Hair Weave Challenge for the rest of 2008?

Amerie123

bumping for more responses for the "QUESTIONS"!!! Thanks ladies for the answers!! Very much so helpful.

mistee11

QUESTIONS......... (As many ladies as possible welcome to answer these; and I'm sure many ladies can benefit from this as well):

1. What's the best thing to do,(that u may know of), between taking down a weave install, and then getting a relaxer (i.e. clarifying, protein, D.C, etc)? I make sure to moisturize and add a light protein. Last nite I cowashed by sleeping in NTM and VO5 Moisture Milks. In the a.m. after rinsing conditioner out, I cornrowed my hair and let it airdry. I am wearing wigs to prevent from exposing hair to any more stress.
2. And what is the recommended time between taking the weave out and then getting a relaxer? My hair dresser told me that I could wait a week but I've chosen to wait 2 because I was using BT up until last week and I don't want to burn when it's time to relax.
3. And we all know not to wash hair right away after taking out weave (due to tangling, matting, etc), so how soon after detangling hair can we wash our hair after the weave is out? I washed my hair the same day I removed weave but I did have to go through a lot to detangle all that matted and dreaded hair.
Thanks In Advance ladies!!!!

ETA: We are all trying to prevent setbacks!!!
I'm hoping that I don't have too many issues with burning when I go to get relaxer because I have cornrowed my hair up to be able to wear a wig until then.

pureebony

Sorry if this has been asked already, but how do you keep a weave looking nice, my straight weave tends to go wispy like afro sort of, I don't put anything on it only brush it- what am I doing wrong?

chitowngal330

Sorry if this has been asked already, but how do you keep a weave looking nice, my straight weave tends to go wispy like afro sort of, I don't put anything on it only brush it- what am I doing wrong?

I try to wrap my weave every night and tie it up with a silk/satin scarf. that usually keeps the ends from getting matted. If your weave is long and hard to wrap, just use those long duckbill clips to hold the shape and remove them once you get the scarf on. Hope that makes sense.

kandegirl

QUESTIONS......... (As many ladies as possible welcome to answer these; and I'm sure many ladies can benefit from this as well):

1. What's the best thing to do,(that u may know of), between taking down a weave install, and then getting a relaxer (i.e. clarifying, protein, D.C, etc)? I clarify, use CON shampoo, Aphogee treatment and Moisturizing DC and put my hair in a protective style like clip on ponytail for a few weeks
2. And what is the recommended time between taking the weave out and then getting a relaxer? I say wait at leat 2-4 weeks
3. And we all know not to wash hair right away after taking out weave (due to tangling, matting, etc), so how soon after detangling hair can we wash our hair after the weave is out? I wash mine the same day I just detangle my hair well first.

Thanks In Advance ladies!!!!

pureebony

I try to wrap my weave every night and tie it up with a silk/satin scarf. that usually keeps the ends from getting matted. If your weave is long and hard to wrap, just use those long duckbill clips to hold the shape and remove them once you get the scarf on. Hope that makes sense.

Thank you soo much x how does a duck bell clip look like? and do you put any product in it?

thanks.

Tresses

COUNT ME IN!

I'm so glad I found this thread. I installed my first weave in May. Took out in August, then just re-installed in September.

I posted this thread yesterday but no one has responded yet:

I'm re-doing my regimen and I will be trying some recommended products hoping to keep them as my staples. A few being Wen, Aveda DR, ect.

So I have a few questions for you weave wearers.....

1. What are your staples while wearing weaves?
2. Are these your staples while NOT wearing weaves?
3. Do you think it is a good idea to try new products while you are wearing a weave?

TIA

Tresses

Thank you soo much x how does a duck bell clip look like? and do you put any product in it?

thanks.

As for product, this is going to depend on what type of hair you have installed. I have Virgin Indian Remy hair in and it DOES NOT like oils but loves moisturizing leave-in's.

HTH

bamachic08

hello ladies can i join.i know its late but i am wearing cornrow do until dec 1.i got it the last week of september.and i am stretching my relaxer til dec 15.

chitowngal330

As for product, this is going to depend on what type of hair you have installed. I have Virgin Indian Remy hair in and it DOES NOT like oils but loves moisturizing leave-in's.

HTH

Thanks for posting the pic.

I try not to put any product in my weave, only on my scalp. I typically wear straight styles, or hair with no wave, etc., so I stay away from products b/c they weigh the weave down and cause it to tangle more easily.

chitowngal330

COUNT ME IN!

I'm so glad I found this thread. I installed my first weave in May. Took out in August, then just re-installed in September.

I posted this thread yesterday but no one has responded yet:

I'm re-doing my regimen and I will be trying some recommended products hoping to keep them as my staples. A few being Wen, Aveda DR, ect.

So I have a few questions for you weave wearers.....

1. What are your staples while wearing weaves?
2. Are these your staples while NOT wearing weaves?
3. Do you think it is a good idea to try new products while you are wearing a weave?

TIA

1. I wash with diluted Keracare Moisturizing Shampoo and the Keracare Humecto Conditioner or Nexxus Humectress (I prefer the Keracare, but ran out). I use applicator bottles to apply a liquid leave in and moisturize my scalp daily with ORS Olive Oil Cream (just on the scalp in between the braids, not on the weave). I am also now using MegaTek Rebuilder for growth, so I apply that nightly after moisturizing my scalp and wash out once a week on my regular wash day.

2. I am almost always in a weave, but when I take it down, I try to wear my hair "out" for a week or two to let it breathe. After I take out the tracks, I saturate the braids with leave in, take down, conditioner wash, clarify (Elucence clarifying poo), oil rinse using coconut oil, Elucence moisturizing condish, ORS Hair Mayo deep condish under the dryer for 45 minutes, Optimum leave in, then seal with coconut oil.

3. I probably wouldn't try new products while in a weave b/c it's hard to tell how your hair reacts to the products since it's hidden. And if the product caused any dryness, breaking, shedding, etc., you wouldn't see it until you took the install down.

Tresses

1. I wash with diluted Keracare Moisturizing Shampoo and the Keracare Humecto Conditioner or Nexxus Humectress (I prefer the Keracare, but ran out). I use applicator bottles to apply a liquid leave in and moisturize my scalp daily with ORS Olive Oil Cream (just on the scalp in between the braids, not on the weave). I am also now using MegaTek Rebuilder for growth, so I apply that nightly after moisturizing my scalp and wash out once a week on my regular wash day.

2. I am almost always in a weave, but when I take it down, I try to wear my hair "out" for a week or two to let it breathe. After I take out the tracks, I saturate the braids with leave in, take down, conditioner wash, clarify (Elucence clarifying poo), oil rinse using coconut oil, Elucence moisturizing condish, ORS Hair Mayo deep condish under the dryer for 45 minutes, Optimum leave in, then seal with coconut oil.

3. I probably wouldn't try new products while in a weave b/c it's hard to tell how your hair reacts to the products since it's hidden. And if the product caused any dryness, breaking, shedding, etc., you wouldn't see it until you took the install down.

Thanks Chitown!!:yep:

IndianAngel22

Hey Everyone!!!! I've been on this thread sense it started and I've been using weaves to transition sense I BEGAN transitioning. I've started a blog to help everyone out because I have grown an entire new head of hair as shown by my siggy, and I am continueing to grow. It's been 3 months sense my last one and this weave should be coming out soon for another picture and I'm sure you'll all be amazed with the progress. If you are a transitioner or interested in taking care of weaves and all of that then you will love to subscribe to my blog. I've been wareing weaves for pretty much 5-6 years and I think I'd be a lot of inspiration for some people in terms of hair care, so if you're interested please go to my new blog and subscribe. :mmmchocolate: I'm very excite to do this for everyone :)

http://jantenkriselle.blogspot.com/

glamazon386

Im using a premium yaki type straight hair.

I meant what brand. It is virgin hair? Is it cheap hair? Yaki hair should not be going afro. Yaki hair is supposed to imitate relaxed hair. Some of those Indian hairs are kind of wispy too but I think that's bc it's virgin hair. That's why I can't be bothered with it.

MsGoody531

Can I still Join?

This is my #3rd post on LHCF and still wet behind the ears. *giggle*

I have been hiding my hair for about 2 years now using full head sew-in weaves. I wear the weaves for 3 to 3 1/2 months at a time with a net used on the top portion of my head because me edges are fragile. My last relaxer would have been in Oct '06 and all of the permed hair gone by Feb '07. I don't know what type of hair I have or how long it is, but it seriously thick and after wash and condition it has MAJOR shrinkage. I haven't had long hair since I was in elementary and am OBSESSED with growing long hair.

My last install was 9/27. My current style is my Avatar and in my Profile. The pics I have are when I take my hair down. I don't stretch it or anything, so that is why I don't know how long it is.

Next install will be at the end of December fresh for the New Year.

OT: I have read the acronyms list, bust still can figure out what MN is? Also, can anyone suggest good moisturizors and sealers for my hair? I currently just use Surge Motion Lotion Oil #9 (applicator tip), QP Mango Butter around the edges and Sulfur 8 light hair moisturizing lotion with an applicator tip between the tracks.

Sorry so long....

IndianAngel22

Im using a premium yaki type straight hair.

I HATE HATE HATE premium Yaki. I used to use Outre Premium Yaki and it did what I liked to call the "freakish poof" No matter what I had to brush my hair multiple times to keep it untangled and it'd continue to do it, especially if I washed it it was OVER. It'd continue to do this weird whispy fro tangly freakish poof kind of thing. It's all in the hair you use. Now that I ware them for a good amount of time i buy Outre's Velvet Remi. it does not do this but it is way more expensive. For the better hair you have to pay the price.

mistee11

I HATE HATE HATE premium Yaki. I used to use Outre Premium Yaki and it did what I liked to call the "freakish poof" No matter what I had to brush my hair multiple times to keep it untangled and it'd continue to do it, especially if I washed it it was OVER. It'd continue to do this weird whispy fro tangly freakish poof kind of thing. It's all in the hair you use. Now that I ware them for a good amount of time i buy Outre's Velvet Remi. it does not do this but it is way more expensive. For the better hair you have to pay the price.

Wow! You can see the healthiness of your hair in the comparison pics. I just visited your blog really enjoyed the read. Whatever you're doing, just keep it up! It's funny that you mention the 'weird whispy fro tangly thing' that you got with the yaki hair... i had that same problem with that hair. Come to think of it my wig that I'm wearing right now is doing the same thing! A few days after I bought it the ends toward the back are all tangly. No matter how much detangler I spray on them it doesn't help. I'm so mad I spent $36.00 on this wig! I guess you're right... you get what you pay for!

pureebony

well I dont think its remi, it just keeps shedding all over the place!!!! do you ladies have suggestions as to what type od straight hair to get, that is yaki- Im fed up with the shedding and poofy look!! I cant keep straightening al the time!!!

imstush

I'm dying to get a nice weave for the fall and winter so I don't have to apply heat to my hair. Any recommends for brands and types? I'm natural 3b/c, I prefer a straight weave. Thanks.

Candy1978

I'm down, that's what I was goin g to do any ways, and that's how I have acheived the majority of my length thus faf. My goal is to be BSL by almost BSL. I actually get my weave taken out this Friday, and I am going to put one back in a few days after. The new weave will stay in till end of December. I will post pics of my hair growth progress on Friday. Check out my fotki to see the latest.

NYRICAN1

Hi girls,

I need some advice. I have a sew in weave for already 8 weeks but I might not be able to take it out this weekend because I wont have the time since I have to work. I don't know when I will have the time. What is the longest you girls think it is safe to have the weave without experiencing breakage. I am relaxed and am about 13 weeks postrelaxer. suggestions please!! I would like to try for maybe 12 weeks but wanted to get help from the experts first:grin:

mistee11

Hi girls,

I need some advice. I have a sew in weave for already 8 weeks but I might not be able to take it out this weekend because I wont have the time since I have to work. I don't know when I will have the time. What is the longest you girls think it is safe to have the weave without experiencing breakage. I am relaxed and am about 13 weeks postrelaxer. suggestions please!! I would like to try for maybe 12 weeks but wanted to get help from the experts first:grin:

Bumping.......

Neala21

Sorry Ladies :blush:

I have been lagging a little bit on checking the forum but I've been really busy with starting school. But the following ladies have been added to the challenge. Thanks for joining ladies! :grin:

camilla
sweetsuccess
joyousnerd
kkamara5
misconstrue
anewday
cherokee
kweenbeediva
candyacyeliz
nappystorm
kandegirl
lesley
bamachi08
chitowngal330
indianangel22
candy1978
dehill02
msgoody531
imstush

As for my updates I am still wearing my net weave and this most recent install has been in for 2 weeks and will be removing this weave Nov 22nd (at 6 weeks) if I can manage which I am hoping I will. I will let my hair rest a week and assess it

chitowngal330

It definitely depends on how often you've been washing it and what you are putting in your hair to care for your braids underneath (oils, moisturizer, etc.), but I find that much after 8 weeks, 10 weeks max, I experience matting and tangling.

If you do leave it in for longer than 8 weeks, I recommend that you wash (or co-wash) at least once a week to help prevent any product, oil or dirt buildup. Good luck!

Hi girls,