Clay Washing And High Porosity Hair

halee_J

Don't worry be happy
Hey Y'all! I am venturing into the clay world :takecover: :smile: and have some questions:

- Are you high po? Have you ever used clay in your hair?

-Did/do you like it?

-Whats your favorite clay?

Do you just add water or add other things?

ETA: Do you use it as a cleanser, mask, all in one?

TIA :rosebud:

Last edited:

snoop

I'm a clay washer. My go to right now is kaolin. It's light and much easier to wash out. I think that I used to be high po but I'm mainly normal now.

I mix it with warm water if I'm in a rush and goat's milk powder if I have more time.

I follow up with a rinse out conditioner just to be sure I get all of the clay out.

YvetteWithJoy

On break
Same as @snoop, I think that my hair used to be high po but is mainly normal now.

I've only used rhassoul clay. It was incredibly moisturizing. I used the Naturalicious clay wash (pricey) and the Sheaterra Mud Poo (a glass bottle of dry ingredients -- you take a bit and mix it with whatever you like such as water, coconut milk, yogurt, etc.).

I loved that Naturalicious clay. Ah-mazing, especially on clarified hair. :drool:

Theresamonet

Thank you! @Theresamonet does it leave your hair feeling soft or strong?

Do you always follow up with DC?

I've mostly done clay masks as a part of the max hydration method, so it would come after the deep conditioning step. It leaves my hair extremely soft, and my favorite part is that it defines the hell out of my curls and coils and reduces a lot of my frizz. I don't bother doing wash n gos anymore without doing a clay mask first.

YvetteWithJoy

On break
Hey Y'all! I am venturing into the clay world :takecover: :smile: and have some questions:

- Are you high po? Have you ever used clay in your hair?

-Did/do you like it?

-Whats your favorite clay?

Do you just add water or add other things?

ETA: Do you use it as a cleanser, mask, all in one?

TIA :rosebud:

I just used Pure O.N.E. Beauty's African Black Soap Prepoo Mud Mask, and I love it!!! I consider it a prepoo, detox, cleanser, detangler, and conditioner all in one. I asked the mixtress/creator a ton of questions before ordering it.

Etsy link: https://www.etsy.com/shop/PureOneBeauty?ref=search_shop_redirect
Web site: https://pureonebeauty.com/

It has great ingredients, including growth stimulating ones. It's SUPER thick. After applying it to an old hairstyle, I took my spray bottle of water to wet it and make it more slippery for detangling. I then washed it out. Hair was clean, hydrated, moisturized, defined, springy, etc.

It also soothed my scalp. However, due to it's thickness, I found scalp application to be a little bit of work. I guess I'm spoiled by the Cantu ACV Rinse.

snoop

@snoop

Today:
I'm pre-pooing with Soultanicals "Coil Soil" Clarifying Hair Fertilizer which contains:
Activated Charcoal
Dead Sea Black Mud
Bentonite Clay
EV OO
AVJ
Sweet Almond Oil
Calendula Oil

Activated Charcoal will purify your scalp and draw out toxins while dead sea mud prevents hair loss.

I've never heard off this. Let me know what you think. I've wanted to try charcoal in my hair but wasnt sure if it would be to strong of a cleanser -- I don't like squeaky clean. I've also wanted to try dead sea mud as well.

Did you follow up with shampoo or was that your cleanser for this wash?

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
I've never heard off this. Let me know what you think. I've wanted to try charcoal in my hair but wasnt sure if it would be to strong of a cleanser -- I don't like squeaky clean. I've also wanted to try dead sea mud as well. Did you follow up with shampoo or was that your cleanser for this wash?
@snoop
I did use a cleansing conditioner after I rinsed it, but really didn't have to. It's a really good product. I've used it before with great results. Not stripping.

Soultanicals offers it as one of their Limited Edition items, so it's not listed regularly.

I also have a Charcoal D Treatment from J.Monique Naturals that I will use the same way that has: Activated Charcoal, Chamomile Infused Water, Sweet Almond Butter, Meadowfoam Butter, Shea Butter, Mustard Seed Powder, Oatstraw Powder, Rice Bran Oil, Soybean Oil, Vitamin E. To absorb impurities from the scalp.

However, the JMonique - Dead Sea Mud Mask Cleanser does make your squeaky/clarifying clean. Not 'stripped' but it definitely removes everything.

Saludable84

Better Late Than Ugly
I've never heard off this. Let me know what you think. I've wanted to try charcoal in my hair but wasnt sure if it would be to strong of a cleanser -- I don't like squeaky clean. I've also wanted to try dead sea mud as well.

Did you follow up with shampoo or was that your cleanser for this wash?

I can't explain Charcoal but it will not strip your hair. When I used it with bentonite I couldn't really tell a huge difference but when I used it with kaolin, I noticed my hair felt cleaner and conditioned at the same time. It was a better combination. Charcoal is a good booster but isnt something I would use alone.

imaginary

I love clays. I'm HiPo and I've used bentonite, rhassoul and both of these mixed together and with activated charcoal. I've never gotten a strengthened feeling from clays, just feels like clean soft hair. The only time it'd be stiff was if I didnt rinse well enough. I highly recommend them.

SheWalks

Hi Po here I clay wash every week with a mix of sodium bentonite, water, honey & critic acid. Rhassoul never cleaned my hair very well. Bentonite is my 2nd cleanser/deep conditioner right after rinsing I follow up with a leave in and my hair is hair is soft and moisturized.

halee_J

Don't worry be happy
I just used Pure O.N.E. Beauty's African Black Soap Prepoo Mud Mask, and I love it!!! I consider it a prepoo, detox, cleanser, detangler, and conditioner all in one. I asked the mixtress/creator a ton of questions before ordering it.

Etsy link: https://www.etsy.com/shop/PureOneBeauty?ref=search_shop_redirect
Web site: https://pureonebeauty.com/

It has great ingredients, including growth stimulating ones. It's SUPER thick. After applying it to an old hairstyle, I took my spray bottle of water to wet it and make it more slippery for detangling. I then washed it out. Hair was clean, hydrated, moisturized, defined, springy, etc.

It also soothed my scalp. However, due to it's thickness, I found scalp application to be a little bit of work. I guess I'm spoiled by the Cantu ACV Rinse.

Thank you! This looks interesting you had me at all in one :yep:

halee_J

Don't worry be happy
Hi Po here I clay wash every week with a mix of sodium bentonite, water, honey & critic acid. Rhassoul never cleaned my hair very well. Bentonite is my 2nd cleanser/deep conditioner right after rinsing I follow up with a leave in and my hair is hair is soft and moisturized.

Thank you for this esp the bolded. Would you rhassoul is better for conditioning?

@imaginary how would you compare bentonite vs rhassoul?

snoop

What does citric acid do in your mix?

SheWalks

Thank you for this esp the bolded. Would you rhassoul is better for conditioning?

@imaginary how would you compare bentonite vs rhassoul?

After rinsing out bentonite and rhassoul my hair for the most part feels the same. The rhassoul is slightly more moisturizing than the bentonite but, I think it has more to do with it not cleaning my hair very well so, that extra moisture is actually the left behind product. So I stick with bentonite because it's very affordable and the result is the same. I can get 15lb of bentonite for $30....1lb of rhassoul is like $10? I recommend just buying a couple pounds of each and see if you can really feel a difference.

What does citric acid do in your mix?

Like @AbsyBlvd said it has to do with PH. I can't take the smell of acv so a bit of citric acid works in it's place for me. Aloe vera can work too

halee_J

Don't worry be happy
After rinsing out bentonite and rhassoul my hair for the most part feels the same. The rhassoul is slightly more moisturizing than the bentonite but, I think it has more to do with it not cleaning my hair very well so, that extra moisture is actually the left behind product. So I stick with bentonite because it's very affordable and the result is the same. I can get 15lb of bentonite for $30....1lb of rhassoul is like $10? I recommend just buying a couple pounds of each and see if you can really feel a difference.

:yep: this is what I plan to do. Tbh right now im leaning more towards the rhassoul, because im using ayurvedic powders for cleasing I want something to help condition. But I wont knock the bentonite sonce so many ppl love it. I am wary about the calcium because having lived with calcium rich hard water i know it doesnt take much to make my hair feel stiff.

Aggie

I'm with you @halee_J. We have hard water down here in the Bahamas too and the Rhassoul would suit my needs a lot better and like you, I am also looking at ayurveda powders as a mainstay in my hair care regimen. I may still get a little of the bentonite clay just to try it out and see if my fine hair can handle it.

Last edited: