BSL 2012 Challenge!!!

coolsista-paris
Didn't you see my messed up length shirt? Go ahead and make yours! You can still track your growth. The lines don't have to be straight for you to measure how much you have grown.

GreenEyedJen
I see ya girl! You're right, you're definitely on track to make it BEFORE the end of the year ;)

Finally got a chance to add those pictures to my previous post. By the time I got to take the pictures my hair had got a little fuzzy from taking a shower and I refused to put more heat on it. Still enjoying my straight hair and loving the thickness of it.

GreenEyedJen said:
Hey ladies! I updated not too long ago, and my last post I told y'all that I had braids and was planning on staying in them until finals were over. Well, that didn't work. I have officially given up the hope of staying in any style longer than a week. My hair is just too fine for that, and I loose more hair than I would have had I let it stay loose the entire time. Hopefully when it gets longer I'll just be able to wear it in a bun all the time, like I did when I was relaxed.

Anyway, I took my hair out and tried to do a rollerset which was a miserable failure. Before I braided my hair up for my usual braidout, I snapped some pictures. I trimmed my hair a bit after my last update picture, and thankfully I'm still happy with my length.

I'm about to get to the pictures, but let me say one more thing. I'm on a journey to lose the 20 lbs. I put on between August and January due to being back in academia. Anyway, my last update the line for APL was around number five. Now it looks like my APL line is number three. I'm going to first post one of the pictures from my last update, and then my new ones so you guys can help me out. If what I'm seeing is correct, the only thing I can think is that I've lost some weight! I would be so excited if that's the case.

Anyway, here you go:

FROM LAST UPDATE

YESTERDAY

THIS IS JUST A PICTURE OF THE BACK OF THE SHIRT WITH MY ARM DOWN

Looking at the numbers as they lay now, my goal of BSB is the number six (you can see where the shirt indents a bit in my back where the bottoms of my shoulder blades are). Looks like I'm still on track to hit goal by years end.

i get fuzzy hair so fast ( i have fin hair too) breaks easily .protein is my friend and conrows under wig is my best ps ever ! try it out.

alle others just break my hair..twists are à no no!

this is today shot!!! Although I had setback and have been trimming every month since january ( to eliminate the damage hair), I am happy as I can still see progress. I think I am not very far from BSB and hopefully by the end of the year I will be BSL/MBL (wear my bra low).
Now, I will be dusting every 8 weeks and do hard protein every 8 weeks as well!

Attachments

• S1240015.jpg
    S1240015.jpg
    305.4 KB · Views: 34
g.lo said:
this is today shot!!! Although I had setback and have been trimming every month since january ( to eliminate the damage hair), I am happy as I can still see progress. I think I am not very far from BSB and hopefully by the end of the year I will be BSL/MBL (wear my bra low).
Now, I will be dusting every 8 weeks and do hard protein every 8 weeks as well!

great length .that would best bsl on me! you are definetly there this year!

Length check:

1st pic - Starting length
2nd, 3rd and 4th pic - Where I was a month ago (mistakenly did a length check)
5th, 6th and 7th pic - Last night (6th and 7th will be in next post)

Attachments

• image-4156825985.jpg
    image-4156825985.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 20
  • photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    243.9 KB · Views: 14
  • photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    243.7 KB · Views: 18
  • photo 3.JPG
    photo 3.JPG
    248.2 KB · Views: 17
  • photo 4.JPG
    photo 4.JPG
    113.9 KB · Views: 18
6th and 7th from ^

I can definitely see thickness between last month and this month.

Attachments

• photo 6.JPG
    photo 6.JPG
    112.7 KB · Views: 82
  • photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    38.3 KB · Views: 64
g.lo said:
thank you coolsista-paris, the funny thing is in my head my hair is still very short!!!! bad case of hairnorexia!!!!

Im starting to get the desease too. !!! i used to find Apl long. now that i have Apl...i.need mbl at least to feel there is length.

Last edited:
grrr! i SO wish i had taken pictures after i did my little choppy chop. it's been a month since i did it and i was just moisturizing my hair and i was saying the other day that i cant really tell if it's grown in the back...well, i think it HAS. man! why didnt i take pictures...i'm pretty sure of it. when i cut, i cut to the top of my armpit and now it seems like it's moving down.

i really need to be better about photo taking. i was never big on taking pictures during any part of my journey.

but hooray

So I detangled today after wearing braids with my own hair for about 6 1/2 weeks. It took me about 6 hours to finish because I had to undo the braids detangle a section, twist and move to a new section. I don't think I lost much hair, but I do have one concern. About a quarter of the hair looked like breakage to me. Some long pieces, and some short pieces. I'm kinda freaked out about it. I'll post a picture of all the hair in a ball so you judge what a quarter of it is. I will say that before I started my HHJ in October I was not nice to my hair. By that I mean I was downright brutal. I would wash and condition, air dry in a poof, then tie it down with a bandana, and put a hat on my head until the poof damn near dreaded. I would rip through it to detangle with like a wig brush, then start all over. I was baaaaddd. Could I still be experiencing breakage from that? I think I have a really good reggie, but this breakage ugh! Is all breakage something to be concerned about?

Attachments

• 2012-05-02 00.46.51.jpg
    2012-05-02 00.46.51.jpg
    6.6 KB · Views: 41

Here is my update. I'll be trimming/cutting my ends soon, they are atrocious. I need to be more patient when detangle, I lose alot of hair.
:lol: @ my ashy elbow.

35a2594.jpg

rswgw0.jpg

i'm late but here is my update..sorry my last picture is of low quality. I'm going to start taking my picture exactly the same way in the same light every update because even though I think I've made a little progress I cant really tell in these pictures.
1st picture Jan
2nd picture Mar
3rd picture May

Attachments

• jan to may 2012.jpg
    jan to may 2012.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 109
Last edited:
So I detangled today after wearing braids with my own hair for about 6 1/2 weeks. It took me about 6 hours to finish because I had to undo the braids detangle a section, twist and move to a new section. I don't think I lost much hair, but I do have one concern. About a quarter of the hair looked like breakage to me. Some long pieces, and some short pieces. I'm kinda freaked out about it. I'll post a picture of all the hair in a ball so you judge what a quarter of it is. I will say that before I started my HHJ in October I was not nice to my hair. By that I mean I was downright brutal. I would wash and condition, air dry in a poof, then tie it down with a bandana, and put a hat on my head until the poof damn near dreaded. I would rip through it to detangle with like a wig brush, then start all over. I was baaaaddd. Could I still be experiencing breakage from that? I think I have a really good reggie, but this breakage ugh! Is all breakage something to be concerned about?

well it is a bit to be concerned about, but what was your hair like prior to getting it braided? how often were you moisturizing your hair and what method did you use to detangle?

you still could be experiencing damage from your previous unhealthy hair practices. what did you do after you took your braids out and detangled?

i'm late but here is my update..sorry my last picture is of low quality. I'm going to start taking my picture exactly the same way in the same light every update because even though I think I've made a little progress I cant really tell in these pictures.
1st picture Jan
2nd picture Mar
3rd picture May

I can see the progress between pic 2 and 3. With your arms up in pic 3 I can't tell how close you are to BSB but you are closing in on it. :yep:

well it is a bit to be concerned about, but what was your hair like prior to getting it braided? how often were you moisturizing your hair and what method did you use to detangle?

you still could be experiencing damage from your previous unhealthy hair practices. what did you do after you took your braids out and detangled?
I started taking care of my hair in October last year. I have no idea what type of condition it was in. I just know it couldn't be that good because of how I was treating it. I wasn't moisturizing, sealing, looking at it, nothing. I went straight into doing about 10 cornrows every two weeks. I moisturized with Elasta QP mango butter, and sealed my ends daily with coconut oil (still do). I also co-washed 4 times a week (still do). I sleep in a a whole head baggy every single night. I have been wearing individual braids for the past 12 weeks. I did my first set for 6 weeks. I take the braids out and finger detangle with water, conditioner, and coconut oil. Wash, protein treatment, deep condition, leave-in, then braid back up. I've recently added a light protein deep condition weekly, and I have yet to clarify my hair yet (doing it tomorrow). Right now my hair is in about 12 chunky twists waiting to be washed.

ETA: Progress Pics. 1st 12/30, 2nd 2/18 3rd and 4th 5/2 Flatironing on Friday so I will post those too. Excuse the rolls. I'm pregnant and working on it.

Attachments

• hair 12.30.jpg
    hair 12.30.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG187.jpg
    IMG187.jpg
    276.4 KB · Views: 93
  • 5-2.jpg
    5-2.jpg
    250.3 KB · Views: 78
  • 5-2a.jpg
    5-2a.jpg
    377.8 KB · Views: 80
Last edited:
I am under the dryer with dudley DRC28. I will follow with an overnight moisture DC, and do a sew in tomorrow. If am not too lazy I will take a progress pic but I don't have anyone to take it for me so it might not be too accurate.

I started taking care of my hair in October last year. I have no idea what type of condition it was in. I just know it couldn't be that good because of how I was treating it. I wasn't moisturizing, sealing, looking at it, nothing. I went straight into doing about 10 cornrows every two weeks. I moisturized with Elasta QP mango butter, and sealed my ends daily with coconut oil (still do). I also co-washed 4 times a week (still do). I sleep in a a whole head baggy every single night. I have been wearing individual braids for the past 12 weeks. I did my first set for 6 weeks. I take the braids out and finger detangle with water, conditioner, and coconut oil. Wash, protein treatment, deep condition, leave-in, then braid back up. I've recently added a light protein deep condition weekly, and I have yet to clarify my hair yet (doing it tomorrow). Right now my hair is in about 12 chunky twists waiting to be washed.

ETA: Progress Pics. 1st 12/30, 2nd 2/18 3rd and 4th 5/2 Flatironing on Friday so I will post those too. Excuse the rolls. I'm pregnant and working on it.

That's some good growth!!!

GroovyMama yeah you should have clarified after taking the braids down. and that's good you are starting using light protein weekly. you could just have buildup. when was the last time you trimmed your ends?

Last edited:
You guys progress is amazing!!! I dont know if I should stay in this challenge now after my trim and after seeing all these length checks. Im not even sure I'll make bsl this year now. I have to get back to APL first which is about a good two inches away. But at least this time I make APL my front will most likely be SL.

You guys progress is amazing!!! I dont know if I should stay in this challenge now after my trim and after seeing all these length checks. Im not even sure I'll make bsl this year now. I have to get back to APL first which is about a good two inches away. But at least this time I make APL my front will most likely be SL.

There are a few of us SL ladies in here KurlyNinja. So you aren't alone. Let's stay the course.

Back