~*~*Break Out Your Castor Oil - 2010 Edition~*~*

BrownEyez22

I would like to join this challenge, I have the jbco and the regular clear cold pressed kind. I use the clear on my ends and jbco on my hairline and nape (when I remember).

This will help me remember to do scalp massages.

Here's my starting picture Feb 2010

Last edited:

Vintageglam

Looking forward to starting this challenge....but...

......I am still waiting on my Castor Oil from www.jamaicancastoroil.com (ordered thru ebay mid December last year - @ the 17th). I paid Priority shipping to the UK which should take about 1 week but it still hasn't arrived. I ordered two bottles of Lavender. I had already tried some as a family member given me a small amount and liked it so decided to take the plunge and order two whole bottles.

Anyway I called them up last Friday and was assured that it would be shipped ASAP and they would refund me the shipping costs as I had paid Priority and it hadn't been shipped Priority (apparently they have HUGE back-orders and are running a little behind). Anyway fast-forward to today and I call again to find out where my JBCO is and I speak to another Family member/ business owner (Donovan).

I was all up in complaint mode ready to be a pain but to tell the truth he was really nice, apologised profusely and they have said that they will refund me the whole amount and still send me out the JBCO for free to apologise for all the hassles and chasing I have had to do.

Must admit tho that I was very impressed by their cutomer service skills and customer handling. Its not often you get companies that are willing to put things right.

Anyway ladies I will keep you all updated on this one and hopefully I will have my JBCO ready for this challenge in Feb.....:rolleyes:

*Muffin*

is it bad to use clear cold pressed castor oil on your scalp? should only JBCO be used on the scalp?

A lot of members of this challenge are using regular, cold pressed castor oil (like me). I've used Palma de Christi unrefined castor oil (which is not black castor oil--it has a dark gold color), and I've experienced no problems with it, and have noticed increased growth just as those using JBCO have. As long as the oil isn't causing you to have allergic reactions, all should be well. JBCO is the ideal oil, but it's not the only form of castor oil that works for hair growth. Maybe someone else can chime in :).

charmtreese

......I am still waiting on my Castor Oil from www.jamaicancastoroil.com (ordered thru ebay mid December last year - @ the 17th). I paid Priority shipping to the UK which should take about 1 week but it still hasn't arrived. I ordered two bottles of Lavender. I had already tried some as a family member given me a small amount and liked it so decided to take the plunge and order two whole bottles.

Anyway I called them up last Friday and was assured that it would be shipped ASAP and they would refund me the shipping costs as I had paid Priority and it hadn't been shipped Priority (apparently they have HUGE back-orders and are running a little behind). Anyway fast-forward to today and I call again to find out where my JBCO is and I speak to another Family member/ business owner (Donovan).

I was all up in complaint mode ready to be a pain but to tell the truth he was really nice, apologised profusely and they have said that they will refund me the whole amount and still send me out the JBCO for free to apologise for all the hassles and chasing I have had to do.

Must admit tho that I was very impressed by their cutomer service skills and customer handling. Its not often you get companies that are willing to put things right.

Anyway ladies I will keep you all updated on this one and hopefully I will have my JBCO ready for this challenge in Feb.....:rolleyes:

I called today inquiring about my order, and I found customer service to be really pleasant as well.

*Muffin*

question, can the cold pressed castor oil be used on my scalp while pregnant :perplexed?

Hello, growingstrong. I really can't give you a direct answer to this question. I know that castor oil is a very detoxifying oil, and has emollient properties for both hair and skin. I also know it is a very penetrable oil. It is generally regarded as safe (I found articles that said coconut oil is safe to use during pregnancy, and it is also a penetrable oil) but have not found any articles that said castor oil of any kind is safe to use topically during pregnancy. When taken internally while pregnant, castor oil is said to induce labor. If you want to be safe, don't use the castor oil while pregnant until you find out for sure if it's safe or not. Hopefully other ladies who have been preggers and have used castor oil topically can chime in.

Meanwhile, here's an article that speaks a bit about castor oil and it's properties. Maybe it can help you to make an informed decision. Also, on practically every site I went to, they say that essential oils should definitely be avoided while pregnant (at least the majority of them), so be sure to avoid those. We want that baby coming out healthy :yep:. Hope this helps, and congratulations on your pregnancy :).

growinstrong

thx so much for this info :yep:.

Hello, growingstrong. I really can't give you a direct answer to this question. I know that castor oil is a very detoxifying oil, and has emollient properties for both hair and skin. I also know it is a very penetrable oil. It is generally regarded as safe (I found articles that said coconut oil is safe to use during pregnancy, and it is also a penetrable oil) but have not found any articles that said castor oil of any kind is safe to use topically during pregnancy. When taken internally while pregnant, castor oil is said to induce labor. If you want to be safe, don't use the castor oil while pregnant until you find out for sure if it's safe or not. Hopefully other ladies who have been preggers and have used castor oil topically can chime in.

Meanwhile, here's an article that speaks a bit about castor oil and it's properties. Maybe it can help you to make an informed decision. Also, on practically every site I went to, they say that essential oils should definitely be avoided while pregnant (at least the majority of them), so be sure to avoid those. We want that baby coming out healthy :yep:. Hope this helps, and congratulations on your pregnancy :).

BlackGeisha

Wow that is frustrating, but at least they are customer friendly! :yep:

BlackGeisha

is it bad to use clear cold pressed castor oil on your scalp? should only JBCO be used on the scalp?

No, I don't see why one one brand would be healthier than another brand. Unrefined or refined as long as the castor oil is safe to use topically than you should not have a problem. Heck the clear cold pressed is made to be taken internally I don't see why it would be harmful to put on your scalp. :yep:

thanks for your question :drunk:

btw- are you interested in joining the challenge?

Last edited:

orangepeel

wow that was quick. I ordered my CO from Sam's on the 13th and it arrived this morning. hooray! I'm going to use JBCO when we begin and use my generic stuff for pre-poos and steam treatments.

NJoy

Here I grow again!
FedEx should be delivering my package today. I ordered 2 bottles but will be giving one to my mom, who is recovering her hair after chemo.

BlackGeisha

wow that was quick. I ordered my CO from Sam's on the 13th and it arrived this morning. hooray! I'm going to use JBCO when we begin and use my generic stuff for pre-poos and steam treatments.

Sams is quick and efficient, I ordered some of the JBCO Glorious Crown Protein Conditioning Treatment and it arrived before I could ask myself "I wonder where my package is?" :yep:

**SaSSy**

3rd Big Chop on 7/18/2016
This might seem like an odd question, but is Jamaican black castor oil the same as Haitian castor oil?

BlackGeisha

FedEx should be delivering my package today. I ordered 2 bottles but will be giving one to my mom, who is recovering her hair after chemo.

I offered my mom a bottle of JBCO, she said it was too sticky. She likes the Heritage Brand better, so I'm going to mix her a special batch. :grin:

All the best to your recovering mom! :yep:

BlackGeisha

This might seem like an odd question, but is Jamaican black castor oil the same as Haitian castor oil?

I read in one of the older threads here on LHCF that JBCO is the same as Haitian Castor Oil but the Haitian castor oil is stronger, has a more defined smell. Some ladies thought it smelled the same as JBCO and some ladies felt that the Haitian castor oil not only had a stronger smell but was more organic and gave better results. Let me see if I can find the thread so you can read it yourself. :drunk:

found it!
www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=370198
www.longhaircareforum.com/archive/index.php/t-370198.html
www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=125684

Last edited:
Can I join?

My starter pic is my avatar plus the one that's at the end of my signature. I currently use the clear 100% castor oil on my scalp and to moisturize and seal (along with coconut oil).

LaidBak

I was on a quest a while back to get some of that Hatian Oil (H'uille d'Mascerti--or however you spell it). I couldn't find it so that's when I discovered JBCO.

BlackGeisha

Can I join?

My starter pic is my avatar plus the one that's at the end of my signature. I currently use the clear 100% castor oil on my scalp and to moisturize and seal (along with coconut oil).

Of course you can! :yep:

I was on a quest a while back to get some of that Hatian Oil (H'uille d'Mascerti--or however you spell it). I couldn't find it so that's when I discovered JBCO.

Naw your not gonna find that Haitian Castor Oil in any store. You gotta hit the streets for that. :lachen: Here in Miami I would go to Little Haiti for that. You have to get it exclusively from a Haitian or in a Haitian neighborhood.

Diamond75

Maybe I didn't look through enough threads, but do you ladies order your JBCO online or is it easy to find in a beauty supply store?

I'm not sure I've seen it in my local store, but Atlanta is big and I could probably find it.

Thanks

BlackGeisha

Diamond, Some ladies here have ordered it online, I can get mine at a local beauty supply. Do a search "JBCO in Atlanta" and see what comes up. There may be a place near you where you can pick it up.

BlackGeisha

:perplexed Refined, Unrefined, Cold Pressed. What does it all mean? :perplexed

Cold Pressed - A method of mechanical extraction where heat is reduced and minimized throughout the batching of the raw material. This helps the oil maintain its original state, constituents, and depth. Temperatures are rigorously controlled to ensure that it does not exceed 80-90 degrees Fahrenheit. Although not a practical method of extraction for all vegetable oils on the market it is highly regarded as the extraction method of choice.

Expeller Pressed - A method of natural, mechanical extraction and processing of oils where a small amount of heat is produced simply through the frictional heat created by hydraulic presses. This is usually around 120-200 degrees Fahrenheit and makes the oil suitable and economical as a base for cosmetics because of its fairly undisturbed molecular state. It also makes a fine food grade oil.

Refined
- A fully processed oil where it has been exposed to all methods of refinement including a flash fluctuation in temperature as high as 450 degrees and winterization as low as -30 degrees, deodorization, which removes the heavy and often unsettling odor in oil, and finally bleaching, where natural clays and other mediums are used to alter or remove an oils color, and scent. This makes for an economical oil in cosmetics and body care products, but it is not the healthiest as a food grade oil.

Partially Refined - A process where only some of the methods available are employed to produce a manufactured oil. Only one or two of the three available methods are used in a partially refined oil. These include, but are not limited to; deodorization, winterization and natural bleaching. These methods are used for oils which have been known historically to go rancid quickly, and they are also used to further stabilize an oil or remove its heavy odor and deep color.

Unrefined - A process of mechanical extraction and screen filtering where no additional refining process has taken place. This ensures the finest quality product and makes the oil the most exquisite for food and cosmetic preparation. The unrefined process helps oil retain a rich, strong flavor and color that is true to its natural state. Unrefined oils are always darker in color and richer in scent.

Hope this helps! :yep: