How long is too long for you?

MarieB

I joined this forum as a relaxed head wanting to grow long and healthy hair.

Over time, I decided that healthy hair was more important to me than long hair, and I went from relaxers to keratin treatments. Eventually, I decided that I was tired of struggling against my new growth, and went through a year and a half of transitioning with Curlformers and small trims (I am not brave enough to BC).

Currently I am probably around SL, but I keep it curly(my avi is my goal, and a longer version of how my hair looks most of the time), and haven't got time to flat iron/blow out for a length check. I am not sure how long I want my hair to be. I think I am pretty much willing to let it grow until it becomes a burden to deal with or I reach terminal length.

What prompted my post was a woman I saw at my job last week who had a braid that reached to about mid-calf (and she was at least 6' 1"). I don't know what it looked like loose, but it was not a good look in the braid; thinner and thinner the longer it went, and her hair line looked like she might have tension alopecia. All I could think was how much work that length would be and that I would have to declaw my cat if I ever wanted a moment's peace...and I am not calling in a committee every time I want to comb or wash my hair. So, I ask you, ladies of LHCF, how long is too long?

P.S. I had planned to post pics of my transition, but someone stole the laptop that had the majority of those pictures. That is a whole other thread.

DoDo

Big Hair, Don't Care
I joined this forum as a relaxed head wanting to grow long and healthy hair.

Over time, I decided that healthy hair was more important to me than long hair, and I went from relaxers to keratin treatments. Eventually, I decided that I was tired of struggling against my new growth, and went through a year and a half of transitioning with Curlformers and small trims (I am not brave enough to BC).

Currently I am probably around SL, but I keep it curly(my avi is my goal, and a longer version of how my hair looks most of the time), and haven't got time to flat iron/blow out for a length check. I am not sure how long I want my hair to be. I think I am pretty much willing to let it grow until it becomes a burden to deal with or I reach terminal length.

What prompted my post was a woman I saw at my job last week who had a braid that reached to about mid-calf (and she was at least 6' 1"). I don't know what it looked like loose, but it was not a good look in the braid; thinner and thinner the longer it went, and her hair line looked like she might have tension alopecia. All I could think was how much work that length would be and that I would have to declaw my cat if I ever wanted a moment's peace...and I am not calling in a committee every time I want to comb or wash my hair. So, I ask you, ladies of LHCF, how long is too long?

P.S. I had planned to post pics of my transition, but someone stole the laptop that had the majority of those pictures. That is a whole other thread.

Too long to me is past classic kinky, past mid-back straight/wavy.

Ogoma

I am going for Whip straightened, APL-BSL curly/coily/kinky. But, I am open to cutting that shorter if it proves to much work. I am more interested in getting there than being there.

Hellena

Never been past BSL so I'm not sure what's too long for me. My BSL was relaxed and tangled something awful! And that was really hard to deal with without a good detangling shampoo and conditioner.

pearlific1

Too long for me would be around WL. I've had MBL hair and it was the perfect length for me. It was long and still got caught in doors and such :nono: but not too long where it would take a lot to manage. I was relaxed bone straight then so the same MBL length on my texlaxed hair would be fab when I wear it curly.

cynd

Although I love seeing others with longer hair, I don't think I'd want to go past MBL. I recently saw a very tall, blond-haired woman at a store whose hair was past her knees. Although it was attention grabbing (I had to stop myself from following her :look:), it just looked .... strange ... for some reason.

oneastrocurlie

I just want to be shoulder length unstretched (no idea what that would be stretched).

Heck I'll take full neck length unstretched. Any longer and I think I'll stop enjoying my hair. Cut it. Then regret it later.

Jewell

Past knee length would be too long, MAYBE. It might make me resemble Cousin It since I'm on the short, petite side at 5'2". Although Snookie is shorter than me, I'm about her size. I want to grow my hair as long as possible, just to prove I can. Really, I cant think of "too long" a length on me. I'll hafta see when it gets to mid-thigh how I feel.

Now granted the woman OP saw needs a cut if it is that thin on the ends, some women prefer a natural tapering of the ends--that may be why she wears it like that. I'm more partial to a blunt U shape or straight across blunt cut. Super long hair can be full, healthy, and thick from root to tip. The lady probably has worn her edges thin by wearing her hair in styles that pull on the edges, and as my hair has gotten longer I had to stop wearing wet buns. Just too heavy and pulls at the roots. :nono:

It just depends on the person and the head of hair. :grin: I intend on having my cake and eating it too with VERY long, thick, healthy hair. My only enemy to success is doubting it can be done. :yep: My goal is to grow long until it won't grow anymore...so til death do us part, lol.

ETA: I only wear my hair down for special occasions, which is like a couple times a year. Even so, I end up swirling it into a bun half-way thru the day due to wind, seat belts, chirrens' pulling on it, etc. I love long hair, but I want it out the way if I get too busy or hot. That's what luscious buns is for. :lick:

Last edited:

Lovestyr

My cutoff is mbl, my almost full apl hair gets caught on my purse strap and my bra strap already that aggravates me sometimes. I couldn't imagine hair beyond mbl, more power to the ladies who strive for longer lengths :)

EnExitStageLeft

Fully Natural:TBL....HL stretched fully natural is good enough for me and even then I may end up at WL.

While Transitioning: WL.....I getting there and putting it in park until my curly hair stretches to BSL. After that....CHOP...CHOP!

koolkittychick

I would be perfectly happy with terminal length hair, meaning as long as it will grow and still look healthy. Even if it meant that I would only wear it out once in a while, since even at MBL my hair gets caught on EVERYTHING! I don't know how other longhairs deal with it, since this is a very new experience for me, but I love it! And I want more of it, more flinging it, more feeling feminine and pretty, more versatility with updos and downdos and all that. The end results I see in the mirror and in other people's faces when they see my hair are worth the effort. :yep:

ckisland

I think that going past mid-thigh might be too long, but like another poster said, I'll cross that bridge when I get there :grin:. Also I'm not worried about my hair being too thin if it grows super long because I don't have fine straight hair :look:. I've seen Native, Mexican, Jewish/ ethnic white, and Indian women with hair CL and below, and they didn't have that super tapered, thin thing going on that a lot of super long haired white women suffer from. Yeah, definitely not worried about that part of having super long hair :lick:.

naija24

BSL. I hate long hair and while I've never had it myself, my experience wih brads has taught me that if it touches my armpits or covers my whole face in the wind, I ain't about that life.

SlimPickinz

Summer where are you?
I think HL would be too long. I wear my hair down majority of the time, so that joint would get caught everywhere. When I made semi full BSL(I have bangs) it didn't seem long to me. But MBL is long. My hair tickles my lower back and it scares me. I need to trim to BSL.

Jewell

I think that going past mid-thigh might be too long, but like another poster said, I'll cross that bridge when I get there :grin:. Also I'm not worried about my hair being too thin if it grows super long because I don't have fine straight hair :look:. I've seen Native, Mexican, Jewish/ ethnic white, and Indian women with hair CL and below, and they didn't have that super tapered, thin thing going on that a lot of super long haired white women suffer from. Yeah, definitely not worried about that part of having super long hair :lick:.

That right there. ^^ I agree especially with the last sentence. Amen corner all the way...:yep:

Lymegreen

Waist length would be too long for me. Right now I'm full CBL and I'm loving it! But, I do want longer hair but once I get to BSL I plan to trim regularly and slowing move to MBL and just stay between MBL and BSL (wavy).

Past WL stretched or not.

I made my goal of MBL. When my hair's not stretched, it is SL/past SL, but not quite APL. Now, I am moving on to WL. So, that will make my unstretched hair APL. My hair grows out, not down. With my hair at that length, it's more than enough. I'll stop at WL stretched.

Lucie

Dancin' on sunshine!
Butt length. If there is a chance I can pee/poop (sorry) on it, ain't nobody got time for that!

Crackers Phinn

Either A Blessing Or A Lesson.
Butt length. If there is a chance I can pee/poop

All of this except Waist length is the absolute longest. Whenever I see people with super long hair I know with every fiber of my being that their hair has fallen into the toilet bowl while they were using it at least once.

Could you imagine your hair falling into a public toilet?

:sick:

celiabug

Classic. I wouldn't go past classic I think lol. Idk I've always wanted hair long enough to sit on.