APL 2012 Challenge

VictoriousBrownFlower

So I did a braidout the other day using aloe vera gel as a holding product. It came out great. Of course I took pics of it and I couldnt believe how much its grown from just 3 months ago.

This is a braidout I did on the 7th of april. 3 months ago

Here goes my braidout from yesterday

The Princess

Geez my new growth is dry. Will oil with castor oil tonight. I'm still on my six month stretch. ( I know I said 1year, but will see at six months).

The Princess

Haven't posted in a while, but I subscribed to this thread and keep up with it thru email.

Probabaly won't post pictures any time soon. I took progress pics the other day-- it'd been three months since I took the last one. My hair has grown an inch. One whole, funky a** inch in three freakin months. I'm so annoyed and discouraged.

Tiffers, cheer up.

pookaloo83

tiffers said:
Haven't posted in a while, but I subscribed to this thread and keep up with it thru email.

Probabaly won't post pictures any time soon. I took progress pics the other day-- it'd been three months since I took the last one. My hair has grown an inch. One whole, funky a** inch in three freakin months. I'm so annoyed and discouraged.

I'm feeling like you. I just been lurking in here. I'll post in September and see where I'm at.

Sent From Mah Phone

livinthevida

JazzyOleBabe. :lachen: Wait, you said your crown could direct ships and tugboats? I've had frustration with my hair too, but have not been able to describe it the funny way you did.

livinthevida Ruh-oh, she's an APL ninja and super hero too? Do that Charlie's Angel :brucelee:.

pelohello, Oh I feel your pain. That happened to me too in the crown and then the thing went and got infected. Hang in there. BTW, your hair looks really good. When I got chemical burns, mines fell out:(
MeowMix :rofl: to that :brucelee: action! :lol: I'm really getting better at taking pictures! unless its a video I'll try to avoid snapping any future pictures in sloooooow moooooootion ;)

mami2010

lamaria211
Thanks I will try to have someone take the pic for me with my arms down later this week. I don't think I'm no where near apl. Im guessing by the end of the year I will be apl.

Last edited:

livinthevida

So I did a braidout the other day using aloe vera gel as a holding product. It came out great. Of course I took pics of it and I couldnt believe how much its grown from just 3 months ago.

This is a braidout I did on the 7th of april. 3 months ago

Here goes my braidout from yesterday
Great results & growth BronxJazzy! Your hair looks really soft and shiny :yep:

Your Cheeziness

I'm back from vacation and I just don't have the stamina to try to catch up with this thread. I know I would have to read 50 pages :nono: So I'm just going to pretend nothing happened while I was away.

Congratulations to all the APL graduates that graduated while I was away. :congrats:

I do this every time I come in here. In my head, we're still on page 3. :lol:

mami2010

ronie
Thanks I have been focusing on thickness lately and not so much growth. This time around for next check in I will be focusing on length more and I need to start protective styling more. I purchased a few wigs I will be rocking to September.

By the way my workout routine consists of 45 minutes jogging outside (5 days per week at 5am before my 2 children wake up). Then I come back into the house and do 3-4 sets of 15 push ups 50 situps. Lately on Saturdays which is my off days I do squats(20) all the way to the floor and some lunges.

After I had my 2 children I was 170 lbs. that was about 5 years ago. Now I am 114 lbs. I stayed determined and put myself through boot camps every once in awhile.

Working out first thing in the morning without eating you will get the best results. If you do choose to eat before working out eat only something with protein only like egg whites. Sometimes I have a cup of black coffee no cream no sugar. After my workouts I drink a shake Syntha 6 protein powder mixed with ultra fuel which is a carbohydrate.

I could go on and about working out. If you need any more tips just inbox me. Working out is my passion and would love to have my own gym one day. Soon I will be starting a blog on working out. Once I do I will let you know.

kristaa.10

I'm still in too, I'm just really good at lurking! Congrats to all the grads :)

I put in my own senegalese twists last Monday, so they've been in for a week.. . And they are already fuzzy. Oh well. I'm thinking I may keep them in (redoing of course) until our next checkin because a) I'm tired of my hair and b) maybe it will help me get over the CBL hump. Three months in braids will at least give me some time to miss my hair at least. I have about 2 inches of hair to grow to graze APL, so I'm crossing my fingers that this PS will help me retain some length.

Mjon912

Checking in...my braiding skills must suck big time, my braids look a week old and it's only day 2... I can literally pull strands of hair out of a braid..I'd if it's because I just got a relaxer or if my hairs just to soft or if I really need more braiding practice but this is awful...I will be takin these bad boys out at the end of the week =\

growbaby

Hey ladies, just checking in. I'm doin well, just did a protein treatment n put my hair in 2 french braids. Check the ng at 6 weeks post! :)

image-2368681725.jpg

longhairdreaming

I'm back from vacation and I just don't have the stamina to try to catch up with this thread. I know I would have to read 50 pages :nono: So I'm just going to pretend nothing happened while I was away.

Congratulations to all the APL graduates that graduated while I was away. :congrats:

:lachen: That's how I'm about to feel in a few days.

Hey ladies, still in my braids over here. Going to redo them tomorrow before heading on vacation(then home to the US!!! yay). I was going to try to do a cute style but I'll just use my assortment of scarves like I've been doing for the past three months. I have learned though I need to take my conditioner with me for these two week jaunts and cowash every couple days at least. I know I'm truly hair obsessed 'cause of all my concerns I could possibly have(getting my house in order 'cause I'll be gone 6weeks, making sure not to exceed the weight allowance for my luggage, navigating my way to the chunnel) not knowing if the areas I'll be visiting have hard water or not has been nagging me :perplexed...sad but true

gvin89

Shrinkage is the devil! So thanks to NikkiQ, I tried Celie's for the first time to stretch/airdry. 8 didn't work...they were too fat so I had to divide them into smaller sections...ended up with about 16. Needless to say the hair stretched and wasn't too dry/knotty. The back plaits rest on my shoulders/front very close to my chin...that's a first. It was actually a little easier to twist. I've decided to join faithVA with trying the curly girl method since I've been having issues with moisture retention.

Last edited:

lamaria211

growbaby said:
Hey ladies, just checking in. I'm doin well, just did a protein treatment n put my hair in 2 french braids. Check the ng at 6 weeks post! :)

Im lovin those braids theyre simple but your hair looks great in them:)

Evolving78

i washed and dc'ed my hair yesterday, but i haven't rinsed the conditioner out yet. i have just been so lazy. i gotta take my kids to the pool this morning, so i know if i rinse now, i will be going out the house with rollers because i don't have time to sit under the dryer and get everybody dressed on time. i will just throw on a hat or scarf and wait until i get back home.

longhairdreaming

NikkiQ I'll be touring various parts of Europe and I'm not sure where to find out about the water situation in each place(plus I think it's a bit much figuring out the water quality for 12 cities)

NikkiQ

Ladies...question time!!!

As this weather gets more and more ridiculously hot out, what are you guys doing to make sure that your hair stays moisturized and protected? What moisturizers are you using? Protecting your hair from exposure with scarves? Trying any different techniques to make sure your hair stays moisturized longer?

gvin89

pelohello said:
I finally took pics of my scalp burns and I wa almost in tears. I hadn't realized how bad it was. I have no idea what could of caused this on just one side of my head.

I stopped using vaseline on the burns and started using JBCO and pure argon oil. That seems to be helping. Will that area grow back? I think I'm gonna post this on the relaxed thread too.

I am really upset about this:perplexed

Sorry you're going through this pelohello...when I was relaxed I had a stylist burn my nape and edges so I know how it feels. Neoaporin worked for me and vitamin e oil. I also used a creamy moisturizer to rub and loosen scan after it was no longer tender. Did rinses with cool water and did not scratch/agitate that area during next wash...took me a few weeks to completely heal but my hair in the nape grew bac well...edges not so much. I still have trouble wth edges but do believe that its all due to over processing/over stressing that area with relaxers and styling.

Lurkee

Hello Ladies,

I took a little break from hair. I stopped DCing. I only shampoo and condition after each swimming session. I don't even know if my hair is breaking/shedding. After washing, it goes straight into a wet pony. I need to go back to caring for my hair but cannot muster the energy.

*long sigh*

I hope everyone is doing better and achieving their goals.

Deep down, I am hoping the low manipulation will let me reach my goal of full APL by year's end. :ohwell:

Your Cheeziness

Ladies...question time!!!

As this weather gets more and more ridiculously hot out, what are you guys doing to make sure that your hair stays moisturized and protected? What moisturizers are you using? Protecting your hair from exposure with scarves? Trying any different techniques to make sure your hair stays moisturized longer?

I got individual box braids and I moisturizer with my spray leave in conditioners. I use an essential oil blend on my scalp and so far so good. For me, low manipulation and protective styling is best because it's just too hot for me to stay on top of my hair like I want to.

afroette

do you ladies know of an alternative to oils for sealing? i tried reg castor oil, JBCO, jojoba oil, and coconut oil. I think they are all too much for my hair. Should I use some sort of butter?

ETA: I need something lighter than oil. I am going to try Chi Silk infusion.

Last edited: