I am utterly complexed...

webby

Think Slim
by how many members are claiming to have 3a and 3b hair types.

I'm just confused, because I see so many pictures that clearly look like 4-something type hair, but the member will have 3a in their siggy. I'm just what what types of products are being used, because I can't imagine that products meant for 4a or 4b, could be good for 3a hair and vice versus.

Oh well...just thinking out loud here...carry on

Last edited:

CatSuga

You ain't the only one. Sometimes I just want to bust up open in a thread and say, "Dem napps gurl!!"
I think that the hair type system needs to be restructured. There is a broad gap in between 3a and 4b. I've even said that there is a 4c hair type because I know plenty of people who have hair that is nappier than my 4b hair.

Straight---Wavy---Curly---Kinky---Nappy

CatSuga

webby said:
I can't imagine that products meant for 4a or 4b, could be good for 3a hair and vice versus.

99% of the ish designed for 4B hair is garbage. All these mark *** black natural conditions don't do anything for my nappy hair. I have to use Herbal Essences conditioner. I know plenty of 1A type people (white folk) that use products designed for black 4B type hair.

moda

Alright webby I came in with my dukes up
cause I think you calling me out :lachen: j/k. I can't speak for any of the other women but I know I was/am/will always be utterly confused by the hair type system, and I have had people tell me what they think my hair is and I still don't see it
I think also some ladies may be "typing" their relaxed/texturized hair

Ummmmm, and no I don't have any memories of riding a short yellow bus to school, I just don't get the ish, give me a calculus problem and I can go to town with it, ask me someone's hair type and I get
I still believe that crap does not cover everyone's head :ohwell:

Last edited:

webby

Think Slim
CatSuga said:
You ain't the only one. Sometimes I just want to bust up open in a thread and say, "Dem napps gurl!!"
I think that the hair type system needs to be restructured. There is a broad gap in between 3a and 4b. I've even said that there is a 4c hair type because I know plenty of people who have hair that is nappier than my 4b hair.

Straight---Wavy---Curly---Kinky---Nappy
:lachen: :lachen: :lachen: :lachen: I can't....breath :lachen:

webby

Think Slim
:lol: no cincy...I wan't talking about you...but there are a few people that make me think that if THEY have 3-anything, then I have 1a ;)

Enchantmt

Progress...not perfection
There is a lot of confusion on hair types. I have had folx tell me my hair is 3/c, I thought so at first and and it might be but I am leaning more toward 4a.If I put activator or moisturizer in it it curls up and looks 3c, but my hair doesnt do that on its own. I have to have some kind of "coating" on it so to speak, to smooth out the texture and define my coils. I figure I should type my hair based on what it looks like when I wash and dry it naturally, w/o product, but I'm not sure everyone does that.

Leshia

webby said:

I'm just confused, because I see so many pictures that clearly look like 4-something type hair, but the member will have 3a in their siggy. I'm just what what types of products are being used, because I can't imagine that products meant for 4a or 4b, could be good for 3a hair and vice versus.

Webby, *laughing* have you created a new word? What on earth is "complexed"? Is that a combination of complex and perplexed??? *SNORT* But yeah, I understand your post. I base many of my decisions to try new products on how it aids in the manageability of another type 4a's. So now that you've posted this, how far do you stretch your relaxers and what do you use to keep your roots comb-thru soft??

Leshia

cincybrownsugar said:
Alright webby I came in with my dukes up
cause I think you calling me out :lachen: j/k. I can't speak for any of the other women but I know I was/am/will always be utterly confused by the hair type system, and I have had people tell me what they think my hair is and I still don't see it
I think also some ladies may be "typing" their relaxed/texturized hair

Ummmmm, and no I don't have any memories of riding a short yellow bus to school, I just don't get the ish, give me a calculus problem and I can go to town with it, ask me someone's hair type and I get
I still believe that crap does not cover everyone's head :ohwell:

*looking around* Cincy, your hair looks great. But hey, can you really do calculus? Cool. *walks away scratching head*

Country gal

I have people tell me what my type is because I really don't get the hair typing system. I think people have such different grains (yes, I said it, damn it we say grains in the country not grades. It has to do with farming so I think that is where we say grains but I digress) of hair and it is hard to lump them all in catergories. Ms. ken told me I was a 4a/b but hell I don't even know. I know my hair is thick, curly and wavy in some parts when really dry straight up naps.

moda

Leshia said:
*looking around* Cincy, your hair looks great. But hey, can you really do calculus? Cool. *walks away scratching head*

Thanks Leshia! Yes I can really do calculus and would prefer that over "hair typing" any day

:lol: at Webby creating a word, girl you know on LHCF we always create words to meet our needs :lachen:

Last edited:

melodee

Web,

This is why I don't buy into the whole hair typing as there is plenty of room for error, it's not a science, and so many take "artistic liberties".

I have always felt as you do. I consider myself as "4" kinky texured hair. It is a soft, curlyish, texture but it's not like Mariah's or my daughter's natural type 3 locks. I doesn't brush out straight without heat or chemical, and it's bushy.

But I have seen pics of peeps who claim 3c,b, or even a whose hair is of a tighter texture than mine is.
I wonder if Andre would have presented it with kinky, black hair as type 1 and straight hair as 4--would there be more folks claiming type "1" then?:grin:

chocolate01

That is exactly why I refuse to type my hair. I have read that system a thousand times and still don't get it. I think we should just "mine" when asked about hair type.

senimoni

LOL at this thread. I've often wondered the samething, but at the end of the day I could really care less if people are delusional.

DangerouslyShy

Alot of people are just confused with hair typing, I know I am. especially since I have not seen my WHOLE head natural since I was about 8!!

MeccaMedinah

DangerouslyShy said:
Alot of people are just confused with hair typing, I know I am. especially since I have not seen my WHOLE head natural since I was about 8!!

That's why I don't understand how so many relaxed heads can say what their hair type is. How do you have any idea? When I first started my transition my hair looked very 3ish. But I know that I am a 4 now. Those first few inches IMHO cannot help you to determine your true hair type.

webby

Think Slim
cincybrownsugar said:
:lol: at Webby creating a word, girl you know on LHCF we always create words to meet our needs :lachen:
:lol: Now I KNOW I was tired when I started thsu thread, cause I didn't even notice that I wrote "complexed". I don't think well on little sleep :lachen:

Shatani

meh....i just labled mine based on what my "hair twins" have labeled theirs....hell we could ALL be wrong! :lol: i think generally, i just look for people whose hair looks a lot like mine, then i stallk their albums and buy the same products they use....

and like cincy, i would rather do calculus than learn the system....and then dont even get me STARTED on LOIS....im not even willing to read all that!!! :lol:

Tru_Mind

webby said:

Hi!

See Webby, this is why I tried to explain hair types...as many times as a did. I feel if you're going to use hair typing make sure it's right. I even started a thread and I posted Andre's hair typing pages from his book and I feel that nobody cared. I used Andre's book to figure out my hair type and I feel the anyone can do the same.

In the regular world(not on this board) hair typing doesn't matter...just use the products that work for your hair. Here hair typing helps everyone relate to one another...that's all. Which makes things easier. You know...if whatever works for her 3b hair might/should work for mines...see what I'm saying.

However, I do notice that 3b and 4a hair tends to use similar or the same products. Maybe the same products are used differently in some cases, but still it's the same products. Which is because 3b and 4a are some what similar. Also, because all 3b's aren't the same and all 4a aren't the same. Some 4a's are closer to 3b and some 3b's are closer to 4a's...see what I'm saying. Each catergory has a range of textures...if that makes sense. Which is why it doesn't really bother me sometimes when some get the two mixed up...but 3a and 4a or 4b...no, no, no. You're right 4a/b products does not work the same for 3a.

Also, I don't care when a 4a says that they're a 4b, or when a 4b says that they're a 4a...because I'm sure that they may be mixed 4a/b anyway.

I kept saying that I was trying to help...HINT. I see what you see Webby. Webby you're not confused. You're thinking what a lot of us are thinking.

What happens when a 4a or 4b that is not familiar with hair typing looks at those ablums and say, "My hair looks like hers...so I'm a 3a too." This hair typing mess is sooo frustrating, but it's not that complicated to type your hair...I just don't understand.

Webby I tried, but nobody seemed to care and I received a comment saying something like why am I creating another thread on hair typing...you see why Webby.

-tru

Last edited:

Tru_Mind

Shatani said:
meh....i just labled mine based on what my "hair twins" have labeled theirs....hell we could ALL be wrong! :lol: i think generally, i just look for people whose hair looks a lot like mine, then i stallk their albums and buy the same products they use....

and like cincy, i would rather do calculus than learn the system....and then dont even get me STARTED on LOIS....im not even willing to read all that!!! :lol:

:lol: Yep, Shatani the LOIS is a lot to read, but I thought...well if they can't get the number system then maybe this can help. Oh well...I don't know anymore.

-tru

asummertyme

good points every one..i keep trying to guess my hair type but i guess i wont truly know for some time, or until at least i do the BC..all this hair labeling is making me woozy...lol

mscounselor

I agree with this...I think the confusion spreads when newbies come in and see people with their hair type claiming something. They think, "well if it looks like hers it must be,insert hair type here". I read the Andre Walker book and believe I am a 4a. I say with some 3c because there is a section in my head that is DEF not 4. Maybe that will change when it all grows out.....

Dolapo

word...the last time i saw my natural hair, i was 15 so i somewhat remember it.......i cant even tell what it is from my newgrwoth. i KNOW i dont have waves. i think i might be a 4a

DangerouslyShy

I agree with you completely. I dont think you can determine your hair type by just your newgrowth. I believe you have to be completely natural.
MeccaMedinah said:
That's why I don't understand how so many relaxed heads can say what their hair type is. How do you have any idea? When I first started my transition my hair looked very 3ish. But I know that I am a 4 now. Those first few inches IMHO cannot help you to determine your true hair type.

Tru_Mind

DangerouslyShy said:
I agree with you completely. I dont think you can determine your hair type by just your newgrowth. I believe you have to be completely natural.

I agree! I always said the 1 or even 3 inches they say is enough is not enough...and that's from my own experience. That's why I tell people to look at their pre-relaxed pictures.

-tru

kristina

I think typing is confusing because there is great variety in textures in each category. And because people see hair differently. 3c (which, i know is not part of the andre system) is particularly difficult because it includes people with marker-size ringlets and pencil size ringlets. And when I posted asking my type, I got anywhere from 3b (ummm... no) to 4b. The majority said 3c/4a and that's what I think my type is but now I think the lion's share is 4a. If I'm smoking crack, please feel free to tell me otherwise.

Last edited:

angellazette

I believe I'm 4a :look: . I remember when I first joined I thought I had similar hairtype to many 3s and I clearly don't! By having a relaxer, it took me a while to realize that I wasn't.

Belle Du Jour

I think the majority of my hair is 4a but as it grows out, the curls are stretched a bit in some places. If you look at this natural and compare her short and long hair, her coils were very tight when her hair was short. Now that her hair is longer, her curls have stretched out quite a bit (in the year 4 album).

I have patches of a looser type 4 or type 3 in some areas, but I know I'm not a type 3. I think most of it is confusion or wishful thinking.

Also, in terms of product recommendations based on hair type, I found that what has helped me is looking at other properties of the hair besides the degree of curl i.e. strand thickness (fine or coarse), porosity, etc.

Tru_Mind

kristina said:
I think typing is confusing because there is great variety in textures in each category. And because people see hair differently. 3c (which, i know is not part of the andre system) is particularly difficult because it includes people with marker-size ringlets and pencil size ringlets. And when I posted asking my type, I got anywhere from 3b (ummm... no) to 4b. The majority said 3c/4a and that's what I think my type is but now I think the lion's share is 4a. If I'm smoking crack, please feel free to tell me otherwise.

3c confuses me, because it can very well be 4a if you read the description. I mean...truly...what's the difference. However, I do have some understanding of 3c. 3c was part of 3b...well on this board 3c is still part of 3b...and then 3c alone is listed. Which is why I say that I'm 3b, because 3c(tight corkscrews) is included in 3b's definition.

Here 3b is a medium amount of curl to “tight” corkscrews. 3c is tight curls to corksrews...WHAT?!...and then a lot of strand desensely packed together is added to the definition. Ok...so what's the difference between tight corksrews and tight curls to corksrews. Nothing!!!:lol: Then 4a is very tightly curled kinky hair. What????

This is part of the confusion. IMO, kinky hair is a lot of strands desensely packed togegether...right? I don't know. IMO, the 3c definition is making it confusing, because 3c(tight corkscrews) is still a part of 3b. On this board 3c(tight corkscrews) is still apart of 3b and 3c defined alone is 4a...if that make sense. I have no problem with 3c being added...but the definition is still part of 3b and the definition used to describe 3c...IMO, is the discription of what 4a looks like. For those ladies that say that they are 3c/4a you are absolutely right...IMO.

-tru

Last edited:

MissJ

Heck, webby, I thought you were a type 1 for a long time after looking in your album. Now, I think I was looking at one of your Dominican blowouts. :)