Hair Weave Challenge for the rest of 2008?

chitowngal330

I use Remi Velvet (I think it's by Outre) and it never does me wrong. I don't put any product in the weave itself and it never tangles, wraps well and looks great after every wash. It is relatively expensive ($69.99 for a pack of 12" hair), but well worth it. I even reuse my hair at times.

well I dont think its remi, it just keeps shedding all over the place!!!! do you ladies have suggestions as to what type od straight hair to get, that is yaki- Im fed up with the shedding and poofy look!! I cant keep straightening al the time!!!

Mwenye_Heri

Thank for the add. I will be posting a pic of my weave in my fotki

I have had my current install since September 20th 2008. So it has been 4 weeks and I am itching but I promised my DH that I would keep it in for 10 weeks so that I can get his monies worst (actually mine but that's another story:grin:) Neway I have is straight 4/33 Saga hair full weave.

My regimen (it needs tweaking)

I moisturize with a mix of african pride braid spray and infusium 23 every other day applicator bottle.

I seal with Hairveda oil ( The name slips me but the smell is lovely)

I washed about two weeks ago with Nexxus moisture shampoo and D.C with a Replinishing pack.

I wrap every night with a satin scarf. Wrapping it has gotten easier with time. I want to get my hairstylist in NC to cut it in a chinese bob so that it will look new for the second half of this challenge but hey I just have to find someone new in this area.

I don't really have any starting pics before I put the weave in as I have been doing my own personal hide my hair challenge since March of this year. Growing out my relaxer for now.

Next week I will wash again it was hard the first time I did it because I was scared of tangling it but I have to be assured in myself that the hair won't tangle because i am taking great care of the hair

Mwenye_Heri

well I dont think its remi, it just keeps shedding all over the place!!!! do you ladies have suggestions as to what type od straight hair to get, that is yaki- Im fed up with the shedding and poofy look!! I cant keep straightening al the time!!!

Saga hair which is under the milky way product line is pretty good. I have experienced little to no shedding and it still looks good after all this time. IMO the hair that is under 30.00 is good for quick weaves/ponytails/updo's because the hair itself is not made to last no more than 3 weeks. There are some good weaves that are more than 30.00 but you have to really pay attention to the texture of it, is it soft compared to rough etc. Even when I bought my hair for my second install which is when I was just thinking about growing out my hair in december of 07, I paid 59 for a 10 in and 69 for a 12 in. I wasted my money because the 10 in wasn't complete... What I am trying to say was that the hair that was attatched to the weft looked like this llillillillillillilli instead of being llllllllllllllll so when it was cut it looked scraggliy and not full

kriolagirl

hey ladies just checking in. i'm on install number 3 of the challenge. i got my most recent sew-in done october 3rd. i re-used my curly indian hair and tried a closure for the first time.

Attachments

• P1010812.jpg
    P1010812.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 50

Honey.Love

I'm in! I just got a sew-in for the last 7 weeks of stretching. Hopefully this will help retain length as I am using OCT. Anybody got any advice on how often I should use it w/ a sew-in since I'm only gonna wash and DC 1x/wk? I used to apply it every night and rinse it out in the am when I cowashed. I don't wanna wet my hair that often w/ a sew-in. TIA:grin:

Ediese

hey ladies just checking in. i'm on install number 3 of the challenge. i got my most recent sew-in done october 3rd. i re-used my curly indian hair and tried a closure for the first time.

Looks really good! Please let me know how you like the closure.

I'm planning on wearing my sew-in until December 26th, so it'll be just in time for the end of challenge reveal.

Last edited:

chitowngal330

My current install has a closure and though I like the look more (the weave lays flatter to my scalp), I don't like the fact that it's very difficult to take care of the hair under the closure. I am also using Megatek (applied every night and washed out every week), so I have to work extra hard to apply and moisturize the part under the closure.

Looks really good! Please let me know how you like the closure.

I'm planning on wearing my sew-in until December 26th, so it'll be just in time for the end of challenge reveal.

kriolagirl

My current install has a closure and though I like the look more (the weave lays flatter to my scalp), I don't like the fact that it's very difficult to take care of the hair under the closure. I am also using Megatek (applied every night and washed out every week), so I have to work extra hard to apply and moisturize the part under the closure.

i agree that it is hard to get to the hair under there! i am a lil worried about that part of my hair not getting enough moisture but hopefully it will all be ok. i like the closure---don't love it--but i think it is just me getting used to it. i'm going to have to get it resewn because my hair has already grown out alot underneath it in just the past few weeks.

jamaicalovely

Oh, I almost forgot....just in case you need to increase your stash...the following vendors are having a sale now.

- Halleys Curl
- Wagmans
- Belle Noir

Neala21

Okay so I got frustrated :wallbash: with seeing my sister's hair length and how much growth she got that I decided to remove my weave just to see if my hair has actually been retaining all my growth.

And I must say that for the first time in wearing weaves or sticking to a challenge thus far my hair has actually flourished. :yep: I have fine strands and the low manipulation has really helped me alot. My progress is in my siggy and its the 2nd pikistrip. I've been growing my hair from Dec 07 to Oct 08 and have been doing the weave challenge since June 08 and will definately continue doing so for my transition period. :grin:

My twin sis (in the 1st pikistrips) is currently 1" above MBL so I am definately trying to get to her length.

IndianAngel22

Yea definately! I just started the blog I haven't updated in a little bit but I hope it helps some people and they everyone finds it interesting. I'm a LONG LONG LONG time weave transitioner and I can't wait to do my next comparison this month. probably won't be until the end of the month though. I go a while with my weaves :) Thanks for looking! And yea you really do get what you pay for. I have eliminated the freakish poof forever with the Velvet Remi hair. And you my dear have TREMENDOUS growth in 3 months what in the WORLD are you doing!!!!!!!!!!!????

Wow! You can see the healthiness of your hair in the comparison pics. I just visited your blog really enjoyed the read. Whatever you're doing, just keep it up! It's funny that you mention the 'weird whispy fro tangly thing' that you got with the yaki hair... i had that same problem with that hair. Come to think of it my wig that I'm wearing right now is doing the same thing! A few days after I bought it the ends toward the back are all tangly. No matter how much detangler I spray on them it doesn't help. I'm so mad I spent $36.00 on this wig! I guess you're right... you get what you pay for!

mistee11

Hi ladies -- I'm sorry I can't hang with y'all this challenge... I got a lot of breakage wearing last sewin so I'm wiggin' it for now. I now have some Mega Tek to help stop breakage and it's working! My hair is still cornrowed and I'm better able to condition and moisturize under the wig. Hope you ladies do better than I did.

mistee11

Yea definately! I just started the blog I haven't updated in a little bit but I hope it helps some people and they everyone finds it interesting. I'm a LONG LONG LONG time weave transitioner and I can't wait to do my next comparison this month. probably won't be until the end of the month though. I go a while with my weaves :) Thanks for looking! And yea you really do get what you pay for. I have eliminated the freakish poof forever with the Velvet Remi hair. And you my dear have TREMENDOUS growth in 3 months what in the WORLD are you doing!!!!!!!!!!!????

I'm sorry I've been so busy following every update with Obama that I haven't been checking in. I was able to get great growth from Boundless Tresses. I love this stuff! It's sulfur oil, coconut and olive oil all in one. It stopped a lot of scalp issues that I had and plus I alternate use with MN mix.

Glitter

I got a nice amount of growth and my hair feels healthy. I went up in a weave in middle of May. I've been on a break since mid-October, but I'll be looking to go back up early December - April/May...hoping to be at APL by then.

Rapunzel*

can i join:grin:

ive been wearing a wig since oct.9,and i might put in braids after december 9th and new years will be my big reveal:grin:

Mwenye_Heri

Sooo time for an update, I still have the same install since September 20. I moisturize with a braid spray and infusium 23 mixture 3x a week now. On Dec 1, I will do my take down and post the pics. Mind you guys I have not seen my hair since September or has it been down for more than a day. (personal hide my hair challenge :grin:) So this will be interesting. I can't wait:grin::grin:

jamaicalovely

Sooo time for an update, I still have the same install since September 20. I moisturize with a braid spray and infusium 23 mixture 3x a week now. On Dec 1, I will do my take down and post the pics. Mind you guys I have not seen my hair since September or has it been down for more than a day. (personal hide my hair challenge :grin:) So this will be interesting. I can't wait:grin::grin:

How exciting

angenoir

Hi Ladies!

I just got an install on saturday using EP! Wow! This hair is amazing! No tangling, no shedding, no matting at the neck, no weave "bend" at the neck!!

Anyway, just one question for you all, I know most people here shampoo or cowash every week or every two weeks. I tried that with my previous install and the install didnt last very long after that.

I just wanted to ask if there is anyone who doesn't shampoo or co-wash or does it very rarely with their install and how it affected their hair. (Assuming that you still moisturized your hair underneath the weave).

I am askign because I remember reading a post either here or on another site where someone said she does nothing to her install except moisturize her hair lightly underneath the weave and her hair really grew.

All insights would be appreciated.

sweetsuccess

i thought i had joined this challange but maybe there was another one going on....... im definitly in........ ive been in.. ive been wearing sew ins left and right since July... with 1-2weeks inbetween of letting my hair breathe... and i did a few weeks of braids as well for the first time but am happy that those are out. i just got my last sew in of the year Nov 14th.. im excited.. it'll be out Jan 15th maybe.. somewhere around then... im exciiiiiiiiited to see the growth. my current siggy has my photo from when i took my braids out october 30th.

anywho, im joining!! and excited!

happy hair growing ladies!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

sweetsuccess

b u m p i n g :grin::grin::grin:
i know i use to wash every week and am now trying to wash every two weeks cuz im currently in spain, and the person who did my install didnt do it very sturdy as what im use to back home in ATLanta....
i just washed it yesterday for the first time.. n i dont wana bother it any more.. i mean, i do need to wash my portion of hair so i dont nkow how thats gona work.. i dont know.. i would prefer not to wash though.. id definitly love to hear what the ladies who havent washed have to say.. cuz id definitly try it.
moisterizing will always and forever be a must though :drunk::drunk:
Hi Ladies!

I just got an install on saturday using EP! Wow! This hair is amazing! No tangling, no shedding, no matting at the neck, no weave "bend" at the neck!!

Anyway, just one question for you all, I know most people here shampoo or cowash every week or every two weeks. I tried that with my previous install and the install didnt last very long after that.

I just wanted to ask if there is anyone who doesn't shampoo or co-wash or does it very rarely with their install and how it affected their hair. (Assuming that you still moisturized your hair underneath the weave).

I am askign because I remember reading a post either here or on another site where someone said she does nothing to her install except moisturize her hair lightly underneath the weave and her hair really grew.

All insights would be appreciated.

angenoir

Your progress pics in your siggy are impressive!!

Your hair has grown alot! Congrats and keep growing!

b u m p i n g :grin::grin::grin:
i know i use to wash every week and am now trying to wash every two weeks cuz im currently in spain, and the person who did my install didnt do it very sturdy as what im use to back home in ATLanta....
i just washed it yesterday for the first time.. n i dont wana bother it any more.. i mean, i do need to wash my portion of hair so i dont nkow how thats gona work.. i dont know.. i would prefer not to wash though.. id definitly love to hear what the ladies who havent washed have to say.. cuz id definitly try it.
moisterizing will always and forever be a must though :drunk::drunk:

MsGoody531

Good Morning Ladies...

I have been wearing sew-ins for two years. I only wash my hair once or twice a month and have never experienced any problems. I wear my install for 3 to 3 1/2 months and my hair does not dred, matt or tangle. Now, I do use the Organic Root Stimulator waterless shampoo once a week. I put some of the gell on a cotton ball and work my way around my hair and then go back around with a moist towel to get up any excess that might be sitting on my scalp. When I first started I NEVER washed my hair. All, I did was tilt my head back and put Doo Groo Mega thick or anti-itch oil on my scalp. I KNOW..I KNOW, but in my case my HAIR grows fast when it's dirty :nuts:. I dont know my hair type but it is super thick with allot of shrinkage.

Sincerely,

Ms Goody

Last edited:

ajacks

Good Morning Ladies...

I have been wearing sew-ins for two years. I only wash my hair once or twice a month and have never experienced any problems. I wear my install for 3 to 3 1/2 months and my hair does not dred, matt or tangle. Now, I do use the Organic Root Stimulator waterless shampoo once a week. I put some of the gell on a cotton ball and work my way around my hair and then go back around with a moist towel to get up an that excess that that might be sitting on my scalp. When I first started I NEVER washed my hair. All, I did was tilt my head back and put Doo Groo Mega thick or anti-itch oil on my scalp. I KNOW..I KNOW, but in my case my HAIR grows fast when it's dirty :nuts:. I dont know my hair type but it is super thick with allot of shrinkage.

Sincerely,

Ms Goody

I never heard of this but I will be looking for it now. I used to wash my hair every week while wearing a sew-in but I ended up with tangling and dredding, luckily my stylist is very patient so I haven't experienced a setback. Now I was every 2-weeks and my scalp is so itchy. Maybe this will be the answer. :scratchch :pray:

Last edited: