under control. I never go to bed with my hair loose, so I know it's not that.

I do have a question. If anyone has slow growth like I do, were you able to speed it up. I just started taking vitamins. I also recently found out I had a severely Vitamin D deficiency, but that's under control with vitamins (including adding iron). It's disappointing to know I'm not having retention issues and not being at the length where I thought I should be by now, but I know I just have to live with it and appreciate that I do have hair.
I love being natural. I have

Saludable84

Better Late Than Ugly
@HaveSomeWine i used to have that problem long ago, hair that wasn't soft but wiry. I have really LoPo 4A hair.

When I eliminated prepoo, stopped used heat or rather "steam" when deep conditioning, lessened protein and eliminated products containing coconut, aloe, and avocado, my hair went from wiry to soft.

I'm not telling you to do this, but since it's hard to get things in AND out of LoPo hair, aloe is a no no because of its astringent property on LoPo hair, and avocado is naturally smoothing, these things actually hinder LoPo hair.

YvetteWithJoy

On break
I tried a completely different strategy for wash day today! :spinning: :smile:

Short version:
  1. At the sink: Detangle and DC with Shea Moisture High Porosity Moisture-seal Masque. In the process, install 6 chunky twists.
  2. One twist at a time in the shower: Untwist to complete detangling then remove DC and shed hairs under the shower water. To soaking wet hair, apply leave-in (Soultanicals Hair Glide) and gel until slimy (Uncle Funky's Daughter's Curly Magic). Take the untwisted section and now convert it into TWO twists.
  3. Let the 12 twists air dry, then unravel and style.
Detailed version:

Step 1: DC/Detangler: SM High Porosity Moisture-seal Masque applied to dry hair.

Detangling process per section (6 sections total on entire head, 3 per half):
  1. Using the praying hands method, work DC into dry strands while elongating the strands.
  2. With my LEFT HAND, grab the end of the section an inch up from the bottom, then use the fingers on my RIGHT HAND to unfurl and finger comb just the last inch of the section.
  3. Spritz water onto the section's entire length and again do the praying hands method to further distribute DC and water. (This made the hair softer and longer.)
  4. Next, iterate between finger combing and finger detangling the entire length of the section: Do this employing the harp method to undo SSKs and prevent new or almost-forming SSKs.
  5. Using the Wet Brush, brush through the section starting at the bottom inch of the section and working my way up. This removes more tangles.
  6. Chunky twist up the section.
Do this for the entire head, creating 3 chunky twists on each half of the head for a total of 6 chunky twists.

Step 2: In the shower, rinse DC and convert the 6 twists into 12 soaking wet twists that are saturated with leave-in (Soultanicals Hair Glide) and gel (Uncle Funky's Daughter's Curly Magic).

Process twist by twist:
  1. Untwist the section and flash it under the shower water so as to make the DC slippery and leave most of the DC in at the moment.
  2. If need be, finger comb through section and do some final detangling. If not needed, skip and do step 3 below.
  3. Suspend section under the water to rinse DC and to attempt to remove any shed hairs that may be lingering.
  4. Using the praying hands method, apply leave-in to the soaking wet section. (I used Soultanicals Hair Glide because I'm still on the hunt for an HG leave-in, and because I like the ingredients).
  5. Using the praying hands method, apply a non-flaking gel to the section -- enough gel until the section feels SLIMY. (I used Uncle Funky's Daughter's Curly Magic because I gave away my HG Camille Rose Naturals Curl Maker).
  6. Split the section in two, and create TWO TWISTS from what initially was one chunky twist.
Do this for the entire head, with the result of converting 6 chunky DC-laden twists into 12 leave-in and gel-saturated twists.

Step 3: Let air dry, untwist, and style!

----

Right now my hair is air drying. This process took MUCH LESS TIME than my normal wash day routine. I hope it looks good once untwisted and styled. Tonight I will retwist into 12 twists and wear a bonnet. These 12 twists don't need to be damp or perfect: I just want to maintain the elongation and prevent tangling overnight. I'm aiming for a 20-minute retwist session, max. :smile:

YvetteWithJoy

On break
Okay!: I need to write this down or I will forget.

So . . . I finally broke down and ordered The Mane Choice Ancient Egyptian Anti-Breakage & Repair Antidote Conditioner because I'm aiming to find a leave-in conditioner that moisturizes my hair for days like Oyin Hair Dew does but that SMELLS OKAY. :smile:

I'm having a little buyer's remorse, though! I just today learned about the TGIN Green Tea Super Moist Leave In Conditioner. The ingredients look amazing, and the reviews look super promising.

Ingredients: AQUA Water Infused with Behentrimonium Methosulfate :yep:, Camellia Cinensis (Green Tea) Leaf Extract, Aloe Barbedensis Leaf Juice Theobroma Cacao (Cocoa) Seed Butter, Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea Butter), Argania Spinosa (Moroccan Argan) Kernel Oil, Prunus Amygdalus Dulcis (Sweet Almond) Oil, Ricinus Communis (Castor) Seed Oil, Helianthus Annuus (Sunflower) Seed Oil, Theobroma Grandiflorum (Cupuacu) Seed Butter, Honey, Hypericum Perforatum (St. John’s Wort) Flower, Tocopheryl Acetate (Vitamin E), Pro Vitamin B5, Propanediol, Cetearyl Alcohol, Cetyl Alcohol, Phenoxyethanol, Caprylyl Glycol, Disodium EDTA, Rosemary Extract, Fragrance (Parfum).​

Based on what I'm learning about my hair and on what I'm reading, I feel like I am SO CLOSE to having a holy grail line up of products! This is what I'm imagining:
  1. HG detoxifier: any quality ACV shampoo or rhassoul clay cleanser . . . Jakeala's ACV shampoo or Naturalicious's rhassoul clay wash are my current favorites
  2. HG cleanser: 22nd Century Natural Woman shampoo bar
  3. HG deep conditioner (can double as a detangler): Shea Moisture High Porosity Moisture-seal Masque
  4. HG dedicated detangler: Soultanicals Hair Glide
  5. HG protein/balancing treatment (can double as a detangler): Mielle Organics Babassu Oil Mint Deep Conditioner (since Komaza Protein Hair Strengthener is not available on the ground)
  6. HG leave-in: ??? TGIN Green Tea Super Moist Leave In Conditioner???
  7. HG gel: ??? Mielle Organics Honey & Ginger Styling Gel???
  8. HG edge control: ??? Mielle Organics Honey & Ginger Edge Gel
Thinking of how to streamline an minimize costs: I think I could cut out the products that have strike-through's. And I think I would only need to use the Mielle protein/balancing DC every so often. I would use the edge control sparingly. The 22nd Century Natural Woman shampoo bar lasts and lasts and lasts. Gel also lasts and lasts for me.

This means I would only be frequently purchasing the SM masque and the TGIN Leave In. The only thing I would need to order online (and pay shipping fees for) would be the 22nd Century Natural Woman shampoo bar. I like the idea of all of that. :yep:

ETA: I'm reconsidering the Naturalicious clay wash. It did my hair AMAZING.

Last edited:

Evolving78

Okay!: I need to write this down or I will forget.

So . . . I finally broke down and ordered The Mane Choice Ancient Egyptian Anti-Breakage & Repair Antidote Conditioner because I'm aiming to find a leave-in conditioner that moisturizes my hair for days like Oyin Hair Dew does but that SMELLS OKAY. :smile:

I'm having a little buyer's remorse, though! I just today learned about the TGIN Green Tea Super Moist Leave In Conditioner. The ingredients look amazing, and the reviews look super promising.

Ingredients: AQUA Water Infused with Behentrimonium Methosulfate :yep:, Camellia Cinensis (Green Tea) Leaf Extract, Aloe Barbedensis Leaf Juice Theobroma Cacao (Cocoa) Seed Butter, Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea Butter), Argania Spinosa (Moroccan Argan) Kernel Oil, Prunus Amygdalus Dulcis (Sweet Almond) Oil, Ricinus Communis (Castor) Seed Oil, Helianthus Annuus (Sunflower) Seed Oil, Theobroma Grandiflorum (Cupuacu) Seed Butter, Honey, Hypericum Perforatum (St. John’s Wort) Flower, Tocopheryl Acetate (Vitamin E), Pro Vitamin B5, Propanediol, Cetearyl Alcohol, Cetyl Alcohol, Phenoxyethanol, Caprylyl Glycol, Disodium EDTA, Rosemary Extract, Fragrance (Parfum).​

Based on what I'm learning about my hair and on what I'm reading, I feel like I am SO CLOSE to having a holy grail line up of products! This is what I'm imagining:
  1. HG detoxifier: any quality ACV shampoo or rhassoul clay cleanser . . . Jakeala's ACV shampoo or Naturalicious's rhassoul clay wash are my current favorites
  2. HG cleanser: 22nd Century Natural Woman shampoo bar
  3. HG deep conditioner (can double as a detangler): Shea Moisture High Porosity Moisture-seal Masque
  4. HG dedicated detangler: Soultanicals Hair Glide
  5. HG protein/balancing treatment (can double as a detangler): Mielle Organics Babassu Oil Mint Deep Conditioner (since Komaza Protein Hair Strengthener is not available on the ground)
  6. HG leave-in: ??? TGIN Green Tea Super Moist Leave In Conditioner???
  7. HG gel: ??? Mielle Organics Honey & Ginger Styling Gel???
  8. HG edge control: ??? Mielle Organics Honey & Ginger Edge Gel
Thinking of how to streamline an minimize costs: I think I could cut out the products that have strike-through's. And I think I would only need to use the Mielle protein/balancing DC every so often. I would use the edge control sparingly. The 22nd Century Natural Woman shampoo bar lasts and lasts and lasts. Gel also lasts and lasts for me.

This means I would only be frequently purchasing the SM masque and the TGIN Leave In. The only thing I would need to order online (and pay shipping fees for) would be the 22nd Century Natural Woman shampoo bar. I like the idea of all of that. :yep:
Do you need something to repair/reconstruct your hair, or are you looking for moisture, since you said you wanna replace the Hair Dew?

Evolving78

@HaveSomeWine i used to have that problem long ago, hair that wasn't soft but wiry. I have really LoPo 4A hair.

When I eliminated prepoo, stopped used heat or rather "steam" when deep conditioning, lessened protein and eliminated products containing coconut, aloe, and avocado, my hair went from wiry to soft.

I'm not telling you to do this, but since it's hard to get things in AND out of LoPo hair, aloe is a no no because of its astringent property on LoPo hair, and avocado is naturally smoothing, these things actually hinder LoPo hair.
This advice all day.

YvetteWithJoy

On break
Do you need something to repair/reconstruct your hair, or are you looking for moisture, since you said you wanna replace the Hair Dew?

Just moisture. I have the Komaza Protein Hair Strengthener, the Colorful Neutral Protein Filler, and various protein-containing DCs for repair.

It's multiday, moist, moisture I'm seeking. I've tried SO MANY leave-ins and moisturizes, and none do my hair like Oyin Hair Dew. With Oyin Hair Dew, the concept of dry hair seems like a MYTH to me. :smile: I've tried Qhemet, Camille Rose Naturals, Soultanicals, Obia, Shea Moisture, Uncle Funkey's Daughter, DevaCare, various Etsy vendors, and on and on . . . I can't get moisture like Oyin Hair Dew. :cry3:

It is the only thing missing from my regimen, besides a scalp exfoliator, which I might try to DIY.

Evolving78

Just moisture. I have the Komaza Protein Hair Strengthener, the Colorful Neutral Protein Filler, and various protein-containing DCs for repair.

It's multiday, moist, moisture I'm seeking. I've tried SO MANY leave-ins and moisturizes, and none do my hair like Oyin Hair Dew. With Oyin Hair Dew, the concept of dry hair seems like a MYTH to me. :smile: I've tried Qhemet, Camille Rose Naturals, Soultanicals, Obia, Shea Moisture, Uncle Funkey's Daughter, DevaCare, various Etsy vendors, and on and on . . . I can't get moisture like Oyin Hair Dew. :cry3:

It is the only thing missing from my regimen, besides a scalp exfoliator, which I might try to DIY.
Oyin has no glycerin in it, that's the key. I wouldn't buy that Main Choice product. Doesn't sound like you need something like that. Do you like Qhemet Biologics? The coco detangle ghee is awesome, as well the burdock root cream. Those provide really nice moisture, alone, or together.

YvetteWithJoy

On break
Oyin has no glycerin in it, that's the key. I wouldn't buy that Main Choice product. Doesn't sound like you need something like that. Do you like Qhemet Biologics? The coco detangle ghee is awesome, as well the burdock root cream. Those provide really nice moisture, alone, or together.

Thanks for the help!

I have the burdock root cream. It is pretty good, but still the Oyin Hair Dew is better. I have been curious about the ghee! I thought I had ordered a sample back when they had that sample deal, but I guess I did something wrong (never charged, no product sent). I can't pay that much for the regular size just for an experiment.

I think Oyin HD worked so well for me because it was awesome for me on soaking wet hair. It trapped in the water and it added moisture, so when my hair dried it was hydrated AND moisturized. Just LOVELY. :smile: I didn't feel that way about the burdock root cream: I didn't like it as much on soaking wet hair. Do you think the detangling ghee would work well applied to soaking wet hair?

YvetteWithJoy

On break
HUGE regimen discovery!

I have finally figured out which order of steps on wash day works best for my hair. :clap:I didn't even realize that I needed to discover this! However, without realizing it, I indeed had been trying several different orders, I suppose with the subconscious aim of improving things.

I was always afraid to DC before washing, based on an article I'd read about dirt in the hair and DCs having the ability to drive dirt into the hair shaft because DCs are penetrating, and so forth. However, it turns out the DC-ing before washing works awesomely for my hair! Wow!

Aside: Of course, somebody has already discovered that this works for her hair:
https://longhaircareforum.com/threa...detangling-before-shampooing.2242/#post-21522

It's basically a modification of the condition-wash-condition (CWC) method (right?) . . . which, I'm realizing, is basically just prepooing! :smile:

:yep: It's alllllll coming together now and making sense for me.

It is better for my hair if I DC as a prepoo and detangling step than to DC as a follow up to washing since I'm going to add conditioner/leave-in and sealant after washing anyway . . . and since my tangle-prone, high-shrinkage, hipo hair benefits so much from a DC prepoo! Benefits: I lose way less hair. Shampooing ends up being less stripping. Everything goes faster. The DC really penetrates to make detangling a breeze. I can eliminate purchasing a detangler. :yep:

tl;dr (too long; didn't read) version:
As of now, the latest optimal order of steps for me on wash day is (1) deep condition/prepoo/detangle, (2) wash, (3) condition and moisturize, (4) seal. It occurs to me that this is basically the condition-wash-condition method. Another LHCFer also DCs before washing: https://longhaircareforum.com/threa...detangling-before-shampooing.2242/#post-21522

Cattypus1

All loced up...
HUGE regimen discovery!

I have finally figured out which order of steps on wash day works best for my hair. :clap:I didn't even realize that I needed to discover this! However, without realizing it, I indeed had been trying several different orders, I suppose with the subconscious aim of improving things.

I was always afraid to DC before washing, based on an article I'd read about dirt in the hair and DCs having the ability to drive dirt into the hair shaft because DCs are penetrating, and so forth. However, it turns out the DC-ing before washing works awesomely for my hair! Wow!

Aside: Of course, somebody has already discovered that this works for her hair:
https://longhaircareforum.com/threa...detangling-before-shampooing.2242/#post-21522

It's basically a modification of the condition-wash-condition (CWC) method (right?) . . . which, I'm realizing, is basically just prepooing! :smile:

:yep: It's alllllll coming together now and making sense for me.

It is better for my hair if I DC as a prepoo and detangling step than to DC as a follow up to washing since I'm going to add conditioner/leave-in and sealant after washing anyway . . . and since my tangle-prone, high-shrinkage, hipo hair benefits so much from a DC prepoo! Benefits: I lose way less hair. Shampooing ends up being less stripping. Everything goes faster. The DC really penetrates to make detangling a breeze. I can eliminate purchasing a detangler. :yep:

tl;dr (too long; didn't read) version:
As of now, the latest optimal order of steps for me on wash day is (1) deep condition/prepoo/detangle, (2) wash, (3) condition and moisturize, (4) seal. It occurs to me that this is basically the condition-wash-condition method. Another LHCFer also DCs before washing: https://longhaircareforum.com/threa...detangling-before-shampooing.2242/#post-21522
It's awesome when you make discoveries when you weren't even looking.

Last edited:

snoop

Natural, healthy with a cottony texture. Fine to medium 4c with low to medium density. MBL.

Nothing really, except me being committed to daily moisturizing like I used to.

- weekly washing with either kaolin clay (when I'm not being lazy) or Komaza Care shampoo (when I'm being lazy). Washing is done in two strand twists (not unraveled in the shower). Every couple of months wash hair loose.
- monthly protein treatments with Komaza Care.
- Hercules Saggman 3-comb smoothe every 3-4 months
- regular moisturizing and sealing
- putting hair in two strand twists and refreshing style every two weeks

Low manipulation is working well.

I'm working on being more consistent with moisturizing (my hair is retaining moisture really well, which is part of the reason why I don't do it daily). I need to figure out if/why my hair seems to be stalling. I'm a slow grower so it's hard to tell sometimes, but I feel like I've been struggling to get past MBL -- not sure if my hair is resting, or if it's weather or diet related.

YvetteWithJoy

On break
This weekend I tried a lot of new products on wash day (the Qhemet Cocoa Tree Detangling Ghee was just AWESOME!). It was fun, but it entailed quite a few steps so it made me start thinking again about how to reduce the number of steps.

So I went googling for a detangling cleanser, just to see what would pop up. My rationale was that if I detangle/cleanse, then DC, then rinse, then apply styler that I'd be back to a slightly more streamlined process.

During my search I came across the product below. Wow!: That's even more concise. Detangle, cleanse, and DT all at once.

I'm skeptical: ONE product that is a detangler, cleanser, AND deep treatment?!?? And how often would I be able to use this product, I wonder: Sometime I detangle twice a week, sometimes once a week, and sometimes once every 10 days or so, depending on whether I'm in a protective hairstyle or not.

I emailed the company to see if they had a sample available and to find out what the instructions for use of the product are. For instance, could I sit with this on my head under the steamer or dryer for 30 minutes?, I wonder.

https://www.natureskinshop.com/clea...-hair-loss-for-gorgeous-shiny-healthy-hair-39

upload_2017-3-12_17-38-27.png

YvetteWithJoy

On break
This morning I did the following with all new-to-me products:

1. Detangled and co-washed with Camille Rose Naturals Coconut Water Penetrating Hair Treatment
2. Shower steamed the CRN treatment in
3. Applied Curl Prep Curl Crush Sweet Buttah to my wet hair
4. Applied Curl Prep Curl Crush Around the Way gel to my wet hair

About the CRN treatment: It's only the first use of these products, but so far I think the CRN treatment might be bumping all DCs I've ever used down a notch--even my HG Shea Moisture High Porosity Moisture-seal Masque. After rinse-out, usually I can't even tell I've DC'd. Not so with this CRN treatment. I need to trial it a few more times, it looks PROMISING.

About the Sweet Buttah: I couldn't tell what the Sweet Buttah was doing to my wet hair. Though very creamy, it seemed to just sit on top of my wet hair. It seemed like it might be great on dry hair, but I don't know.

About the Curl Crush gel: I'm really, really, really feeling the gel. I have a VERY slight crunch with it, and it applied kind of like a thick paste--meaning with no goopiness. My hair looks very black and shiny!

Next on the road to improving my regimen, I'm going to try:
1. Cleansing with Shea Terra Organics Rosemary Carrot Seed Morrocan Mud-Poo
2. Protein treating with Komaza Care Protein Hair Strengthener
3. DCing with CRN Coconut Water Treatment
4. Styling in a ponytailed twist-out with Curl Junkie Smoothing Lotion and Curl Prep Curl Crush Around the Way Gel

YvetteWithJoy

On break
Wow!

I'm loving this trial wash day. I thought I'd forgotten to pack my Komaza Care Protein Hair Strengthener, but there it was in the bottom of my hair bag! Yay!

Products used today:
  1. To cleanse scalp: Silk Elements Pre-Cleanse Scalp Treatment Felt great (cool and tingly) and now scalp feels great
  2. To cleanse strands: Sheaterra Rosemary Carrot Seed Moroccan Rhassoul Mud-Poo Wow!: Left my hair clean, springy, and moisturized with oil!
  3. To treat strands with protein: Komaza Care Protein Hair Strengthener Repaired my breaking ends!!! Hallelujah!
  4. To deep condition strands: Camille Rose Naturals Coconut Water Deep Penetrating Hair Treatment under thermal cap I ended up skipping this: The mud poo beforehand was SUPER moisturizing
  5. To moisturize: Curl Junkie Curl Assurance Smoothing Lotion The slip was amazeballs! (Was the Komaza Protein a factor? My hair always feels like rubber for awhile after rinsing it out.) The CJ lotion helped me easily separate strands as I was styling!
  6. To seal: Curl Prep Curl Crush Around the Way Gel My newfound FAVORITE gel of all-time. LOVE IT. :smile:
  7. Style: Flexirod set This is my first attempt ever. I used 10 red ones after watching a tutorial with only 8 used. Have no idea how this will turn out. Love the EASE of it. Love that my hair is not drying with tangly shrinkage. :yep:

Curls&Justice417

I've stayed pretty consistent with my regimen. Still prepooing and still deep conditioning. I was a bit lazy this week and I didn't prepoo but I used a sulfate free shampoo so it wasn't too stripping. I also only deep conditioned for 10 minutes in the shower with steam, but my hair feels great. I honestly don't think I need 30 minute DCs every single week.

I did add AVJ to my regimen and that's a hit.
I basically am trying out a modified LOC method (LAOC) and going to see how my hair responds to it. I'm also going to attempt to use the same products for a few weeks.
After washing I tie my hair up with a t shirt while I lotion up and get dressed. This allows my hair to get rid of any extra water without being too dry. After I'm dressed I start the LAOC method.

I split my hair into four sections. I do the same thing to each section:
1.Detangle with wide tooth comb
2.(L) As I Am leave in (a nickel size amount)
3.(A) spray aloe vera juice to hair and brush it through with my Plugged In brush to evenly distribute product and smooth hair
4. (O) apply just a little bit of the Shea Moisture High Porosity Moisture Seal Elixir then wrap into a bantu knot.

Once I've done that to all four sections I just go about my business for an hour or too and allow my hair to air dry a bit and soak up the product. My hair always turns out sooo much better if I let my hair "marinate" like this rather than going straight into styling. Once I'm ready to finish my hair I apply the As I Am Double Butter cream (and spray with a little bit of distilled water if need be) to each section then do about 3 two strand twists per section (so I end up with 12 all together) then I just unravel in the morning. And that's the LAOC method. I'm going to play around and see if need to add a styler for definition. If so, I'll add that after the cream.
I'm going to try this method consistently for the next few washes. My hair feels and looks great right now, but we'll see how it goes tomorrow after I undo my twists.