APL`13 Challenge

shidagirl

Hey ladies!

Just checking in. Took my sew in out on Friday after 2 months and it's so nice to run my fingers through my scalp lol. Still waiting to post my official beginning pic but here's one I took yesterday in Ikea...ha.

Also, any of you have any twist updo ideas?

image-1903870519.jpg

Brwnbeauti

LovLeeLaDee said:
That is cute! I don't like the full weaves that make me look like I have no hairline lol that looks very natural! What type of hair is that? Plus, how do you say "I want a natural looking weave?" no enclosure thing, just make it look like a real hairline.

I don't remember if I ever responded sorry for the delay. That was box spring synthetic hair. It's sew in hair. Just go in there and open some hair, have an honest friend with you who can tell you if it matches. Do NOT trust those hair store employees! For me the synthetic hair works better for the curly look, I just left a bang piece out and twisted it and pulled small pieces back, pinning them so the track would be covered. I did it myself, my hair was cornrowed straight back with a little left out only at the front, no sides needed because they are covered with the curls, I also would wear a small head band a little bit up for where the weave started so I had my little hump up front making it look more realistic.

londonfog

Co-washed last night w/ Suave Almond /Shea Butter & I’m not sure whether I prefer this one or the Herbal Essence Hello Hydration better. They both do a pretty sufficient job. Did a moisturizing DC w/ Elasta QP DPR & wrapped. M & S’d today & used Pine Tar & Castor oil on my edges. Wrapped my hair up all day long. Cantu Shea Butter leave-in conditioner is the bomb!! I’ve been using it for a month now (which has been about 8 times so far) & my hair feels super great after I un-wrap it the next morning!! :yep: Been keeping up w/ my vitamins everyday also. My hair has gotten a lot thicker & I’m thinking of Texlaxing from now on instead of relaxing for the simple fact that my hair feels so limp when its bone straight from relaxing. I prefer the way that it feels a few weeks after relaxing when it has some texture to it. Going to do some more research on it though. I plan on stretching for 12 weeks if possible & I’m just passed 6 weeks right now so I have plenty of time to figure it out.

MKBeauty

Current hair length
Shoulder

Relaxed/Natura/Texlaxed/Transitioning
I guess I'm natural.......not really by choice - just haven't had a relaxer in almost a year. I've been wearing wigs.

Goal Month
Dec

Current Reggie and styling choices
I'll be wearing protective styles. Not really sure yet on products.

What do you plan on changing (if anything) to make it to APL?
Be consistent.

Post a beginning picture
Coming Soon.

TheVioletVee

Current Length: Neck Length, Relaxed

Goal Month: December 2013

Current Regimen:
Co-wash up to 4x a week
Shampoo every 2 weeks
M&S 1x daily
Light Protein when needed
DC at least once weekly
Clarify when needed
Relax beyond 14 weeks post
Dust every month

What I'm changing: I'm stretching relaxers longer than before, adding regular dusting to prevent the accumulation of thin & split ends, doing more protein for strength, keeping my hair off my clothes, & manipulating my hair way less (detangling once a week). Basically I'm changing everything, lol, but it'll be a change for the better

I plan to get to APL by protective styling (buns) 4-5x per week all year. It's not really clear on the picture, but I measured and from the bottom of my neck to my arm pit is 4-4.5 inches. I also am going to try using growth aids.

IMG_20121114_232900-1.jpg

IMG_20121114_224252.jpg

Last edited:

yaya24

♥Naija°Texan • Realtor • SPX Options #RichAunty●♡•
I feel like i need to join this challenge vs the bsl 13'. I did a huge blunt cut today and i feel like im SL. Please add me to this challenge.

Last edited:

pearlific1

Last night I straightened my hair for the first time since my cut back in Aug after my huge detangling setback. I also trimmed less than a half inch. I will probably do length checks and trim every 3-4 months until I'm satisfied with my ends at APL.

Attachments

• SDC18108.jpg
    SDC18108.jpg
    408.1 KB · Views: 81

miraclediva

Hi lovely ladies :hiya:

This is my 1st post, been lurking for a while, but never posted...so again hello!

Current hair length
My hair is currently around neck length (goal is a little ambitious, but I figure, why not?)

Relaxed/Natural/Texlaxed/Transitioning
I'm completely natural

Goal Month
December 2013

Reggie is wash and DC once per week, apply Giovanni leave-in or Elasta QP mango butter, bantu-knot (or twist) and done.

Plan on wearing buns once it's long enough.

I've attached my starting pic, hope it worked. I straightened it (not very successfully) for this challenge, but I usually don't.

Good luck to everyone!!

Attachments

• 100_1612rsz30.jpg
    100_1612rsz30.jpg
    123.8 KB · Views: 54

yaya24

Regimen

Wash, DC and blowdry weekly - 1x every other week
Senna 1x a month

Wear hair is PS (twists, twisted out bun, wigs)

Current hair length
CBL

Natural

Goal Month
June 2013

Nothing.
I FINALLY have my regimen mastered.

SincerelyBeautiful

Washed and deep conditioned this Saturday then wore my hair in a knot out. Will try to maintain this hairstyle till the end of the week. I will M&S nightly and knot back up. Just to maintain the style. I'm getting closer to APL for my front and sides already and I'm excited cause my back reached APL fairly quickly.

Sent from my iPad using LHCF

PinkyPromise

I put braids all over my head so I look like Coolio. LOL. I was going to take them down for a braid out, but I think I'll keep them in since I'm off today and staying in the house.

londonfog

My hair has been ridiculously dry from sweating underneath my wig when I work out. So I’ve decided that I’m going to do some kinky twists to be able to maintain my hair & be comfortable working out. I’ll co-wash & DC on Thursday night. Then M&S Friday morning & start working on my twists Friday night. I have never done my own braids & I’m not sure how long it’s going take me so I’m giving myself about 4 hours Friday night & all of Saturday to work on them.

yaya24

Tomorrow is wash day.
Planning on prepooing, shampooing doing a quick protein and then DC overnight.

Friday I will rinse, blowdry and re-twist my hair for the week.

I need to get on it early Friday morning because I have a lunch scheduled at noon.

Next week is my cassia week.

shanese21

Current hair length
SL

Relaxed

Goal Month
Hopefully July (birth month) but I'll say December to be safe

Shampoo + deep condition weekly
Protein treatments weekly to biweekly
M&S daily, PSing
- No changes to the reggie as of yet, its been working quite well for me at the moment

Starting Pictures

Attachments

• DSC_1040.jpg
    DSC_1040.jpg
    171 KB · Views: 52
  • DSC_1041.jpg
    DSC_1041.jpg
    222.5 KB · Views: 43
  • DSC_1045.jpg
    DSC_1045.jpg
    115.5 KB · Views: 56

BEAUTYU2U

For those who didn't "like" the original post and want to be added to the list of challengers, just tag me or PM me so I can remember to do it soon. Thanks. :drunk:

Brwnbeauti

I had my wisdom tooth pulled today and took tomorrow off...it's going to be a home salon day, dc, protein, air drying.

I can't wait.

Last edited:

itismehmmkay

Going back to headbands as a protective style. So I don't have to worry about my hands being in it. And I've only been greasing and rolling my hair. Other than that nothing. Don't think I'll wash it this weekend.

plumcherry1986

Current hair length
Shoulder lenghth

Natural

Goal Month
March

PrePoo with Elucence MBC, Castor oil, Coconut oil, Jojoba oil, Honey, and Rosemary oil
Shampoo and Deep condition with Mixed Chicks DC.
And I will altenate between braidouts and flat ironing (in moderation)

Nothing, really.

Post a beginning picture
Soon!

prettybyrd

Current hair length
NL - I plan to hit SL by March, and I think that I can make APL late next year with the proper care and maintenance. This will be a real challenge for me.

Natural

Goal Month
December 2012

Saturday: Cleanse, DC, LOC and braid.
Wednesday: Mist hair with water and AVG mixture, seal with oil, top with a light cream, braid, and cover
Daily: Un-braid and fluff hair or wear french braids

No direct heat and protective styles 24/7

Post a beginning picture
Will post at the end of the month

TheVioletVee

I want to try using aloe vera juice/gel and see how my hair responds to it. Also, co-washing is working so great for me. I love using my Suave Almond and Shea Butter Conditioner. My hair always feels so moisturized afterwards.

Current hair length - SL
Relaxed/Natura/Texlaxed/Transitioning - natural
Goal Month - Dec 2013
Current Reggie and styling choices - I plan to be in a sew in all year. So I will need a totally new reggie
What do you plan on changing (if anything) to make it to APL? hide my hair all year. I currently wear a WNG pretty much everyday and thats not going to cut it.
Post a beginning picture - I will post a pic of my hair blown out before I get my hair done next week.

felic1

Hello Everyone:
My true 2 year napturalversary will be in January. I did hope to be APL in December but I have not had my last length check. If I am not APL, it iiiiiisssss
a journey. It is growing and healthy although I di have some breakage after those Sengalese twists that I had to have in the summer. I have to have more respect for my hair after that.

I am natural and have had my hair straightened last December, June for a length check and trim and now I need a new one. I will get it this month.

Because I had a triangle shaped loss near the right crown, I have not had nor will have any extensions until after I have had a full recovery.

I am not looking at the original posting. I use either come clean, whip my hair, go moist or Shea Moisture Black soap shampoo if I need buildup removed.
I use either a bentonite or Rhassoul clay treatment once a month with ACV.
I use Alter Ego Garlic conditioner. I have a variety of deep conditioners Vanilla Silk, MD peach honey, coffee kokum, and I used some SSI okra and mocha silk recently.
Because of the breakage I bought a bottle of Aphogee 2 step. I have a few portions that look like they are raveling. I have a steamer and a standing dryer at home. I am at my mothers and should find a bonnet portable in the basement.

I have used henna in the past but am reluctant to use it at the moment because of the breakage. So I will wait until next year to use it.

I have been doing JB castor oil massages for the scalp and in the breakage area especially. I have also been using monistat on the patch. I moisture and seal using the loc method. I am trying to use up this claudie's that I have.
I spray with braid spray(Claudies) use MD argan oil combo, JBCO to ends and use claudies quinoa or ends insurance on my ends. I baggy a few nights a week and wear a bonnet. My hair is cornrowed.

Because of the breakage, I felt very self conscious. I decided to braid and let it rest. I bought about 13 wigs online. Today I wore creta girl for the first time. She has a lot of red in it. The hair grade is nice. I initially felt like a pumpkin with all that color but I have to switch up sometimes.

I am using viviscal in the daytime, Nioxin in the evening. I can't take too much shellfish type vitamins. I take b complex, Multi, zinc, garlic, biotin 5000, and 2 Dong quai root daily. I got burnt out taking those MSM capsules. I need an easier source to swallow. I am eating a better diet but not enough water and exercise.:grin:

Attachments

• 2012-07-06 16.01.10.jpg
    2012-07-06 16.01.10.jpg
    250.8 KB · Views: 33
  • 2012-07-06 16.13.06 (1).jpg
    2012-07-06 16.13.06 (1).jpg
    258 KB · Views: 27
Last edited: