Full & Healthy Crown & Edges Challenge 2013

faithVA

This isn't as good as a twist or braid shot, but I may not have that for a while.

My scalp is much better and filling in nicely. I can still see the areas that are thin, but they are starting to be less noticeable.

crown_history.jpg
Where I started July, 2011

DSCN0990 (640x511).jpg
Crown, February 15th, 2014

faithVA

I haven't updated since March. It looks like I didn't take any pictures in 2013. I also didn't work on my scalp much in 2013. It's hard to compare progress since I'm not consistently wearing the same style and taking the pic from the same angle.

Visually it looks about the same since March, however when I am styling my hair the thin area feels smaller. I also don't have to work as hard to place my twist at my crown area. I'm still being pretty inconsistent in my treatments so I believe I have another year before it completely fills in. My hair all over is denser. Will update again end of year.

Crown2011.jpg

Crown2012.jpg

NOW
CrownUpdate.jpg CrownUpdate2.jpg

Smiley79

I started using JBCO on my edges a few months ago, but the last month I have been using it consistently; now I see my edges giving me hope of resurrection! Woohoo. I added a couple drops of peppermint oil to the JBCO as well. Overall, I forgot how much my hair loved JBCO..I bought a big bottle this time. I'm not sure if I remembered to take before pictures, but I'm happy to see some progress.

Also, I stopped pulling my hair back in high puffs as much (rarely now) and I completely stopped sew ins...I now rock my wigs maybe once or twice a week, if even. I think my edges told me thank you, they forgive me, and they're coming back home. :)

Smiley79

faithVA...I too have a couple of small (dime/nickel size) spots on my crown that I am nursing. I really hope they come around...one hairdresser told me that it will never grow back though. I'm going to see a dermatologist next week and see what they say.

faithVA

[USER said:
Smiley79;20847971[/USER]]faithVA...I too have a couple of small (dime/nickel size) spots on my crown that I am nursing. I really hope they come around...one hairdresser told me that it will never grow back though. I'm going to see a dermatologist next week and see what they say.

Don't pay any attention to your hair dresser. Keep doing what you are doing and make sure you get water on your scalp on a regular basis. If the areas are small you probably caught it early enough to turn it around.

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
I am trying to thicken my edges and crown. The right side of my crown has several thin spots. It looks like I have permanent parts in those areas. I have been massaging pretty much daily and inverting every few days.

My wig regimen (wig caps and tight wigs) is to blame for my edges. My crown is due to stress or genetics. Either way I am going to do something about it. I first noticed the thinning a few months ago. I have made a little improvement since then. My goal for 2015 is to thicken my edges and fill in the thin areas in my crown.

Evolving78

faithVA...I too have a couple of small (dime/nickel size) spots on my crown that I am nursing. I really hope they come around...one hairdresser told me that it will never grow back though. I'm going to see a dermatologist next week and see what they say.
I'm late to the party, but have you tried jbco? Give MN a try too! It helped my spot back in 2011 when I had a reaction to some color. I been using jbco and that area is really thick now.

Smiley79

Shordub78 Thank girl, yes I have but it isn't until recently that I have been consistent with it and I do see the area that were once shiny and bare, now look fuzzy, so I see that as hopeful! I just gotta give it time.

And thanks faithVA, I think the hairdresser jumped to conclusion to quick, but we'll see.

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
Just checking in. I started using castor oil on my edges today. Here is my starting pic. My goal is to fill in the thin spot in the middle and on the sides by June.

Attachments

• 20150109_183046.jpg
    20150109_183046.jpg
    327.7 KB · Views: 109

Evolving78

Ok ladies, I'm relaxed and I suffered some serious crown breakage several months ago due to a bad color reaction. I have trimmed all the damage hair off over the past 4 months. This pic was the first trim.

image-1702534554.jpg

Like I said, it has grown and I have completely got rid of the straggly damaged ends. I started telaxing my hair. My crown area is the toughest to straighten, so it is has way more texture than the rest of my hair. It pretty much feels/looks like my natural texture.

Now I have a big patch of hair that is 3 inches long. The rest of my hair is shoulder length. What can I do to keep this area thriving? I started a month ago, braiding my hair in 8-9 cornrows and wearing a wig. I don't wear my hair out and don't use direct heat. How should I style this patch of hair under my wig? Should I continue to braid it with the rest of the hair, or put some mini twists in that area?

Evolving78

Just found a pea size bald spot.... But it feels dime sized. The spot feels tender too. I'm going to the doctor this week, so I will find out what is going on with me. I'm going to clarify my hair tonight and make sure I rinse my crown throughly. I have some cream I can put on too.

faithVA

I'm still working on my crown but not intensively. Just remembering to apply my oil on wash days and to wash every 3 days. My crown is really starting to fill in. With my twist outs, the area is not as noticeable as it has been. And this area is really starting to grow. I think by the end of the year, my regrowth will be done. I will need to put in some twists to really see if it has healed.

Evolving78

I'm not applying anything to my scalp until I see the doctor to find out what is going on. I would like to get some box braids.

GGsKin

I'm not applying anything to my scalp until I see the doctor to find out what is going on. I would like to get some box braids.

If you do get box braids, maybe use bulk human hair instead of synthetic. It seemed less harsh on my hair and I had my best retention with human hair braids vs synthetic.

Evolving78

I got my blood work back and everything is normal, so I might just have some damage to my veins, or arteries in my legs, or a clot. But I can't explain the hair loss anymore. I plan on washing my hair today and roller setting. Gotta get this crown in order.

faithVA

I got my blood work back and everything is normal, so I might just have some damage to my veins, or arteries in my legs, or a clot. But I can't explain the hair loss anymore. I plan on washing my hair today and roller setting. Gotta get this crown in order.

Glad your health is OK. That's the most important.

Evolving78

Glad your health is OK. That's the most important.
yes! I was so relieved and surprised! I'm not deficient in anything! Yay? Lol I posted a thread about my poor circulation and swelling in my legs. I started to develop mottling around my ankles. Now I have to wear compression stockings forever! Pregnancy really did a number on my body.

Anyway, my hair buddy gave me some joico chelating shampoo, so I used it just now, along with suave almond and shea shampoo. My scalp doesn't feel itchy in the crown area, and my hair felt clean and not stripped. I used the suave conditioner to do a ghetto steam treatment with. I'm going to rinse in another 15 mins. I'm working on removing oil and product from my scalp and stepping my hydration game up!

faithVA

yes! I was so relieved and surprised! I'm not deficient in anything! Yay? Lol I posted a thread about my poor circulation and swelling in my legs. I started to develop mottling around my ankles. Now I have to wear compression stockings forever! Pregnancy really did a number on my body.

Anyway, my hair buddy gave me some joico chelating shampoo, so I used it just now, along with suave almond and shea shampoo. My scalp doesn't feel itchy in the crown area, and my hair felt clean and not stripped. I used the suave conditioner to do a ghetto steam treatment with. I'm going to rinse in another 15 mins. I'm working on removing oil and product from my scalp and stepping my hydration game up!

I have found hydrating the scalp to be very important. Actually it has been the key in my recovery above everything else.

Evolving78

I have found hydrating the scalp to be very important. Actually it has been the key in my recovery above everything else.
yes it needs some water and not a bunch of products! Inside and out! That's worked for me in the past. Girl trying to roller set this crown is like skating on thin ice! I have two sections left on the left side, but I had to get off of my feet for a spell.

faithVA

I put my hair in two strands so I was able to check my progress. I am very pleased. My crown looks normal. I still have a small thin section but I know it will definitely be filled in by the end of the year. Now with some additional length I will be able to wear two strands confidently.

ForumRunner_20150216_220016.jpg

Evolving78

I put my hair in two strands so I was able to check my progress. I am very pleased. My crown looks normal. I still have a small thin section but I know it will definitely be filled in by the end of the year. Now with some additional length I will be able to wear two strands confidently.
that looks very good! So inspirational!

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
I'm still massaging my scalp a few times a week. I am going to start washing my hair more often. Waahing once a month was good for low manipulation, but my scalp had so much buildup. Now I am washing every 5-7 days.