June 2017: Hits & Misses

KinksAndInk

Professional Napper
Hit & a miss: Madam CJ Walker curl whip styling soufflé - my hair is soft and defined and feels heavy but not in a bad way. I actually like it and would like to see how it works if I apply more carefully. I kinda just slapped it on.

The price makes it a miss, $26 for 8oz. I wouldn't pay for it but I will finish off my 2oz sample and happily take any others that I get. Well maybe during a Sephora sale or if I had a giftcard. Or if I can get 3+ uses out of this 2oz, that would mean that I could possibly get 12+ uses out of an 8oz, that would also persuade me to buy it.

Miss: Madam CJ Walker coconut oil - ehhhh. First off the sample was super tiny, .15oz. I used the entire thing in one use. Not heavy or oily but nothing special. Definitely not worth the price tag, 1.7oz for $26 and 0.5oz for $14.

Lissa0821

HIT:
Mixed Chicks Leave In Conditioner, light scent, slightly heavy in moisture and my hair doesn't dry in the sun. Summer heat and sun does a job of drying out my hair and I immediately could tell this product will help counteract it.

Miss: It doesn't mix well with my Wetline gel. I use it with my roller sets and twist outs only.

Last edited:

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
Hits:
Mango Butter. I've really been trying to isolate my butters to see which one my hair likes most. Mango butter wins by a landslide. It leaves my hair moisturized, conditioned and gives it major shine. It's also very light weight, extremely soft and easy to work with. I use it in my hair balm & deep conditioner. It's also good for laying down my hairline.

Ceramide rich oils. These plus mango butter equals the place where hair-heaven resides.

Fenugreek seeds. As a tea, it's uber moisturizing and nourishing to both the scalp and hair. It's also great as an oil. Matter of fact, I think it's the top star in that CurlyProverbz growth oil recipe.

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
is this the orginal original formula? If so where do you purchase yours?
@Satya_R
Yup. :yep:

The "Original-Original". When they changed Labels, AO sold everything on their site for like $4,00 or $6.00 and LHCF went wild. :lol:

I still have x3 bottles of it: x2 WC's and x1 GPB, I thought I had another bottle of HSR but I think I used it up.:cry3:

Satya_R

@Satya_R
Yup. :yep:

The "Original-Original". When they changed Labels, AO sold everything on their site for like $4,00 or $6.00 and LHCF went wild. :lol:

I still have x3 bottles of it: x2 WC's and x1 GPB, I thought I had another bottle of HSR but I think I used it up.:cry3:
Girrrlll I wish somebody would figure out that formula and bring it back. AO used to be my jam. Do you have a conditioner now that works similarly for you? My hair don't like nothin' I swear.

KinkyRN

Girrrlll I wish somebody would figure out that formula and bring it back. AO used to be my jam. Do you have a conditioner now that works similarly for you? My hair don't like nothin' I swear.
How is the new GPB formulation different? I haven't used it in years but I need to start back. Are the results still okay just not as good as before?

halee_J

Don't worry be happy
Revisited hit from way back: Elasta QP Mango butter moisturizer

New hit: Joico Revitaluxe conditioner. It's is a great balance of moisture and protein. Gives a lot of body. I could see this bringing the oomph back after a fresh relaxer or to help curls revert after a flat iron.

nymane

New Hit
Joico K-Pak Revitaluxe
- it's a hit! I used it straight up a couple of days ago after shampooing, and my hair feels like strong silk; it's shiny, and full of body, but I would definitely label it as a medium protein mask. It's not as protein heavy as the Joico DPR, but I'll probably follow with a moisturizing conditioner next time (a quick 2-5 min conditioner like the Moisture Recovery).

All in all, Joico conditioners and masks are always so on point. I use this brand exclusively (with the exception of my leave-in conditioner); best thing that ever happened to my hair :yep:

Lissa0821

Hit and Miss: The Mane Choice 3 in 1 Leave in Conditioner and Growth Oil. It smells so good and left my hair very soft and silky the first day. The next my hair was very dull and dry looking even though it was still soft to the touch. I didn't see any difference in maintaining moisture with the Growth Oil. I will use until all gone with my protective styles only.

Satya_R

How is the new GPB formulation different? I haven't used it in years but I need to start back. Are the results still okay just not as good as before?
I didn't use it as much back in the day...but from what I remember it's comparable. It's not game changing but it does make my hair feel good, so I'll repurchase and keep it in rotation - maybe as a CoWash condish. It lives up to its name for it's balancing qualities - it's pretty moisturizing and makes my hair feel a lot stronger after the DC.

Satya_R

Hits: Bentonite Clay Treatment - Bentonite Clay, Rice Vinegar, and Aloe Vera Juice left on for 1.5 hours. My hair was super defined, previously I'd thought my hair texture and pattern changed with my latest pregnancy, but my curls popped right on back after the mask!

Shea Moisture Superfruit 10 in 1 masque - Issa keeper y'all :). Left my hair sooo soft and defined

*I've been looking for other accessible alternatives to SM products but my hair has been SUFFERING lol, so I'm just using what works that I can get my hands on ::shrugs::

Sharpened

A fleck on His Sword
Hit: Fresh aloe gel beats the weakened bottled stuff by a mile. This stuff actually softened my hair after my DIY protein treatment, not just smoothed down the cuticle layer like the bottled stuff. My scalp is very happy; my scalp is never happy unless water is running over it. If I go too long without using aloe, scalp will remind me with the occasional itch.

Continued hit: pumpkin seed oil - I can detangle under running water with it. On the slippery factor alone, it may bump hempseed oil out of the #2 spot (#1 being cold-pressed castor oil).

gemruby41

New Hit
Joico K-Pak Revitaluxe
- it's a hit! I used it straight up a couple of days ago after shampooing, and my hair feels like strong silk; it's shiny, and full of body, but I would definitely label it as a medium protein mask. It's not as protein heavy as the Joico DPR, but I'll probably follow with a moisturizing conditioner next time (a quick 2-5 min conditioner like the Moisture Recovery).

All in all, Joico conditioners and masks are always so on point. I use this brand exclusively (with the exception of my leave-in conditioner); best thing that ever happened to my hair :yep:
How long did you leave it in?

NaturallyATLPCH

Hits:
Profectiv Mega Growth Shampoo

Sealing with hair grease-this is working very well. I remember my mom using hair creams when I was younger but not actual hair grease. Maybe that's why I never had this butt crack hair people speak of that they had when they were younger using grease. It also makes my hair easier to comb. Petroleum may be my hair's new best friend.

mzteaze

Pilates and Yoga Kinda Gal
Hit and Miss: The Mane Choice 3 in 1 Leave in Conditioner and Growth Oil. It smells so good and left my hair very soft and silky the first day. The next my hair was very dull and dry looking even though it was still soft to the touch. I didn't see any difference in maintaining moisture with the Growth Oil. I will use until all gone with my protective styles only.

I also have a love hate relationship with this product. It's my least favorite of their product line. If you put too much in your hair, it suds up. Plus I completely hate the way it smells.

mzteaze

Pilates and Yoga Kinda Gal
@mzteaze
Hearing about their 'scents' is one of the main things that kept me from even wanting to ever try this line, I hope the x2 items I bought smell decent.:ohwell:

I hate anything Floral and I heard the Pink Lemonade line smells cheap and fake-y.

I heard the Egyptian and the Moringa one smells the best from this particular brand.

I generally like way their products smell, but, the leave in conditioner has a minty medicinal smell that's less mint, more medicinal which is weirdly out of sync with the rest of their product line.

trueheartofgold

@IDareT'sHair, I have the Moringa spray and sealing cream. They smell kind of fruity but they are STRONG! Just this morning I was contemplating returning them because of the smell. I tested the spray and it irritated my scalp. I'm sure it's due to the fragrance. They're both purple in color so I'm sure they are more additives in addition to fragrance. I also tried the detangling shampoo. Smells like grape soda and is strong.

Just like @YvetteWithJoy, I returned the 3-in-1. It smells so bad to me.