Hip Length (HL) 2013 Challenge!!

pre_medicalrulz

It Always Been About Hair!
I think my shrinkage is starting to get to me :(

I blew my hair out the other nite to throw some chunky twists in. My hair feels so short!!!

But i pulled on one of the twists and paid attention to where it landed. The chunky twist reached BSL...so my hair might actually be right at MBL right now.

In my head i think im shoulder length. ::sigh:: i just hope to be near HL sometime next year. I will maintain either there or whip length by trimming an inch off every 3-6 months.

I feel like deep conditioning my hair...even tho i already did over the weekend.:look:

Sent from my Teleportation Device

SmilingElephant

Listen I have 32 wigs & every last one is curly. I own no straight wigs! Boooooring! My 2 aunts BC this year & now they have these cute TWA's w/ the most adorable curls! I am jealous. I'm always in the mirror looking at my NG wondering if I had curls like them. Aughh I heart curly hair but too scary to go natural because I don't want to be disappointed if my curls are not the way I like them.

Uhmmm I have nooooo idea where I was going with this but I love the thickness of your curls LOL ;)

SmilingElephant

SmilingElephant

Listen I have 32 wigs & every last one is curly. I own no straight wigs! Boooooring! My 2 aunts BC this year & now they have these cute TWA's w/ the most adorable curls! I am jealous. I'm always in the mirror looking at my NG wondering if I had curls like them. Aughh I heart curly hair but too scary to go natural because I don't want to be disappointed if my curls are not the way I like them.

Uhmmm I have nooooo idea where I was going with this but I love the thickness of your curls LOL ;)

:lol: Thanx!

Hey...don't be afraid to go natural...when you are positive you want to. My hair was your length when i decided i had enough of relaxing my hair...chopped off about 23 inches of hair. I too wasn't sure if i was really going to like my curls...but i do. I just wish the front would curl more tho :look:

I find that everybody's natural pattern fits them...even if THEY don't like it on themselves. It just came in the package of what we as individuals were born with.

ETA: Just ask my auntie BostonMaria how big of a fraidy cat i was about going natural.:grin:

Last edited:

marta9227

SmilingElephant I know what you mean about your hair always seeming shorter to you. I imposed a strict limit of 4 heat uses this year to reach my goal of waist by the end of 2012. I'm saving the last one for December 30th length check. (my avatar and siggy are from July, my last flat iron, and I'm really jonesing for heat, lol I used the first 3 up really quickly! ) anyways I pretty much bun or wear braidouts all the time, and my braidout falls to BSL. I'm grazing waist right now, but to me I'm BSL, lol. So I know December 30th will be so exciting! And then it's onward to hip in 2013! Woo hoo!

Sent from my ice cold evo 3d y'all!

SmilingElephant

marta9227

.....:crying3:...i want a BSL braidout tooo...:crying3:...

Lol! That's so cool tho! I was thinking about straightening in December too...but like u...I've done 3 heat passes this year. So...idk. i really want a new flat iron tho...with steam:) I might treat myself to one.

Im such a wash n go girl. Ppl just know me by my big curly hair now:lol:...i do wear buns too...but they are usually huge, messy, curly buns.

I rarely ever do braid/twistouts tho. My hair doesn't do well in protective styles. I can do them...but they have to be redone in a week. :ohwell:

marta9227

SmilingElephant I'm one year post transitioning without BC so that's why my braidout is a decent length. Don't have the guts for the BC, lol!

Sent from my ice cold evo 3d y'all!

jesusislove1526

I don't think I will get to HL by the end of 2013, because I have 10 more inches before I get there, so I will support all of you.

Seamonster

:thought: Humm, I am thinking after reading all of your post the key to long thick hair is to get pregnant. All these long haired post partum shedder up in this thread.

SunnyHoney

Seamonster said:
:thought: Humm, I am thinking after reading all of your post the key to long thick hair is to get pregnant. All these long haired post partum shedder up in this thread.

Lol! Too funny! I too was noticing all the "post-partum-ness" up in this thread. But before you go get knocked up for some beautiful hair, reread that part about my 5month old swinging from my hair like it's a vine! Not cool...There's got to be a better way to grow hair that doesn't require gaining 50 lbs and committing to an 18 year-long-unpaid internship in the service industry!

LaFemmeNaturelle

I think my shrinkage is starting to get to me :(

I blew my hair out the other nite to throw some chunky twists in. My hair feels so short!!!

But i pulled on one of the twists and paid attention to where it landed. The chunky twist reached BSL...so my hair might actually be right at MBL right now.

In my head i think im shoulder length. ::sigh:: i just hope to be near HL sometime next year. I will maintain either there or whip length by trimming an inch off every 3-6 months.

I feel like deep conditioning my hair...even tho i already did over the weekend.:look:

Does this sentiment ever go away? My classmates think I'm crazy because I swear my hair is short. I can't help it! I was feelin myself when I blowdried last week though. I was like wooow my hair really is long. But now that it's back in a bun, I feel bald.

Nevertheless, I came in to say that I think I want to get rid of my layers. They make it hard for me to bun, my braids get thin towards the end and I'm not sure if it really enhances the look of my curly styles anyway. So next year, I'll be trying to u-shape my hair up. I'll probably only trim once this month and then again early next year before the temp gets too warm and see where that gets me by the end of the year.

Glad to be with all you beautiful long-haired women. Let's grow!

blackindia07

againstallodds thanks for that link! But it made me kinda sad cuz I think I was well on my way there until both of my setbacks this year and now..... I asked my sister to trim my hair (she has been cutting my hair for years) I dont know what happened! I had ends that were grazing HL and she cut me back to BSL on one side and MBL on the other. Yes...you read correctly...my hair is crooked.

So my first setback earlier this year made my hair thin.
My second setback made me thinner.
And my third just knocked me back to the lenghth I was 3 years ago.

I just dont know what to do anymore....:cry2:

Jewell

Ive been lurking about this thread for months now admiring all the gorgeous hair you ladies have. Hoping to be HL next Dec. Pending no setbacks, and praying PP shedding does not rear its ugly head, I think I can make it. :)

NJoy

Here I grow again!
@againstallodds thanks for that link! But it made me kinda sad cuz I think I was well on my way there until both of my setbacks this year and now..... I asked my sister to trim my hair (she has been cutting my hair for years) I dont know what happened! I had ends that were grazing HL and she cut me back to BSL on one side and MBL on the other. Yes...you read correctly...my hair is crooked.

So my first setback earlier this year made my hair thin.
My second setback made me thinner.
And my third just knocked me back to the lenghth I was 3 years ago.

I just dont know what to do anymore....:cry2:

Oh wow. I feel your frustration. The only thing to do is keep moving forward. One day, you'll look back at your post and simply smile. You'll be back in no time. But you know this already. Still worth saying...for the now.

blackindia07

Oh wow. I feel your frustration. The only thing to do is keep moving forward. One day, you'll look back at your post and simply smile. You'll be back in no time. But you know this already. Still worth saying...for the now.

NJoy thank you. You know Im annoyed but really not mad. Im in NY and I know too many ppl that lost so much during Sandy last weekend that I feel REAL petty complaining about my hair.

NJoy

Here I grow again!
@NJoy thank you. You know Im annoyed but really not mad. Im in NY and I know too many ppl that lost so much during Sandy last weekend that I feel REAL petty complaining about my hair.

Yeah. A storm like that really puts things into perspective. Glad that you're ok. I'm from NJ and had never even heard of hurricanes until I moved to Florida. My heart goes out to those who lost so much. It's only stuff but, getting the resources released to replace the stuff becomes the next nightmare. I continue to pray for all affected.

blackindia07

Seriously...its humbling. But I wont go off topic anymore. I should post pix of my crooked hair that my sister insists is even just one side is more relaxed than the other. and yes she really did say that! LMAO

NJoy

Here I grow again!
blackindia07

Looking forward to seeing your pics. I'm already trying to deal with the thought of your hair being cut. But, I'm sure it's in enviable condition so, bring on the pics. :lick:

Oh, and a regi, please. You're avi pic is stunning!

blackindia07

NJoy Here you go!!! Everytime I look at these pix I cant help but smfh.

Eta: I just got off the phone with my sister and told her that I posted a pic of my hair on the site & she was too thru! She got all indignant...and said its te last time she cuts my hair if I'm going to make fun of the cut. And how it's my fault for rushing her oh and it because I haven't relaxed my hair in 6 months. All I can do is laugh because I can believe that I am the one walking around with crooked hair but she's the one that's upset! She needs to be happy that I'm taking it as well as I am because had this been 2 years ago....

Attachments

• crooked.jpg
    crooked.jpg
    6.5 KB · Views: 179
Last edited:

SunnyHoney

blackindia07 said:
NJoy Here you go!!! Everytime I look at these pix I cant help but smfh.

Aww, sweetie, I so feel your pain and I'm sorry for your setback. I have to say, though, what is a setback to you is the GOAL of many of us on here. Your hair looks so luscious and thick and healthy...and it's still SO long! But I know that from where you came from it still feels like crap to be cut against your will! I'm glad you have such a sunny and healthy attitude about it. I'm in an area that got hit bad by Sandy too, and you've got it right, sis!

I think your sister's reaction is normal. I'm sure she feels awful and doesn't know how to express it so it surfaces as indignation and defensiveness. My sister does the same thing when she's wrong and feels bad!

Just know, as NJoy put it, your hair is still enviable, and let's be honest, that's really why we're all growing all this hair, right? To be the envy of others! LOL (only kinda joking...)

blackindia07

SunnyHoney Thank you so much! that really was very sweet of you. Yeah we focus on our hair a lot here and after spending so much time, effort and energy on it its easy to get caught up but sometimes you have to take a step back and look at the bigger picture. And because of that my sister will live to see another day! LOL

I sent the first pic to my sister last week to show her my hair. This morning she sent me this pic of Chelsea Handler and asked me if I noticed anything.

I said oh ish...you cut chelseas hair too???? :lachen::lachen::lachen:

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 136
  • Chelsea.jpg
    Chelsea.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 114

Lucia

current hair status (natural, transitioning, relaxed, texlaxed?)
Natural, sometimes use cassia

current hair issues (dryness, breakage, etc)
fall shedding stopped, recently trimmed 1/4 inch off ends.

current regimen and products
AO: HSR, WC, GPB, for Cowashes and leave in, other leave ins for winter Blensblend 3-1 conditioner and butter to seal. Curly styling: kinky curly Knot today and curling custard, and/or eco styler gel.

future regimen changes/plans (if any)
no just sticking to what works.

post-hip plans (maintain? keep growing? cut? etc)
I plan to maintain at HL depending on how much curly shrinkage I still have, I want APL-BSL curly and I have shrinkage, so I don't know how long it will be straight for that maybe I'll have to grow to TL but HL straight with thick healthy ends is my dream hair.

Anything else you'd like to add about your hair or length goals/plans
no that's all.

my updates are in my fotki link in album updates 2012-2013
I'm MBL almost WL.about 3 inch away (ETA: took out tape measure to correct length)

Last edited:

NJoy

Here I grow again!
@SunnyHoney Thank you so much! that really was very sweet of you. Yeah we focus on our hair a lot here and after spending so much time, effort and energy on it its easy to get caught up but sometimes you have to take a step back and look at the bigger picture. And because of that my sister will live to see another day! LOL

I sent the first pic to my sister last week to show her my hair. This morning she sent me this pic of Chelsea Handler and asked me if I noticed anything.

I said oh ish...you cut chelseas hair too???? :lachen::lachen::lachen:

:grin: She should be ashamed of herself. It's not the same. Chelsea's has front layers the same length as the other side. If she brings more of hair from behind over her right shoulder, it will be the same length as the left. She tried it tho. :lachen:

Ah well. Like I said. Just a small adjustment and you're back on track.

blackindia07

:grin: She should be ashamed of herself. It's not the same. Chelsea's has front layers the same length as the other side. If she brings more of hair from behind over her right shoulder, it will be the same length as the left. She tried it tho. :lachen:

Ah well. Like I said. Just a small adjustment and you're back on track.

Yeah she sure did try! LOL

Small adjustment my left toe! I REFUSE to go back to full bsl...Im rocking my crooked hair until I hit hip length! Well at least all my straight relaxed ends are gone... LOL

Too funny! Girl, she was just hookin you up with that celebrity style! LOL

mmmmmhhhmmm....now er'body gonna be rockin it!!! :lol::lol::lol:

ManeStreet

Can people still join? Im not the best at checkin back in but this 1 should be easy for me to remember because its my final goal length.