Buy Nothing til Jan 09 Challenge!

Rapunzel*

I'm thinking I need to read this thread for inspiration. Sometimes I go to the BSS and just walk around. It's so ridiculous. I just can't help myself. I have so much crap, I need to open my own BSS.
well you can do that on ebay:yep:

or on the product exchange forum:grin:

Shay72

Natural, 4A
i used one pass but it was discounted and i didnt have to pay for shipping. i saved 8+ dollars
i also want to buy an ao honeysuckle rose conditioner and use it as a dc but i wont buy that until the middle of december

for my hard work and dedication i will reward myself with a table top dryer so i can get my dc/ roller set on:grin:
if its on sale at the end of december i will buy it but im trying to hold out because im in a wig until the end of this year so far so good:grin:
I got you. I will record your pass. The dryer is a great reward.

well you can do that on ebay:yep:

or on the product exchange forum:grin:
That is a good suggestion. I do it myself sometimes.

Shay72

Natural, 4A
Well, I used a pass. I went 1.5 months without buying anything related to my hair. I am proud of that. At this point I know I will use the other two passes too. Yesterday I bought odorless garlic pills. My shedding is not that bad especially since I upped the protein but I feel every little bit helps.

I'm starting to wonder if this challenge was a good idea. My list of things to buy is getting longer and longer. Two good things have come out of this challenge. I am using up what I had before moving onto new stuff. By the end of the year all of that old stuff will be done. Secondly every time I think I want to buy something I really evaluate it. Meaning I will ask myself do I really need it? Do I have something else that is already meeting that need? That has helped. So...um yeah I don't think I will ever do a no buy challenge again.

How is everyone else doing?

loulou82

Things are going smoothly on my end. I used up a liter of conditioner and a bottle of shampoo. I should be finished with another bottle of conditioner in a week. I'm going to continue the challenge until March. (Yeah I have that much crap to get rid of). But I will limit it to commercial products only (health-related items like vitamins won't count).I've re-evaluated my wish list and crossed things off that I don't want any more.

Wish List Now:
Curl Junkie Hibiscus and Banana Fix Deep Conditioner
Jessicurl Weekly DT
Oyin Juices and Berries
Aphogee Keratin and Green Tea Treatment
Elasta QP Fortifying Conditioner
HairVeda Cocasta Oil
Karen's Body Beautiful Hair Butter
Karen's Body Beautiful Hair Cream
Re-Up on Elucence MB Shampoo and Conditioner
Qhemet Biologics Burdock Root Cream

Last edited:

Shay72

Natural, 4A
Things are going smoothly on my end. I used up a liter of conditioner and a bottle of shampoo. I should be finished with another bottle of conditioner in a week. I'm going to continue the challenge until March. (Yeah I have that much crap to get rid of). But I will limit it to commercial products only (health-related items like vitamins won't count).I've re-evaluated my wish list and crossed things off that I don't want any more.

Wish List Now:
Curl Junkie Conditioner
Jessicurl Weekly DT
Oyin Juices and Berries
Aphogee Keratin and Green Tea Treatment
HairVeda Cocasta Oil
Re Up on Elucence MB Shampoo and Conditioner

Good for you :grin:! I will continue to re-evaluate my list too. I don't want to buy anything that doesn't have a use.

onejamifan

Wow, I can't believe I have managed to stick to this challenge so far! I will be using my first pass this week to buy my relaxer. So far I've finished up a bottle of shampoo, and will probably finish 2 of my DC within the next month. I guess I might need to use another pass in December to buy another DC, but so far so good :)

Shay72

Natural, 4A
Wow, I can't believe I have managed to stick to this challenge so far! I will be using my first pass this week to buy my relaxer. So far I've finished up a bottle of shampoo, and will probably finish 2 of my DC within the next month. I guess I might need to use another pass in December to buy another DC, but so far so good :)

Great job :grin:! I see you have a baby on the way. Congrats!

Shay72

Natural, 4A
I'm bumping this back up for several reasons. One I am struggling. I know I will be using a pass on Friday and one in December so I had to resist making a purchase yesterday. Folica was having a 10 hour sale.

Secondly, Seximami I just read your post in the Hairsisters thread. The pass is not per product. If you make hair related purchases on one day you use 1 pass. For example if you go to Sally's and Ulta in the same day that is still 1 pass being used.

Butterfly08

I've re-evaluated my wish list and crossed things off that I don't want any more.

This is the best part about not buying right away - often you discover that you don't need it after all. :yep:

I used one pass to buy 2 Redken shampoo, conditioner and treatment gift sets for $21 after a sale and a coupon! :grin:

I still have 2 passes left since I didn't use one in September.

Wish list:

Chi Pro Dryer ($79.95 - TS Doorbuster)
Chi or Fhi flat iron, whichever one has a better sale. I will wait until December to see what they do with the price. :grin:

Shay72

Natural, 4A
This is the best part about not buying right away - often you discover that you don't need it after all. :yep:

I used one pass to buy 2 Redken shampoo, conditioner and treatment gift sets for $21 after a sale and a coupon! :grin:

I still have 2 passes left since I didn't use one in September.

Wish list:

Chi Pro Dryer ($79.95 - TS Doorbuster)
Chi or Fhi flat iron, whichever one has a better sale. I will wait until December to see what they do with the price. :grin:

I forgot to mention in my last post that I bumped this up for you too :yep:! I couldn't remember what thread you were in saying I need to find that thread. Good point about waiting until December about the flatiron price. I will just plan to purchase the same day I buy saa for my upcoming relaxer on Jan 1st.

loulou82

Another month is almost up! I don't plan on taking advantage of the Black Friday Sales. I used up 2 more products and I really don't have a desire to buy anything.

Who's taking advantage of sales this weekend?

LivinLaughinLovin

I will have to drop out of the challenge.

I want to just say that this challenge did keep me from overspending, but I did end up buying a few more things than needed.

ajacks

I gave it the good ol' college try, but the Black Friday Sales were too much for me to pass up. I will be stocking up this weekend and starting my own personal Buy Nothing Challenge starting in January.

Shay72

Natural, 4A
I gave it the good ol' college try, but the Black Friday Sales were too much for me to pass up. I will be stocking up this weekend and starting my own personal Buy Nothing Challenge starting in January.

It doesn't matter how many different places you shop it is one pass for one day. If I give you one for today you still have one left.

Rapunzel*

It doesn't matter how many different places you shop it is one pass for one day. If I give you one for today you still have one left.
i thought 3 passes were 3 products:wallbash:

u didnt say that in the first post now i only have one more pass:ohwell:

Shay72

Natural, 4A

You're right I didn't say that in the first post but I don't understand how one pass per day no matter how much you buy is worse than 1 pass per product?

Last edited:

ajacks

You're right I didn't say that in the first post but I don't understand how one pass per day no matter how much you buy is worse than 1 pass per product?

I'm guessing she used two passes to buy two individual products on different days, so now she there is only one pass remaining. Where as I purchased tons of products each time I used a pass :drunk:

nubiangoddess3

checking in..

I havent bought anything and will try not to until I use up all my hair products ( I have 3 conditions and 1 shampoo left)

Butterfly08

I'm guessing she used two passes to buy two individual products on different days, so now she there is only one pass remaining. Where as I purchased tons of products each time I used a pass :drunk:

LOL, that's what I got out of it as well. :lachen:

I know it sucks though. :ohwell:

Shay72

Natural, 4A

Okay I get it now. I guess I should have explained it better in the OP. I shop like you do ajacks.

Shay72

Natural, 4A
I had the credit card out and shescentit.com loaded but I decided against ordering anything.

Checking in..... I'm still doing good , I have 2 passes left.

I have 2 left, whew, lol

checking in..

I havent bought anything and will try not to until I use up all my hair products ( I have 3 conditions and 1 shampoo left)

All of you are doing so well. I was doing okay until about 2 weeks ago. I'm still trying to resist buying a Sedu because I know I need to use my pass for other things.

Butterfly08

I used a pass on BF to get a Chi dryer for $85. However, it doesn't have a comb attachment and the one at Sally's doesn't fit, so it may be going back. :ohwell: If I return it, I'll go ahead and get the flat iron. :grin: I'll post updates tomorrow.

loulou82

Checking in: I'm doing so well. I still have 2 passes left but I'll probably buy a Mason Pearson comb. I'm almost done with a bottle of CFCG that I've had since last year, a bottle of BB Oil Moisturizer, and my SO finished up my TJ Nourish Spa Shampoo.