2018 Hair Regimen Development: Design, Rationale, Revision, Reflection

YvetteWithJoy

On break
Oh I see.. But did it help with the moisture? Was it too greasy? Maybe you can reduce the amount and see what happens.. My twist outs never really lasted long, so I can't give any serious suggestions lol But I can wish you a lot of luck!

Thanks! Moisture was up, but there really was no style to it. It had no hold, so no long-lasting definition. It wasn't greasy. It was just butter and gel. No Scurl. I'm expecting a little greasiness this time around.

We'll see! :smile:

YvetteWithJoy

On break
Please let us know what happens. Good luck!

Will do. The only reasons I'm still trialing is because I still have a few issues with my hair. If the Scurl + Shea butter method eliminates knots on even my fine and dense hair, I may have to adopt it and then figure out how to style such a head of hair at this length--even if I can't get it to work with gel for a twist out.

Alma Petra

Will do. The only reasons I'm still trialing is because I still have a few issues with my hair. If the Scurl + Shea butter method eliminates knots on even my fine and dense hair, I may have to adopt it and then figure out how to style such a head of hair at this length--even if I can't get it to work with gel for a twist out.
You know what? I wanna try this combo me too, to see if it will add more moisture to my hair. What S curl do you use? Is it a spray?

YvetteWithJoy

On break
You know what? I wanna try this combo me too, to see if it will add more moisture to my hair. What S curl do you use? Is it a spray?

It's this one. Anti-frizz formula. :pray: Paraben free. (Hallelujah.) Mineral oil free (so I can continue to moisturize throughout the week, if need be).

YvetteWithJoy

On break
I’ve tried the Honey Sage D/C and it was extremely thick and left a coating on my hair. No moisture whatsoever. Hated it. Are you avoiding cones? TGIN Honey Miracle Mask is good for moisture but it does have dimethicone.

I looked at the ingredients in the Alikay DC again and got it.

And on first use, I loooooove it. Lol. Except for the herbs. I might try her other DC.

YvetteWithJoy

On break
REFLECTION

For some reason my knotting has increased. I'm thinking about getting some Komaza Care Hair products to try to address it, while re-upping on the protein treatment. (I said I'd never reup on it, but I'm "scared" to not have any. On my hair, it's the best on the market.)

Alma Petra

I need to keep trialing it to confirm, but so far, HANDS DOWN yes.

If it weren't for those herbal bits . . .
I have been loosely following the DCs that you have trialled and wrote about. The Alikay DC must be really amazing to be able to beat all of these popular tried and true DCs!

Alma Petra

I'm shocked, Alma!

I just did a Komaza protein treatment, so that could have been a factor???

I will trial it again before making any conclusions.

Hmmm yeah this might be it. I know how your hair loves the Komaza protein.. But who knows maybe Alikay is on to something with this DC. I'm taking note of it...

It was okay, but the DIY CurlyProverbz tea is astonishing on my hair. I get shiny, hydrated, moisturized, strong, juicy hair with it. My hair was soft with the activator, but very dull. Nowhere near as juicy. And now I've got tons of 'cones in my hair.
I didn't know it had cones. Very interesting! But they must be the water soluble type that you can easily cowash out if you don't poo?
Why do you think that CP tea performs so well?

YvetteWithJoy

On break
Hmmm yeah this might be it. I know how your hair loves the Komaza protein.. But who knows maybe Alikay is on to something with this DC. I'm taking note of it...

I didn't know it had cones. Very interesting! But they must be the water soluble type that you can easily cowash out if you don't poo?
Why do you think that CP tea performs so well?

I don't know about the 'cones. I decided I'd just use a sulfate poo next wash day. They may be water soluble. I didn't check.

I put aloe Vera powder and a little oil in my CP tea, besides brahmi and amla powder and distilled water and henna. The oil contains all kinds of goodies. Like argan oil, bergamot oil, carrot seed oil, coconut oil, olive oil, etc.

It's awesome on my hair. A little messy, but hydration on steroids.

YvetteWithJoy

On break
:meditate:

I'm starting to feel the need to verify where I'm at and what I know for sure.

For sure for my hair:
  1. A Bronner Brothers gel wash and go over CurlyProverbz tea works and keeps tangles and knots at bay.
  2. The twist out is better than a wash and go because for the latter, I keep tension blowing it (once completely dried) to stretch it. The twist out keeps tangles at bay and stays stretched WITHOUT frequent heat.
  3. Liquid leave-in is superior to every other kind. However, a little left in DevaCurl One Condition seems to work okay, if not well.
Currently I need to determine which is truly better for detangling: DevaCurl Wash Day Wonder, 22nd Century Natural Shampoo Bar, mud/clay, some combo, or some other product.

Alma Petra

I don't know about the 'cones. I decided I'd just use a sulfate poo next wash day. They may be water soluble. I didn't check.

I put aloe Vera powder and a little oil in my CP tea, besides brahmi and amla powder and distilled water and henna. The oil contains all kinds of goodies. Like argan oil, bergamot oil, carrot seed oil, coconut oil, olive oil, etc.

It's awesome on my hair. A little messy, but hydration on steroids.
I must try to make this tea one day. I have all the ingredients except for the aloe vera powder. Regarding oil, I can maybe use my vitamin E oil?

YvetteWithJoy

On break
I must try to make this tea one day. I have all the ingredients except for the aloe vera powder. Regarding oil, I can maybe use my vitamin E oil?

I'm sure you could use your Vit E oil.

Later I'll link the original recipe that people are using. It doesn't contain aloe Vera powder or oil. I just added the two to my version for moisture and scent, respectively.

CurlyWhoCrux

:meditate:

I'm starting to feel the need to verify where I'm at and what I know for sure.

For sure for my hair:
  1. A Bronner Brothers gel wash and go over CurlyProverbz tea works and keeps tangles and knots at bay.
  2. The twist out is better than a wash and go because for the latter, I keep tension blowing it (once completely dried) to stretch it. The twist out keeps tangles at bay and stays stretched WITHOUT frequent heat.
  3. Liquid leave-in is superior to every other kind. However, a little left in DevaCurl One Condition seems to work okay, if not well.
Currently I need to determine which is truly better for detangling: DevaCurl Wash Day Wonder, 22nd Century Natural Shampoo Bar, mud/clay, some combo, or some other product.

Which liquid leave-ins do you like? Are they spray leave-ins?

CurlyWhoCrux

Sort of going day by day with my hair. I don’t know how it will feel each day so I’m always prepared to rewet/moisturize as needed.

Washed in the morning yesterday and didn’t have time to DC, so I applied my DC as leave in. Last night, I went ahead and applied more to properly DC. I applied some BTT to seal it in (just to see how that goes). I also applied some to my scalp as if I was greasing my scalp because my scalp has been itchy lately.

Oh! I also did an oil rinse yesterday. I think it went well. I used coconut oil. I might continue to do these.

faithVA

I think I finally have a base regimen. In previous post I was just making up stuff to write down and I never really did much of it. But I've done this enough where I can say it is my base and something I want to refine. I have a color day regimen and a regular wash day regimen. I plan to stick with this regimen until the end of August and reassesss. I will be tweaking as necessary but I have had good results with this so far.

Basic Wash Day Regimen
1. Shampoo with 1 of the shampooes in my stash (Mane Choice, Camille Rose Ginger). For now I shampoo loose hair because it is too short to twist and stay
2. Spritz on conditioner (1 to 2 Tbsp of conditioner to 6 to 8 oz of water); Mane Choice or TGIN
3. Rinse and spritz on leave-in until hair fully saturated; 1 to 2 Tbsp of condiione rto 6 to 8 oz water); Mane Choice or TGIN;
This is the step that helps my hair maintain moisture during the week.
4. Let hair air dry for 15 to 30 minutes and then use micro fiber until hair is damp
5. Spritz hair and scalp with a glycerin based spray
6. Apply Mane Choice or TGIN moisturizer
7. Apply serum or pomade to ends
8. Seal hair with pomade or butter
9. Spritz ends again with glycerin based spray
10. Reseal ends with butter or pomade.
11. Smooth product through hair and smooth ends with my Tangle Teazer.
12. Style hair - usually in flat twists.

Deep Condition Regimen - Every other week or on color/henna days
1. Shampoo with moisturizing shampoo
2. Deep condition with heat for 30 to 60 minutes
3. Pick up with step #3 from Basic Wash Day Regimen

Color/Henna Regimen: Color 1x a Month or Henna/Indigo 1x a quarter
1. Do steps 1 & 2 from Deep Conditioning Regimen
3. Apply pomade or butter to ends
4. Shampoo with sulfate shampoo to remove build up of deep conditioner
5. Apply hennna/indigo for 2 hours or surya brasil for 1 hour
6. Rinse with lukewarm water
7. Pick up at step 2 from Basic Wash Day Regimen.

Daily Regimen
1. Daily spritz scalp with glycerin based spray and massage scalp with Mane Choice growth oil.
2. As needed and depending on style, spritz ends and seal.