APL`13 Challenge

aprils13 said:
Hey ladies. I signed up for this challenge but I haven't posted my before. Well, here it is.

This is my blow dried hair. I have so my ssks, it's ridiculous. :nono: During this challenge, I'm going to keep my hair stretched as much as possible, moisturize my ends, and trim as needed.

How are you keeping your hair stretched?

I'm going take down my braids and dc tomorrow. I feel like I got at least 1/2 an in NG in most areas and a little more in other sections. I'll post pic tomorrow.

My hair has grown a half inch since i last checked which was back in October. That seems "meh" to me. But then again I did take a quarter inch off a few weeks ago.

The sides will be apl with 2 to three more inches. The back about the same.

Hey everyone! I have missed LHCF dearly. Been about two years lol. Anyway heres my stats...

Current hair length--Collarbone
Relaxed/Natura/Texlaxed/Transitioning--Natural
Goal Month--August 2013
Current Reggie and styling choices-Protective styling with weaves and wigs..moisturize and seal every night..wash and condition every 2 weeks
What do you plan on changing (if anything) to make it to APL? Maybe just wear my hair out without a protective style so that I can pay extra attention to it. I feel I cant really put my all in it while its in a weave...
Post a beginning picture

Current hair length- front chin length-- back past shoulders ,, sides top of shoulders

image-983723281.jpg

image-144751264.jpg

[*]/Natura/Texlaxed/Transitioning- natural
[*]Goal Month- June 2013
[*]Current Reggie and styling choices- ps such as braids , wigs, sew ins.Try to oil scalp with coconut oil with added sulfur..spritz hair with water daily
[*]What do you plan on changing (if anything) to make it to APL?
[*]Post a beginning picture

Yes, not far to go!
I'm at that length too. We can do it FemmeCreole and we'll do it in no time, you'll see.
Bajanmum
I do hope so...I've been the length twice before and both times suffered setbacks. I know now it was due my things I had done. I'm changing my actions this time around.

Thanks the encouragement.
4 more inches!
4 more inches!

Hey ladies!

I had planned on wearing my hair on a high bun for Thanksgiving but my hair would cooperate. I ended up just cw and braiding my hair in 2 plaits under a wig. It's been like that ever since. Yay for wigs!!

pearlific1 said:
Hey ladies!

I had planned on wearing my hair on a high bun for Thanksgiving but my hair would cooperate. I ended up just cw and braiding my hair in 2 plaits under a wig. It's been like that ever since. Yay for wigs!!

Wigs are a girls best friend lol

Hey! I'm in this! :grin:

-Natural
-SL/CBL
-Hopefully I'll reach APL around the Summer. .
-I plan to grow my hair from the inside out so that entails clean eating, exercise, and lots of water. I use Mega Foods (powder for smoothies, juice, food etc), and my regular Vitamins.
-My "staples" are JBCO, Mizhani Curl Soft (the sh*t), and Carols Daughter Healthy Hair Butter (also the sh*t). My signature style is a twist out pulled up into a puff.

:drunk: I bleached and dyed my hair purple back in July :

52371841775040331411365.jpg

purplepuff.jpg

:woot: This is Today:

54677647963019827037196.jpg

ITS GROWING!!! :yay: :party: I just have to RETAIN what I Grow!!!

Finally back with my starting picture!! :yep:
I think that adding tea rinses to my regime is really paying off. I usually get these annoying balls of hair hanging off my ends and I always had to pull/cut them off and I lose so much hair ths way - since the tea rinses, my hair balls have stopped!!! Totally amazed and pleased!!! Bring on APL 2013!!

Attachments

• hair 17.12.12.jpg
    hair 17.12.12.jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 38
I'd like to join.

Current hair length- A little past shoulder length in the back, about chin length on the sides.
Relaxed/Natura/Texlaxed/Transitioning- Natural
Goal Month- December
Current Reggie and styling choices- Still working on a reggie. Probably a lot of protective styling (buns, twists, maybe wigs)
What do you plan on changing (if anything) to make it to APL? Paying more attention to my hair in general, especially moisturizing and sealing.
Post a beginning picture- See attached

image-3925170722.jpg

My first ever attempt at two-strand twists. :)

Last edited:
I think that adding tea rinses to my regime is really paying off. I usually get these annoying balls of hair hanging off my ends and I always had to pull/cut them off and I lose so much hair ths way - since the tea rinses, my hair balls have stopped!!! Totally amazed and pleased!!! Bring on APL 2013!!

you're almost there!

I'm wondering if I should redo kinky twists for another month or if I should cornrow and wig it ...

If I retain the 1/2 inch growth each month, I should get to APL by July. I hope I get there this time around.

Last edited:

Honeytips, I've been having the same problem. It seems to happen right after a wash/condish. Please give us more details on your tea rinses.

Just checking in. Whew...finally made a decision on whether I'll wet set my hair in a mold or in rollers. I'll just mold it down with mousse. It makes it where I can style my hair relatively easily and don't have to worry about headbands, which I really didn't want to go back to. So on wash day I'll poo, DC under the dryer, then mold my hair and airdry it. Then curl the next morning no big deal. I'm back and ready.

Ohhh!!! I gave myself a good trim the other day. Inspired by a YT blogger. So I'm def ready. I took off maybe 1/4 an inch. I plan to dust maybe 1x a month just to keep it going.

I bought some Herbal Essences Hello Hydration on sale the other day & used it for the first time to co-wash on Sunday, DC’d for an hour. Leave-in conditioner & wrapped my hair to dry. After it dried, I oiled my scalp w/ some Tea Tree oil (mixed w/ some other oils) moisturized & sealed w/ EVCO. Wigging it out for my PS. I noticed that the middle of my head has an inch of NG but the outer areas are at about a half an inch.

@Honeytips, I've been having the same problem. It seems to happen right after a wash/condish. Please give us more details on your tea rinses.

jbwphoto1 - I know, isn't it annoying? I started following the advice from the coffee/tea rinse thread http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=592629 . I brewed together some oolong tea, chrysanthemum tea and fenugreek and every night before I go to bed I squirt some on using my spray bottle. On the day I cowash my hair I use this as a final rinse.
Mind you, I also started using bentonite clay as well to wash my hair....but I think that it's the tea rinses that is helping with the balls of hair :drunk:

I'd like to join this challenge. I transitioned for 15 months and and then cut off the processed ends. Still learning my natural hair. I'm at shoulder length now so I should be able to make APL by the end of 2013.

By the time the challenge starts officially I should have a proper regimen and have taken some pics. Right now I'm still on the regimen I had for my processed hair since I'm lazy:look: Wash 1x a week, DC and protective style daily with a braid out updo, the usual. Apart from that lots of oils (castor, coconut and other essential oils). I keep my hair stretched with braid-out styles - no heat. That's the regimen for now I guess.

Last edited:
  1. Current hair length
  2. Relaxed/Natura/Texlaxed/Transitioning
  3. Goal Month
  4. Current Reggie and styling choices
  5. What do you plan on changing (if anything) to make it to APL?
  6. Post a beginning picture
1. Just below neck bone
2. Natural all the way!
3. At least by the end of the year (2013), but I'm such a slow grower and prone to splits.:sad:
4. Bunning right now, but I'm sure that will change if when my mood changes. :look: I co-wash once or twice a week, using a shampoo bar once a month. Oil scalp twice a week. Henna once or twice a month. Hardcore protein once or twice a year.
5. I've already made the changes I need for the moment. Protective styling, moisture, moisture, moisture and a healthy dose of protein.
6. I'll post one at the end of December after I blow dry it.

Good luck ladies!!!!!:yep:

Current hair length: Almost APL
Relaxed/Natura/Texlaxed/Transitioning: Texlaxed, transitioning to relaxed
Goal Month: At least by Dec "13
Current Reggie and styling choices:
Sew-in
What do you plan on changing (if anything) to make it to APL?
Taking hairfinity vits and growth aids (red pimento oil and sulfur mix oil)
setting a regime and sticking to it
Post a beginning picture
will post one after I take out my sew-in

I'm in!! This will work perfectly with my own Blog challenge that I do (the Take Better Care of My Hair Challenge). Sign me up!

I've just trimmed 1 1/2" off my ends. It was all damaged and split so had to go. I don't know why I hung on to those raggedy ends so long. So now I'm ready for the challenge in January. :woot:

I washed with a moisturizing shampoo and DCd Sunday. I've been rocking my faux puff since. I kinda like it.

Attachments

• image-344366661.jpg
    image-344366661.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 41
BEAUTYU2U - Please add me!

Current hair length

My current length is Full SL/CBL

Relaxed/Natura/Texlaxed/Transitioning

Transitioning Texlaxed (I have been transitioning to texlaxed hair since 6/21/12)

Goal Month

Not sure. I'm not extremely far away. Lets say Full APL by 8/2013. This includes two more 20 week relaxer stretches; which I highly doubt I will need. But I am going to need to trim after my 20 week stretch ends March 28th. So, I will give it a full 20 weeks thereafter to by full APL, possibly BSB.

Current Reggie and styling choices

Current regiment includes: Co-washing 2x weekly, DC'ing whenever water touches my hair, Poo'ing every 7-10 days, PS'ing exclusively (to include indirect heat with rollersets and wet wraps), NO HEAT until 1/1/12, then every three months thereafter, supplement intake and no HIH disease.

What do you plan on changing (if anything) to make it to APL?

I want to increase my water intake by 200%!

Post a beginning picture

image-3033097611.jpg

Attachments

• image-3147483799.jpg
    image-3147483799.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:
Hello ladies!

I am joining the APL 2013 challenge as well and I'm ready to grow! I'm excited to be part of this group :yawn:
  1. Current hair length: SL
  2. Relaxed/Natura/Texlaxed/Transitioning: Natural
  3. Goal Month: Sept 5th, my birthday!
  4. Current Reggie and styling choices: Co-wash 3x a week. The 3rd time including a DC. Protective styles during the work week which will be buns, braid outs or twists. Weekends wear out for a change. Continue to use my fingers only to detangle and style. Products I use are Shea moisture cream, eco gel and V05 conditioners. No shampoos and no heat.
  5. What do you plan on changing (if anything) to make it to APL?: Do mostly wet bunning which I never have done before. Keep ends tucked in during the work week.

Attachments

• 11-25-12 Unedited.jpg
    11-25-12 Unedited.jpg
    533 KB · Views: 37
Back