Full & Healthy Crown & Edges Challenge 2013

Evolving78

I have taken your advice with not using too much castor oil. I use it on wash day and I mix it with lavender oil. I prepoo my hair with grapeseed an avocado oil.

BonBon

I found a new head covering for under my wigs and I'm very happy. This in black

It has a silk satin strip which covers my edges just about. The rest of it is soft breathable lycra material.

faithVA

Well done with your crown. You give me hope for thicker hair :drunk:

Last edited:

faithVA

[USER=26733 said:
Sumra[/USER];21136667]I found a new head covering for under my wigs and I'm very happy. This in black

It has a silk satin strip which covers my edges just about. The rest of it is soft breathable lycra material.

faithVA

Well done with your crown. You give me hope for thicker hair :drunk:

I believe in hope. My hair is definitely thicker all over. :yep:

Where did you find that head covering? It would be great under my hats this winter and under my bike helmet this spring.

hair4romheaven

I put my hair in two strands so I was able to check my progress. I am very pleased. My crown looks normal. I still have a small thin section but I know it will definitely be filled in by the end of the year. Now with some additional length I will be able to wear two strands confidently.

My girlllllll!!!!! :)
Looking good

ilong

God's Own
I haven't updated since March. It looks like I didn't take any pictures in 2013. I also didn't work on my scalp much in 2013. It's hard to compare progress since I'm not consistently wearing the same style and taking the pic from the same angle.

Visually it looks about the same since March, however when I am styling my hair the thin area feels smaller. I also don't have to work as hard to place my twist at my crown area. I'm still being pretty inconsistent in my treatments so I believe I have another year before it completely fills in. My hair all over is denser. Will update again end of year.

View attachment 272497
@faithVA -

View attachment 272499

NOW
View attachment 272505 View attachment 272507

@faithVA I know this post is almost a year old - but I'm just seeing it and had to say CONGRATULATIONS and what AMAZING progress you made. Your hair is beautiful!!!
I know it took a lot of trial and error, money and hard work but the results are worth it. Wouldn't it be great to say this, that and this gave me the results? That would be too easy <lol> as we try everything we can and when we get results we aren't sure if one single product did it or all of the 5011 products synergistically. Congratulations again for your great progress. Your results are inspiration = that it can be done!

faithVA

@faithVA I know this post is almost a year old - but I'm just seeing it and had to say CONGRATULATIONS and what AMAZING progress you made. Your hair is beautiful!!!
I know it took a lot of trial and error, money and hard work but the results are worth it. Wouldn't it be great to say this, that and this gave me the results? That would be too easy <lol> as we try everything we can and when we get results we aren't sure if one single product did it or all of the 5011 products synergistically. Congratulations again for your great progress. Your results are inspiration = that it can be done!

Thank you. I appreciate your words. Thank you for the compliment. I am very shoot to have made great progress. I definitely believe for most ladies hair loss can be turned around.

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
My crown looks a bit fuller. I think the high heat and round brush at the Dominican salon may have damaged my scalp. Now that I have moved on to a more gentle straightening method my overall hair will improve.

My edges can finally grow, because they aren't being fried and laid to the side. My new stylist left my edges alone. I can smooth them out with my satin scarf and some aloe gel.

Last edited:

faithVA

My crown looks a bit fuller. I think the high heat and round brush at the Dominican salon may have damaged my scalp. Now that I have moved on to a more gentle straightening method my overall hair will improve.

My edges can finally grow, because they aren't being fried and laid to the side. My new stylist left my edges alone. I can smooth them out with my satin scarf and some aloe gel.

Nice. Yeah, that heat can eventually cause that hair to really thin out. I'm glad you caught it in time. Your scalp will recover with some tlc.

gvin89

Medication, stress, and genes. My hairline looks terrible.

@NappyNelle, we are in the same boat. I've been under a great deal of stress...my skin and hair are paying for it. We can't control genes and meds, but definitely try to eliminate the stress factors. Are you taking a vitamin to combat what the meds take away from you? I agree with all the things @faithVA suggested.

caliscurls

@NappyNelle The past year has been rough for me with the last 6 months just ratcheting up my stress level, so I can identify. I'm pretty sure that the shedding I'm seeing and thinning in the temples can be attributed to genetics and hormones but has been sped up and ignited by high levels of stress (without doing anything about it). So here's what I've started to do:
- yoga daily, even if it's only 10 minutes (it really helps)
- have gone back to my 4-6 day a week workouts
- upping my water and restarting my vitamins
- scalp massages with oil...shooting for 2x a week
- getting back to weekly washing/dc and a pre-poo before hand (using the Pona Hair and Scalp by Komaza)
- and last but not least Komaza's Anagen Elite (just started being consistent with it so no verdict yet on if it works). It's supposed to be for medicine and hormone induced hair fall.

My stress level has come down significantly recently. I just wish I hadn't dropped the ball on things I was doing to help keep it in check this past 6 months. Better late than never though, right? :)

That said...if you (or someone else) starts a challenge I may join. If not, I'll just include my updates in the challenges I'm already in.

Really hope you can find something that helps get you back to healthy edges!

NappyNelle

Kinky Coily 4A, Fine Strands, WSL
: bighug:. Well you know I believe many things can be turned around especially if you work from the inside out. So be encouraged.

Are you focusing on your diet and water intake? What are you doing for the stress? Meditating? Yoga? Walks? Hot baths?

@faithVA Thank you! You've always been so encouraging and sweet to me. :heart3:
@caliscurls Thank you for sharing your story! I like your plan. I will look into the Komaza product. I haven't used anything from them in a while.
@gvin89 Thank you! I really appreciate your words. I am only taking biotin outside of the medications because I'm tired of popping pills all day. I think the biotin has been helpful for the rest of hair.

I am drinking lots of water, and my skin is generally happy about that; however, I don't think I can ever drink enough to really replenish my cells with the (main) medications I take. They have a host of side effects. Lately, I've been drinking 2-3 liters daily.

My diet has gotten better, but it's still not top notch. I have lots of allergies and multiple deficiencies, so it's hard to maintain healthy eating habits. I am mainly eating proteins and veggies, but I still like quick, junky, snacks and often need something heavy (like baguette) to coat my stomach (for the meds). I am not active like I would like to be, because I have a cane and at times, need a wheelchair. :drunk: I would love to take up yoga and walking again.

The stress... :bricks: Thankfully, I left my previous job and I love the one I have now. It's still taxing, but I enjoy it, my team, and particularly, my boss. I am a textbook introvert I have to check out from people and hang out on the internet, draw or paint, and read. Now that I'm not teaching on campus, I have more downtime for self care. However, that time is redirected to my girlfriend... but that is another story. (I love her but it's very difficult for me to adjust to her needs without feeling guilty for needing/ enjoying / relishing in my alone time. I don't know how other women juggle jobs, relationships, children, and their own personal lives every day. :perplexed:)

Sooooooooo I saw all of that to say that my already fine edges have thinned considerably and this thread kept me on track years ago. I know there is a current thread for crowns, but my edges are my primary concern. I am very self conscious about them.

My current plan includes GHE with Minoxidil for a few hours and massaging with JBCO daily. I bought my first real wig and will wear it tomorrow. I am self conscious about that too, but I need some type of style that will not stress my edges. lol

Last edited: