How long did it take for you to nurse your hair to health?

how long did it take you to nurse your hair to good health?

• i'm still nursing my hair to health.

Votes: 427 56.2%
  • my hair doesn't seem to be progressing.

Votes: 19 2.5%
  • 6 months or less

Votes: 128 16.8%
  • 6-12months

Votes: 98 12.9%
  • 12 months +

Votes: 52 6.8%
  • my hair as always been very healthy!

Votes: 21 2.8%
  • other:please state

Votes: 15 2.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Bosslady1

macherieamour said:
Still nursing...

I work on one problem at a time

First, my hair was dry and I fixed that with consistent deep conditioning and wrapping at night

Then, I focused on breakage and Im curbing that with protein hot towel treatement

After I get my anti breakage routine down, im gonna focus on getting my hair to be more shiny:)

And so on and so forth:grin:

Ditto on one thing at a time.

I have the body/thickness. Now I need to curb the breakage.

Ms Red

Well I'm still nursing my hair and it has been 22 months. I started transitioning in April 2005 after I experienced bad burns (even bald spots) from a stylist relaxing my hair for too long with a super relaxer....

In the 22 months my hair has bounced back, thank God. No more bald spots, my hair has become extremely thick again and I only have a few relaxed ends left. So at first, I had to be extremely gentle with my hair just to get it back in good shape. The longest layer (nape) is now 3 inches past shoulder length when straight/stretched...getting close to APL. The shortest layers (front, sides and crown) are between 6-8 inches. My issue right now is keeping my hair moisturized in the winter and wearing protective styles. I am co-washing/deep conditioning twice a week and either bunning, wearing a pony or a fall to ensure that my hair retains length. I am shooting for APL (in the back) and full SL (everywhere else) by Dec. 07 :grin:

Nature'sWay

I feel like as my hair grows I have to continuously strive to keep it healthy. I feel like I have healthy hair now (short but healthy). The only time that I fealt like my hair was really unhealthy was before I cut it to a TWA for my natural. I had put color on top of color on it which made my strands super thin. I may be missing my length but I am not missing how unhealthy and thin my hair was.

tiffers

Whisper "bleep boop" to yourself when you're sad.
I've been taking care of my hair for maybe a little over 3 weeks, I'm still nursing it back to health. Although my hair has gotten WAY better, I still have a ways to go.

jaded_faerie

When I first started, it took a couple of months..after my damaging highlights it was taking way more then a couple months, so just ended up chopping it off.

rootdeep

Personally I'm still nursing my hair to health BUT to actually see the results of your labor I would say 6 months.

Misseyl

Love this thread.. I voted still nursing my hair back to health. I've been on this journey 3 years and my hair still isn't where I would love it to be. By no means is it as damaged as when I first started, but it isn't where I want it to be.. I'm not complaining about length either, I think I'm more concerned about thickness..But I'll continue my regime and in another 3/5 years, God willing, my hair will where I imagined it would be:) ..

Christa438

I think that I am still nurisng my hair back to health, but compared to 6 months ago the growth and overall appearance/health is way way better.

kamille8

I just started in February but I am so impatient it's like I want it NOW NOW NOW.:lol: Oh well....... :perplexed

healthyhairin07

I'm still trying to nurse my hair. My hair has been thin for as long as I've known. It's gotten better since I've gone natural, but I would like for the ends and my hairline to be thicker. I think I have breakage in the middle too that needs to be nursed.

I've been using Mane 'n Tail conditioner, daily cowashing, and keeping my hair wet and the ends oiled. More importantly, I've prayed to God about it. I can't wait to see the fruit of my labor.

IntoMyhair

KiniKakes said:
Still nursing my hair back to health. Its considerably thicker and stronger since I started this regimen last August.... so i see that it's getting there. And Ive gained a couple of inches, which is encouraging. BUt Im still having a bit of breakage, which concerns me. Not shedding, but actual little broken pieces of hair. Not a lot at all, but i would love to get to a place where i have NONE at all.

I have increased the moisture in my regimen, to make sure that lack of moisture is not causing the breakage, but no change. The breakage is a few short strands of hair in the sink, on my hands, and in my wide tooth comb when i apply oils to my scalp and my moisturizers/oils to the ends. I scrutinize the pieces carefully, and the ends that break off arent split at the end or anything, thank goodness (although i dont know how the remaining piece left in the hair looks now). I'm barely manipulating my hair when im doing this, so it seems odd for little pieces to be in the sink, even if just a few. So i figured its time for an intense protein treatment, like Aphogee.

your hair sounds just like mine i've

IntoMyhair

KiniKakes said:
Still nursing my hair back to health. Its considerably thicker I have increased the moisture in my regimen, to make sure that lack of moisture is not causing the breakage, but no change. The breakage is a few short strands of hair in the sink, on my hands, and in my wide tooth comb when i apply oils to my scalp and my moisturizers/oils to the ends. I scrutinize the pieces carefully, and the ends that break off arent split at the end or anything, thank goodness (although i dont know how the remaining piece left in the hair looks now). I'm barely manipulating my hair when im doing this, so it seems odd for little pieces to be in the sink, even if just a few. So i figured its time for an intense protein treatment, like Aphogee.

Your hair sounds just like mine i look at the pieces also I've never done aphogee
and i'm still nursing my hair also

Last edited:

imstush

Just started...I've always had this "cocky" attitude towards my hair because it's always been long and thick since I was a child. But I have a lot of damage, and one side more so than the other. So I am starting to nurse it and take all the advice I can.

Priss Pot

Makeup + Bench Pressing
It took me over a year (12+) to nurse my hair to health. After starting my hair journey in November 2005, my hair still didn't act quite right. I still had damaged ends from the constant permanent color that I had done to my hair. I started transitioning in August 2006, and in November 2006 (exactly one year later), I had only made some progression in health. I still had those damaged relaxed ends hanging on for dear life. My hair didn't become fully healthy until I did the BC on April 1, 2007. My hair felt so new, and I had reached a brand new starting point with my journey. Now, I can finally say that I have healthy hair.

Puddles

On Cloud 9
[SIZE=+1]Now that I cut the last of the fried ends off......I'm back in business. My hair is shorter....but it's healthy.[/SIZE]

tiffanyoneal

... I am still working on it. My hair was starting to come out alot being in the military and doing all that P.T. early every morning and not being able to take care of it like needed.
When I got out I started putting micro's in my hair and havent stopped since. That kept my hands outta of my hair and it grew a little but looking back I see that I was using the wrong products. Now thanks to the LHCF and BHM ladies I am on my way......

BillyJay

It took me 1 year to gain the health I desired. But I'm still working on a thinning area above my ear. Breakage is not an issue thank God and shedding is normal.

But in the beginning I had to cut off the damaged hair, so I guess I'm dealing with 'new' hair which makes it a little healthier. No chemicals, no heat.

bablou00

Still nursing....:mad: I feel like Ive been at this forever but only since Aug 06 I have been focusing on taking better care of my hair. I know those years of micro breads and not moisturizing or doing any protein treatments killed my hair. I am still cutting off dead ends from that:eek: I hate that I will not reach my goal length but I want healthy thick hair over length.

Everything Zen

My hair was always healthy... Then I went to college and got a relaxer for the first time. My hair grew and I was doing fine. Then the stress and the hard water caused my hair to break off and fall out even though I found out about the Crown and Glory Technique back then. I've been lucky though. My hair has never been shorter than shoulder length even through those times. After graduation, I wore my hair in braids most of the time and now I'm APL. I only discovered the forum about a month ago so now I'm hopeful again seeing all you lovely ladies and your progress! :)

Amour

TSUprincess04 said:
It took me over a year (12+) to nurse my hair to health. After starting my hair journey in November 2005, my hair still didn't act quite right. I still had damaged ends from the constant permanent color that I had done to my hair. I started transitioning in August 2006, and in November 2006 (exactly one year later), I had only made some progression in health. I still had those damaged relaxed ends hanging on for dear life. My hair didn't become fully healthy until I did the BC on April 1, 2007. My hair felt so new, and I had reached a brand new starting point with my journey. Now, I can finally say that I have healthy hair.

this is my story only I didn't BC I texturizered instead, my hair is profoundly more healthier though

caribeandiva

Human being
ok i can finally give an answer. it took me more than 6 months to nurse my hair back to health. now i'm waiting on the length.

SkinnyMocah

It's been almost a year, but I stopped any kind of regimen from about November to March. I was just tired of doing it and lazy. My ends still need some help but other than that my hair has done at 180, especially in the last 8 weeks.

freshlikemoi

It took me about a year. But...I am still nursing it back...I had to recover from glued in tracks every two weeks, pressing relaxed hair.awllll of dat.. My ends and edges were a hot mess. It was so nasty and damaged! Then I started taking care of my nasty chin length hair last year and it has gotten sooo much better that I never knew I could love MY OWN HAIR so much.

Creatividual

I said 6 to 12 months. Almost a year ago (in August it will be a year), I really started changing things. I eliminated putting heat in my hair everyday and got into deep conditioning, etc. My hair is pretty healthy now and waaay thicker than it used to be. I now experience little to no breakage really. And I'm soo glad I found this sight to enhance my regimen and learn what other women that have hair like me are doing to their hair to keep it healthy and growing long and strong.:D

ajoyfuljoy

I'm still working on it. I've been in Europe for the past three months (the time where I became hooked to this board!). But I ordered my Dominican deep conditioner and henna (thanks kinikakes for the henna tips on your fotki) and as soon as I get home I will start.

I put in permanent highlights about two years ago. That combined with the horrible way I was taking care of my hair made my hair raggedy and impossible. That's almost off my head, except for about two inches in a small part of my head. You can tell the difference between that hair and my current hair.

Once I get that little part off, I'll have a pretty nice head of hair. So I'm betting that by the end of this year I'll be in a really healthy state I'd like to maintain.

whitneysimone

I would say six months, I began in Jan and after all those months of finding out the regime that works for me, I think i have finally settled on something that actually has giving me progress. my hair has never been this healthy before and its only been months since it was in the worst condition its every been in even without a relaxer. The only things I am working on now, combating tangles and matt hair and also finding natural styles to wear so i can alternate between those and wearing wigs.

tsturnbu

Girl, until my hair is split end free, thick, and shiny, I will remain steadfast on my journey to healthy hair.

locabouthair

Im still trying to nurse mine back to health.Im doing everything right, moisturize every day, DC once a week, relax every 11 weeks, no heat, but my hair is progressing very slowly. My sides are very thin and broken off so I am trying to grow the hair back in those areas. I just started eating better and doing scalp massages so I'll see how it goes. By next year I will be near APL.

Last edited: