FROM BC TO WAIST LENGTH! Natural growth and health CHALLENGE. Spinoff for 09 BC.

winona

Anybody else here hate shampoo? My natural hair takes days to RECOVER after my shampoo, ugh, I am only shampooing once a month basically to remove buildup. I hate shampoo day!!!
I am a co-washer FOR LIFE!!

Do you dilute it?

I a creamy butter to my hair at least 1hr prior to shampooing with a diluted moisturizing shampoo and I dont have any problems. Clean but not squeaky clean:):grin:

BTW I use .4oz of Elucence Moisture Benefits to 4oz of water

Aggie

Anybody else here hate shampoo? My natural hair takes days to RECOVER after my shampoo, ugh, I am only shampooing once a month basically to remove buildup. I hate shampoo day!!!

I don't hate shampoo. I don't use shampoo often but I don't hate it either. Have you tried adding some conditioner or oil to the shampoo before washing your hair or even prepooing moderately with oil or conditioner before shampooing? It works like a charm and keeps my hair soft.

I especially love Avalon Organics Biotin B-Complex Thickening Shampoo and Keracare Hydrating Shampoo. These are really nice poos for my hair and doesn't leave it feeling all stripped and dried out. Good luck!

ajoke

Please add me here: I think I am finally on the right thread.

Can I join? I BC in February '10, last relaxer December 29 2008. I have about 5,9 inches(15 cm

I am finaly settling into a regimen, sort of.....wash and DC every Wednesday and Saturday. Prepoo overnight with Amla oil, after washing mosturise with water based moisturiser, oil with coconut oil or olive oil and use cream based mosturiser(selfmixed with profective anti breakage, olive oil, castor oil and aloe vera juice)
Stretch hair in flat twists or wet bun and try not to touch until next wash. I have done Henna once and just fell in love with Aveda damage remedy reconstructor. I take biotin and my antenatals(I am currently BFing). I can't do weaves or cornrows as protective styles because of my hairline...so hoping for the best with my hair loose.

I am still tweaking the regimen, but so far, so good. My hair has always grown really fast, I have to work on my retention though.

I think my hair is 4a/b

beauti4dlo

Alright ladies, I'm still going strong with my hair!! I've kept up my hair and my conditioning treatments. I'm just trying to come up with creative styles to keep it protected, yet cute. normally I give in to weave, but I'm trying Sooo hard not to..

manter26

Anyone have areas of there hair that don't grow at all for a period of time? The hair in my nape is 4" I think it's been that length since Feb of this year. Maybe it does its growing in fall and winter. This gives my top layers a chance to catch up. I just get discouraged because I use that hair to gauge my overall growth...sigh.

Prettyeyes

Do you dilute it?

I a creamy butter to my hair at least 1hr prior to shampooing with a diluted moisturizing shampoo and I dont have any problems. Clean but not squeaky clean:):grin:

BTW I use .4oz of Elucence Moisture Benefits to 4oz of water
Thanks!

I don't hate shampoo. I don't use shampoo often but I don't hate it either. Have you tried adding some conditioner or oil to the shampoo before washing your hair or even prepooing moderately with oil or conditioner before shampooing? It works like a charm and keeps my hair soft.

I especially love Avalon Organics Biotin B-Complex Thickening Shampoo and Keracare Hydrating Shampoo. These are really nice poos for my hair and doesn't leave it feeling all stripped and dried out. Good luck!

Thanks!

I got frustrated today and decided my problem has to be a need to clarify, so I did with baking soda, then shampooed again and then followed up with roux porosity control, then used infusium, then condish, CURLS were back to life again. I am really learning my natural hair now and it hates this hard water we have in my area!

deltagyrl

Next week I will celebrate 1 month natural/post bc!!

I am figuring out what my hair likes and daily co-washing seems to be the way to go!!!

I minimize twa shrinkage by picking it out right after washing. It is PERFECT while soaking wet. :yep: Guess it just has to grow some mo' to look that way completely dry. *shrugs*

I'm still having "sheen ishas" but other than that I'm very, very happy with my hurr. :spinning:

cinnespice

Hello is me your looking for?
Not really but i use chagrin valley soap bars. I really like the Ayurvedic Herb one.

jaded_faerie

Please add me! My last relaxer was October 2008 and I have no relaxed hair left...hopefully I will hit APL this December

sxyblackgem

Hi everyone,

Can I join the challenge? I bc'ed on 5/31/10 and currently I have 6-7 inches of hair, with just a very small amount of relaxed ends. My close friend did my big chop for me but I was a little bit scared so I told her to leave a small amount of the relaxed ends and maybe in about six months I may try to get a professional trim, IDK. I'm still trying to come up with a regimen. I'm also a little bit confused of my hair type so I'm posting some pics because I dont know if I'm a 3c or a 4a or a combo of both. Please help :perplexed

Attachments

• IMG_1114.jpg
    IMG_1114.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_1116.jpg
    IMG_1116.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_1117.jpg
    IMG_1117.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_1124.jpg
    IMG_1124.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_1121.jpg
    IMG_1121.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 25

Aggie

Anyone have areas of there hair that don't grow at all for a period of time? The hair in my nape is 4" I think it's been that length since Feb of this year. Maybe it does its growing in fall and winter. This gives my top layers a chance to catch up. I just get discouraged because I use that hair to gauge my overall growth...sigh.

I have to say "no" to the bolded because I usually keep my nape all braided up and off my neck at pretty much all times. It grows pretty well actually and I retain the length just as well. Maybe you could try keeping your hair up off your neck a bit more, that might help with retention.

Also remember that the nape and front hairline has finer strands that break easier than the middle of your hair so extra care has to be taken when styling/combing, etc...

Aggie

Thanks!

Thanks!

I got frustrated today and decided my problem has to be a need to clarify, so I did with baking soda, then shampooed again and then followed up with roux porosity control, then used infusium, then condish, CURLS were back to life again. I am really learning my natural hair now and it hates this hard water we have in my area!

I'm glad you found out what it was your hair needed PE but may I suggest getting a water filter for your shower head? Assuming that you wash your hair in the shower of course.

I got the Sprite HOC water filter that is good for 1 year and since purchasing and using it, my hair has been super happy with a lot less breakage.

Aggie

Please add me! My last relaxer was October 2008 and I have no relaxed hair left...hopefully I will hit APL this December

What length is your hair jaded_faerie? Sounds like your hair should be about 10 inches by now based on your BC date:look:.

Aggie

Hi everyone,

Can I join the challenge? I bc'ed on 5/31/10 and currently I have 6-7 inches of hair, with just a very small amount of relaxed ends. My close friend did my big chop for me but I was a little bit scared so I told her to leave a small amount of the relaxed ends and maybe in about six months I may try to get a professional trim, IDK. I'm still trying to come up with a regimen. I'm also a little bit confused of my hair type so I'm posting some pics because I dont know if I'm a 3c or a 4a or a combo of both. Please help :perplexed

It appears you have 3c edges but you have predominantly 4a type hair. The middle of your hair looks a little like my edges. I have 4a edges but I am predominantly 4b in the middle. It is very thick and tightly coiled up there:grin:.

Grand Prix

As promised, the silicone/silicone-free comparison pics!

Both are completely dry wash and goes with Yes to Cucumbers which I left in, sealed with a bit of afroveda oil.

Missjae09

I would love to participate in this challenge. My last relaxer was January 09! I had layers so my hair length varies from 2 - 5 inches. I am 100 % natural. (yay!!) I'm new to this.. is there anything else I need to do?

My hair type is 4b

Missjae09

A bit about my regi.. I co-wash about twice a week with lustersilks cholesteroil enhanced with my own mixture of the following oils: EVOO, EVCO, emu oil, peppermint, rosemary, tea tree, lavender, vege glycerin, avocado, jojoba, almond oil and MSM. I will wet my hair apply the conditioner mix and sit under my hair steamer for 15-20 mins (short time since i do this twice a week). After steaming I detangle then carefully rinse my hair so as to not tangle it again. I then add some leave in conditioner (Knot today or Design Essentials leave in) and since I have been trying to grow my hair long I will style with cornrows for a braid out, flat twist set, or 2 strand twist.

When I do shampoo my hair I do so with E'Tae shampoo and conditioner that I absolutely love.

It's been about 2 months since I last trimmed my hair... I will admit that I am addicted to trims but as long as my hair is curly and not straight I should be able to refrain from trimming.

I hope my regi may seem like a bit much but my hair is really really really dry.. this keeps my hair nice and moist! I look forward to reaching my FULL growth potential.

sxyblackgem

Thank you soo much Aggie, y this hair-typing stuff confuses me sooo much I just dont know :spinning: I love my hair even though we get into fights every so often when I try to get a comb through :nono:

It appears you have 3c edges but you have predominantly 4a type hair. The middle of your hair looks a little like my edges. I have 4a edges but I am predominantly 4b in the middle. It is very thick and tightly coiled up there:grin:.

Janet'

A bit about my regi.. I co-wash about twice a week with lustersilks cholesteroil enhanced with my own mixture of the following oils: EVOO, EVCO, emu oil, peppermint, rosemary, tea tree, lavender, vege glycerin, avocado, jojoba, almond oil and MSM. I will wet my hair apply the conditioner mix and sit under my hair steamer for 15-20 mins (short time since i do this twice a week). After steaming I detangle then carefully rinse my hair so as to not tangle it again. I then add some leave in conditioner (Knot today or Design Essentials leave in) and since I have been trying to grow my hair long I will style with cornrows for a braid out, flat twist set, or 2 strand twist.

When I do shampoo my hair I do so with E'Tae shampoo and conditioner that I absolutely love.

It's been about 2 months since I last trimmed my hair... I will admit that I am addicted to trims but as long as my hair is curly and not straight I should be able to refrain from trimming.

I hope my regi may seem like a bit much but my hair is really really really dry.. this keeps my hair nice and moist! I look forward to reaching my FULL growth potential.

Your regi doesn't sound like too much, it sounds like you know exactly what your hair needs and I'm a little jelly of that as I am still trying to figure it out!

HauteHippie

Originally Posted by Prettyeyes

I don't hate shampoo, but I don't use it very often. I basically only use it when I clarify and then I do an apple cider rinse. If you're open to trying shampoos, you may be interested in Hair One Hair Cleanser (I like the Olive Oil). It's sold at Sally's; it's creamy and sulfate free-- basically it's moisturizing and doesn't strip the hair. I haven't used it since January, b/c I ran out and I've been wearing sew-ins. I do remember that there was something in it that I didn't like, but I didn't FEEL it.

Platinum

I'm back in action. I finally got my new wireless card for my laptop. Welcome to all of the newcomers.

I have decided to try an MN/Sulfur mix (I don't remember the original mix I used back in '08 but it worked great). I'm also thinking about using Megatek on the days that I'm not using MN. I hope to post length shots soon.

natalie20121

Can I join??? I BC'd March 15th, 2010 and my last relaxer was June 9, 2009. I currently have about 5-5 1/2 inches of hair all around. 20 inches will be full waist length for me So I should definitely hit my goal by July 2013!

My regimen right now is pretty simple, I shampoo and condition with Giovanni smooth as silk line and alternate leave-ins. I either use Kinky Curly Knot Today or Giovanni Direct Leave in. I stay away from Sulfates and Silicones.....period. My curls look the best when I do this. I fell off the wagon once and it took 2 weeks to get my hair back on track so never again. I don't have a certain amount of days I go without a wash I just do it when I feel my scalp needs to be cleansed. I rinse my hair with water on a daily basis and I style with Uncle Funky's Daughter Curly Magic. For twist outs I use Miss Jessie's Curly pudding because it has a water soluble silicone in it. I DC with either, Joico KPAK reconstructor the Intense Hydrator or Curlisto Deep Therapy Mask. I colored my hair a couple months back and I will NEVER do that again.

My hair type is majority 4a I believe with some 3C sprinkled in the very top of my head. I will leave a picture and maybe you all can let me know if I'm correct. I have about 50-60 % shrinkage.

GreenD

I didn't have any problem with shedding. A lot of ladies, including myself took garlic pills when using Megatek to curb the shedding. :yep: There are also other alternatives as well. You can try using a garlic shampoo or add garlic powder to your conditioner. Hope this helps.

I use Wild Growth Hair oil as a scalp oil. I don't get any "wild growth" per se but I like it.:yep:

Ok so I just finished my first week with it, and it had to go under the sink. I washed my hair and I think it left THE WORST build up on my hair. :nono: I mean, it was like toothpaste-cheese in my hair. I did several ACV rinses and that didn't work, so I did bentonite clay two nights in a row and that pretty much did the trick. I have a few braids that still have some build up, so I think I'll have to do the clay treatment again. I'm guessing I used too much oil and it just stuck to the conditioner from my wash, IDK? But I won't be using that for a while. I'll stick with my Doo Gro.

Prettyeyes

You ladies are doing great! Waves and goes back to original thread.

BTW, I will update the challenger list about twice a month but if you have not posted or PM'd your length in inches and are not 100% natural you will not be added.

Last edited:

Platinum

[/B]

Ok so I just finished my first week with it, and it had to go under the sink. I washed my hair and I think it left THE WORST build up on my hair. :nono: I mean, it was like toothpaste-cheese in my hair. I did several ACV rinses and that didn't work, so I did bentonite clay two nights in a row and that pretty much did the trick. I have a few braids that still have some build up, so I think I'll have to do the clay treatment again. I'm guessing I used too much oil and it just stuck to the conditioner from my wash, IDK? But I won't be using that for a while. I'll stick with my Doo Gro.

Wow. Sorry to hear that.:sad: Sounds like you may have used too much. When I apply it to my scalp, I use it sparingly. Drop here, drop there... a little goes a long way with this product.

ZkittyKurls

[/B]

i am not in this challenge as of yet but i was just gonna say that this happened to me before too. i had so much oil in my hair from when i had a weave in it so when i added a protein/moisture conditioner to my hair it felt like plaque on my hair! i thought it was just me, but i used acv/ baking soda and come clean clarifying shampoo, and it felt queaky clean, but it still had moisture as well.