Do people stare at your hair

SVT

[ QUOTE ]
YuNg said:
yeah people stare at this nappy sh*T everyday. "Damn i wish he cut that mess" "Damn your hair aint growing" "Damn its nappy"

[/ QUOTE ]

Why not just cut your hair low, focus on getting your scalp condition resolved then turn your focus toward achieving healthy hair? After you accomplish that, concentrate on length.

pebbles

[ QUOTE ]
dontspeakdefeat said:
[ QUOTE ]
YuNg said:
yeah people stare at this nappy sh*T everyday. "Damn i wish he cut that mess" "Damn your hair aint growing" "Damn its nappy"

[/ QUOTE ]
I can't help but laugh! Sorry.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL!
I understand.

Seriously though, YuNg, you really have to find a way not to think of your hair in such a negative way. Until you learn to be happy with what God blessed you with, you'll continually be frustrated with your hair. There really is nothing unattractive with nappy hair. Some of the finest men I've seen have nappy hair.

C

Cami

I'm in the military, so sometimes when I wear my hair down people tell me that I look different. I don't get too much of a reaction now since I'm in this little town that's ummm, very behind and doesn't have touch with the black community. I wonder how it would be when I move to Atlanta, if I will get more of a reaction. I think here at this base, it's like, yeah, whatteva! But especially if there are a lot of black (women) around, there would be more stares.

YuNg

I can't get rid of the dandruff. that's why i won't cut my hair low. I dont consider my hair a blessing more like a curse

Incognito

Hi! I'm a newbie to this website and it is such a pleasure to see so many women of color with gorgeous heads of hair! So I hope you ladies don't mind if I jump in on this topic. I have 4a/4b textured hair and I primarily wear it in a bun. But I definitely get a lot of stares from other Black women. I guess they're trying to figure out if I'm wearing a hair piece. I remember when I was standing on line in the grocery store last week, one woman was practically standing on my shoulders staring at my hair.

A_Christian

[ QUOTE ]
YuNg said:
I can't get rid of the dandruff. that's why i won't cut my hair low. I dont consider my hair a blessing more like a curse

[/ QUOTE ]
I know you feel bad about your hair now, but you just have to give it time. When I was a kid my hair was falling out and breaking off and I felt just as bad about it or maybe even worse than you do about your hair right now. You just have to give it time. Do the protein treatments and moisturizing deep conditioning treatments and follow all of the great advice that the board offers. Your hair will improve, you just have to give it time. Pray about it too, prayer worked for me :) It took over 3 years for my hair to grow from above ear length to shoulder length, now it's nearing the middle of my back. People stare alright, the same people who used to make fun of my "bad" hair, now they stare and stare and don't have anything bad to say. I get a kick out of it, don't worry your hair can be just as healthy as everyone else's it might just take longer than you anticipate.

Isis

Welcome Sutton989 and Incognito!

I get stares (friendly stares) and sometimes compliments when I wear particular updo styles, like my French Twists. I know some are wondering how long my hair really is because I've been asked. It makes me feel good because I know my hair is looking good, shiny, moisturized and healthy and because that means I did my hairstyle right. Before I came to this board, I never got compliments on my hair.

I'm looking forward to the day when I wear my hair down and get stares because it looks so beautiful!

Tracy

"I get stares (friendly stares)"

*~*~*~*~*~*

I get not so friendly stares.

But I just thought it was because I have horns.

bellydancer

[ QUOTE ]
EgyptianSand16 said:
[ QUOTE ]
"ugh why would you wear your hair like that?" but I'm staring at them thinking the same thing.

[/ QUOTE ] I almost spat out my drink
U r TOOO funny!!!!!!!!Do u have any pics..Your hair sounds "identical" to my hair goal

[/ QUOTE ]
I have in braids right now but when I take them out I'll take some pictures. I have some pictures of my hair pressed straight though.

pebbles

[ QUOTE ]
Tracy said:
"I get stares (friendly stares)"

*~*~*~*~*~*

I get not so friendly stares.

But I just thought it was because I have horns.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL!!
Tracy, you're always good for a laugh!

YuNg

Its not so much that i want length i just want my sides to grow back and get rid of my dandruff i can always get my length with braids. Its just that everytime i wash my hair and go to sleep i wake up with really thin stringy hair on the sides and i can see my scalp. Im suprised no one says anything.

Edie

Do any of you ladies who have grown your hair out get really nasty stares from other long haired ladies? It's like they want to be the only ones around with long hair.

The reason I asked is because I got my hair pressed again this past weekend. I went shopping later at the mall and went to the nail salon there to get a manicure. Well I have very long nails from all of the vitamins I am taking.
A few people have commented asking whether or not they are acrylic or real. I told them about this website and how it gave a lot of information on care for healthy skin, hair and nails. Well there was this young black woman there with long hair (bra length)and she was glaring at me and said "is that how you grew your hair?". At that point I just glared right back at her and I said yes. And by the way, I just left the salon from getting my hair cut from butt length to this length". Her mouth fell open at that point. I know I lied since my hair is only a little past bra length, but that ***** was just down right nasty. I was only sharing information about our website.

beana3

when my hair is down i get tons of stares.. I guess they're wondering where all my hair came from. I dont have the longest hair..but it looks really healthy when its out. I always have it bunned up. No one from this semester has seen my hair out yet, which means Im really staying true to the bun challenge.

Aerie17

[ QUOTE ]
dontspeakdefeat said:
I find my self staring at sisters who have long pretty hair(natural or relaxed). Sometimes I just want to ask them about their hair but I am too scared I will get cursed out!

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey DSD,
Your hair is growing out nicely!

dontspeakdefeat

Hair Coach
[ QUOTE ]
Aerie17 said:
[ QUOTE ]
dontspeakdefeat said:
I find my self staring at sisters who have long pretty hair(natural or relaxed). Sometimes I just want to ask them about their hair but I am too scared I will get cursed out!

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey DSD,
Your hair is growing out nicely!

[/ QUOTE ]
Thank you!

SouthernGyal

Yes! Now that i've gone natural i notice people stare. I just laugh. I think if Jesus were to return tomorrow with a full head of nappy hair, most Blacks would stare and then try to shave his head.

miss_brown

[ QUOTE ]
SouthernGyal said:
Yes! Now that i've gone natural i notice people stare. I just laugh. I think if Jesus were to return tomorrow with a full head of nappy hair, most Blacks would stare and then try to shave his head.

[/ QUOTE ]

Probably!

nekee

when my hair was relaxed and black ppl used to stare because it was thick and healthy "looking"

when it was natural people used to constantly ask me if it was texturised

when it was bleached and relaxed, (and out) people used to stare alot and ask me if it was weave. I even had a woman tug on my hair cuz the guys she hung out with wanted to know if it was weave. ( i was highly annoyed but i sorta knew her so i didnt take it to heart)

now it is bleached relaxed and in protective styles and noone looks at it. but i dont mind , when i leave it open in january i know i will get alot of stares